Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA tourney question  (Read 11384 times)

JD

• All American
NCAA tourney question
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Recently I was wearing an MU shirt at the local gas station, and this 30 something year old guy proceeds to say "Marquette isn't bad, but the badgers are better". Pretty bland statement. Better at hockey, yeah. basketball, negative. 

My question is this.  Would you give up two sweet 16s and an elite 8 for a final 4 run like the badgers had?

My answer, no.

(By the way, I chuckled and said "if you're referring to basketball, talk to me when you win a championship post world war 2 era")

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

w0bbie

• Starter
Re: NCAA tourney question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
Recently I was wearing an MU shirt at the local gas station, and this 30 something year old guy proceeds to say "Marquette isn't bad, but the badgers are better". Pretty bland statement. Better at hockey, yeah. basketball, negative. 

My question is this.  Would you give up two sweet 16s and an elite 8 for a final 4 run like the badgers had?

My answer, no.

(By the way, I chuckled and said "if you're referring to basketball, talk to me when you win a championship post world war 2 era")

Yes, I would make that trade.

But UW fans didn't have to choose:

Year     MU      UW
2011    S16     S16
2012    S16     S16
2013    E8       Round of 64
2014    -          F4

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
I forgot they made 2 sweet 16's as well.  Good call.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
Honestly at this juncture UW BBall is better.  In this century they've been to every NCAA tournament 4 sweet 16s, an elite 8, and a couple final fours. 

Meanwhile we've got 10, 2 sweet 16s, an elite 8 and a final four, plus a couple NIT appearances. 

We've certainly earned better than "not bad" but it'd be hard to debate UW is less than us at this moment unless you want to talk about nba players. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
"Marquette isn't bad, but the badgers are better"

Wasn't he correct?  Hell, I think it's nice that (after last year), he didn't call us "bad."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
Wasn't he correct?  Hell, I think it's nice that (after last year), he didn't call us "bad."

Give it two seasons. The world will be righted again
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
F4>>>>>>>>>E8.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Hypothetically, let's talk as though both schools didn't both go the sweet 16 two years in a row. I would still take a final four, the other two years could be no post season and I think I would still be happy, at least long term. I realize the UW fan was probably pumping your gas, but you should avoid getting into confrontations at the gas station...nah what am I saying, next time wash his mouth out with diesel.

JD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
Good call hoss.

AL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »

My answer, no.

Since 2000, they have been the better program.  We're close, but they have been better.  More conference titles, more NCAA appearances, more conference tournament appearances, more wins, more head to head wins, more NCAA tournament wins, etc, etc, etc

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
As any Badger fan can tell you, college athletics began in 1991.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 08:13:32 AM »
Since 2000, they have been the better program.  We're close, but they have been better.  More conference titles, more NCAA appearances, more conference tournament appearances, more wins, more head to head wins, more NCAA tournament wins, etc, etc, etc

Agreed.  As tough as it is to admit.  There was a brief period where we could claim we were better in a much more recent timeframe (2010-2013) but that has obviously been out-done by this past year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
The Badgers didn't chit the bed or pee down their collective legs when reachin' the Final Four, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
The Badgers didn't chit the bed or pee down their collective legs when reachin' the Final Four, hey?

Gasser is still closing out the shooter.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:34 AM »
I would certainly trade the runs we made for one Final Four.  

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
You know whats upsetting about this whole situation is that almost every other schools in the country would take our run of success since 2000 and unfortunately one of the only schools we hate has done better. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
Agreed.  As tough as it is to admit.  There was a brief period where we could claim we were better in a much more recent timeframe (2010-2013) but that has obviously been out-done by this past year.

The irony is that whenever I stated this the last few years, there were about the same 9 clowns here that got so bent a$$ backwards they were frothing at the mouth.....despite it being 100% accurate. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »

Everyone complains that Bo's style of basketball is boring. He brings in players, 4 stars or not that can play his system and they win. I hope Wojo can do the same. We will know what style of basketball he'll play in short order.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
The irony is that whenever I stated this the last few years, there were about the same 9 clowns here that got so bent a$$ backwards they were frothing at the mouth.....despite it being 100% accurate. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
Everyone complains that Bo's style of basketball is boring. He brings in players, 4 stars or not that can play his system and they win. I hope Wojo can do the same. We will know what style of basketball he'll play in short order.

I hope wojo does that but gets to the top a bit quicker than Bo...
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »

Someone tell Chicos he can't read.  Warrior in DC specifically said "out-done by this past year."

Chicos was saying that *before* this past year.  Big difference.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »

Someone tell Chicos he can't read.  Warrior in DC specifically said "out-done by this past year."

Chicos was saying that *before* this past year.  Big difference.

Yes, this is what I meant by it.  I was definitely in the crowd that we had better recent success than Bucky during the S16-S16-E8 runs.  But now that last year happened, can now longer say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »

If you're going to do it right, do it right

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »

I used to think his style was boring, but they were scoring at a pretty good clip last year.  Many ways to skin the cat in basketball.  My concern for a number of years, and that includes with Crean, is that we tried to often to "out athlete" people.  It can work to an extent, but I want solid fundamental basketball players as well.  Now, usually this leads to some goofball here saying I want only "traditional" players that can't run, jump, etc.  Not the case at all.  I want kids that basketball players with athleticism, not necessarily athletes that play basketball.  There is a difference.  In my view it is one of the reasons why in some years we have struggled to shoot the ball effectively, because some of these athletes got by for so long without learning the fundamentals of the game, like how to shoot the ball, set a screen, play position defense, etc.  They were able to out jump someone, be quicker, etc and not grounded.

It's not impossible or even unheard of to bring in kids that are both athletic and fundamentally sound.  I will take that on most occasions over the super freakish athlete that doesn't understand how to play.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »

So the real irony is that whenever you stated this in the last few years (prior to last year) the 9 clowns that got bent a$$ backwards and frothed at the mouth were right and you were 100% inaccurate. And that those 9 clowns wouldn't argue that last year changed the equation yet again. Got it.