'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette  (Read 4267 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette
« on: January 16, 2024, 06:53:19 AM »
I was thinking about Buzz the other day while watching them beat Kentucky. I had to do some research into his stats since leaving Marquette in 2014 but in 10 seasons that he left to go to Virginia Tech and then Texas A&M he only has 3 NCAA tournament appearances and 0 NCAA tournament wins. My question is after being to the sweet 16 three straight years including in Elite 8 in his final 3 seasons at Marquette, why did his success not translate. Yes, his final year they were bad but he was checked out at this point. I remember the junk yard dog mentality where no one in the country would out hustle them. Its very odd to have a coach with that success especially in the old big east not translate to at minimum a second round tournament game.   

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 07:04:49 AM »
I was thinking about Buzz the other day while watching them beat Kentucky. I had to do some research into his stats since leaving Marquette in 2014 but in 10 seasons that he left to go to Virginia Tech and then Texas A&M he only has 3 NCAA tournament appearances and 0 NCAA tournament wins. My question is after being to the sweet 16 three straight years including in Elite 8 in his final 3 seasons at Marquette, why did his success not translate. Yes, his final year they were bad but he was checked out at this point. I remember the junk yard dog mentality where no one in the country would out hustle them. Its very odd to have a coach with that success especially in the old big east not translate to at minimum a second round tournament game.
Once your happy is messed, it takes awhile to unmess it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 07:13:28 AM »

Check your facts.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 07:16:02 AM »
Yes you are right I missed when they made the Sweet 16 in 2019 my bad. Even still imo he didnt translate.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 07:33:23 AM »
Yes you are right I missed when they made the Sweet 16 in 2019 my bad. Even still imo he didnt translate.

Virginia Tech was the DePaul of the ACC when he took over. Imagine DePaul making the tournament much less the sweet 16 at any point in your lifetime. What would you say about the coach that accomplished that?

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 07:35:18 AM »
I haven't checked But did you factor in early building years vs later years in any given program. Still not equal to MU but maybe not.so harsh.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:45:28 AM »
Shaka's NCAA record since the #donedeal: 1-6

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 08:02:02 AM »
Buzz stepped into a great situation at Marquette. He stepped into ... well ya know ... at Va Tech. Of course, that was his choice. He's done nothing of consequence yet at Texas A&M - unless one counts whining about not making the tourney something of consequence - but it's early.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 08:05:39 AM »
Virginia Tech was the DePaul of the ACC when he took over. Imagine DePaul making the tournament much less the sweet 16 at any point in your lifetime. What would you say about the coach that accomplished that?

no they werent Seth Greenberg won 20 games multiple times. they were terrible but miles ahead of depaul
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 09:08:02 AM »
Yeah he went from Marquette to Virginia Tech and then to Texas A&M. Not exactly similar when it comes to history, tradition and quality of basketball programs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 09:16:18 AM »
Buzz is a good basketball coach (as we saw) but is an elite quote (as we also saw). When he has the team, he can do some damage, but I don't think his coaching game matches is quoting game. However, because of the latter, he will always be held in high regard nationally because whether his teams are good or bad, he's always interesting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 09:17:00 AM »
He sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 09:18:48 AM »
Just another ex that I wish all the best for and rarely give another thought to until they are brought up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 09:19:26 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 09:28:16 AM »
Just another ex that I wish all the best for and rarely give another thought to until they are brought up.

Replicating his success would help with that, as good as last year was we've only had 1.75 truly good years since buzz's second to last year (2023 and 2019) but neither one extended to the ncaa tournament.

Also seeing a Big East team, ideally us, destroy his aggies after he crapped all over the conference on the way out would help validate that he was wrong in a very public way. I'd love to see a post game where he's asked about his post MU comments regarding the likelihood of big east success in the future.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2024, 09:39:36 AM »
His career tanked after he tried to grow hair.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »
Replicating his success would help with that, as good as last year was we've only had 1.75 truly good years since buzz's second to last year (2023 and 2019) but neither one extended to the ncaa tournament.

Also seeing a Big East team, ideally us, destroy his aggies after he crapped all over the conference on the way out would help validate that he was wrong in a very public way. I'd love to see a post game where he's asked about his post MU comments regarding the likelihood of big east success in the future.

Nice to know that I am not the only one hoping for this. Good coach, but   he   did   not   need   to crap on the conference on his way out the door. I really hope we get the chance to say hi to Buzz in the way you sketched out.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2024, 09:43:20 AM »
Nobody is going to ask about that because it was a long time ago and really a niche topic that really only Marquette fans care about any longer. Everyone has pretty much moved on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 09:44:48 AM »
Nobody is going to ask about that because it was a long time ago and really a niche topic that really only Marquette fans care about any longer. Everyone has pretty much moved on.

I've seen it referenced on other schools message boards. Specifically Nova after their first NBE championship
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 09:48:41 AM »
A lot of things are talked about on message boards. Nova's first NBE championship was eight years ago - an eternity. Can you imagine a media member asking "When you left Marquette a decade ago, you expressed concerns about the viability of the Big East Conference. Now that you lost to Creighton, can you share what you think of the conference now?"

Cmon... Just not going to happen. His comments had no bearing on the conference whatsoever.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2024, 09:50:21 AM »
I like Buzz. Thought he did a great job here. He won a lot of games. I’m too lazy to look it up, but I thought Buzz had a decent run at VaT one year? Regardless, I wish it ended better for him at Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 09:55:16 AM »

Well, it would depend on what round MU meets TAMU in the NCAAT. For example, the day between the S16 round and the E8 round, there usually are all kinds of bizarre questions asked at press conferences because there are only two teams left at the site, interview sessions are longer, and reporters are looking for different angles. It wouldn't be the most out-of-left-field or stoopidest question asked of Buzz that day, that's for sure.

I also could see someone doing a long feature on Buzz and who gets to interview him for an hour or more maybe bringing it up as they talk about his coaching history.

But as part of a routine post-game interview session, no, it wouldn't come up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 10:19:19 AM »
A lot of things are talked about on message boards. Nova's first NBE championship was eight years ago - an eternity. Can you imagine a media member asking "When you left Marquette a decade ago, you expressed concerns about the viability of the Big East Conference. Now that you lost to Creighton, can you share what you think of the conference now?"

Cmon... Just not going to happen. His comments had no bearing on the conference whatsoever.

I am sure most, if not all, Marquette Nation would consider a National Championship that we won just 8 years ago not an eternity. We still, and rightfully so, pride ourselves on our 77 Championship year which for me seems like yesterday but is nearly 50 years ago. Now that is an eternity.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2024, 10:23:33 AM »
I am sure most, if not all, Marquette Nation would consider a National Championship that we won just 8 years ago not an eternity. We still, and rightfully so, pride ourselves on our 77 Championship year which for me seems like yesterday but is nearly 50 years ago. Now that is an eternity.

You are completely ignoring the circumstances I am talking about, but sure.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2024, 10:32:17 AM »

So it's "a niche topic nobody cares about except Marquette fans" except for when it isn't on other message boards? Say what you want about what may or may not happen during a press conference, I'd personally love that question as it holds accountability to an a$shole that said sure it probably won't happen. But the fact is your statement about it being a niche topic only relevant to MU fans isn't true as it pissed off 9 other basketball schools as well (well 8, I'll grant you depaul probably didn't notice) arguably more because the phrasing was just aimed at Big East but small to medium basketball only schools so you could easily lump in Gonzaga, St Mary's, Wichita St, Loyola etc as people who probably were a little peeved.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback