[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] MU Departs for Newark for the Sweet 16  (Read 2571 times)

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] MU Departs for Newark for the Sweet 16
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
MU Departs for Newark for the Sweet 16

The Marquette University men's basketball team was treated to a warm sendoff Tuesday evening as the team departed from the Al McGuire Center for its trip to Newark, N.J.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032211aab.html

79Warrior

• All American
Re: [GoMarquette.com] MU Departs for Newark for the Sweet 16
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

Only 50 people showed up to send the team off?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »

Yeah, that's not exactly overwhelming.  If I were the SID or whomever controls that PR aspect, it would not have made the light of day.  You say something like, "a crowd of Marquette fans and supporters gathered at the Al McGuire Center to send the team off...."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:41:06 PM »
I wanted to take my kids down there but details were somewhat limited. Ugly night but regret not going.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »
Yeah, that's not exactly overwhelming.  If I were the SID or whomever controls that PR aspect, it would not have made the light of day.  You say something like, "a crowd of Marquette fans and supporters gathered at the Al McGuire Center to send the team off...."

Really, why even release that. Where are the students? Sure seems like really weak student support for the team this year. Thank God the adminisrtation supports the program.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »
That's ridiculous....great job again students.  Do they even know there's a game on Friday night?

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
That is embarassing to say the least if true. I feel bad for the players and coaches. There had to be more than 50 people there? Is this a joke? Heck, I live 3 hours away and was contemplating on going down. Do people just not care or do people just see UNC's name and figure they're going to lose Friday anyways?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »
This is kind of what I meant about identity crisis. No one cry if coach leaves because he does not feel appreciated.

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »
I was there. It was pretty underwhelming, but it wasn't well publicized and it wasn't really much of a send off. There wasn't really much of a ceremony or anything. There was a crowd of people and the players walked through them across the sidewalk to get on the bus. Then we waited around a little longer for Buzz to get on the bus. He slapped a few high fives and was on the bus. The weather was awful so I think that also kept people away. Nobody spoke or anything. I expected a bit more of a pep rally type deal.

I'm not complaining; just saying what I saw happen. The main thing I came away thinking was that this really shows a glaring difference between Buzz and Crean. I think Crean would have played this up big time and been all over the crowd that was there. I think he really would have made a big deal of this send off, and Buzz didn't seem to.

I like Buzz better.

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
I also think 50 people may be a pretty generous estimate. Not that I counted or anything.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
What were you expecting hundreds of people sitting in the hallway of the Al or on the street in the rain to watch the team get on a bus? Well obviously it would be nice to have that but the reality is it wasn't that type of event. In a perfect world it would have been a more formal event with more people but with the short notice, the weather and limited information I'm fine with a more intimate limited turnout (the little kids getting the autographs is what its all about). Besides these kids need to FOCUS on the game they have on Friday not turn this into a PR tour.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »
What were you expecting hundreds of people sitting in the hallway of the Al or on the street in the rain to watch the team get on a bus?

Yes.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
Does Buzz do much promotion of the team on campus? He has the BBQ event in the spring or summer, right? Does he do much during the season? Just wondering.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »
8,000 ppl showed up to send UNC off. PATHETIC!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
This crap has been going on all year.   The diehards are behind this program but attendance has been seeming to suck lately for things.  Our huge senior night game against Cincy I was underwhelmed by the crowd,  Crean probably would have had that place packed...not sure if people/students aren't embracing Buzz or we need to win a ton to ensure maximum hype.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:14 AM »
I personally had no idea when/where the send off was happening.  I'm a student at MU right now... Did MU Athletics even send an e-mail or anything?  They sent an e-mail regarding Buzz being at Centercourt Monday evening and I heard it was wall to wall people.  Would it have killed them to make the information on the send-off more accessible?