'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruits at Marquette Madness  (Read 8801 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Recruits at Marquette Madness
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 09:05:06 AM »
What we have to go on is what Buzz has said since the very beginning, that he wants to have one true point guard, one true big man and three interchangeable parts...meaning guys that can play the 2, 3, or 4.  Last year was not an example of what he wanted because the personnel on the team didn't allow him to do that.  Now he's got his chance.

Further, when I say it would be nearly impossible, I'm not talking about them playing on the court at the same time I'm talking about getting them to come.  Both players have made it very clear that they want to go to a school where they are starting PG essentially from day one.  Being an interchangeable part on the wing is not what they are looking for.  It's already going to be tough to get a top PG in the class to commit with Cadougan being on the same team for 4 years.  Getting a third PG when there would be two guys with him for all for years is near impossible.

Not all offers and not all "leaders" are created equal.  It's known that MU has been pushing Smith(and several of the other targets) to wait on their decision until spring, mostly because MU sees them as back up plans to other guys they are going after.  Just because multiple guys at the same position want to come doesn't mean you take all of them.

Well, he doesn't really have a chance this year since his only PG on the roster is nowhere near what Buzz expects. I think we'll see a hodge-podge like we did last year because of it. So it will still be a mystery in 2010-2011 when these kids begin play.

MU is thought to be in a great spot to land Blue. Seems strange that would be the case if he wants to start at PG from day one when he'll have to deal with Junior Cadougan -- who was considered to have better PG skills then Blue -- not to mention dealing with returning experience at the 1 in Buycks and Odom (who will have to play because of the Cadougan loss). Could be a tough slog. I can't imagine Blue loving MU on all fronts and turning them down only because he's not the starting PG from day one which is more then plausible.

I understand offers and leaders not being equal. The point of bringing Reggie Smith up was that it's clear Buzz Williams is going to bring in two guards in this class and considering the cognoscenti feel Bowen left because Jones took his place it would seem to make sense that those two guards will have PG skills and duties expected of them so as not to overload the wing. This if further evidenced by the visit of Howard this weekend. Blue, Smith, Ross-Miller, Howard are all 1/2s, 2/1s. I think it's semantics but my outlook is different then that of an 18 year-old.

We'll just have to see what happens in a month. Until then, I'll just be the naive little boy in the corner smoking his pipe dream.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
At this point I do not thank Cadougan should scare any recruit away.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 10:01:23 AM »
I don't think Blue has ever said he wants or expects to start at point guard from day 1.

He understands that it will benefit him to learn how to play point at the college level which he will have an opportunity to do at Marquette (as well as other schools).

I am pretty sure that Blue knows he will get the majority oif his time at shooting guard early on since that is his natural position.

Wade played backup point guard to Diener only during his 2nd season at MU.

feedback