[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474902 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1325 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
Junior wouldn't have made that team better. Junior is remembered fondly because of what was around him, not because of what he himself could do.

Junior was, like Koby, a below average point guard. The two were similar in terms of effectiveness. Junior was a little better finishing in the lane but didn't get to or convert at the line as well. Junior had a slightly better assist rate but couldn't shoot the three nearly as well. Both turned it over about the same, both were low-efficiency guys, both had comparable usage. Koby was a much better defender and rebounder.

Considering that what this team needed was additional scoring options, they likely would have been even worse with Junior, who was never much for scoring the basketball.

What the team needed was someone who could move the ball and facilitate offense.  Junior despite his faults did this really well.  Buzz defended him all the time stating ge was an excellent passer and he was, no 4th row passes from junior. He also could use his handle n size to beat presses single handedly. Koby n pressure was a nightmare
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1326 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:16 AM »

Gard's hilarious on Twitter.

Because its a verified account that hasn't tweeted once?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1327 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
No revisionist history here.  Junior was a step down from some of his MU PG predecessors.  But he did handle the ball well and facilitate offense well. Areas i would give koby a 1 in a 1-10 scale.  Our offense needed ball movement this year.

That's not all on Koby.  It wasn't moving at times when he wasn't on the floor.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
...hope so. A lot of folks are high on Turner, but after missing on RJ Davis, Carton is like a second chance at a top level 1.

Except davis was a combo if not a 2

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
Because its a verified account that hasn't tweeted once?

Gard not saying anything is funnier than when he actually says something.

(I was joking.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1330 on: April 13, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »
That's not all on Koby.  It wasn't moving at times when he wasn't on the floor.

The ball movement with koby vs Sy was black n white, imo

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: April 13, 2020, 09:41:20 AM »
I would take Junior over Koby as a point guard.  But I would take Koby over Junior as any other position on a basketball court.  Unfortunately Koby was playing point guard for us last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: April 13, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »
The ball movement with koby vs Sy was black n white, imo

Eh...  It moved better but not always productively.  Both weren't very good.

Assist %:   Koby: 21.2, Symir: 25.5 
TO %:  Koby: 23.2, Symir: 31.1

The best PG Marquette had last year was Markus.  Lead the team in assist % at 26.2  and drove his TO% down to 12.6.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: April 13, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
probably the last meaningful update we will get on Burton before he announces today... another follow up post from Brian Snow late last night behind paywall on Xavier board:

As of now, I do NOT think think it will be Xavier. Vibe I get is he is hoping to be eligible right away, and that is not something Xavier wants, and also he wants to be a PG, which is not what his role would be at Xavier. Ultimately I think Texas Tech is the choice, but I do not know for sure.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks Pakuni, and everyone else for their thanks. I know sometimes, with all the twitter and IG follows etc, it might be overkill and a lot of people don't care about those things, but I find it fascinating, and you really can gleen info in recruiting from it. I will continue to post anything relevant I see from the world of CBB.

The next info we all want to see from you is confirmation that we've landed 3 or 4 of these athletes - ha!

Seriously, even though I like giving you some guff when you go over the top (and you like to give it back), add my name to the list of folks who appreciate the updates.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:24 AM »
Gard not saying anything is funnier than when he actually says something.

(I was joking.)

Haha, i figured it was something along those lines.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »
Eh...  It moved better but not always productively.  Both weren't very good.

Assist %:   Koby: 21.2, Symir: 25.5 
TO %:  Koby: 23.2, Symir: 31.1

The best PG Marquette had last year was Markus.  Lead the team in assist % at 26.2  and drove his TO% down to 12.6.

I begged for Marcus at the PG, he had his issues there but i though we were a better team with marcus at the 1 n sac at the 2.  Less koby the better

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »
I would take Junior over Koby as a point guard.  But I would take Koby over Junior as any other position on a basketball court.  Unfortunately Koby was playing point guard for us last year.

Id agree but like u said.  I have no issue with Koby if he can earn time at the 2 or 3 next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »
Take the Koby talk to the ya know...Koby thread.

This thread is about transfers!!  That's why threads have titles.

Any timing indications on when Burton will announce?

I believe Turner is 1pmCT. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: April 13, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
Take the Koby talk to the ya know...Koby thread.

This thread is about transfers!!  That's why threads have titles.

Any timing indications on when Burton will announce?

I believe Turner is 1pmCT.

Re Turner:

Turner announcement at 3 pm ET.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1340 on: April 13, 2020, 10:53:54 AM »
From all the info, looks like:

Burton TT
Turner MU

Goal is National Championship

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1341 on: April 13, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
Re Turner:

Thanks!  2pmCT it is. 

Here are some junior year Justin Turner highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XamBBGPsWys

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »

Burton TT
Turner MU

Any word on Carton?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »

Burton TT
Turner MU

I'm thinking Turner ends up at the other MU. Hope I'm wrong. It could go either way.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: April 13, 2020, 11:05:12 AM »
probably the last meaningful update we will get on Burton before he announces today... another follow up post from Brian Snow late last night behind paywall on Xavier board:

As of now, I do NOT think think it will be Xavier. Vibe I get is he is hoping to be eligible right away, and that is not something Xavier wants, and also he wants to be a PG, which is not what his role would be at Xavier. Ultimately I think Texas Tech is the choice, but I do not know for sure.

This is interesting...Using deductive reasoning..according to this..X is out, I still say he's not going to Seton Hall, as they only have one scholly left. He wants to play PG..that may well eliminate Texas Tech. Why?? Well for one thing as of this moment they don't even have a scholarship available(you never know if that scares kids off) and he wants to be eligible this year..From what I gather what little chatter there has been about him on the Texas Tech board, they thought Beard would want him to sit out this year and then it would be his show. They have their PG for this year.

He could come in and play PG right away for MU. I also think it's interesting in that shortly after he came out with his announcement times, the MU twitter follows came flowing in...Including from Todd Smith and Allison Kellaher. The interesting one that came in yesterday was Potrykus. That one definitely made me go...hmmm

This may not be as slam dunk for TT as people think.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1345 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
Last time Louisville came out of nowhere for a recruit the kid's name was Brian Bowen.
Hmm.

LOL. That is a very interesting point you make.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »
This is interesting...Using deductive reasoning..according to this..X is out, I still say he's not going to Seton Hall, as they only have one scholly left. He wants to play PG..that may well eliminate Texas Tech. Why?? Well for one thing as of this moment they don't even have a scholarship available(you never know if that scares kids off) and he wants to be eligible this year..From what I gather what little chatter there has been about him on the Texas Tech board, they thought Beard would want him to sit out this year and then it would be his show. They have their PG for this year.

He could come in and play PG right away for MU. I also think it's interesting in that shortly after he came out with his announcement times, the MU twitter follows came flowing in...Including from Todd Smith and Allison Kellaher. The interesting one that came in yesterday was Potrykus. That one definitely made me go...hmmm

This may not be as slam dunk for TT as people think.

I know we make fun of this kind of thinking, but maybe Wojo has a couple in the bag and has cooled on Burton. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: April 13, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »

I know we make fun of this kind of thinking, but maybe Wojo has a couple in the bag and has cooled on Burton.

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind..several times. I found the timing of the Prohm unfollow of Carton extremely interesting..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1348 on: April 13, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Any word on Carton?

Extremely eerily quiet, know more bout Mane lol
Goal is National Championship

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1349 on: April 13, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »
Turner and Burton (assuming for a second Burton gets a waiver), would coexist just fine right?  Seem like completely different players to me.  From watching the limited tape of Turner there is - he seems like much more of SG/wing than an option at PG.