'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Whoa Bruce...  (Read 29248 times)

PJDunn

• All American
Re: Whoa Bruce...
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
If I remember my Indiana history right...the KKK started there or was one of the birthplaces.  I'll bet Plymouth, IN was close to the epicenter.

The hood comment must strike homen eh Hayward?

See how those broad brushed comments about race are off base?  Jokes are great, but racial ones like Bruce's are stupid. 

Maybe he can take a limo to a funeral to make amends.

Chicos...the KKK was started by an ex-confederate general named Nathan Bedford Forrest in Tennessee.  Kind of a useless piece of information and I am not quite sure why I remember it. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »
Indiana was the hotbed of the KKK in the early 20th century.  Rumor was they tried to buy Valparaiso University for a Klan college.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »
Indiana was the hotbed of the KKK in the early 20th century.  Rumor was they tried to buy Valparaiso University for a Klan college.

That isn't rumor...that is 100% fact.  It was sold to the Lutherans instead.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »

That isn't rumor...that is 100% fact.  It was sold to the Lutherans instead.

Correct. The Lutherans outbid the KKK for the university, but the KKK spread the rumor on the East Coast that they had bought it to give more hype to their actual acquisition of Alma College, which was very close to Princeton.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »
Correct. The Lutherans outbid the KKK for the university, but the KKK spread the rumor on the East Coast that they had bought it to give more hype to their actual acquisition of Alma College, which was very close to Princeton.

Slight correction...Alma White College.  Not to be confused with Alma College in Michigan.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »
I confess ... I chuckled. Nearly even guffawed.
If the fine people of Grainger County can't take a joke, f--- 'em.

I'll have to remember that.   Nothing like calling people bigots, racists or KKK members when the vast majority aren't.  Damn, what a riot...knee slappers.

Sorry, I don't play into the white guilt cottage industry that exists out there.  It was a dumb thing to say and I'm glad he apologized.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
+1000. There is far too much feigned outrage today. Those with a sense of humor understand that someone or some group is the butt of every joke and we all take turns. Unfortunately people looking to be offended or angry will usually find an excuse.

LOL

I'm one of the most un-PC guys out there.  I don't believe in any of that crap.  As for outraged, I'm not outraged at all, just think it's a stupid statement on his part.....especially with his position.  But having said that, if I was a citizen of Grainger County I would not be too pleased that the 2nd highest paid employee in the state of Tennessee just implied that members of the county were KKK, whether it was a joke or not.

Maybe he should complain more publicly about kids breaking their verbal commitments and not keeping their word (all the while he can explain how great he was at keeping his commitment to his wife and kids)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »

I just recall Indiana being one of the birthplaces of the movement based on what I heard when I was in grad school.  Indiana was apparently a home for many KKK enclaves and if you look at the names of some of the towns it plays into that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »
I don't remember, did Pitino, Eustacy, or Sutton apologize? Now they acted stupidly. Bruce, joking at a fundraiser, was nothing compared to those guys. In retrospect, his choice of humor could have been better. Per usual with these types of things, the battle lines are drawn along the sides of whether or not you like Bruce to begin with.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
I don't remember, did Pitino, Eustacy, or Sutton apologize? Now they acted stupidly. Bruce, joking at a fundraiser, was nothing compared to those guys. In retrospect, his choice of humor could have been better. Per usual with these types of things, the battle lines are drawn along the sides of whether or not you like Bruce to begin with.

I think Bruce is a very funny guy...funny enough that he didn't need to make that comment.  He's also an excellent coach.  He's also a hypocrite when it comes to NCAA rules, commitments, etc.  He's lauded for what he did at Iowa turning in Illinois and yet only a few years later the rules are somehow not as sacred when he's at UWM. 

I'm not sure comparing Bruce to those pricks above does him any service.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
Here's a hypothetical, with no inside info at all:

If Pearl were named MU's coach tomorrow, how would posters react?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
Have we heard from the fine folks of Grainger?

Their ONLINE paper only comes out weekly so I wait with bated breath for next week's ONLINE paper.

Until this week, I'll just imagine the exhuberance that the fine folks of Grainger Co take in the now legal sale of beer in Blaine, TN.

http://www.graingertoday.com/

Beer just got allowed...sure does seem REAL forward thinking!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »

Their ONLINE paper only comes out weekly so I wait with bated breath for next week's ONLINE paper.

Until this week, I'll just imagine the exhuberance that the fine folks of Grainger Co take in the now legal sale of beer in Blaine, TN.

I hear the people of Grainger County were so upset they lynched Bruce Pearl in effigy.
That'll learn him.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »

But Doug McBee, a Grainger County resident and the father of Tennessee freshman guard Skylar McBee, said Pearl should not be misunderstood, according to The Tennessean of Nashville.

"There's no hard feelings at all,'' Doug McBee said, according to The Tennessean. "We are country up here, but we're not prejudice. It was a joke, and that's how I took it.''

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »
Here's a hypothetical, with no inside info at all:

If Pearl were named MU's coach tomorrow, how would posters react?

Definitely a hypothetical so I'm not going to waste much energy thinking about it.  There's a distinct reason (actually many) that we didn't play UWM when he was there.  Those reasons would lead to MU never hiring him so no need to waste many more brain cells contemplating it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »
I hear the people of Grainger County were so upset they lynched Bruce Pearl in effigy.
That'll learn him.

LOL

Yes, let's make sure that's the standard moving forward.  I love it.  Unless everyone is upset, it's ok to say whatever  you want.  Again, I'll remember this....I like how you think Pakuni, that is of course until you pull 180 and apply a totally different standard toward someone else in the public spotlight.   ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »

LOL

Yes, let's make sure that's the standard moving forward.  I love it.  Unless everyone is upset, it's ok to say whatever  you want.  Again, I'll remember this....I like how you think Pakuni, that is of course until you pull 180 and apply a totally different standard toward someone else in the public spotlight.   ;D

?????

So let's see here ... When (some) Native Americans complain of the warrior nickname and it's less than flattering history, you proclaim them overly sensitive. When Bruce Pearl makes a joke you proclaim the people of Grainger County, and others, not sensitive enough.
Hmmmm.

Tell me, since you're the expert on all things offensive, as a person of Irish heritage should I or should I not be offended by the Notre Dame leprechaun?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »
LOL

I'm one of the most un-PC guys out there.  I don't believe in any of that crap.  As for outraged, I'm not outraged at all, just think it's a stupid statement on his part.....especially with his position.  But having said that, if I was a citizen of Grainger County I would not be too pleased that the 2nd highest paid employee in the state of Tennessee just implied that members of the county were KKK, whether it was a joke or not.

Maybe he should complain more publicly about kids breaking their verbal commitments and not keeping their word (all the while he can explain how great he was at keeping his commitment to his wife and kids)

People who are truly "un-PC" are comfortable with the fact that their jokes, opinions, etc are neither mean spirited nor bigoted. They understand that those (professional victims, race hustlers, the profoundly and excessively "guilty", etc) who point fingers at them are, in fact, trivializing true racism, bigotry, and cruelty. Thus the true "un-PC" cares not at all about these perceptions (misperceptions).

You, on the other hand, are VERY concerned with perceptions and are usually the first to point out how things might "look". Not the modus operandi of a true "non- PCer".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
Lenny you are so right.  Forgive me....you and Hayward are like Captain and Tennile on this one and really, I don't want to divide that duo.

Now I understand why so many people didn't want Joe Wilson to apologize....he was only joking.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:39:54 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
Lenny you are so right.  Forgive me....you and Hayward are like Captain and Tennile on this one and really, I don't want to divide that duo.

Now I understand why so many people didn't want Joe Wilson to apologize....he was only joking.   ;D

Sorry that I don't "get" your joke(s). But thanks for making me the Captain. I'm sure Hayward is crushed.

LON

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
Sorry that I don't "get" your joke(s). But thanks for making me the Captain. I'm sure Hayward is crushed.

Nice.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 09:07:57 AM »
People who are truly "un-PC" are comfortable with the fact that their jokes, opinions, etc are neither mean spirited nor bigoted. They understand that those (professional victims, race hustlers, the profoundly and excessively "guilty", etc) who point fingers at them are, in fact, trivializing true racism, bigotry, and cruelty. Thus the true "un-PC" cares not at all about these perceptions (misperceptions).

You, on the other hand, are VERY concerned with perceptions and are usually the first to point out how things might "look". Not the modus operandi of a true "non- PCer".

well said lenny way to point out the hypocrites hypocrisy

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

PJ
You probably remember it because of Forrest Gump.  That's who he states he was named after.   ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »
I agree that people are too PC in a lot of cases (this one included).

This was just a joke.

However, Bruce is not a stand up comedian, so he doesn't have the same license that they get.

The head basketball coach at a major university needs to watch how he speaks in public. Simple as that.

What is funny with your buddy at a local bar, might not be funny printed in a newspaper.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
I agree that people are too PC in a lot of cases (this one included).

This was just a joke.

However, Bruce is not a stand up comedian, so he doesn't have the same license that they get.

The head basketball coach at a major university needs to watch how he speaks in public. Simple as that.

What is funny with your buddy at a local bar, might not be funny printed in a newspaper.

+1  That's all this is about....as we know, certain people are allowed to say certain things and others are not.  It's B.S., but that's the world we live in. 

feedback