[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Back from Valpo...  (Read 2488 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Back from Valpo...
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:22:25 AM »
-Good MU contingent there, Brewski's before the game was packed with MU fans, and a good crowd at the game.

-Officiating was terrible. Not unfair, just inconsistent, bordering on bizarre. Someone needs to take Jim Burr's whistle, he and Donato were just looking for something to call, especially in the first half.

-Outside of the end of the first half, MU played very solid perimiter defense... Valpo was just on fire, we're talking West Virginia on fire and then some. Unbelievable.

-Our guys did not know how to adjust to the whistles, and it showed. They lost aggressiveness on both ends; they quit penetrating on offense and didn't dare to go for a steal on defense. I said to my friends at halftime, if these clowns called a BE game, it would take 6 hours.

-Not sure what happened with Dominic, but after the buzzer he went over to Crean in tears and gave him a big hug. Special performance in the last 6 minutes, and especially with some adversity we don't know about.

-MU is fortunate to have a learning experience like this and come out with a win. This game will help them a lot.

tower912

• All American
Re: Back from Valpo...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:13:40 AM »
I waited to post until this morning because it was too damn late when I got home.
-Nice contingent at Brewski's.  Probably 25-30 people there with MU paraphernalia on.
-Valpo is tall, agile, and well-coached.   Their zone, with all of the big guys they were using, was particularly effective.   I was sitting 3 rows behind the Valpo bench and was carrying on very pleasant conversations with Valpo season ticket holders.  I told them that if their guards withstood the pressure, they would do well.   We could not turn their guards over at all.  Very frustrating.
-When Valpo started raining 3's, you could feel the momentum change and I kept waiting for us to start getting steals to stop it, but it never happened.
-Ridiculously inconsistent officiating.   The sheer volume of charging calls changed how MU attacked in the second half.   In the first half, every time we attacked the basket, CHARGE!   The one geriatric zebra yelled charge more than my wife at Christmas.   And then, down the stretch, every foul call went MU's way, thank goodness.  And DJ hit his free throws.
-Lazar and Ooze both showed decent low post moves.   Lazar was the only one not playing solid defense.
-MacNeal is out of MacControl.   Of course, the officiating took him off of his stride, also.
-Until we figure out how to attack a zone, we are going to see it every freakin game.  Fitz and Cubillan need to be willing to shoot more.  Also, the guards have to get the ball into the post more.  Ooze is coming along.   At least make the defense react.   The three man weave out top is getting old.   Fitz and Lazar kept cutting to the foul line, but never got the ball. 
-We won our trap game.   DJ was all world down the stretch, after playing poorly early.   His penetration and passing were good, but he couldn't put the ball into the lake.   Stars take over in crunch-time, and he did.    Wow.     
-Good time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 08:01:28 AM »
Fitz had two wide open looks for 3 once he drove and turned it over another time he passed it.  It's starting to bug me. 

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:12 AM »
It seems like Fitz is trying to prove he's more than a spot shooter, but if you're open and have a stroke like he does, let it fly.  Start making some shots, you'll be covered closer and then have the opportunity to show off the rest of your game, but for now...RAIN 3s.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »
Fitz had two wide open looks for 3 once he drove and turned it over another time he passed it.  It's starting to bug me. 

This is what Novak often did his Soph and Junior year.   He had his moments, but definitely underachieved.  Fitz won't be Novak, but he should be taking five or six a game. 

feedback