[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz and Larry Williams Aren't Bosom Buddies...  (Read 41889 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Buzz and Larry Williams Aren't Bosom Buddies...
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
All we can do is have faith that Buzz will stay. We all have abandonment issues after Tan Tommy left.

Not all of us.

Shocking, but some have the maturity to accept what a person has done for the University and hold no ill will when they inevitably move on. I suggest the people who don't currently have this ability begin developing it over the next six months.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
And why exactly was the University roasted in the Chicago Tribune?  Because of the mishandling of the situation by the University Administration.  Because the University Policy violated State Law.  If the University Administration handled it properly and legally, much of the basis of that article does not exist.

+1
Add in that MU was in violation of the federal policy for 10+ years and at least 14 other cases not involving the basketball team...or that the same said paper was calling out the retiring MU President for sweeping away Jesuit priest abuse in Chicago at the same time.  MU has seven Jesuits on the BOT.  Anyone see that press release on the DOE report or fine?  Waiting on Walker's FOIA release article.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
Watch MU side with their short-term, do nothing AD—and lose the best coach they could ever hope for.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
So we are starting this again right before the season and so all the recruits can read that.  Nice job

If its true, which it probably is, why shouldn't recruits know it?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:48:09 PM by NavinRJohnson »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
This is what happens when you work for people who didn't hire you in the first place.

that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
I'll be interested in what madtown, lab and other's of their ilk make of this. Will they view it as another total fiction from a (new) member of the tin foil gang or finally see what's been obvious to the hiroshimites for nearly a year? Maybe they know Buzz better than Goodman.

Oh, Lenny.
Had the Hiroshimites left it at "I don't think Larry and Buzz are bosom buddies" you (they) wouldn't have received much argument or grief.
However, that's not where it was left. Instead, over the past six months we've heard claims such as:
- Buzz isn't being allowed to recruit JUCOs
- multiple players are being forced out
- new academic standards are being imposed retroactively
- Buzz was forced to suspend Todd Mayo (and every other player he's suspended)
- Buzz didn't suspended players until Larry Williams came along
- Todd Mayo is a victim of new academic standards
- The administration is scaling back the program

None of these claims have proven true, and all the evidence so far indicates they are false.
So, if you want to claim Goodman's remark as some kind of vindication, have at it. But some of us know better.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
And why exactly was the University roasted in the Chicago Tribune?  Because of the mishandling of the situation by the University Administration.  Because the University Policy violated State Law.  If the University Administration handled it properly and legally, much of the basis of that article does not exist.

That's not exactly what the Tribune story said.
It would be more accurate to say the Tribune story focused on mishandling of the situation by Public Safety and the athletic department.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
zzzzzzzzzz
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
Didn't we have this conversation last spring? 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz xkjnbztr zzzzzzzzzz (I have sleep apnea) zzzzzzzzzrthjklnbbzzzzzzzz

I want to get this in early.....before we get to 67 pages of tin foiling and hiroshimaizing..........

Crank baits or jigs.

Discuss.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO BEGIN!!!!!!!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
+1
Add in that MU was in violation of the federal policy for 10+ years and at least 14 other cases not involving the basketball team...or that the same said paper was calling out the retiring MU President for sweeping away Jesuit priest abuse in Chicago at the same time.  MU has seven Jesuits on the BOT.  Anyone see that press release on the DOE report or fine?  Waiting on Walker's FOIA release article.

I hold MU Admin at fault more than Buzz for the following:

1) not controlling the media situation what is happening and allowing the newspapers to control the story. if anyone knows anything about pr strategy, it's not about being right or wrong, it's about controlling the news flow. and any pr pro worth a pay check can do this. if you can't, fire their ass.

2) marquette was reactive, which will always lead to defense rather offense. you need to be in front of these issues. they need to know the law better than cops/da/news. for not having the right people in place, management failed.

Remember Buzz is not a PR firm. They sit on the BOT. And those firms suck ass. I wouldn't let them rep my brands if we somehow poisoned 10,000 people. I wouldn't let Anne Zizzo near my RFP. Her company is a hatchet company at best.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:03:49 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:30:21 PM »
Plus 1 Chili -- you're right on regarding Marquette PR efforts.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Oh, Lenny.
Had the Hiroshimites left it at "I don't think Larry and Buzz are bosom buddies" you (they) wouldn't have received much argument or grief.
However, that's not where it was left. Instead, over the past six months we've heard claims such as:
- Buzz isn't being allowed to recruit JUCOs
- multiple players are being forced out
- new academic standards are being imposed retroactively
- Buzz was forced to suspend Todd Mayo (and every other player he's suspended)
- Buzz didn't suspended players until Larry Williams came along
- Todd Mayo is a victim of new academic standards
- The administration is scaling back the program

None of these claims have proven true, and all the evidence so far indicates they are false.
So, if you want to claim Goodman's remark as some kind of vindication, have at it. But some of us know better.

You do realize many of the tin foil hat club pointed toward Larry's remarks to the Journal Sentinel as being idiotic, and toxic to the relationship between Buzz and Larry...and evidence of a rift...and that the rift could cause Buzz to leave.  There is no doubt there's been a power struggle...Buzz threatening/flirting with SMU was a ploy to get some power back that was being stripped away/attempted to be stripped away.

Buzz had a very pointed radio interview in the early spring talking about how "some" felt JUCO's didn't really belong at MU, and he liked it, because he now knew where those people stood, what their character was about, and that they weren't for giving kids a chance that had less than ideal backgrounds.  Did he flat out say it was Larry Williams or Pilarz?? Nope.  Could the inference be drawn given everything else going on at that time?  Absolutely.

There were many letters written to the Admin and BOT as a result of Buzz's flirtation with SMU, and those letters, as well as some influential donors speaking up...caused a pause with regard to what was being leveled/attempted....and Buzz was able to "win" some of what was being attempted to be stripped from him - JUCO recruiting being one of them.

But hey, for as many of us tin foilers....there are just as many of you head in the sanders.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 12:30:31 AM »
You do realize many of the tin foil hat club pointed toward Larry's remarks to the Journal Sentinel as being idiotic, and toxic to the relationship between Buzz and Larry...and evidence of a rift...and that the rift could cause Buzz to leave.  There is no doubt there's been a power struggle...Buzz threatening/flirting with SMU was a ploy to get some power back that was being stripped away/attempted to be stripped away.

Buzz had a very pointed radio interview in the early spring talking about how "some" felt JUCO's didn't really belong at MU, and he liked it, because he now knew where those people stood, what their character was about, and that they weren't for giving kids a chance that had less than ideal backgrounds.  Did he flat out say it was Larry Williams or Pilarz?? Nope.  Could the inference be drawn given everything else going on at that time?  Absolutely.

There were many letters written to the Admin and BOT as a result of Buzz's flirtation with SMU, and those letters, as well as some influential donors speaking up...caused a pause with regard to what was being leveled/attempted....and Buzz was able to "win" some of what was being attempted to be stripped from him - JUCO recruiting being one of them.

But hey, for as many of us tin foilers....there are just as many of you head in the sanders.

Neither tin-foiler nor head-in-sander here.

Just a Marquette alum and loyal fan who can't waste so much energy on something he has 0.00% control over.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »
Any more idiotic crap in this thread and I'll ban Kenosha for making everyone feel like they're entitled to say whatever they want.   No wait...I'll ban you for saying whatever you want.   What the heck, everyone is banned!

For the record, we've received several "requests" to ban Kenosha - and while I'll agree that he's posted some really, uh, off the wall thoughts lately, those aren't against the rules.  In case you need a brief rules refresher, see the "Welcome" post that has been pinned to the top for eternity now, but also remember that we expect you can self moderate. But if you become a moderation problem then we reserve the right to "remedy" problems.

edit: And I posted this before I read this thread, I'll leave a couple more thoughts there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:59:22 AM by rocky_warrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
Any more idiotic crap in this thread and I'll ban Kenosha for making everyone feel like their entitled to say whatever they want.  

*they're
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
*they're

That's it.  You're banned buddy.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
I can't help but get pissed about this tension that clearly exists at some level. We have a seemingly very genuine, talented, young, charismatic, successful coach who seemed to appreciate the opportunity he was given and values of the University, and now those feeli f'd of goodwill seem to have been jeopardized.

Not to say Buzz doesn't have his areas to improve on, I'm sure he does, but who doesn't? I also don't mean he is larger than life and should be given carte blanche to do whatever he wants. I don't know that he wants that anyway. Given the positives he has demonstrated, he has earned the right to feel valued and appreciated, and I'm not sure that he does despite a hefty contract. To me, that's a shame, and stupid on LW's part. Frankly, unless there is a lot more there than meets the eye, LW may be a lot easier to replace than Buzz if he can't get along or make the most important person is his department feel good about wanting to be there.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »
My theory....Goodman doesn't know sh1t, and got his insight on Buzz and LW from the tin foil wearing Hiroshimaists while readin scoop.  ;D

Works for Woeful in Racine

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 06:51:14 AM »
Didn't we have this conversation last spring? 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz xkjnbztr zzzzzzzzzz (I have sleep apnea) zzzzzzzzzrthjklnbbzzzzzzzz

I just had a sleep study and I found out i have sleep apnea.  Do you wear the mask? If so does it help a ton?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 06:59:17 AM »
I just had a sleep study and I found out i have sleep apnea.  Do you wear the mask? If so does it help a ton?

Yes and yes.  Won't travel without it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »

That is simply not true.  Buzz was never told he couldn't recruit JUCOs.  There was nothing to "win."

Throughout this entire episode with Buzz and LW, you have made numerous statements passing them off as fact when indeed they were nothing but guesses.  Yeah, it is obvious that LW and Buzz are not best of friends, but making stuff up doesn't help your case.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
I can't help but get pissed about this tension that clearly exists at some level. We have a seemingly very genuine, talented, young, charismatic, successful coach who seemed to appreciate the opportunity he was given and values of the University, and now those feeli f'd of goodwill seem to have been jeopardized.

Not to say Buzz doesn't have his areas to improve on, I'm sure he does, but who doesn't? I also don't mean he is larger than life and should be given carte blanche to do whatever he wants. I don't know that he wants that anyway. Given the positives he has demonstrated, he has earned the right to feel valued and appreciated, and I'm not sure that he does despite a hefty contract. To me, that's a shame, and stupid on LW's part. Frankly, unless there is a lot more there than meets the eye, LW may be a lot easier to replace than Buzz if he can't get along or make the most important person is his department feel good about wanting to be there.

Don't get your hopes up.  I really doubt the BOT or SP want LW replaced.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »

Goodman appears to be a reliable source, and he's confirmed that LW and BW aren't best friends.

I don't think that Goodman's article confirms everything else you wrote.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »
What we have to hope for is that there are no new transgressions. That is what Buzz, Larry and everyone else wants. The players keep their noses clean and Buzz does not dance on an opponents home floor everything will be fine.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »

Don't get your hopes up.  I really doubt the BOT or SP want LW replaced.

I agree; wishful thinking on my part.