[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Final Four? Bilas says maybe  (Read 3026 times)

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
Final Four? Bilas says maybe
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »
I agree with Bilas, I think Marquette can go really far... in a one game scenario we can beat anyone, also lose to anyone. For all those who don't have ESPN insider, the Marquette section is posted below.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&id=2750725

Marquette
Why? This is a team I tabbed with this label in the preseason, and it is still in position, even though none of Marquette's offensive numbers would suggest a run deep in the Tournament. This is not a great shooting team and not a team with a great inside game. It is, however, a tough and together team with outstanding guard play. The Golden Eagles are a much improved passing and handling team that has done a better job of late of taking good shots and attacking off the dribble. Marquette is shooting better as a result and shooting more free throws. Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews are special guards, and no guard trio in the nation works as hard as they do. McNeal is an outstanding defender who gets more deflections than a hockey goalie. James can take over a game with his speed and explosiveness and Matthews does everything and lays his body on the line every game. With improved play from Dan Fitzgerald, David Cubillan and Ousmane Barro, Marquette has more options and versatility.

Why Not? The Golden Eagles are not consistent shooters, and in a tournament setting, the percentages suggest that will catch up with them. This is an outstanding offensive rebounding team, but in a one-game scenario, Marquette is held hostage by how it shoots the ball more than any other team on this list.

Most Indispensable Player: Dominic James. Marquette needs his energy and explosive scoring, as well as his dynamic leadership.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:19:55 AM by rocky_warrior »

State

• Starter
Re: Final Four? Bilas says maybe
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:33 PM »
Funny....

Bilas never says anything anyone doesn't already know...many of the posters on this board could do his (and other commentators) job.  However, we are confined to our office walls and door and he gets to jetset to every national televised game....life just isn't fair.   :D

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:30:22 AM »
Bilas never says anything anyone doesn't already know

Maybe, but he says it about every team in the country.  Quick, give me a break down of the relative strengths and weaknesses of Nebraska this year...I bet Bilas could do it, but I bet you cannot.  That's why he gets to jet set around the country.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »
I still think Hayward is a wildcard. I dont think he has reached his potential yet.  Hopefully, it will start to happen in Late Feb.

Barro, Fitz, Cubillian, and Burke have picked up their games.  Lott & Trend need to find their roles, but these things tend to work themselves out in a long dance.  The nice thing is that Barro, Fitz,  Hayward, Cube and Burke will all be better next year.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »
I still think Hayward is a wildcard. I dont think he has reached his potential yet.  Hopefully, it will start to happen in Late Feb.

I fully expect Cubillan and Hayward (and heck, even Trend - early reports were that he could shoot the 3 ball well) to be an important part of Marquette's NCAA run this year (ala Novak, Chapman and Bradley in 03)  ;D

tweakers_suck

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »

I fully expect Cubillan and Hayward (and heck, even Trend - early reports were that he could shoot the 3 ball well) to be an important part of Marquette's NCAA run this year (ala Novak, Chapman and Bradley in 03)  ;D

I watched the MU vs Kent 2003 game last night.  An important player for MU will be Barro.  In the 2003 game RJax absolutely detstroyed Kent all night long.  Does MU have that player this year?  The second most dominant player was Jackson.  He brought it all game long.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
Funny....

Bilas never says anything anyone doesn't already know...many of the posters on this board could do his (and other commentators) job.  However, we are confined to our office walls and door and he gets to jetset to every national televised game....life just isn't fair.   :D

Thought that about pretty much every commentator, my friends say I take in ESPN with osmosis, and that I just have stats stored everywhere in my head, about every sport, mostly college basketball.  Maybe I should change my major
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

feedback