[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474839 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1125 on: April 11, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »
1a. Dejulius
1b. Burton
2. Carton
3. Turner

The dream is to get all 3 but that's a tall order. If I had to guess,  Dejulius to MU, Burton to Texas Tech,  Carton to MU, Turner to Mizzou

No offense, but this would be a nightmare given the circumstances. DeJulius, though good, would be my last choice of the 4. I would go Turner, Burton, Carton DeJulius in order of preference. I think they get two of the top 3...but Turner is the biggest one...they land him, I'd be okay with any of the other one's, I guess, but Turner, Carton and Burton...build Wojo a statue. That's my dream.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1126 on: April 11, 2020, 04:49:06 PM »
If we get one of two of the above four, where does that put Mane?

I think Mane won't make a decision until the transfer decisions are fleshed out. I can't imagine both him and Turner coming. Mane is far from a sure thing so I think bird in the hand and all that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1127 on: April 11, 2020, 04:52:10 PM »
No offense, but this would be a nightmare given the circumstances. DeJulius, though good, would be my last choice of the 4. I would go Turner, Burton, Carton DeJulius in order of preference. I think they get two of the top 3...but Turner is the biggest one...they land him, I'd be okay with any of the other one's, I guess, but Turner, Carton and Burton...build Wojo a statue. That's my dream.

Lol how would Dejulius and carton be a “nightmare”?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1128 on: April 11, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »

I'm not sure what I could take offense at. Those weren't my preferences, just what I think will happen. I definitely want Burton over Dejulius but my gut says that he will go to the Red Raiders. Dejulius is a solid pickup, I don't think the drop off from Burton to Dejulius is that steep. I prefer Carton to Turner personally. He's a future pro and at a more critical position. A lot of people have Turner as one of the top 2 grad transfers this year. I personally don't see it. He strikes me more as a top 5 or 6 grad transfer this year.
TAMU

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: April 11, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »
Wild that anyone would prefer Burton to Carton. 3 star recruit who averaged 10/3/3 as a sophomore in a decent conference over a freshman who averaged 10/3/3 in the best conference in the country despite a fair amount of off the court struggle. Burton can be a solid player at his peak, Carton at his peak is a first round NBA talent

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: April 11, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »

Was thinking the same thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1131 on: April 11, 2020, 05:36:47 PM »
1a. Dejulius
1b. Burton
2. Carton
3. Turner

Regarding this...

I think DeJulius seems most likely, but will depend on what happens tomorrow with the Burton & Turner announcements. I was always surprised we didn't go after DeJulius when he was in high school considering he played with Greg. I think it would be a solid get, maybe not as eye-popping as Carton or Turner, but a very solid guy to give us a solid point guard rotation with Torrence for a couple years.

Burton is the guy I want the most, but I agree that he seems like a Texas Tech guy. His on/off stats that Paint Touches found were absolutely eye-popping. I would rank him #1 on my own wish list. He may not blow you away with stats, but he does everything you could ask that leads to winning. His value won't show up in a box score.

Carton is a stud and I like what I've heard. He'd be my second priority after Burton. I feel like he could play alongside anyone on our current roster. Also like that he's pretty much certain to be eligible next season at what's probably our greatest need position.

Turner I like but I have no idea where he goes. I do like the Instagram trends.

In terms of preference, I would rank them Burton, Carton, Turner, DeJulius. In terms of likelihood, I would say DeJulius, Carton, Turner, Burton. I think we'll end up with two of them and be left wondering what Mane will do. Tomorrow to me seems like a double disappointment, but if we get DeJulius & Carton, that's still going to be one of the better transfer hauls of anyone in the country. Both were solid players in a very good league.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: April 11, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
Nothing boils my blue and gold blood more than posts like this. We can and would be THAT good again if we make the commitment to it and stick with it. We must!

In engineering, we graduated hundreds and hundreds of engineers in the 1970s and 1980s. They were equipped with the best know how of the time and were pretty well regarded engineers. But times, materials, processes and approaches change. Do we write off those engineers and say, times change? No, those senior engineers change with it ... or they become biz adders.

Same with Journalism. The only mediums in the 1970s and 1980s were print and broadcast. Now we have blogging, online and a host of other options. You either change and find a way to make money, or you become something else!

Our basketball program is no different. We went from being a Major Independent to being in two mid-major basketball conferences to arguably being in the best if not one of the best basketball conferences in America. We have upgraded facilities, have a brand-spanking-new arena and are getting access to player who can get us there.

It is too important for the university s overall visibility not to be among the best programs in America.

As I tell my adult children: FIND A WAY AND DO IT. Legally!
Amen, brother, amen!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: April 11, 2020, 05:42:26 PM »
Wild that anyone would prefer Burton to Carton. 3 star recruit who averaged 10/3/3 as a sophomore in a decent conference over a freshman who averaged 10/3/3 in the best conference in the country despite a fair amount of off the court struggle. Burton can be a solid player at his peak, Carton at his peak is a first round NBA talent

My preference for Burton is because Carton would only be at MU for one year. Talent for talent, yes Carton is better no question about it, but Burton you get for an extra year.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: April 11, 2020, 05:52:03 PM »
Possibly relevant, no position overlap, but how many scholies did Tech have to give away?

https://twitter.com/RedRaiderSports/status/1249093341498793984

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1135 on: April 11, 2020, 06:03:42 PM »
Possibly relevant, no position overlap, but how many scholies did Tech have to give away?

According to this...zero:

https://www.stakingtheplains.com/2020/01/02/texas-tech-2020-mens-basketball-recruiting-eligibility-chart-update/

Deshawn Corprew left the program, but that was at the beginning of last year and it looks like that has been filled. Maybe they are assuming Ramsey goes pro? They are also still in for Haarms. Wonder if there might be some Beard-trimming to come in Lubbock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: April 11, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »

Actually, they currently have NO scholarships. Signing him actually puts them over by one. But they still believe Ramsey will declare for the draft. That would give them one, not sure where they'd get another for Burton.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: April 11, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »
Regarding this...

I think DeJulius seems most likely, but will depend on what happens tomorrow with the Burton & Turner announcements. I was always surprised we didn't go after DeJulius when he was in high school considering he played with Greg. I think it would be a solid get, maybe not as eye-popping as Carton or Turner, but a very solid guy to give us a solid point guard rotation with Torrence for a couple years.

Burton is the guy I want the most, but I agree that he seems like a Texas Tech guy. His on/off stats that Paint Touches found were absolutely eye-popping. I would rank him #1 on my own wish list. He may not blow you away with stats, but he does everything you could ask that leads to winning. His value won't show up in a box score.

Carton is a stud and I like what I've heard. He'd be my second priority after Burton. I feel like he could play alongside anyone on our current roster. Also like that he's pretty much certain to be eligible next season at what's probably our greatest need position.

Turner I like but I have no idea where he goes. I do like the Instagram trends.

In terms of preference, I would rank them Burton, Carton, Turner, DeJulius. In terms of likelihood, I would say DeJulius, Carton, Turner, Burton. I think we'll end up with two of them and be left wondering what Mane will do. Tomorrow to me seems like a double disappointment, but if we get DeJulius & Carton, that's still going to be one of the better transfer hauls of anyone in the country. Both were solid players in a very good league.
Marquette needs an eligible-now point guard. Turner? Fine. Burton? Sure. But IF Carton comes on board and is eligible immediately, that’s all MU needs. Carton, current roster, incoming recruits. Let’s ball!

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: April 11, 2020, 06:16:34 PM »
My preference for Burton is because Carton would only be at MU for one year. Talent for talent, yes Carton is better no question about it, but Burton you get for an extra year.

They are all starters for me
As for talent and probably what they can bring to Marquette too
1. Carton
2a. Turner 2b. Burton
3. DeJulius
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:34:46 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: April 11, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »
Wonder if there might be some Beard-trimming to come in Lubbock.

Made me chuckle.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: April 11, 2020, 06:28:05 PM »
Ramsey will be going pro so that’s one scholarship open.

Just out of curiosity, what makes people feel good about landing Carton? That has been radio silent from everything I’ve seen, and I haven’t seen anything saying he’s cut his list down to any number of schools. Also, is there any timeline for a decision there?

Also, why do people assume we’d only have him for one year? I’d be more surprised if he is a one and done than if he’s here for 3 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: April 11, 2020, 06:31:36 PM »
Ramsey will be going pro so that’s one scholarship open.

Just out of curiosity, what makes people feel good about landing Carton? That has been radio silent from everything I’ve seen, and I haven’t seen anything saying he’s cut his list down to any number of schools. Also, is there any timeline for a decision there?

Also, why do people assume we’d only have him for one year? I’d be more surprised if he is a one and done than if he’s here for 3 years.

This is the one I’ve been wondering about. People put proximity + finalist from original recruitment together and ran with it.

IMO if they truly felt Carton was coming all along why the pursuit of DeJulius

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: April 11, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
This is the one I’ve been wondering about. People put proximity + finalist from original recruitment together and ran with it.

Read in an article that said something like
Most people feel Carton is down to Marquette and Iowa State

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: April 11, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »
Everyone assumes Burton is going to Tech, or even Xavier...however I can't get over the article the other day where he said style of play is very important to him, and he wants to play faster than they did at Wichita.

This paragraph stands out to me...

The biggest thing is style of play," said Burton. "I ask the coaches what players I should be watching, and who I play like. All of that little stuff, and then I go back and watch the film to see if I fit in. I am taking into account tempo, how fast teams play, and see if I fit. I don’t know our pace at Wichita but want to play a little bit faster.”

Of his four finalists MU by far plays the fastest. Tech actually the slowest.

Adj tempo per Kenpom:

MU-60
Xavier-191
Hall- 93
Tech-236

Wichita-101

So I guess Hall would meet his criteria, but again they won't take him and not have a scholarship available for Sonogoa. Xavier does not, and Tech most certainly does not. If he holds true to what he says is important to him...he'll pick MU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1144 on: April 11, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »

I think Carton is generally viewed as having a strong chance of getting a waiver to play right away and likely to declare for the NBA after next season. So the thought process is that Carton and Sy are our PGs in 20-21, and Dejulius and Sy are our PGs in 21-22.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1145 on: April 11, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »
Everyone assumes Burton is going to Tech, or even Xavier...however I can't get over the article the other day where he said style of play is very important to him, and he wants to play faster than they did at Wichita.

This paragraph stands out to me...

The biggest thing is style of play," said Burton. "I ask the coaches what players I should be watching, and who I play like. All of that little stuff, and then I go back and watch the film to see if I fit in. I am taking into account tempo, how fast teams play, and see if I fit. I don’t know our pace at Wichita but want to play a little bit faster.”

Of his four finalists MU by far plays the fastest. Tech actually the slowest.

Adj tempo per Kenpom:

MU-60
Xavier-191
Hall- 93
Tech-236

Wichita-101

So I guess Hall would meet his criteria, but again they won't take him and not have a scholarship available for Sonogoa. Xavier does not, and Tech most certainly does not. If he holds true to what he says is important to him...he'll pick MU.

This is the thing that gives me the most hope with Burton. Hope he meant what he said. Of course, coaches promise changes to play style all the time.
TAMU

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: April 11, 2020, 06:57:15 PM »
This is the thing that gives me the most hope with Burton. Hope he meant what he said. Of course, coaches promise changes to play style all the time.

Agree and Koby’s tweet saying You know what to do Brodie

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: April 11, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »

Let me explain..DeJulius to me, though solid, is not a big difference maker. Turner, Burton and Carton are. On a talent basis, to me those three are quite a bit ahead of DeJulius. I'm also operating under the assumption that everyone will be eligible next year, IF they want to be. I am also the type to look at the current season and not worry so much about future season until they get here.

For next year...Turner and Burton and Carton have the best chance of making major impacts for MU. So while Carton would be a tremendous get and I'd be happy, combining him with either Turner or Burton and it's much more impactful to me than Carton plus DeJulius. I say it would be a disaster...because if you look at who MU is up against recruiting Turner, Wojo has to win those recruiting battles against Iowa St(dumpster fire), and Missouri(not very good). In Burton's case, again it's not exactly a who's who of CBB they are up against. so to me there is no reason to think they can't/shouldn't at least get one of them, if not both of them.

I know TAMU thinks Turner is only the 5th or 6th best Grad transfer and I respect what he does with the transfer list every year, but people that are around college basketball say he's at worst #2, some think he's the best grad transfer available.

I mean I have to take a scout's word for it: Scout’s take: “Big-time three-level scorer. Has a gift for getting places with the ball. He is really good on or off the ball. He’s one of those guys, if he gets it going, you’re in for a long night. Whichever high-major he ends up at, he will likely be their best player.”

Now, I'm as high on Burton as well. His impact on a game is tremendous, but..I think Turner is a better scorer. I think MU needs that more than anything else next year. That said, that's why if they pull Burton and Turner that's tremendous and remains my wish. One of them and Carton...that's fine too, but to me not quite as good as getting Turner and Burton would be. Missing on Burton AND Turner and getting Carton and DeJulius to me would be incredibly disappointing. To me though, Burton, Turner AND Carton is NOT unrealistic and that's what I continue to hope for.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: April 11, 2020, 07:12:22 PM »

However, MU has always played fast under Wojo...at least faster then his other candidates. So they can say we'll play faster, Wojo can say it and mean it.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: April 11, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
I think Carton is generally viewed as having a strong chance of getting a waiver to play right away and likely to declare for the NBA after next season. So the thought process is that Carton and Sy are our PGs in 20-21, and Dejulius and Sy are our PGs in 21-22.

Fair. IMO, I would be pretty surprised if anyone has to sit out next year

feedback