'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz and Larry Williams Aren't Bosom Buddies...  (Read 42098 times)

Tigidal

• Starter
Buzz and Larry Williams Aren't Bosom Buddies...
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »
Nervous quote from Goodman's BE preview article...

"Buzz Williams has done a superb job at Marquette, but he and athletic director Larry Williams aren't exactly bosom buddies and there's no telling how long he'll remain in Milwaukee."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20581757/big-east-isnt-the-same-after-losses-impending-departures

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Buzz and Larry Williams Aren't Bosom Buddies...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
Not a shocker.  Larry's an elitist and Buzz is real people.  Oil & water.  Let's hope the on-court success this year combined with a great class next year and a commitment to his returning players keeps Buzz here.  Luckily for MU I think that might be enough.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »
Not a shocker.  Larry's an elitist and Buzz is real people. 

Haha, I love when people just make stuff up.

Larry's an elitist, why, because he went to ND?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
I know the second "he" is supposed to refer to Buzz, but I think it's a more apropos pronoun for LW.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
First time I've seen their relationship written about, nationally or locally. You know where "Goody" is getting his info from, as well.

I've come into this season fully expecting it to be Buzz's last here, and this doesn't do anything to convince me otherwise.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »
So we are starting this again right before the season and so all the recruits can read that.  Nice job

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
So we are starting this again right before the season and so all the recruits can read that.  Nice job

They've all read stuff before.  It's been brought up here endlessly.

I for one am simply going to enjoy this season and what happens, happens.  I can't worry about it.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »

Guess we better follow your suggestion and fill them up with drugs and sex to make them forget about it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
I thought this was going to tie into this

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »

Assume the recruits have asked Buzz this question point blank and he gave them a satisfying answer.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
If this season goes well, it's going to be tough for Buzz to leave MU with the squad he'll have heading into 2013-2014.  I think he'll be here until at least then and I think at the end of the day winning will make everyone happy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
Nervous quote from Goodman's BE preview article...

"Buzz Williams has done a superb job at Marquette, but he and athletic director Larry Williams aren't exactly bosom buddies and there's no telling how long he'll remain in Milwaukee."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20581757/big-east-isnt-the-same-after-losses-impending-departures

I'll be interested in what madtown, lab and other's of their ilk make of this. Will they view it as another total fiction from a (new) member of the tin foil gang or finally see what's been obvious to the hiroshimites for nearly a year? Maybe they know Buzz better than Goodman.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:28:13 PM by Lennys Tap »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »
I will say what I always say - Larry has a job to do, Buzz's program had some issues to fix - if they can't work it out, shame on BOTH of them...   and I also say, if Buzz it what he preaches, he understands the program needed some changes and should be a bigger man than turning tail and running...

and he didn't run to SMU, think the tinfoilers way overblow the situation...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
It is not Buzz and Larry relationship that is problem. I do agree with Lazer that hopefully a good season and great recruiting class makes for better relationship across the board. Very possibly wishful thinking, but it will make me look at glass being half full.

Madtown--Agreed some changes were needed and would think Buzz agrees with that. Problem is not making minor rule chances, it is overall philosphy on what MU is and what some want us to be.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
All we can do is have faith that Buzz will stay. We all have abandonment issues after Tan Tommy left.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »
"it is overall philosophy on what MU is and what some want us to be"

Looks like it hasn't affected the 2013 recruiting class? or will it?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
Wiill they view it as another total fiction from a (new) member of the tin foil gang or finally see what's been obvious to the hiroshimites for nearly a year? Maybe they know Buzz better than Goodman.

So now Hiroshima has been redefined to this open-ended forecast that Buzz will leave someday (unless the Mayan calendar is true and the world ends before the start of BE play).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
This is what happens when you work for people who didn't hire you in the first place.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
I for one am simply going to enjoy this season and what happens, happens.  I can't worry about it.

+1

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
This is what happens when you work for people who didn't hire you in the first place.

No, this is what happens when the Board of Trustees sees the University get roasted on the front page of the Chicago Tribune twice in one summer.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
It was a deserved roasting.  Changes were needed.  One of those changes does not have to be Buzz leaving.  I also think that the quality of recruits that he has coming into the program will outweigh whatever relationship issues he has with the AD.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
No, this is what happens when the Board of Trustees sees the University get roasted on the front page of the Chicago Tribune twice in one summer.

And why exactly was the University roasted in the Chicago Tribune?  Because of the mishandling of the situation by the University Administration.  Because the University Policy violated State Law.  If the University Administration handled it properly and legally, much of the basis of that article does not exist.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
Madtown
If Buzz leaves the recruiting class for next season might look entirely different. Kids are coming because of Buzz and his style of play. Few recruits are looking at the engineering school as deciding factor in picking a school to play ball at.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
Not good.

A lot of boss/subordinate relationships aren't perfect, so that's not uncommon.

However, the fact that it's leaked to a media source is concerning.

Hope it works out.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
My theory....Goodman doesn't know sh1t, and got his insight on Buzz and LW from the tin foil wearing Hiroshimaists while readin scoop.  ;D

feedback