[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474883 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1150 on: April 11, 2020, 08:27:29 PM »
Let me explain..DeJulius to me, though solid, is not a big difference maker. Turner, Burton and Carton are. On a talent basis, to me those three are quite a bit ahead of DeJulius. I'm also operating under the assumption that everyone will be eligible next year, IF they want to be. I am also the type to look at the current season and not worry so much about future season until they get here.

I get this mindset. Here's how I view DeJulius. He would be coming in to back up Symir. He doesn't turn it over much and in the last 10 games of the year, was really good. 119.7 ORtg, 16.8% Assist Rate, 7.2% Turnover Rate. He's not Burton, Turner, or Carton, but he's a two-year guy that can be a reliable piece when Sy needs a blow. You need guys like that on the roster too. They can't all be 32 mpg stars.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: April 11, 2020, 08:29:35 PM »
Marquette needs an eligible-now point guard. Turner? Fine. Burton? Sure. But IF Carton comes on board and is eligible immediately, that’s all MU needs. Carton, current roster, incoming recruits. Let’s ball!

Agree Marq3332 as we were talking about My Son played much AAU ball his Jr and Sr years and is in the same Grade as Carton. His very good Friend and HS Teammate is a Strong 6’8was posterized by Carton and on UTube. It is only HS info and primitive info but Carton was regarded as one of the best overall. That is why he is #1 for me.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: April 11, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »
I get this mindset. Here's how I view DeJulius. He would be coming in to back up Symir. He doesn't turn it over much and in the last 10 games of the year, was really good. 119.7 ORtg, 16.8% Assist Rate, 7.2% Turnover Rate. He's not Burton, Turner, or Carton, but he's a two-year guy that can be a reliable piece when Sy needs a blow. You
need guys like that on the roster too. They
can't all be 32 mpg stars.

My Coworker in the office next to me is friends with Beilein and has talked with Beilein has been in his office and been to church with him recently. What primitive info I have gathered is not much. But to me DeJulius can be a starter but upon further reflection either DeJulius or Symir can be starters talent wise

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: April 11, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »
I think we both agree Villanova is Elite. If Villanova is, why can’t Marquette return to that level? I think Marquette can. Will require some change, starting off with a shed of the ‘it won’t happen’ mindset.
How long has Jay Wright been Around? No one knows how good MU can be under Wojo, if Wojo stayed that long. Wojo has the two highest ranked recruits coming into the Big East this season and that does not include Oso. Add some very good guards and keep them together to gain some experience and MU will be really good in the near future.
Fire Wojo and lose these recruits and MU becomes a real dumpster fire.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
Because Markus is as good as one of the top 50 players of all time?    Wow.   Kudos to Wojo for recognizing that and landing him early.   Without Wade on the roster, Crean went to 3 NCAA tournaments in 7 years.     Wojo has gone 3 of the last 4.     We can do this crap all day.    And I don't consider calling Wojo 'Crean without Wade' a compliment to Wojo.      I have spelled out my concerns about Wojo many times.    But he isn't going anywhere for a while.   

So, about recruiting.....
Not only was there Wade, but two other future NBA players were on that final four team. All three of them were easily better players(based on NBA success) than Ellenson, who is the only NBA player that has played for Wojo. Maybe Howard plays in NBA, but I have my doubts about that.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: April 11, 2020, 09:43:23 PM »

My Coworker in the office next to me is friends with Beilein and has talked with Beilein has been in his office and been to church with him recently. What primitive info I have gathered is not much. But to me DeJulius can be a starter but upon further reflection either DeJulius or Symir can be starters talent wise

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: April 11, 2020, 09:48:24 PM »

As I tell my adult children: FIND A WAY AND DO IT. Legally!
Maybe Wojo was foolish to chase them, but the last two years he finished 2nd on two big time guards to Kansas and Arizona, who are under investigation for cheating.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: April 11, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »
MU was on Carton early. Things have been very quiet and since then. MU now has gone after three other guard transfers, Do we know if MU is actually still recruiting Carton?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: April 11, 2020, 10:39:57 PM »
Not only was there Wade, but two other future NBA players were on that final four team. All three of them were easily better players(based on NBA success) than Ellenson, who is the only NBA player that has played for Wojo. Maybe Howard plays in NBA, but I have my doubts about that.

Excuse my tangent but after MU beat Cincy for the CUSA Title, That Day Mr. Harbaugh Tom Crean’ s Father In Law came up to me and asked me at Buck Bradley’s was Wade going pro. I think he thought I was someone else. I said to him I saw Wade getting in a very rusty car with ripped and torn sweats after the Wake Forest Game. I answered Mr Harbaugh I think he is going Pro.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: April 11, 2020, 10:51:59 PM »
My Coworker in the office next to me is friends with Beilein and has talked with Beilein has been in his office and been to church with him recently.

Hello, police - I would like to report a crime

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1160 on: April 11, 2020, 11:05:20 PM »
I get this mindset. Here's how I view DeJulius. He would be coming in to back up Symir. He doesn't turn it over much and in the last 10 games of the year, was really good. 119.7 ORtg, 16.8% Assist Rate, 7.2% Turnover Rate. He's not Burton, Turner, or Carton, but he's a two-year guy that can be a reliable piece when Sy needs a blow. You need guys like that on the roster too. They can't all be 32 mpg stars.

I think DeJulius may be better than his numbers indicate. They had one of the best PGs in the nation ahead of DeJulius on the depth chart. He was good enough that the coach played him out of position at the 2 guard for 15 minutes a game. This was for a team ranked in the top 20 of KenPom and as you pointed out, he started trending up towards the end of the season. I like Sy, but unless he makes a big jump, I would expect DeJulius to get the starting nod...

This all of course assume he even ends up here.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: April 11, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »
Let me explain..DeJulius to me, though solid, is not a big difference maker. Turner, Burton and Carton are. On a talent basis, to me those three are quite a bit ahead of DeJulius. I'm also operating under the assumption that everyone will be eligible next year, IF they want to be. I am also the type to look at the current season and not worry so much about future season until they get here.

For next year...Turner and Burton and Carton have the best chance of making major impacts for MU. So while Carton would be a tremendous get and I'd be happy, combining him with either Turner or Burton and it's much more impactful to me than Carton plus DeJulius. I say it would be a disaster...because if you look at who MU is up against recruiting Turner, Wojo has to win those recruiting battles against Iowa St(dumpster fire), and Missouri(not very good). In Burton's case, again it's not exactly a who's who of CBB they are up against. so to me there is no reason to think they can't/shouldn't at least get one of them, if not both of them.

I know TAMU thinks Turner is only the 5th or 6th best Grad transfer and I respect what he does with the transfer list every year, but people that are around college basketball say he's at worst #2, some think he's the best grad transfer available.

I mean I have to take a scout's word for it: Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.”

Now, I'm as high on Burton as well. His impact on a game is tremendous, but..I think Turner is a better scorer. I think MU needs that more than anything else next year. That said, that's why if they pull Burton and Turner that's tremendous and remains my wish. One of them and Carton...that's fine too, but to me not quite as good as getting Turner and Burton would be. Missing on Burton AND Turner and getting Carton and DeJulius to me would be incredibly disappointing. To me though, Burton, Turner AND Carton is NOT unrealistic and that's what I continue to hope for.

Getting 2 of those still doesn't seem like a "nightmare scenario" compared to, say, getting none.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: April 11, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
Missing on Burton AND Turner and getting Carton and DeJulius to me would be incredibly disappointing. To me though, Burton, Turner AND Carton is NOT unrealistic and that's what I continue to hope for.

Yes and there's a chance the virus disappears by 6 a.m. tomorrow.

You need to get a grip and I can't be more serious.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: April 12, 2020, 01:31:41 AM »
Hello, police - I would like to report a crime

Lol My Co Worker was in Beilein’s office the last year he was at Michigan. They were at Mass together when the Cavaliers were in town at Saint John’s Cathedral and Beilein called my friend by name and they went in
together.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1164 on: April 12, 2020, 04:54:26 AM »
I think DeJulius may be better than his numbers indicate. They had one of the best PGs in the nation ahead of DeJulius on the depth chart. He was good enough that the coach played him out of position at the 2 guard for 15 minutes a game. This was for a team ranked in the top 20 of KenPom and as you pointed out, he started trending up towards the end of the season. I like Sy, but unless he makes a big jump, I would expect DeJulius to get the starting nod...

This all of course assume he even ends up here.

Could very well be, but I think if the worst case scenario is that he's a solid contributor off the bench, you still need those kind of guys. Having him would insure some good guard depth for the next couple years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: April 12, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »
Yes and there's a chance the virus disappears by 6 a.m. tomorrow.

You need to get a grip and I can't be more serious.

I don't know why you are always seemingly so testy Ted. Look, I never said I EXPECT them to land all three, just that that is my hope/wish, and to me shouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities. I mean no one has announced yet, so until they do, it's still possible, right?? And I will point out that in regards to Turner, look who his finalists are..essentially Iowa St and Missou. They aren't who's who of CBB are they?? MU should win recruiting battles like that typically, wouldn't you agree?? In regards to Burton..look at his comments about wanting to play fast...also look at his other finalists..Xavier...I can see them as a maybe, but they are Guard heavy right now and really need another big more than anything. Hall?? They have one scholarship left and have to save it for Sanogo. Texas Tech just got a commitment yesterday which currently puts them one over the limit. They can probably make room for him sure, but again Burton said he wants to play fast...I go by that, a direct quote from the kid.

Carton...who knows about him, but still not out of the realm.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: April 12, 2020, 06:42:34 AM »
Not the right thread but HUGE Big East news...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
3m
Creighton guard Ty-Shon Alexander (16.9 ppg) expected to declare for the NBA Draft & barring a change of heart, his intention is to remain in the draft and bypass his senior season, NBA source told @Stadium
. Hit to a Bluejays team that's currently in everyone’s Preseason Top 4.

The only surprise to me has been how low Alexander has been in some mock drafts I've seen. I can't shake the feeling that he'll be a better pro than either Powell or Markus -- better size, better all-around talent, far far superior defender. I thought he was the best two-way guard in the Big East. Creighton will miss him terribly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1167 on: April 12, 2020, 06:51:01 AM »
I don't know why you are always seemingly so testy Ted. Look, I never said I EXPECT them to land all three, just that that is my hope/wish, and to me shouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities. I mean no one has announced yet, so until they do, it's still possible, right?? And I will point out that in regards to Turner, look who his finalists are..essentially Iowa St and Missou. They aren't who's who of CBB are they?? MU should win recruiting battles like that typically, wouldn't you agree?? In regards to Burton..look at his comments about wanting to play fast...also look at his other finalists..Xavier...I can see them as a maybe, but they are Guard heavy right now and really need another big more than anything. Hall?? They have one scholarship left and have to save it for Sanogo. Texas Tech just got a commitment yesterday which currently puts them one over the limit. They can probably make room for him sure, but again Burton said he wants to play fast...I go by that, a direct quote from the kid.

Carton...who knows about him, but still not out of the realm.

You are way overthinking things.  You ve just labelled it "disappointing" if we only get two of the four transfers we are shooting for.  I hope you understand that with those sights, you are bound to be disappointed again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:52:56 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: April 12, 2020, 07:11:11 AM »
Getting 2 of those still doesn't seem like a "nightmare scenario" compared to, say, getting none.

Well sure, getting none would be a "nightmare scenario", but I'm not expecting that to happen. Just saying, on the surface when you are a finalist for two of the top 5-10 transfers available, given who you are up against for them(keep in mind this isn't Duke, Kansas etc) not landing even one of them(Burton/Turner) would be incredibly disappointing I'd say. Maybe "nightmare scenario" is too strong, but disappointing. Does that mean I would slam Wojo for it. Nope. Carton and DeJulius would be solid, very solid, but to me just not as good as it could be potentially(at least as how things sit right now). Can we agree on that??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: April 12, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »
Well sure, getting none would be a "nightmare scenario", but I'm not expecting that to happen. Just saying, on the surface when you are a finalist for two of the top 5-10 transfers available, given who you are up against for them(keep in mind this isn't Duke, Kansas etc) not landing even one of them(Burton/Turner) would be incredibly disappointing I'd say. Maybe "nightmare scenario" is too strong, but disappointing. Does that mean I would slam Wojo for it. Nope. Carton and DeJulius would be solid, very solid, but to me just not as good as it could be potentially(at least as how things sit right now). Can we agree on that??

You've spent the past year hailing the greatness of Chris Beard, but now suggest beating him for a highly sought recruit should be expected?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08:30 AM »
You've spent the past year hailing the greatness of Chris Beard, but now suggest beating him for a highly sought recruit should be expected?

Bullcrap...I have not mentioned Beard but maybe more than a couple times. Look at what Burton said..direct quote..“The biggest thing is style of play," said Burton. "I ask the coaches what players I should be watching, and who I play like. All of that little stuff, and then I go back and watch the film to see if I fit in. I am taking into account tempo, how fast teams play, and see if I fit. I don’t know our pace at Wichita but want to play a little bit faster.”

If he goes by what he says, why wouldn't you think MU would be ahead of Texas Tech?? They play SLOW. Not too mention as things sit, TT is ONE over their scholarship limit. Ramsey needs to turn pro just to get them back to even. So given all this, why wouldn't you think MU should beat out Texas Tech?? Under normal circumstances, maybe not so much, but in this individual instance, give nwhat he himself said etc..yes, IMO.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: April 12, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »

You are way overthinking things.  You ve just labelled it "disappointing" if we only get two of the four transfers we are shooting for.  I hope you understand that with those sights, you are bound to be disappointed again.

Again, that is NOT what I said, what i have said repeatedly, that a combination of two that doesn't include either Burton or Turner would be disappointing to me. Carton would be a GREAT pull, make no mistake about it..But c'mon, can we honestly say that Carton and DeJulius(for instance), though good, wouldn't be a bit disappointing compared to say A Carton/Turner or Carton/Burton combo?? I want the most talent they can possibly get, and for me it's a combination of two of :Carton/Turner/Burton. I do think they will get two transfers, I'm just not sure who the two will be.

Let's also be honest, given what Burton has said, he should be a realistic get, right?? So to should be Turner, I mean, you only have to beat out Missouri and Iowa St. NOT Kansas, Duke, Kentucky. Both of them would be phenomenal, one of them, to me, and I'd be ok with anyone else they brought in, but not AS happy if it's both. make sense?? I just think one of those two is crucial..Particularly Turner for next year.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1172 on: April 12, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
Again, that is NOT what I said, what i have said repeatedly, that a combination of two that doesn't include either Burton or Turner would be disappointing to me. Carton would be a GREAT pull, make no mistake about it..But c'mon, can we honestly say that Carton and DeJulius(for instance), though good, wouldn't be a bit disappointing compared to say A Carton/Turner or Carton/Burton combo?? I want the most talent they can possibly get, and for me it's a combination of two of :Carton/Turner/Burton. I do think they will get two transfers, I'm just not sure who the two will be.

No because my expectation is we will only get one.  If we manage to get two, that will exceed my expectations.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: April 12, 2020, 08:54:28 AM »

For next year...Turner and Burton and Carton have the best chance of making major impacts for MU. So while Carton would be a tremendous get and I'd be happy, combining him with either Turner or Burton and it's much more impactful to me than Carton plus DeJulius. I say it would be a disaster...because if you look at who MU is up against recruiting Turner, Wojo has to win those recruiting battles against Iowa St(dumpster fire), and Missouri(not very good). In Burton's case, again it's not exactly a who's who of CBB they are up against. so to me there is no reason to think they can't/shouldn't at least get one of them, if not both of them.

I know TAMU thinks Turner is only the 5th or 6th best Grad transfer and I respect what he does with the transfer list every year, but people that are around college basketball say he's at worst #2, some think he's the best grad transfer available.

I mean I have to take a scout's word for it: Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.”

Now, I'm as high on Burton as well. His impact on a game is tremendous, but..I think Turner is a better scorer. I think MU needs that more than anything else next year. That said, that's why if they pull Burton and Turner that's tremendous and remains my wish. One of them and Carton...that's fine too, but to me not quite as good as getting Turner and Burton would be. Missing on Burton AND Turner and getting Carton and DeJulius to me would be incredibly disappointing. To me though, Burton, Turner AND Carton is NOT unrealistic and that's what I continue to hope for.

Everything bolded here is 100% your opinion.  I doubt you have watched as much tape as the coaching staff has.  You haven't spoken to any of these kids or coaches to get a feel for what they are like, who they are, how they have fit into previous teams, studied analytics or how the coaching staff plans to use these guys.

Iowa State a dumpster fire? 7 out of the last 9 years with 20+ wins.  Conf champs 4 of the last 6 seasons.  Terrible year this year but if you think they are a dumpster fire, Marquette is much worse.

If the worst case scenario is Carton and DeJulius, I think we are in great shape.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: April 12, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »

No because my expectation is we will only get one.  If we manage to get two, that will exceed my expectations.

I share your expectations. The problem is that I think that result would mean a mediocre team next year. If we hope to be an upper tier Big East team with a chance to make a little noise in March we’ll have to do better than that. We have lots of playing time to sell. Let’s hope we find a couple of buyers.

feedback