'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic to Europe  (Read 6961 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Dominic to Europe
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:11:42 PM »
Was waived by the Bucks today, but apparently has signed a deal overseas.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
Re: Dominic to Europe
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
So I guess thats the last of DJ in America. Good Luck over there DJ.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »
I thought Skiles loved him?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
That was the word on the street.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUCrew

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »

I wouldn't doubt that DJ got the offer and was basically waived so he could go to Europe.  No reason to hang on through training camp when a roster spot is unlikely when you have something in hand over there.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »

A coach can love a player to the depths of roses and chocolates but not at the expense of a guaranteed contract and certainly not when gator arms Kohl has the wallet on lock down.

It was always a try-out for Europe. Who knew it'd be successful in only three days.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
Gator arm?

Ken Norman, Mike Dunleavy, George Karl, Anthony Mason, Tim Thomas and Michael Redd would beg to differ.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
Gator arm?

Short little semi-useless things.

I've heard the term with regards to football.  A receiver will "gator-arm" a ball when he's crossing the middle.  He doesn't want to extend for fear of being leveled.

I suppose it's a 'round-about way of calling someone a kitten.

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
Where in Europe?  I smell a road trip!!  Best wishes DJ  ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »

I wouldn't doubt that DJ got the offer and was basically waived so he could go to Europe.  No reason to hang on through training camp when a roster spot is unlikely when you have something in hand over there.

No reason to hang on through training camp? I wonder why Matthews and McNeal are even bothering. I suppose the possibility of impressing other teams was out of the question.

He's been told that he's not NBA material and was advised that his best shot at making any money was Europe. He's not an NBA player and never was one. He's too small, is a horrible shooter (from the field and the FT line) and is injury prone.

Other than that, I'm sure NBA people were foaming at the mouth.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »
No reason to hang on through training camp? I wonder why Matthews and McNeal are even bothering. I suppose the possibility of impressing other teams was out of the question.

He's been told that he's not NBA material and was advised that his best shot at making any money was Europe. He's not an NBA player and never was one. He's too small, is a horrible shooter (from the field and the FT line) and is injury prone.

Other than that, I'm sure NBA people were foaming at the mouth.

I'd like to pit your hubris against this quote from Scott Skiles, the Bucks coach:

"He's got good quickness," Skiles said. "Obviously, size is an issue but he's a very powerful athlete, along the lines of a Nate Robinson-type athlete, even.

"A lot of times with a guy like that, it's right place, right time. You happen to be somewhere where they have a need, so you latch on, and all of a sudden you hang and get a chance. It just sort of happens."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/63099137.html

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 01:09:22 PM »
I'd like to pit your hubris against this quote from Scott Skiles, the Bucks coach:

"He's got good quickness," Skiles said. "Obviously, size is an issue but he's a very powerful athlete, along the lines of a Nate Robinson-type athlete, even.

"A lot of times with a guy like that, it's right place, right time. You happen to be somewhere where they have a need, so you latch on, and all of a sudden you hang and get a chance. It just sort of happens."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/63099137.html

Two days after saying this to the Milwaukee media, James was released.

I don't know why there are so many people still beating the drum for James. He was no more than a decent player for MU. At times, he was even less than that. Judging by the reaction of a huge number of fans at home games, he was extremely frustrating to watch. If memory serves, he was never even a first team all Big East selection. Why pretend he has a chance in the NBA?

I think the same thing about McNeal, by the way. The only guy with any is Matthews and that's because of his somewhat decent size and the fact that he seems to be a guy who understands the need to play a role.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »
Two days after saying this to the Milwaukee media, James was released.

Leaving an internship for a job isn't a surprising move in my mind.  James has some work to do on his game, and Europe is the place for him to do that work.  It's not like the NBA scouts ignore Europe.  I'm not sure that sticking with the Bucks would have been terribly beneficial for James coming off of such a poor shooting season.  Like I said, he has some work to do.

I don't know why there are so many people still beating the drum for James. He was no more than a decent player for MU. At times, he was even less than that. Judging by the reaction of a huge number of fans at home games, he was extremely frustrating to watch. If memory serves, he was never even a first team all Big East selection. Why pretend he has a chance in the NBA?

I think the same thing about McNeal, by the way. The only guy with any is Matthews and that's because of his somewhat decent size and the fact that he seems to be a guy who understands the need to play a role.   

I agree with you about McNeal.

Regarding beating the drum for James:  I don't, personally, know anything about the NBA.  I'd have to go on what Skiles is saying about James.  I suppose he may have sweetened his talk a little bit because it was Milwaukee media... but he could have picked up any guard he wanted for the pre-season team.  I just don't see much benefit to Skiles or the Bucks for spending time/money/effort on James if he never has a chance of playing in the league.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
The Bucks gave the local kid a 3 day public relations spot. No more, no less than that.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
I don't know why there are so many people still beating the drum for James. He was no more than a decent player for MU.    

DJ was frustrating at times, but he did a lot of things at MU that very few other guys have ever done.  To say he was only a decent player for MU is a joke.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
He was first team all Big East in 2006/2007 and 2nd team in 2007/2008.

Also was named Big East rookie of the year in 2005.

Just your typical average player............. ::)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »
DJ was frustrating at times, but he did a lot of things at MU that very few other guys have ever done.  To say he was only a decent player for MU is a joke.
Consider the source.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »
Hopefully he will run into someone who can teach him how to rebuild his shooting delivery-----has everything else going for him-----athleticism, quickness, smarts, and attitude..

After his soph year in the NBA draft camp he ranked #3 in the physical/athletic skill contests out of 63 players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
I think the frustration with DJ is that he didn't really seem to improve after his sophomore year.  He basically was the same player his last two years - never really improved his outside shot.  Our expectations were that he would develop into a more well-rounded player.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 09:03:20 PM »
I think the frustration with DJ is that he didn't really seem to improve after his sophomore year.  He basically was the same player his last two years - never really improved his outside shot.  Our expectations were that he would develop into a more well-rounded player.

I thought DJ was outstanding in running the team as a Senior. He was as much a Point Guard as the definition allows his last season. His play allowed for a guy like Matthews to step up as a Senior and a guy like McNeal continue his evolution as one of the best players in the Big East.

I also think the average fan fails to see 50% of the game and perhaps could not appreciate the importance of DJ (they saw it when he went down and Mo Acker stepped in). All they want is the jump shot to fall and every free throw to be made. They may not see the use of a double down or a ball pressure situation or the intrinsic ability to lead.

My greatest memory of DJ was him holding 15 PPG Deonta Vaughan of Cincinnati scoreless in the Bradley Center. But, really, how many fans will think of that when they recall DJ's playing days?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 10:45:09 PM »
From GeryWoelfel's Twitter:

"Good luck to Dominic James. He signs 1 year deal with Mercin in TUrkey."

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=TUR&Team=6766

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersin_BB

Ersin's a middle of the pack team: bowed out of the first round of the Turkish BK Playoffs.
SS Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
Interesting.  Hopefully DJ knows Marcus Cousin from his time at Seton Hall.  It would be nice if he found a familiar face over there right away.

feedback