'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 09:11:02 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:05:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 07:24:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Comment Regarding Buzz's Recruiting  (Read 6667 times)

GGGG

• All American
Comment Regarding Buzz's Recruiting
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:02:02 AM »
I almost hesitate to post this, but I met someone this weekend who's brother is a national college basketball writer for a major publication.  I asked him what his brother thought of Buzz, and this is what he told me.

Likes him a lot.  Has had to build his recruiting network almost from scratch in the areas Marquette traditionally recruits.  However, he is gaining credibility quickly, which is why MU has been on the short list on a lot of good recruits.  Look for those deals to close more often in the next few years.  Organized "to a fault."  Learning on the job - will be a success with some patience.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Comment Regarding Buzz's Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
I almost hesitate to post this, but I met someone this weekend who's brother is a national college basketball writer for a major publication.  I asked him what his brother thought of Buzz, and this is what he told me.

Likes him a lot.  Has had to build his recruiting network almost from scratch in the areas Marquette traditionally recruits.  However, he is gaining credibility quickly, which is why MU has been on the short list on a lot of good recruits.  Look for those deals to close more often in the next few years.  Organized "to a fault."  Learning on the job - will be a success with some patience.

A lot of the same things were said about the last guy. He re-worked some fertile areas after Deane. People really liked him early on. He hit the jackpot quick and that changed everything. Lost sight of every detail. Lazed out a bit. Reaches became expected. Still, he was able to cobble together enough talent to make us one of the more successful Big East teams since integration.

Let's hope Buzz elevates that into a standard and brings a couple banners.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
I hope his enthusiasm as well as the team's successes help to keep fuel in his tank because I fear a burnout at some point! I guess that's why you have assistants... :)

Good to hear. Thanks for sharing!
SS Marquette

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
Let's hope Buzz elevates that into a standard and brings a couple banners.

Yeah, I'd really like to see us put another CBE banner up, or maybe a banner next time we beat a top 10 teams.  ;)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:23:35 PM »
Yeah, I'd really like to see us put another CBE banner up, or maybe a banner next time we beat a top 10 teams.  ;)
Please God, someone tell me that the program hasn't sunk to the point where beating a top 10 team merits a banner!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:36 PM »
From a recruiting standpoint, one difference is that Buzz will hopefully keep his assistants longer (insert Hayward and 4ever comment here).  I appreciate Crean bringing us back to a high major program again, but personally I was always frustrated by the turnover among assistants.  As we learned when Bowen decommited, if an assistant is the chief recruiter, it can affect continuity among the roster.  I see Benford, Monarch and Aki sticking around longer and this helps prevent roster turnover.  I think not only will we close eventually on some of these elite recruits, but the revolving door for our roster and staff will hopefully be less active. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
I think Buzz targets too many different kids-----can't possibly followup on all that burnout or no burnout. Rather see him cut back to a fraction of those initial contacts and really work a smaller list------the Al McGuire approach.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
I think Buzz targets too many different kids-----can't possibly followup on all that burnout or no burnout. Rather see him cut back to a fraction of those initial contacts and really work a smaller list------the Al McGuire approach.

Al would be the first guy to tell you his style would not work today. you should take a cue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »

I prefer not to model our recruiting after a guy who retired 32+ years ago...pre-internet....pre AAU coaches and handlers...pre emails and text messaging.  That's simply not how the game is played now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 05:51:12 AM »
I notice that the Kentucky fans don't cry out for Calipari to us the Adolph Rupp model often.    I don't hear DePaul fans hoping for the next Mikan.   UCLA fans aren't clamoring for Howland to recruit short guys so they can have the same template as Wooden's first championship team.  (that would be Crean's recruiting style  ;D)  UNLV isn't hoping to copy Tarkanian's recruiting style.    One of the reason's Al left is he could see the writing on the wall and new it was going to become exceedingly difficult to recruit "his style."   Times change.   Style of play changes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
Al would be the first guy to tell you his style would not work today. you should take a cue.

It could work if you have the recognition Al m\McGuire had. An unknown like Buzz cannot selectively recruit. Coaches at North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky can.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:44:49 AM by bilsu »

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
I don't hear DePaul fans hoping for the next Mikan.
Think I've actually heard DePaul fans clamoring for just about anything at this point.  Mostly for the school to care about basketball.

It could work if you have the recognition Al mcGuire had. An unknown like Buzz cannot selectively recruit. Coaches at North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky can.
These guys still seem to miss out on recruits plenty - I think it's more that their targets are shifted upward, so the main recruits are 5 stars and the backup plans are 4 stars (or... however you feel like rating recruits).

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
Coaches at North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky can.

What these programs have in common is the ability to selectively recruit; how they do it is a whole other story.

Roy Williams recruits very differently than Self, Calipari or even K.

He won't offer until June 15th after they complete their sophomore year. He won't offer scholarships he doesn't have (he has told three top recruits who WANT to attend UNC that he just doesn't know when or of he will have spots available since a lot depends on whether Ed Davis or others leave for the pros) but has been upfront enough to tell them that IF he has a spot this is where they are ranked in his opinion for the potential spots. Some choose to wait, others don't. More importantly he won't over offer at a position i.e. if he already has his quota of point guards committed he won't actively recruit another.

Right now Duke is recruiting Doc Rivers' kid even though he has been committed to Florida (breaking the unwritten rule among BB coaches to not recruit committed kids) and is pursuing Kyrie Irving even though they have a point guard coming in to this year's class. K is famous for only playing 7-8 guys so he has seen an inordinate amount of transfers in the last few years as well as many top rated guys spending most of their time on the bench.

I don't think I even need to start a discussion about Cal's recruiting .....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
So what your saying is that Coach K is playing a 7-8 man rotation, keeping a bunch of people on the bench basically for practices and the occasional mop-up minutes, historically doesn't recruit over a starter.   (though he now seems to be)   Hmmmmmm.    Isn't that Al's model?    And players are transferring out?    And K keeps getting caught with a thin bench?    How can that be?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »
I was at MU from 70-74; Al never had the depth and breadth of talent that K has had which is why Duke has seen so many leave early or transfer.

On the other hand, Roy's uptempo style allows for lots of PT for more players and gives him the luxury of playing that depth and keeping people happy with less PT. His whole message is that Team comes before individuals and if they don't like that then they aren't ready to be part of the UNC family.

K has definitely changed his recruting methods and tactics in the last year or so.

The consensus of opinion is that K is getting desperate. Since Roy arrived in Chapel Hill he has owned Duke and K. The recently departed seniors were 4-0 in Cameron Indoor prompting many UNC loyalists to rename it Hansborough Indoor.  Duke boasts of their ACC tournament championships despite the fact that UNC held key players like Hansborrogh and Lawson out of the games to prepare for the NCAA's.

If anyone is interested in following a REALLY crazed head-to-head recruiting battle check out the one going on between Duke and UNC for Harrison Barnes. Once thought to be a Duke lock, the tide seems to have turned and many think he may now be headed to UNC. On both the Duke and UNC boards there are numerous 50 page long threads that follow every twist and turn in this recruitment. It's insanity....
"
UNC's boards are at insidecarolina and if you Google "TDD Duke you'll find the Duke site.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »
Yeah, Duke has really been a downer of late.  Since 2004 when they last made it to the Final Four, they have lost to a lower seeded team in each of the last five tournaments.  In almost every case, it was to teams that seemed more athletic than they are.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
In almost every case, it was to teams that seemed more athletic than they are.

Here is their official 2009-2010 team pic; is there any wonder they look less athletic than most others?

http://i33.tinypic.com/xf1e6b.jpg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:44:04 PM by texaswarrior74 »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 06:13:59 PM »
Unathletic, looses to lower seeds in the tourney, wins their conference?  Sounds like another team I'm familiar with.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:04 PM »
Here is their official 2009-2010 team pic; is there any wonder they look less athletic than most others?

http://i33.tinypic.com/xf1e6b.jpg

I see the token players (kept on the roster to keep the McD AA's happy with their PT)!

Now that Dawkins is gone and floundering a bit @ Stanford - a few more years and he may be on his way out due to the Montgomery-Cal revival - I really wonder how effective his assistants are at spinning the "Coach K" aura.

I've been a fan of Coach K, but never the Dookies.
SS Marquette

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »
I see the token players (kept on the roster to keep the McD AA's happy with their PT)!

Now that Dawkins is gone and floundering a bit @ Stanford - a few more years and he may be on his way out due to the Montgomery-Cal revival - I really wonder how effective his assistants are at spinning the "Coach K" aura.

I've been a fan of Coach K, but never the Dookies.

Really??? That comment after one season? Holy crap. If winning 20 games in his first year having not inherited the ridiculous talent (Lopez squared) from the previous guy is floundering we are in deep crap (remember our guy only won 25 inheriting ALL of the proven talent from the previous guy).

Should also mention that Dawkins has landed a prospect rated higher then any of our 2010 commits (current or previous) and is the leader to land another top 50-type talent in Dwight Powell (according to Scout.com).

If all that adds up to calling out Dawkins as floundering, what adjective would you use for Buzz?

feedback