[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana Elite Article  (Read 18140 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Indiana Elite Article
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »

Hahahahaahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Not even close.

Good point - Josh Pastner at Memphis shot down the idea of hiring Drew Adams to his staff, as he didn't feel he was qualified to land such a position at a high D-1 school.  For those who dog Calipari for his tight relationship with World Wide Wes - not sure I understand why you wouldn't think Crean is treading in the same territory with mentions to Sonny Vacarro/Addidas - a known Power Broker in college hoops, much like World Wide Wes for Calipari.

For as up in arms as you got over the Newbill situation, you sure seem to be giving Crean a pass here.  Why?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »
It seems like Crean has Indiana pointed back in the right direction, but I think the number that stood out for me was the "eight recruits". I remember seeing that Crean has something like 7-8 top 50 recruits coming in over the next four years. So basically, the entire basis of his successful recruiting is this one AAU program. Well, that and Cody Zeller, who I'm pretty sure isn't from the Sudan. This really looks like Crean cut a deal with the devil to get IU back on top. I'm disappointed. I hope that this isn't as bad as it looks for Crean,

Umm, actually Cody Zeller and another traditional (Etherington) from their incoming class also ran with Indiana Elite. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
New Mexico is going to be a POWERHOUSE now that they got this video coordinator going down there...An Absolute POWERHOUSE.  Put your money in Vegas on Steve Alford and New Mexico to win it all....they got the video coordinator.

LOL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
For a complete list of Indiana Elite players and teams that players have gone (list below), as I've said for over two years now, it's a joke to say they are all going to IU.  Not the case and not even the case in the last few years until this past year.

IU Elite has been around since the 1970's and always been a place where IU (and MANY) other schools have received talent.

One of the reasons IU had fallen on hard times is the Indiana Elite kids were not going to IU in droves like they used to.  Now Crean has basically convinced these kids to stay home, but year in and year out Indiana Elite was always cranking out massive amounts of DI players....the difference is that most of the 2012 class decided to stay in Bloomington and play.

I believe ESPN ranked IU #1 recruiting class in the nation a few days ago.  Not surprising, they are absolutely LOADED as I've also said for quite a while now.

-Ohio State – Walter Offutt
-Tennessee – Emannuel Negedu
-Kentucky – DeAndre Liggins
-North Carolina – Tyler Zeller
-Purdue – Lewis Jackson
-Michigan – Zack Novak and Stuart Douglass
-Indiana – Matt Roth (scholarship) Kory Barnett and Daniel Moore (walkons)
-Valparaiso – Logan Jones
-Bellarmine – Brayden Hobbs
-Western Michigan – Mohammed Conteh
-UW Green Bay – Brent Eaton
-Butler – Chase Stigall and Garrett Butcher

-Duke – Mason Plumlee
-Indiana – Jordan Hulls and Bobby Coppabianco
-Purdue – Patrick Bade and D.J. Byrd
-Louisville – Stephen Van Treese
-Bradley – Jordan Prosser
-Evansville – Colt Ryan
-Valparaiso – Matt Kinney

-Purdue – Terone Johnson
-Butler – Erik Fromm
-UW Green Bay – Daniel Turner

-Duke – Marshall Plumlee
-Indiana – Austin Etherington and Cody Zeller
-New Mexico- Chier Ajou
-Cincinnati – Ge’Lawn Guyn & Jeremiah Davis
-Belmont – Spencer Turner

-Indiana – Yogi Ferrell, Hanner Perea, Peter Jurkin, Ron Patterson, Jeremy Hollowell
-Michigan State – Kenny Kaminski

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
When a player says this about the corporation, you know something bad is going on:

""I mean, Duany is my guardian, but Duany is never around," Nyarsuk says. "Since he got us here, he goes back to Sudan to find other players. I don't know what he is doing. When Duany went back to Sudan, he left us with Mark Adams. Mark Adams is supposed to take care of us. Mark Adams is the one that is supposed to do everything."
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
It's kind of interesting where some people here went with this ESPN TC article.

I suppose some people could make similar leaps about this statement from MPD today on our situation.  "There is no evidence that the coaching staff intended to interfere with the investigation," Chisholm said. "It highlights, however, that when proper procedure is not followed, it prevents an untainted interview with any suspect and provides an opportunity for the individuals allegedly involved as suspects or witnesses to compare recollections regarding the circumstances of the alleged conduct."

Even though the ESPN article says no evidence of wrongdoing by IU, people believe it here anyway.  And even though the MJS article similarly says no evidence of wrongdoing by Buzz and staff...wait...no one went there. 

Fans are great, aren't they.  They believe what they want to believe.

Incidentally, for the dolts that think Crean is on the hot seat....Glass says not even close....more importantly...the key donors say the same thing.  Not surprising, been hearing that through my Big Ten, IU, ESPN, and Fox sports contacts for 24 months.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/Crean_doesnt_see_next_season_as_make_or_break_year_122615294.html

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
For a complete list of Indiana Elite players and teams that players have gone (list below), as I've said for over two years now, it's a joke to say they are all going to IU.  Not the case and not even the case in the last few years until this past year.

How about this, then ... in the three years before Crean hired Drew Adams, IU signed three Indiana Elite players.
In the 12 months since Crean hired Drew Adams, they've signed eight.

Mere coincidence, I'm sure. Nothing to see here. Please move along.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
How about this, then ... in the three years before Crean hired Drew Adams, IU signed three Indiana Elite players.
In the 12 months since Crean hired Drew Adams, they've signed eight.

Mere coincidence, I'm sure. Nothing to see here. Please move along.

LOL....right, because being on NCAA probation in 2008 apparently wasn't like flies to honey for recruits...is that what you expected...LOL.  Of course they didn't sign a bunch of good kids in 2008, they were on probation for Christ sake.

Furthermore, now that they are beyond that you apparently think it's implausible for guys to want to play for THE state school, a guy who landed D-Wade (who just smashed your Bulls again), a guy who landed Wes Matthews (NBA), Indiana's Dominic James, Steve Novak (NBA), Travis Diener (NBA and former Indiana Pacer), Lazar Hayward (NBA), etc, etc wouldn't be the reason to go to IU....no, it was because of the video coordinator.

Well, we'll test your theory to the core then won't we Pakuni.  The video coordinator is now at New Mexico so IU's recruiting should fall off the earth and New Mexico should get all that talent...I mean, that's what you are saying.

You are funny.  Your logic is incredible.  Truly.  Pat yourself on the back

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
LOL....right, because being on NCAA probation in 2008 apparently wasn't like flies to honey for recruits...is that what you expected...LOL.  Of course they didn't sign a bunch of good kids in 2008, they were on probation for Christ sake.

Furthermore, now that they are beyond that you apparently think it's implausible for guys to want to play for THE state school, a guy who landed D-Wade (who just smashed your Bulls again), a guy who landed Wes Matthews (NBA), Indiana's Dominic James, Steve Novak (NBA), Travis Diener (NBA and former Indiana Pacer), Lazar Hayward (NBA), etc, etc wouldn't be the reason to go to IU....no, it was because of the video coordinator.

Well, we'll test your theory to the core then won't we Pakuni.  The video coordinator is now at New Mexico so IU's recruiting should fall off the earth and New Mexico should get all that talent...I mean, that's what you are saying.

You are funny.  Your logic is incredible.  Truly.  Pat yourself on the back

I want the Video Coordinator job.
http://www.mgsportsmanagement.com/MattRyanList.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
By the way, the APR scores just came out.  Indiana got a perfect 1000.  This is another reason why he was hired, to clean up the absolute academic cluster screw that was left him.  IU fans very happy and proud of that accomplishment....I know that doesn't resonate with most of you here, but it's a big deal to IU fans.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-ncaa-aprreport-india,0,3185208.story

We did pretty well ourselves...a solid 980 at Marquette...good for 6th in the Big East...well done Warriors

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2011/5/24/2188148/big-east-ncaa-apr-multiyear-scores-mens-basketball

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
LOL....right, because being on NCAA probation in 2008 apparently wasn't like flies to honey for recruits...is that what you expected...LOL.  Of course they didn't sign a bunch of good kids in 2008, they were on probation for Christ sake.

Well, we'll test your theory to the core then won't we Pakuni.  The video coordinator is now at New Mexico so IU's recruiting should fall off the earth and New Mexico should get all that talent...I mean, that's what you are saying.

You are funny.  Your logic is incredible.  Truly.  Pat yourself on the back

Sure, Chico's ... I'm on record as stating that New Mexico will get a top 5 recruiting class. Whatever you need to say to sidestep the real issues here, feel free. Whatever it takes to defend your boy, I guess.

And of course a kid like Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell would chose the guy who coached Lazar Hayward and Dominic James over no-name coaches like Roy Williams, John Calipari and Thad Matta. What kid doesn't dream about that? Those other bums clearly don't have Tom Crean's record of accomplishment or history of sending players to the pros. You are funny.  Your logic is incredible.  Truly.  Pat yourself on the back.

One of the many ironies here is that you rant and rave about MU being mentioned on minor-league blogs like "oversigning.com," but brush aside a major ESPN investigation when it's critical of your boy.

Anyhow, your childish snide remarks aside, don't you think it's odd Drew Adams would up and leave a job at his state school - the one every kid apparently dreams of being a part of - to make a lateral move at a lesser program like New Mexico? And just as ESPN is wrapping up a big investigation about his father's activities and his part in them? One that might bring a lot of heat on his current employer?
Or is it just another one of those coincidences?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 02:13:04 AM »
Sure, Chico's ... I'm on record as stating that New Mexico will get a top 5 recruiting class. Whatever you need to say to sidestep the real issues here, feel free. Whatever it takes to defend your boy, I guess.

And of course a kid like Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell would chose the guy who coached Lazar Hayward and Dominic James over no-name coaches like Roy Williams, John Calipari and Thad Matta. What kid doesn't dream about that? Those other bums clearly don't have Tom Crean's record of accomplishment or history of sending players to the pros. You are funny.  Your logic is incredible.  Truly.  Pat yourself on the back.

One of the many ironies here is that you rant and rave about MU being mentioned on minor-league blogs like "oversigning.com," but brush aside a major ESPN investigation when it's critical of your boy.

Anyhow, your childish snide remarks aside, don't you think it's odd Drew Adams would up and leave a job at his state school - the one every kid apparently dreams of being a part of - to make a lateral move at a lesser program like New Mexico? And just as ESPN is wrapping up a big investigation about his father's activities and his part in them? One that might bring a lot of heat on his current employer?
Or is it just another one of those coincidences?

Look, you were the one that went down the path of idiocy.  Indiana kids often dream of playing for Indiana.  I'm sorry this is hard for you to grasp.  Does it always happen?  NO.  When they suck does it happen?  NO.  When they get one or two kids on board and the tidal wave of recruits starts...yeah, it can happen.

Excuse me...."minor blogs" like oversigning.com yet you ignore those very same stories I posted on Yahoo Sports, etc, etc...are those "minor league" or you are you just being selective as usual?  Is it MINOR LEAGUES when HBO was going to do a story on the Newbill situation...or is HBO just minor leagues?  The only reason it fell through was Newbill deciding at the end not to go through with it.  Please, stop with your double standards.

Why did this Adams kid leave?  I have no idea.  Now, you apparently think it's because Crean and IU are cheating...interesting.  Based on what exactly?  It amazes me that a coach that can land a D Wade, Lazar Hayward, Wes Matthews, Steve Novak, Jerel McNeal, Dominic James, etc, etc at tiny little MU would not be able to land great basketball players at one of the top 5 or 6 programs of all time....REALLY?  I mean...REALLY?  Instead it's because of the video coordinator.  Jesus...listen to yourself.  You totally throw out who he was able to get at MU and pretend as if it wouldn't be easier to get as good or better talent that IU.  You're kidding yourself.

Did he ever cheat at Marquette to get those kids?  Was the Adams kid on the MU staff as the video coordinator?  How on earth did Crean ever land those kids I listed above?  Maybe Crean did cheat, the backhanded remark about compliance at IU being much more restrictive than anywhere he had ever been previously says something potentially about lax standards (does he mean MSU, MU, Pitt, W. Kentucky?) at previous stops but doesn't mention which ones.  Can only speculate.  

I told you, despite what you and House want to admit, I'm way more connected to IU then you want to give credit for which is fine.  I don't particularly give a rip, but as I told you two years ago and again last year, Glass and the administration are 100% behind him.  He's got the academics in order, he cleaned out all the problem idiots (I mean IDIOTS....the tokers, those that didn't study, those that were doing all kinds of stuff that would make even UCONN fans blush), he is landing kids in the state after working their tails off for 3 years to finally get that opportunity.   You obviously do NOT know the Zellers or you wouldn't make that stupid statement about why Cody chose IU over UNC.  Etc, etc.  Indiana kids, many of them, WANT to stay in Indiana and not rush off to play at those other schools.  Unless you are from Indiana or went there, you simply do not understand.  There are many exceptions, especially when they aren't good, but when they have a chance to be good or are playing well, the draw to stay home is heavy.  Way more than 99% of the country.

You simply don't know the information but you keep running out there like you do.  Please put on your tin foil hat next time.  Meanwhile, do you think MU basketball got in the way of any investigation of the Milwaukee Police Department?  Since you are wearing your guilty purse I'd be curious when you take it off.  (incidentally, I have no reason to believe MU athletics intervened in any investigation, but I have to guess based on your wild ride here that if that same incident happened in Bloomington, IN that you'd have the noose already ready to put around someone's head)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:14:36 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 07:03:23 AM »
Is it ok to do things that could be defined as squirmy as long as supports Indiana kids dreams?  What about Sudanese kids dreams?

My guess is that no NCAA rules were broken and worse things happen in bball today, but it is not a good thing to be on ESPN for potentially rewarding an AAU coach/handler.  I am not sure how you could argue otherwise.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 07:28:48 AM »
I don't like TC, therefore, this article confirms that he is shady.

I like Buzz, therefore, the sexual assault stuff is just a bump in the road.

Chico's is a douche.

This about covers it, right? Do I even need to read the rest of the posts?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »
First, the situation at Marquette has nothing to do with the article on Indiana and Indiana Elite. And while ESPN doesn't come out and say there is a direct connection, there's a reason. They don't have the evidence and don't want to be sued for libel. However, anyone who doesn't connect the dots that ESPN is inferring that this is a shady connection is blind.

I'm not saying Crean can't recruit. I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job to get their academics and talent in order. But this article certainly raises some legitimate questions about the funnel of talent now going to Indiana. Maybe these kids are all making the decision on their own, but if you believe some of the kids that have gotten out, it doesn't look that way. That's all they're trying to say is that there is smoke, and sometimes, where there's smoke, there's fire.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 07:53:15 AM »
I'm not buying it as dirty.  When he hired him, it wasn't illegal for Crean to hire that kid.    The rule was changed shortly thereafter.    It isn't illegal for these AAU kids to attend open gyms at IU.   A hell of an advantage, to be sure, but not illegal.   Crean knows a local AAU coach.   Duh.   Buzz knows lots of juco coaches in Texas.   Coaches are SUPPOSED to know AAU, HS, and juco coaches.   And those relationships matter.   IIRC, there was a belief that Crean, while at MU, had somehow become estranged with WI HS coaches and that is why all of the bigs kept going to UW.   We somehow ended up with Novak, Matthews, Diener, and Christopherson, but I seem to remember that.
        I think Crean is working his chicos off and his using the home court advantage of the quality of basketball in the state of Indiana to put together some nice classes.  Getting the best in-state talent from Indiana will generally keep you competitive in the B1?.    What remains to be seen is whether he can coach them.    And he is going to get a few years to try.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:03:11 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »
Look ....

Thanks for addressing exactly none of the questions posed by myself or the ESPN story.
Obfuscate all you wish (HBO? Nooses? Milwaukee Police? Cheating?), but one would have to be exceedingly naive or willfully ignorant to not to think something is fishy and that the timing of IU's sudden success with players from that AAU program is entirely unrelated to the hiring of the program head's son to a job for which he probably wasn't qualified.
Clearly ESPN, after a five-month investigation, doesn't think it's a coincidence. Neither do the kids who've played for Mark Adams. Maybe it's because they don't have your connections.
Nobody has said Tom Crean can't recruit. But his sudden success with one particular program after hiring the son of its operator is a little too convenient to ignore. Is it cheating? No, at least not then it wasn't. But it is shady. You've certainly squirmed over much less and I find it hard to believe you'd defend any other coach under these circumstances.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:22:10 AM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
If this guy, as a trusted coach for these kids, when asked the question "Coach, I've got offers from A,B, C, D, and Indiana, what do you think?", answers,  "well, I really like the direction Crean is taking IU, your family would get to watch you, etc."....it isn't cheating.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »
If this guy, as a trusted coach for these kids, when asked the question "Coach, I've got offers from A,B, C, D, and Indiana, what do you think?", answers,  "well, I really like the direction Crean is taking IU, your family would get to watch you, etc."....it isn't cheating.   

No.
But now let's fill in some other facts.
Let's say the trusted coach isn't just answering questions, let's say he's steering kids toward certain programs.
Let's say he starts pushing one program after that program's head coach gives his kid a coveted job for which he's arguably not qualified.
Let's say he cuts off support for kids who don't go to the programs he pushes.
Let's say he goes as far as to suggest he ought to adopt a kid to have more influence over his decisions.
Well, that isn't cheating, but it sure the heck smells.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »
What seems shady in my mind is the Indiana Elite program.  How much does this guy make to be able to throw over 6 figures into the program over the years for all the travel expenses, etc.  In the article he's adamant that the money has come from him, and relatives.  But bringing kids over from Africa, sponsoring them, feeding and finding housing for them isn't cheap - and is very time consuming.

Maybe this guy has the perfect job where he doesn't need to work 40 hours a week, and has the vacation time to be at these AAU events, pay for all that travel, food.

Edit:  And Crean better hope to hell he doesn't get on this guys bad side, as it's pretty obvious that would cost him.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:53:16 AM by lurch91 »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 09:19:24 AM »

Chico's is a douche.

2002 for the win
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
An Indiana Elite founder is accused by multiple sources of having raised the possibility of adopting former Indiana Elite player DeAndre Liggins, without his mother's permission, to influence his college selection.

SJS has advocated this for years!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »

Chico's is a douche.

Or the converse.

I like Crean and finding absolutely nothing even remotely troubling (squirmy) in ESPN's article.

I hate Buzz and believe every "squirmy" rumor that I hear or make up about him.

Chicos is a douche.

jesmu84

• All American

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
I have little doubt that Indiana stopped short of doing anything illegal here. I have even less doubt that they hired Adam's kid and took the other guy's kid as a preferred walkon as part of a wink/wink, nod/nod deal. I have absolutely NO DOUBT that if Buzz engaged in technically legal conduct that was subsequently deemed smarmy enough to cause the NCAA to write a statute banning it, Chicos would be all over him. With Buzz, any rumor or innuendo that can cause the slightest negative perception is squirm-worthy. Yet this story and (at the very least) the perceptions it creates doesn't cause even a blip on his squim-o-meter. Total, utter, unabashed hypocrisy.

feedback