collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wojo's dojo  (Read 8443 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Wojo's dojo
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
Not a bad choice of digs. He can pyramid to the newer and more prestigious hoods in the The Quon as WoJo earns his stripes. In the meantime, it's 20 minutes to campus and 30 minutes to the airport. His kids can practically walk to U School. I'm cool with it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
As long as you approve.

.. My wife is still trying to hunt down Travis' new abode.   Maybe he's following Novak to the Bay.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
Too bad he feels the need to consume resources like that (the American way, I guess)... but at least it is a more tasteful house then our previous coach's abode.  It is actually aesthetically pleasing and at least gives the appearance of quality with the brick work.  I just read where the Archbishops Mansion in Chicago would go for about 40M if put on the market.  I just find that to be embarrassing for the Church.  Excess. I'm a voice in the wilderness on this one... which reminds me where is Keefe?

Anyway, love the Wojo's Dojo reference.  Maybe that should be the student section name.  Mac references the Dojo term from time to time already.   

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Cue the Keefe Million Dollar House Outrage meme....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
which reminds me where is Keefe?

I traded e-mails with him and he indicated that he is going to be out of the country for a while, saving the world, only able to check in very occasionally, and generally tired of the tone of the board.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
I traded e-mails with him and he indicated that he is going to be out of the country for a while, saving the world, only able to check in very occasionally, and generally tired of the tone of the board.   

That's too bad. Tell him Bleauteux says hello and he should come back.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
Too bad he feels the need to consume resources like that (the American way, I guess)... but at least it is a more tasteful house then our previous coach's abode.  It is actually aesthetically pleasing and at least gives the appearance of quality with the brick work.  I just read where the Archbishops Mansion in Chicago would go for about 40M if put on the market.  I just find that to be embarrassing for the Church.  Excess. I'm a voice in the wilderness on this one... which reminds me where is Keefe?

Anyway, love the Wojo's Dojo reference.  Maybe that should be the student section name.  Mac references the Dojo term from time to time already.   

You're not alone.  I would love it if the wife would be willing to move into a nice, tidy condo. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »

Where did you see $40M?  I saw $14-15M recently.  Still a lot but largely due to the large piece of property that its been on for 125 years.  If they had recently built it, I could understand, but its a home with alot of history.  If someone purchased a home for a reasonable price and it appreciated into a multi-million dollar property as the neighborhood developed over the years, would they be wasteful?  The North Side didn't become a fancy place to be for another 30-40 years after the Archbishop's Residence was built...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
Where did you see $40M?  I saw $14-15M recently.  Still a lot but largely due to the large piece of property that its been on for 125 years.  If they had recently built it, I could understand, but its a home with alot of history.  If someone purchased a home for a reasonable price and it appreciated into a multi-million dollar property as the neighborhood developed over the years, would they be wasteful?  The North Side didn't become a fancy place to be for another 30-40 years after the Archbishop's Residence was built...

One could argue that it is wasteful for the Church to be sitting on such a valuable asset, where they could easily replace it with a less expensive alternative and use the money elsewhere.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

It was a blurb in Chicago Magazine, for what it is worth.  Includes the land around it, I guess.  Why was it ever okay for the church to own or build something like this?

Something about Mansion and Archbishop residence in the same sentence doesn't sit too well with me.  Ya, I know they host people and parties, etc, but it is excessive and unnecessary and goes against what the church should be about and what Jesus taught.  It looks bad, and makes one wonder when that basket comes around at church how many people could better use the money for their families than to feed a church who's leaders feel that it is okay to live in something that probably costs more to heat than most people make in a year.  But, I suppose it supports a staff to clean it and a gardener to take care of it as well as a maintenance person.  Let's not get into the environmental issues with it.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
Here we go with 21st Century PC criticizing 19th Century actions. Different time and what property wouldn't appreciate if you held on to it for 125 years? Well, maybe not in  Mequon but the Archbishop needs a formal place for functions , staff etc.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »

Was Keefe "Rocky Roaded"? 

Miss his insight and humor...but a vacation is good as well once in a while.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:52:27 PM »

Anyway, love the Wojo's Dojo reference.  Maybe that should be the student section name.  Mac references the Dojo term from time to time already.  

Once the "Wojo Dojo" term went out ...it was bound to catch on...lol.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=44955.msg656586#msg656586

BTW, ex- Brewer/Astro Carlos Lee sold his Houston Casa for $1.56 mil. on a $1.9 mil. ask. Houston always has  been a good market for a large house @ a reasonable price:

http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Former-Astro-Carlos-Lee-sells-Sugar-Land-home-5873000.php
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:07:18 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
BTW, ex- Brewer/Astro Carlos Lee sold his Houston Casa for $1.56 mil. on a $1.9 mil. ask. Houston always has  been a good market for a large house @ a reasonable price:

http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Former-Astro-Carlos-Lee-sells-Sugar-Land-home-5873000.php

I hope the first thing the buyer did was replace those hideous banisters.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
Was Keefe "Rocky Roaded"? 

No, not since his 2 week political ban a while ago.

generally tired of the tone of the board.   

Ha, apparently too "on topic" for him given his posting history.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
It was a blurb in Chicago Magazine, for what it is worth.  Includes the land around it, I guess.  Why was it ever okay for the church to own or build something like this?

Something about Mansion and Archbishop residence in the same sentence doesn't sit too well with me.  Ya, I know they host people and parties, etc, but it is excessive and unnecessary and goes against what the church should be about and what Jesus taught.  It looks bad, and makes one wonder when that basket comes around at church how many people could better use the money for their families than to feed a church who's leaders feel that it is okay to live in something that probably costs more to heat than most people make in a year.  But, I suppose it supports a staff to clean it and a gardener to take care of it as well as a maintenance person.  Let's not get into the environmental issues with it.

For what it's worth, the new archbishop is not planning to live in it.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/10/22/report-chicagos-new-archbishop-wont-live-in-cardinals-mansion/

And this source says it's $14 million, not $40 million
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:26 AM »

Has it recently changed or has the currently persistent tone simply taken its (cumulated) toll?  Personally, I haven't noticed a change in the tone of the board.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:40 AM »
No, not since his 2 week political ban a while ago.

Ha, apparently too "on topic" for him given his posting history.

I wouldn't be too worried about Keefe, warthog, et al.

Rocky, did you have any luck tracking down Legs?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
For what it's worth, the new archbishop is not planning to live in it.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/10/22/report-chicagos-new-archbishop-wont-live-in-cardinals-mansion/

And this source says it's $14 million, not $40 million

If it gets put on the market we will find out its value. Does 14 million doesn't value it's location and its potential as a trophy residence/manor estate with 1.7 acres?  Or, due to its zoning, for a developer who can build a 20-30 story tower overlooking the lake as condos?  I doubt 14 million is enough based upon lesser houses in less desirable parts of the city, without lake views, etc, getting more and listing for more (there is one now for around 18 million that doesn't compare to the Mansion).   

Heck, us scoopers could start a fund for 14 million, condo it out into 6 or 8 units and make some nice money at that location. 

I don't know it's value, but 14 million seems low even if that is quoted.  I read 40 million, but maybe that is way high unless there was a bidding war. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
If it gets put on the market we will find out its value. Does 14 million doesn't value it's location and its potential as a trophy residence/manor estate with 1.7 acres?  Or, due to its zoning, for a developer who can build a 20-30 story tower overlooking the lake as condos?  I doubt 14 million is enough based upon lesser houses in less desirable parts of the city, without lake views, etc, getting more and listing for more (there is one now for around 18 million that doesn't compare to the Mansion).   

Heck, us scoopers could start a fund for 14 million, condo it out into 6 or 8 units and make some nice money at that location. 

I don't know it's value, but 14 million seems low even if that is quoted.  I read 40 million, but maybe that is way high unless there was a bidding war. 

I hope you're not referring to the Lurie Mansion, cause that house is gorgeous.  It also had a sizeable side yard that was very private and secluded, despite being a full sized lot.  The Archbishop's mansion's value is largely derived from the size of its lot.  Even in the crazy big lots on "Millionaires Row" up on Burling in LP, there is nothing approaching that lot size.  If it were to become a private home, I would be surprised if some sort of privacy measures weren't put into place, as its VERY wide open right now.  Some sort of a tree line or fencing, perhaps.

And this may make me non-green or whatever, but I would really hope it stays a private, single family home.  Chicago, moreso than many cities I feel, did a brutal job of maintaining the stately and historical homes of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  Pretty much all of Prairie Row is gone, and the North Side is limited.  Turning it to apartments is the first step in an eventual razing to make room for another condo tower.  This isn't like an English country home that costs millions to maintain a year.  Its a big home, but no bigger than alot of suburban spreads.

Maybe the church could turn it to a museum, like other stately homes have become.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
It is a house in the Lincoln park area that I walked past (Burling Street?/must be the street you are referencing) that has a house that is up for around 18 million.  It is newer and well done, but nothing compared to the Mansion. It sits on maybe 4 to 6 city lots, is my guess.   It is tight on the lot and more of a city street scape and surrounding.  

And yes, that 1.7 acres in that location makes it a trophy type of mansion that someone MAY overpay for in a big way.  I could see a bidding war that has nothing to do with it's perceived value (i.e. the recent purchase of the Clippers).   It could be more of a family compound in the city at an incredible location.  Room to put in a pool area, big garage, servants and guess house, etc.

I don't think the Mansion is on a historic list, so it could be torn down for a high-rise condo development, I believe.  That maybe the best use of that land or condo it out, etc.  Not making a value judgment about what is best, just that financially, if there isn't a bidding war or someone who wants to overpay then doing a high-rise condo is probably the best use.

But, my original point and entry into this conversation had more to do with what I see as an issue with these (in my view) excessive residences. But I have my own faults, I know.  A simple modern house, may not be cheaper to build than these hugh houses, but it can be much more environmentally friendly, use and consume less resources, and isn't just space for the sake of having space.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Am I the only one that finds this thread super creepy? Scoping out the house where this guy's wife and kids are moving into... Counting his cash? Yeesh, I'm not sure anyone here would appreciate that kind of scrutiny.

The Buzz house stuff is kind of weird but at leas they've moved out.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
Am I the only one that finds this thread super creepy? Scoping out the house where this guy's wife and kids are moving into... Counting his cash? Yeesh, I'm not sure anyone here would appreciate that kind of scrutiny.

They are local celebrities. I'm not particularly interested but I don't find it weird at all. In Chicago, the Tribune regularly publishes articles when local celebrities or athletes buy or sell a house, with lots of pictures.

It comes with the territory.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »

It's all public record anyhow. Anyone with an Internet connection can find this stuff in 30 seconds or less.