[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474884 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1175 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:16 AM »
I share your expectations. The problem is that I think that result would mean a mediocre team next year. If we hope to be an upper tier Big East team with a chance to make a little noise in March we’ll have to do better than that. We have lots of playing time to sell. Let’s hope we find a couple of buyers.

Lenny nails it completely. For me, it's all about next year right now. Again operating under the assumption that everyone will be eligible(if they want to be), in order for next year to be good, two of them are necessary. Not sure one of them is enough to get them in the tournament. Two?? yes, and the right combination could make next year REALLY good.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: April 12, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »
I share your expectations. The problem is that I think that result would mean a mediocre team next year. If we hope to be an upper tier Big East team with a chance to make a little noise in March we’ll have to do better than that. We have lots of playing time to sell. Let’s hope we find a couple of buyers.

Not only playing time, but established players can immediately be the featured player(s), high usage, go to guy in crunch time, etc.  Who would a Turner or Carton (if he can gain immediate eligibility) see as competition for that role next year?  Garcia would be it, and he’s a complete unproven commodity, although likely to be a core guy from day one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1177 on: April 12, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »

I expect one transfer.  I expect to be mediocre next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: April 12, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »
Trying to steer this ship back on course...

Chris Williams, publisher at Cyclone Fanatic said Justin Turner is a “Missouri lean”. And also added that ISU & MU a top DeJulius final 4

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: April 12, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
If we get any of these transfers, I’ll generally be happy and optimistic about them. But there is a major caveat after the epic failures of Chartouny, Morrow, and McEwen. We’ve been sold a bill of goods before on Wojo’s transfers, and I’m frankly tired of being let down by their miserable performances. 

Especially Turner coming from the MAC, color me a little skeptical about him. Carton would be the only one I would feel close to 100% assurance would be as good as advertised. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: April 12, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »
Trying to steer this ship back on course...

Chris Williams, publisher at Cyclone Fanatic said Justin Turner is a “Missouri lean”. And also added that ISU & MU a top DeJulius final 4

He put that out there yesterday and I'd take it with a grain of salt because he also said "I expect him to announce Sunday or Monday", after it will already known Turner was announcing Monday.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »

I expect one transfer.  I expect to be mediocre next year.

Think we’ll get two is my wild guess. No idea or prediction which combination. 

And then Wojo will deliver Wojoesque results because we all know who he is.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: April 12, 2020, 09:40:22 AM »
He put that out there yesterday and I'd take it with a grain of salt because he also said "I expect him to announce Sunday or Monday", after it will already known Turner was announcing Monday.

Turner aside, I would be very happy with DeJulius
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:48:05 AM by WarriorPride68 »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: April 12, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
If we get any of these transfers, I’ll generally be happy and optimistic about them. But there is a major caveat after the epic failures of Chartouny, Morrow, and McEwen. We’ve been sold a bill of goods before on Wojo’s transfers, and I’m frankly tired of being let down by their miserable performances. 

Especially Turner coming from the MAC, color me a little skeptical about him. Carton would be the only one I would feel close to 100% assurance would be as good as advertised.

I understand your skepticism, and it's warranted, but let's also not forget the good..Rowsey, Carlino etc, and I don't think McEwen's story has been completely written yet. As far as Turner goes, just remember this quote from a scout: Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.” The Mac also isn't as low of a level as say the Southern conference or something.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: April 12, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
Btw for anyone on 247, muguru has got to be true golden eagles - running at 120% at all times

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1185 on: April 12, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »

I feel like Chartouny and McEwen were a case of taking a step up that ended up too big for them. Morrow I actually think was mostly what he was. He didn't improve a ton, but his sophomore year at Nebraska and junior year at Marquette were very similar. I think he would be remembered more fondly for that year had Theo not taken such a step forward that cut Ed's minutes down. This past year he wasn't good, but once Jayce was healthy, there really just wasn't a role for him. I feel like he pretty much was what he was at Nebraska.

That's why I'm bullish on Carton, DeJulius (as at least a solid rotational piece), and Burton. They played well for comparable programs against largely comparable opposition. I share your concerns with Turner. He looks really good, but for every Damion Lee that is just as good when they make the jump up, there are a dozen Chartounys that just aren't able to elevate to that level.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: April 12, 2020, 09:53:57 AM »
One thing on Turner...One of his former teammates at Bowling Green-Jeff Uju is currently a student in MU's dental school  ;)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: April 12, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
I understand your skepticism, and it's warranted, but let's also not forget the good..Rowsey, Carlino etc, and I don't think McEwen's story has been completely written yet. As far as Turner goes, just remember this quote from a scout: Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.” The Mac also isn't as low of a level as say the Southern conference or something.

Agree certainly about Rowsey and Carlino, we’re certainly due for transfer success cases like they were.

I wish I could share your holding out some hope for McEwen.  I just see a guy not up to this level as Brew stated.

As far as Turner, transfers from A-10 and Mountain West were/ are miserable failures so far.  I would put MAC behind both those conferences. But Turner’s success far exceeded Chartouny/ McEwen, so hopefully means he’s an apples and oranges comparison to those two if he chooses MU. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: April 12, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
not so Good Friday in Omaha.

Mintz to Kentucky & Ty-Shon to NBA

McDermott can’t coach

#cancer

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: April 12, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »
The only surprise to me has been how low Alexander has been in some mock drafts I've seen. I can't shake the feeling that he'll be a better pro than either Powell or Markus -- better size, better all-around talent, far far superior defender. I thought he was the best two-way guard in the Big East. Creighton will miss him terribly.

He’s got the Vander issue. He’s just a bit undersized for the 2 in the current NBA. They actually compare pretty favorably in terms of stats, though Alexander is a better player overall and a better outside shooter. Which is why he’ll likely be a second round pick instead of undrafted like Vander

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: April 12, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »

We have and continue to "be sold a bill of goods" overall on Wojo
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: April 12, 2020, 10:09:05 AM »
Might not be the right thread, but putting McEwen in the same group as Chartouny is not quite fair.  His shooting number everywhere but from the line were disappointing, but he still averaged 10 points, 5 boards and 3 assists with an injured hand, and being either the best or second best on ball defender.  Chartouny averaged 3 points, 2 boards, and 2 assists, while losing the backup PG position to a combination of Sacar and Sam, when Markus got hurt.  Their relative levels of success at MU are not even close IMO.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: April 12, 2020, 10:15:14 AM »
Agree certainly about Rowsey and Carlino, we’re certainly due for transfer success cases like they were.

I wish I could share your holding out some hope for McEwen.  I just see a guy not up to this level as Brew stated.

As far as Turner, transfers from A-10 and Mountain West were/ are miserable failures so far.  I would put MAC behind both those conferences. But Turner’s success far exceeded Chartouny/ McEwen, so hopefully means he’s an apples and oranges comparison to those two if he chooses MU.

Some #'s on Turner from past seasons vs Major competition:

In 2018-2019 vs. St John's he was 9-15 from the floor, 4-7 from 3, 24 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds in 35 minutes.
Vs Buffalo(when they were highly ranked all year) he was 8-13, 3-5 from 3, 22 points, 4 rebounds, 1 asst
Vs Buffalo x2 6-17, 1-7 17 points, 2 assts, 4 rebounds

This past year vs LSU: 10-19 from the field, 4-7 from 3, 26 points, 3 assists 6 rebounds

Vs. Cincy he was 3-11 and 0-5 10 points, 3 assists and 2 rebounds in 20 minutes as he got injured that game

So even though it
's a small sample size, he has shown the ability to be big time against high level competition

So even though it was a small sample size,
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:17:05 AM by muguru »

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: April 12, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »

To be fair, none of those guys were considered the cream of the crop of their transfer classes, nor were they really balling out for their precious team in a competitive conference.

Turner is the only one who’s game worries me re: translating results since he played in such a weak conference. But he’s also considers a top 2 transfer just about everywhere you look. That has to count for something. Pretty high boom/bust potential

Carton/Burton/Dejulius are all considered within the top echelon of guarda available, and have all played in a power conference and out up numbers.

I think this is a rare opportunity that could really change the outlook of this team from a mediocre to poor next season to a very solid seaaon. We would need two commitments to do that in my opinion. And I think it’s very possible we do

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1194 on: April 12, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »
We have and continue to "be sold a bill of goods" overall on Wojo

I’m with Willie on this.  We need to get guys that fit Brian Wardle’s system.  We need players that can’t shoot or score.  The guys Wojo is looking at are too offensive-minded
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: April 12, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
Gang, Coach Wojo has to do something.

He’s got a set of three really wonderful recruits in Oso, Garcia and Fields, but so much uncertainty at the guard spot that we don’t know whether someone can step up. If we get any of the Top 3, we’ve got a shot at a pretty good team next year. Without a top transfer, we’ve got a problem.

If we get a transfer and Karim Mane, WOW.

What we offer is playing time — lots of it — and the chance to be surrounded by some very good recruits. Yeah, other schools offer some variant of this, but I suspect none have quite the combination we do, especially if Fields is as good as promised. The biggest weakness we have is Wojo Coaching up and getting our talent to the next level.

I’m down but not out on Koby. He was injured and he was trying to find his place in a Markus-centric offense. I’m a little more optimistic only because the offense going into next year has to be more distributive and multi-faceted. The good news is that our opponents can’t double or triple any one player.

Ultimately, my hope is a transfer is a bridge between now and Dexter Akanno stepping up. And that Dexter and Karim are 2021-2022’s starting guards.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
Btw for anyone on 247, muguru has got to be true golden eagles - running at 120% at all times

No...that is NOT me, I assure you..LOL But I do wonder who he is.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1197 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »
Gang, Coach Wojo has to do something.

He’s got a set of three really wonderful recruits in Oso, Garcia and Fields, but so much uncertainty at the guard spot that we don’t know whether someone can step up. If we get any of the Top 3, we’ve got a shot at a pretty good team next year. Without a top transfer, we’ve got a problem.

If we get a transfer and Karim Mane, WOW.

What we offer is playing time — lots of it — and the chance to be surrounded by some very good recruits. Yeah, other schools offer some variant of this, but I suspect none have quite the combination we do, especially if Fields is as good as promised. The biggest weakness we have is Wojo Coaching up and getting our talent to the next level.

I’m down but not out on Koby. He was injured and he was trying to find his place in a Markus-centric offense. I’m a little more optimistic only because the offense going into next year has to be more distributive and multi-faceted. The good news is that our opponents can’t double or triple any one player.

Ultimately, my hope is a transfer is a bridge between now and Dexter Akanno stepping up. And that Dexter and Karim are 2021-2022’s starting guards.

It’s Justin Lewis. Not Fields. He is the Ohio State quarterback.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1198 on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:28 AM »
https://painttouches.com/2020/04/12/ncaa-free-agent-tracker-april-11th-edition/

Updated the tracker last night. Only 2 "impact" grad transfers left. Maybe another 8-12 who could be starters at the high major level. A bunch who could be important pieces of the bench. MU still involved with 4 of the top 10.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
I feel like Chartouny and McEwen were a case of taking a step up that ended up too big for them. Morrow I actually think was mostly what he was. He didn't improve a ton, but his sophomore year at Nebraska and junior year at Marquette were very similar. I think he would be remembered more fondly for that year had Theo not taken such a step forward that cut Ed's minutes down. This past year he wasn't good, but once Jayce was healthy, there really just wasn't a role for him. I feel like he pretty much was what he was at Nebraska.

That's why I'm bullish on Carton, DeJulius (as at least a solid rotational piece), and Burton. They played well for comparable programs against largely comparable opposition. I share your concerns with Turner. He looks really good, but for every Damion Lee that is just as good when they make the jump up, there are a dozen Chartounys that just aren't able to elevate to that level.

I dont think Theo took any minutes away from Ed.  Theo is no world beater.  Ed was at times atrocious, the minutes were there to be had.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.