[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette  (Read 4264 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2024, 10:34:46 AM »
It's a niche topic NOW. You think people on other message boards care about what Buzz Williams said a decade ago?

Not to mention that message boards are filled with wierdo, obsessed fans and really representative of a team's fanbase.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2024, 10:35:19 AM »
His career tanked after he tried to grow hair.

I do appreciate that he's going with the Civil War general look with that new facial hair he's sporting.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2024, 10:40:02 AM »
It's a niche topic NOW. You think people on other message boards care about what Buzz Williams said a decade ago?

Not to mention that message boards are filled with wierdo, obsessed fans and really representative of a team's fanbase.

I'm quite confident that if i created an account, put the quote on the various boards and did a poll saying "did this piss you off?" That the vast majority would tick yes.

Add as many qualifiers as you want it still extends past just Marquette fans like you said.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 10:45:19 AM »
I'm quite confident that if i created an account, put the quote on the various boards and did a poll saying "did this piss you off?" That the vast majority would tick yes.

Add as many qualifiers as you want it still extends past just Marquette fans like you said.

I'm just as confident that the vast majority haven't thought about that quote since they read it a decade ago.

Buzz shat on MU and the Big East on his way out the door, and that will never be OK. But I very much doubt many Xavier or Providence fans are sitting around stewing over it today.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 10:47:16 AM »

Do that and report back....or continue being an over-pedantic dickhead here. I don't care either way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 10:48:36 AM »
Do that and report back....or continue being an over-pedantic dickhead here. I don't care either way.

Isn't that your thing on here most days? I mean starting from your response from my post. Just seems like you don't like when it's done back.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 10:55:04 AM »
Virginia Tech was the DePaul of the ACC when he took over. Imagine DePaul making the tournament much less the sweet 16 at any point in your lifetime. What would you say about the coach that accomplished that?

These are two very different circumstances.

DePaul has made the Final Four in my lifetime and was competitive for several years thereafter. Plus, DePaul is in a basketball talent hotbed in Chicago and patching up differences with CPL could make DePaul a competitive team fairly quickly. That, and NIL/Transfer Portal could be quite appealing if managed correctly.

Virginia Tech was the pond scum of the ACC. Blacksburg's talent pool and appeal is limited, especially compared to Chicago. As much as I dislike the Hillbilly for the comments he made on the way out, he bought into an incredibly tough task at Virginia Tech and actually did well there.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 10:56:42 AM »
Isn't that your thing on here most days? I mean starting from your response from my post. Just seems like you don't like when it's done back.

Sorry you can neither take criticism or understand nuance. I'll keep that in mind next time I respond to do.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2024, 10:59:26 AM »
Sorry you can neither take criticism or understand nuance. I'll keep that in mind next time I respond to do.

Thank you and likewise  :-*
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2024, 11:00:42 AM »
These are two very different circumstances.

DePaul has made the Final Four in my lifetime and was competitive for several years thereafter. Plus, DePaul is in a basketball talent hotbed in Chicago and patching up differences with CPL could make DePaul a competitive team fairly quickly. That, and NIL/Transfer Portal could be quite appealing if managed correctly.

Virginia Tech was the pond scum of the ACC. Blacksburg's talent pool and appeal is limited, especially compared to Chicago. As much as I dislike the Hillbilly for the comments he made on the way out, he bought into an incredibly tough task at Virginia Tech and actually did well there.

I would have agree with this general sentiment 15-20 years ago, but DePaul is so far away from being competitive and I don't think its a quick fix. They haven't been competitive in not only most of the current player's lifetimes, but their parent's lifetimes as well. And just because they are local doesn't mean that CPL players actually want to go there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2024, 11:14:00 AM »
Virginia Tech was the DePaul of the ACC when he took over. Imagine DePaul making the tournament much less the sweet 16 at any point in your lifetime. What would you say about the coach that accomplished that?

That's not really true. They had four 20+ win seasons under Seth Greenberg between 2007 and 2012, but, except for one year, lived in perpetual "last four out" territory. Over Greenberg's last six seasons, VaTech finished 3rd, 4th, 7th, 3rd, 4th and 9th in the ACC.
Comparatively, DePaul has had three 20+ wins seasons in this millennium.
Buzz improved on what Greenberg did, but VaTech was not at all comparable to DePaul when he took over.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2024, 11:18:35 AM »
Coaches don't leave MU and have more success...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2024, 11:20:21 AM »
Imagine DePaul having the success VA Tech had under Seth Greenberg..

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2024, 11:22:24 AM »
Answer: MARQUETTE!
               🏀 👑 🏔

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2024, 11:26:12 AM »
Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Northwestern, Indiana, Georgia, Marquette.

One of these things is not like the others. And it ain’t even I4.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2024, 11:49:00 AM »
A&M's AD is about to accept the same position at Ohio State.

Do we want to bet that Buzz has a unique opt-out clause that drops his buyout to $0?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2024, 11:53:46 AM »
A&M's AD is about to accept the same position at Ohio State.

Do we want to bet that Buzz has a unique opt-out clause that drops his buyout to $0?

Are you suggesting Ohio State would hire him? Why?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2024, 11:53:59 AM »
Buzz sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2024, 12:09:15 PM »

Because Holtmann kinda sucks.  Buckeye fans don't care about baseball...but January swoons are not winning him any fans.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2024, 12:09:33 PM »

No, I'm simply suggesting a repetition in history.  Buzz had a unique clause at MU that dropped his buyout to zero if there were certain changes at the admin level.  If he did the same thing with A&M, he could hypothetically jump to another job after the season for minimal, if any, financial penalty to him or a new school.

He left Tech after 5 seasons.  This will be his 5th season at A&M.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2024, 12:16:35 PM »
His career tanked after he tried to grow hair.
Same think happened to Urlacher.

Coincidence? I think not.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2024, 12:23:50 PM »
Because Holtmann kinda sucks.  Buckeye fans don't care about baseball...but January swoons are not winning him any fans.

I'm not saying Holtmann is safe.
I'm saying tOSU would likely aim higher than a guy who's delivered more binders than tournament wins at Texas A&M.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2024, 12:27:21 PM »
Coaches don't leave MU and have more success...

Except for Rick Majerus.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2024, 12:30:40 PM »
No, I'm simply suggesting a repetition in history.  Buzz had a unique clause at MU that dropped his buyout to zero if there were certain changes at the admin level.  If he did the same thing with A&M, he could hypothetically jump to another job after the season for minimal, if any, financial penalty to him or a new school.

He left Tech after 5 seasons.  This will be his 5th season at A&M.

I could certainly see Buzz leaving, though I'm not sure where he would go. He's not getting Texas right now, maybe Baylor if it were to open up (Scott Drew to IU?) or TCU, but I can't see Dixon leaving. He grew up just outside Dallas/Fort Worth, so maybe getting closer to there (he's about 3 hours away in College Station).

I don't know what his motivation is to leave right now. While I do think he has some restless soul to him, I'm not sure there's a job out there that calls to him closer in terms of quality he could get or proximity to home (which is what always seemed to be his goal).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2024, 12:42:06 PM »
I could certainly see Buzz leaving, though I'm not sure where he would go. He's not getting Texas right now, maybe Baylor if it were to open up (Scott Drew to IU?) or TCU, but I can't see Dixon leaving. He grew up just outside Dallas/Fort Worth, so maybe getting closer to there (he's about 3 hours away in College Station).

I don't know what his motivation is to leave right now. While I do think he has some restless soul to him, I'm not sure there's a job out there that calls to him closer in terms of quality he could get or proximity to home (which is what always seemed to be his goal).
I kind of agree but TA&M feels right for him if he can't get Texas. Good money, in Texas, major conference and I doubt the 8 Aggie basketball fans would call for his head ever.

feedback