[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474868 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1075 on: April 11, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
Frankly, it's elementary. If you can't win in March, you're the wrong man for the job. Its just that clear and simple, particularly for a school like Marquette.
Outside of Al and Buzz, generally MU has not been good in March.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: April 11, 2020, 09:25:49 AM »
Outside of Al and Buzz, generally MU has not been good in March.
Clean and Wade did okay.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: April 11, 2020, 09:30:32 AM »
Clean and Wade did okay.

Crean won one NCAA game without Wade on his roster.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: April 11, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »
WE ARE MARQUETTE...your idea of success might ok for Creighton. But this is Marquette. A basketball heritage few can replicate. Let’s start acting like the big boy we are!! WE ARE MARQUETTE!!
We had the Great Al years, which at this point is ancient history. Outside of that we have been to the final four once since 1977. It seems to me that most posters here do not have a reasonable expectation for MU basketball.

I know that I would like to see MU make the NCAA tournament every year and at least make the Sweet 16 every other year. Is that realistic, probably not. However, even if we did that we still would not be in the class of Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas. 

I started going to games before Al was coach. I loved the Al years and wish those years would happen again. I also know that it it is very unlikely that it will happen again no matter who is our coach.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: April 11, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: April 11, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
I like Doc. We have had good conversations about being grandparents, enjoying family and friends, etc. I know that he is a good guy and that he is a big-time Marquette fan who wants the Warriors to win and win big.

I don't blame him for thinking Wojo should go. He's hardly the only one with that opinion, and it's hard to say those opinions aren't justified. Even I have gone from one of the most pro-Wojo Scoopers to realizing we might have to cut him loose to move the program forward.

And I do NOT think he wants the Warriors to lose. I certainly didn't say he did.

What I said, and what I believe his posting history shows, is that he gets some weird satisfaction out of Wojo missing on recruits. At the first sign that a talked-about recruit even might go elsewhere, Doc makes a snarky post about "green wienies" or some such. He seems to enjoy it when Wojo doesn't land recruits.

Wojo actually has been a pretty darn good recruiter. Not a great one, but pretty darn good. If he has done a lousy job of coaching 'em up, that's a whole 'nother thing to debate, and it really has nothing to do with this particular discussion.

I happen to think it's possible to dislike Wojo as a coach -- and even to want him gowne, gowne, gowne -- without celebrating his every recruiting miss. Others are free to disagree.
What a crazy rational post. WTF?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: April 11, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice to be there again?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: April 11, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »
We had the Great Al years, which at this point is ancient history. Outside of that we have been to the final four once since 1977. It seems to me that most posters here do not have a reasonable expectation for MU basketball.

I know that I would like to see MU make the NCAA tournament every year and at least make the Sweet 16 every other year. Is that realistic, probably not. However, even if we did that we still would not be in the class of Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas. 

I started going to games before Al was coach. I loved the Al years and wish those years would happen again. I also know that it it is very unlikely that it will happen again no matter who is our coach.
Why do you feel Marquette can’t be among the Elite? What’s the roadblock? Gonzaga is Elite...why not MU?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice to be there again?

3 of the last 4 years. (yes, I count the 19-20 as having made it, as all of the bracket projections had MU in)    Whereas Crean made it 5 out of 9.     I have frequently said that Wojo is Crean without Wade.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: April 11, 2020, 09:42:07 AM »
Why do you feel Marquette can’t be among the Elite? What’s the roadblock? Gonzaga is Elite...why not MU?

Because they don’t play in a conference where they can go 17-1 without breaking a sweat and get a 1 seed in order to play a 16 seed and then a team about the level of Marquette’s team the past season to make it to the second weekend.

Gonzaga is not an elite basketball program.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: April 11, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Clean and Wade did okay.
The first year of Wade they lost in first round of NCAA tournament to Tulsa. Next year with Wade, I believe they lost in first round of conference tournament and then made a run to an embarrassing loss in the Final 4.
In that run they almost lost the first round game to Holy Cross and then beat Missouri in overtime.
Without looking it up, I think Crean only won 5 NCAA tournament games in 9 years, with four coming in the final 4 run. Without Wade there would be no final four since 1977. This no different that, if Dayton had made the final four this year with their great player. A special player can result in a great year, but that does not make the program great over the long run.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: April 11, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
Because they don’t play in a conference where they can go 17-1 without breaking a sweat and get a 1 seed in order to play a 16 seed and then a team about the level of Marquette’s team the past season to make it to the second weekend.

Gonzaga is not an elite basketball program.
I think we both agree Villanova is Elite. If Villanova is, why can’t Marquette return to that level? I think Marquette can. Will require some change, starting off with a shed of the ‘it won’t happen’ mindset.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: April 11, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
Burton announcing Monday

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: April 11, 2020, 09:51:28 AM »
Gonzaga was doing well under Munson and Few kept it going. It is much easier for Gonzaga to be the top team in their conference every year, then it would be for MU to be the top team in the Big East every year. There were many years were Gonzaga was highly seeded and did not get out of the first two rounds. I think most posters here would be complaining if MU had Gonzaga's NCAA record over the last 20 years. I could be wrong but, I think Gonzaga also has had only one final four appearance in that time, which is the same as MU. Gonzaga has great consistency in their program, which is what makes them appear great, but they are not elite like the blue bloods..

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: April 11, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »
The first year of Wade they lost in first round of NCAA tournament to Tulsa. Next year with Wade, I believe they lost in first round of conference tournament and then made a run to an embarrassing loss in the Final 4.
In that run they almost lost the first round game to Holy Cross and then beat Missouri in overtime.
Without looking it up, I think Crean only won 5 NCAA tournament games in 9 years, with four coming in the final 4 run. Without Wade there would be no final four since 1977. This no different that, if Dayton had made the final four this year with their great player. A special player can result in a great year, but that does not make the program great over the long run.
Understood. I get it. MU fan's opinion on Wojo would be a lot different if he had Crean's level of success even if it was not that great as you point out.

Difficult times for MU.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: April 11, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
3 of the last 4 years. (yes, I count the 19-20 as having made it, as all of the bracket projections had MU in)    Whereas Crean made it 5 out of 9.     I have frequently said that Wojo is Crean without Wade.
I think this is fair.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1091 on: April 11, 2020, 09:53:12 AM »

Gonzaga is not "elite."  Unless you classify "elite" as one final four and zero national championships.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: April 11, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »
Burton announcing Monday

Hey look! Transfer news!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1093 on: April 11, 2020, 09:58:14 AM »
I think most posters here would be complaining if MU had Gonzaga's NCAA record over the last 20 years.

Nothing truer has ever been said, especially if it was under one coach. There's a decent contingent that will never be satisfied.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: April 11, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »
Gonzaga was doing well under Munson and Few kept it going. It is much easier for Gonzaga to be the top team in their conference every year, then it would be for MU to be the top team in the Big East every year. There were many years were Gonzaga was highly seeded and did not get out of the first two rounds. I think most posters here would be complaining if MU had Gonzaga's NCAA record over the last 20 years. I could be wrong but, I think Gonzaga also has had only one final four appearance in that time, which is the same as MU. Gonzaga has great consistency in their program, which is what makes them appear great, but they are not elite like the blue bloods..
While not a blue blood, GU is way better than MU. It would be incredibly unfair to expect Wojo to get us to GU's level.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: April 11, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »

Nothing boils my blue and gold blood more than posts like this. We can and would be THAT good again if we make the commitment to it and stick with it. We must!

In engineering, we graduated hundreds and hundreds of engineers in the 1970s and 1980s. They were equipped with the best know how of the time and were pretty well regarded engineers. But times, materials, processes and approaches change. Do we write off those engineers and say, times change? No, those senior engineers change with it ... or they become biz adders.

Same with Journalism. The only mediums in the 1970s and 1980s were print and broadcast. Now we have blogging, online and a host of other options. You either change and find a way to make money, or you become something else!

Our basketball program is no different. We went from being a Major Independent to being in two mid-major basketball conferences to arguably being in the best if not one of the best basketball conferences in America. We have upgraded facilities, have a brand-spanking-new arena and are getting access to player who can get us there.

It is too important for the university s overall visibility not to be among the best programs in America.

As I tell my adult children: FIND A WAY AND DO IT. Legally!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:04:37 AM by dgies9156 »

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: April 11, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
I hate this website

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: April 11, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
Nothing truer has ever been said, especially if it was under one coach. There's a decent contingent that will never be satisfied.
Same can be said of Alabama football fans, Patriots fans, Golden State fans, Yankee fans, Villanova fans, etc.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: April 11, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »

Still better than Wojo with Markus Howard on his roster.  Doh.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: April 11, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »
Brian Snow
@BSnow247
·
5m
Interesting transfer related nugget from talking to college coaches. Guys NOT having to sit out, is actually making them less attractive to options to a large number of coaches. A lot like the notion of being able to balance their roster with a sit out year/year of development
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.