[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Two UL players locked up  (Read 10636 times)

nyg

• All American
Two UL players locked up
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4551567

Smith and Jennings arrested.  Issues abound at UL lately.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Two UL players locked up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
Keepin it real at The 'Ville
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »
Hey, a fish stinks from the head down.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

texaswarrior74

• All American

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
The Ville lost its moral compass when Derrick Caracter bid them adieu. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
probably ultimately a non story.  will not miss a practice and will pobably miss 1-2 non con games.  is that the appropriate punishment?  who knows but nothing more will happen and it will have no bearing on their season

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
Stupid mistake and not the behavior you want out of two starters / leaders but really this doesn't sound like a big deal right now.  Sounds like they tied one on at an alumni function, made a scene somewhere, then mouthed off to the cops when they showed up.  Similar to my days at MU :D

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »

:D
SS Marquette

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:08:17 PM »

I predict he wins Conference USA Newcomer of the Year.  That or he completely flops and averages 4 points per game. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »
probably ultimately a non story.  will not miss a practice and will pobably miss 1-2 non con games.  is that the appropriate punishment?  who knows but nothing more will happen and it will have no bearing on their season

Don't be so sure... depending on the details of the situation coupled with the recent queries about the program's integrity in general (brought on mostly by Mr. Pitino), I wouldn't be surprised if at least one, if not both, of these players is suspended from the team for the fall semester - simply as a way for the school to take a stand and send a message (maybe I'm giving the Ville too much credit here).

Not that I have any experience with the matter, but it seems to me that for a simple resisting arrest charge, you are arrested, booked and released.  Maybe the rules are different in Southern Indiana, but the fact they spent the night in jail makes me believe something else was going on.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:21:40 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
Don't be so sure... depending on the details of the situation coupled with the recent queries about the program's integrity in general (brought on mostly by Mr. Pitino), I wouldn't be surprised if at least one, if not both, of these players is suspended from the team for the fall semester - simply as a way for the school to take a stand and send a message (maybe I'm giving the Ville too much credit here).

Not that I have any experience with the matter, but it seems to me that for a simple resisting arrest charge, you are arrested, booked and released.  Maybe the rules are different in Southern Indiana, but the fact they spent the night in jail makes me believe something else was going on.

I will eat my shoe if Jerry Smith is suspended for the Fall semester.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »
Michigan State has a starting RB (Winston) who went to friggin' jail for knocking a player on the hockey team out and sending him to the hospital. MSU took him back on the team the morning he got released from a 90-day sentence.

So no. I don't see these guys getting punished by the hoops team other than missing a few days of practice.

Such is life in big business college sports.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:13 AM »
I will eat my shoe if Jerry Smith is suspended for the Fall semester.

+1000

He just stepped in to help out a teammate (from what it says in the articles).  They may have been intoxicated which would prompt the cops to keep them over night.  Who knows. 

This is darn near a non-event when it comes to playing ball, IMO.  A little bar room scuffle, who hasn't been in one before? (Be honest with yourselves, I don't see this as being anything different than that in the two articles. Don't let the hatred for a program skew the facts).   
Marquette University, Spring '08

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
No way pitino actually seriosuly punishes these guys. They're too important to the team. Besides look how many chances caracter got at the 'ville. Just like his dealings with caracter they'll be suspended indefinitely and by indefinitely they mean until the first day of practice.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »
Jerry smith, Tosa East's finest. What else would you expect?
Tradition Never Graduates..

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
For those who know Jerry and his family, this would be abnormal conduct.  From the looks of it, this has the makings of your typical bar-room disagreement.  Maybe miss a start, but that's it.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
I would have *loved* to have Jerry Smith on Marquette for the past three years.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
I would have *loved* to have Jerry Smith on Marquette for the past three years.

Over Who?

I'm sorry but I agree with Hoop Dreams.....Just another example of Tosa East's garbage.  Did you people know their basketball team this year had 2 players kicked off for attempting to make a lady withdraw money from the ATM while holding her daughter captive?  I can post the link if people do not believe me.  The best part is that they left her alone to call the cops....Tosa education.

I'm off topic.......excuse me.....back to the argument

Jerry Smith is a punk and I was so glad  he did not come to MU.  It would have been another recruiting mistake by the former coach.  Personally I watched him play high school basketball and was convinced he was a ball hog and very overated.  He has proven this with his time at Lousiville and like Hoop Dreams said, what else would you expect?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:10 PM »
Over Who?

I'm sorry but I agree with Hoop Dreams.....Just another example of Tosa East's garbage.  Did you people know their basketball team this year had 2 players kicked off for attempting to make a lady withdraw money from the ATM while holding her daughter captive?  I can post the link if people do not believe me.  The best part is that they left her alone to call the cops....Tosa education.

You were off topic, and making crap assumptions while falling off topic.  I worked with a number of Tosa East/West students who all were in school at the time, and I found their programs to be progressive and their students to be extremely well educated.  To base your assumption of a Tosa education on a couple of basketball players is ridiculous.  I know I'd hate to have my college education based on more than a few of past MU players.  I also have more than a few people in my office that went to high school at Tosa and they're doing just fine for themselves. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
You were off topic, and making crap assumptions while falling off topic.  I worked with a number of Tosa East/West students who all were in school at the time, and I found their programs to be progressive and their students to be extremely well educated.  To base your assumption of a Tosa education on a couple of basketball players is ridiculous.  I know I'd hate to have my college education based on more than a few of past MU players.  I also have more than a few people in my office that went to high school at Tosa and they're doing just fine for themselves. 

+1

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
Over Who?

Jerry Smith is a punk and I was so glad  he did not come to MU.  It would have been another recruiting mistake by the former coach.  Personally I watched him play high school basketball and was convinced he was a ball hog and very overated.  He has proven this with his time at Lousiville and like Hoop Dreams said, what else would you expect?

I'd bet I wouldn't be far off if I said you went to MUHS? That or some other Metro conference school. You sound bitter. I also saw Jerry play in high school and was extremely impressed. Tied with Novak as far as most impressive HS players I've seen in person. Strictly from a fan perspective.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
Jerry was very good in HS.

I would have loved to have him stay home and go to MU.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »
I guess my main response is what has he done at the ville to make you people want him so bad?  He has not impressed me in the Big East at all.....he could tear up the Bad Ten tho.......And Novak was way better in High School....saw them both

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
I guess my main response is what has he done at the ville to make you people want him so bad?  He has not impressed me in the Big East at all.....he could tear up the Bad Ten tho.......And Novak was way better in High School....saw them both

He has done more than Cubillian. I would take Jerry over DC, hands down.

While they weren't in the same class, Jerry would have contributed more to MU than Christopherson did.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
This doesn't sound like a big deal to me. 

Sorry.  I can't get worked up about it.

Sounds like Smith-- at worst-- intervened and tried to stop the cops from arresting his teammate. 

Gosh, he's evil. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
+1000

He just stepped in to help out a teammate (from what it says in the articles).  They may have been intoxicated which would prompt the cops to keep them over night.  Who knows. 

This is darn near a non-event when it comes to playing ball, IMO.  A little bar room scuffle, who hasn't been in one before? (Be honest with yourselves, I don't see this as being anything different than that in the two articles. Don't let the hatred for a program skew the facts).   

If Smith is suspended for a season can we get video of you eating 1000 shoes?

LON

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »
This doesn't sound like a big deal to me.  

Sorry.  I can't get worked up about it.

Sounds like Smith-- at worst-- intervened and tried to stop the cops from arresting his teammate.  

Gosh, he's evil.  

and must be destroyed?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
Over Who?

This has got to be some of the dumbest logic I have ever seen.  Tony Smith played basketball at Tosa East - was he a punk to?  My dad went to Tosa East - good thing he was able to overcome his "Tosa education" enough to be admitted into Marquette's PhD program.

Smith's shooting ability would have served us very well the past few years.  He's a better outside shooter than any of the big 3, and how many times were people on this board lamenting our lack of an outside shooter over the past couple of years?  He certainly would have been able to eat up more minutes than any of our other back-up guards last year.

Paco Jimenez

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »
More charges for Smith and Jennings.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-louisville-playersarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

This was more than your simple bar fight.  You don't get a triple bill for getting into a scuffle after a few beers.

Maybe the Ville doesn't suspend them.  Maybe they just go and sit in the pokey for a few months.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
More charges for Smith and Jennings.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-louisville-playersarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

This was more than your simple bar fight.  You don't get a triple bill for getting into a scuffle after a few beers.

Maybe the Ville doesn't suspend them.  Maybe they just go and sit in the pokey for a few months.

This looks exactly like a bar scuffle in which some off-duty officers stepped in. 
Cops will want to throw the books.
D.A. won't let that happen. 
Defense attorney easily claim that Jennings did not know they were police and wearing shirts doesn't make someone a cop, therefore could be seen as self defense.
"internally" won't be that much.
Marquette University, Spring '08

feedback