'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best case scenarios  (Read 7609 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Best case scenarios
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2024, 08:28:08 AM »
Man, everyone has forgotten about sean.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2024, 08:35:36 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2024, 08:36:28 AM »
I want Sean to heal.   Anything he gives this coming season is gravy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2024, 08:58:32 AM »
Sean just needs to come into form in time for the BET.

When you look at the turmoil and turnover in the other BEAST teams, it's hard to see how any of them will be better than MU.  Of course, some of the new free agents will gel with their teams and perform well, and other coaches will somehow create a whole that's greater than the sum of the parts.  I don't think any other team in the BEAST (the country???) has 8 guys returning and MU has 8 guys who got serious game minutes returning. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mug644

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2024, 09:19:07 AM »
It also makes the recruiting needs clear.   Need two guards and a forward in the 25 recruiting class.

It seems to make the "known" recruiting needs clear. NIL and the transfer portal bring loads of uncertainty to a roster each and every year. Except for Shaka's MU teams, so far.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2024, 09:19:27 AM »
IMO, Jop is the key for next year. He needs to take big strides on being more consistent as a scorer and take advantage of being the go to guy. All other items noted by Tower are important, but none bigger than Joplin.

In a lot of ways Joplin is the poster child of Shaka’s philosophy on retaining players. A lot of expectations were thrown his way early on in his career and we will see if he is up to the task.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2024, 09:20:09 AM »
Kam:  15% better ball handler and creator for others.
Stevie:  improved ballhandling, hits open 3s.
Joplin:  quicker release on jumper, more consistent.
Ben:  Henry, Joey, and Sam's skillset in a blender, with Oso's heart
Chase:  Health and steady progress.
Amadou:  6'9 230 lb Barro
Hamilton: Theo
Tre:   Mayo's skill, Junior's brain and court vision
Zaide:  more Kalkbrenner blocking.   Steady improvement
Owens:  Claude's athleticism and Scheierman's 35% 3 pt shooting.
Parham:  Ben Gold path, with less length and more bulk.
Sean:  healing

80% of the best case is a return to the sweet 16. (Match ups not withstanding)  90% is elite 8.   100% is the final four.   

If everything falls into place, all the pieces are such that next season could be even better.   Yes, nearly everything has to go right. (cockeyed optimist that I am)   It will be nice to see the full court pressure again.   And I don't think Hamilton and Amadou can currently play at the same time in Nevada's offense.
Would be delighted to see this Best Case Scenario play out
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2024, 10:19:12 AM »
IMO, Jop is the key for next year. He needs to take big strides on being more consistent as a scorer and take advantage of being the go to guy. All other items noted by Tower are important, but none bigger than Joplin.

In a lot of ways Joplin is the poster child of Shaka’s philosophy on retaining players. A lot of expectations were thrown his way early on in his career and we will see if he is up to the task.

"More consistent" is a very good way to word it Goose. No one is good 100% of the time, but Jop has been the guy who made me nervous most vs. high level opponents. Shaka has shown enough faith in Jop to give him a chance to prove himself. I think "key for next year" says a lot, but I also think if Jop is not up to the task, we have other guys to help out.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2024, 10:28:23 AM »

I like Joplin as a 3rd or fourth option.  I hope he takes another leap as you are saying but he doesn’t seem to have the athleticism or basketball IQ to be the number 1 or 2 option on a really good team.

I’m hoping that Ben is the number two and plays like Mamu did at Seton Hall when their star guards left.  That would put Joplin down to the 3rd option. And if Chase explodes down to the fourth option.

I just think the ball in his hands too much stalls the offense.  Catch and shoot from three with the occasional “drive” to the basket for a layup or well timed 5-8 footer is still the appropriate role for him. 

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2024, 11:02:08 AM »
*Joplin -- Become more like a Klay Thompson-like player and rarely put the ball on the floor.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2024, 11:35:22 AM »
Now that these guys get paid, they can also get fined.  I'd give Jop 100 dribbles for the season.  If he exceeds that, or 10 per game, he loses $1000 of his NIL money per dribble.
If this was in place last year, it would have either prevented many drives to nowhere, or he'd have been one of the university's largest donors.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2024, 12:44:45 PM »
I used to yell “Dammit Buycks!”  at the TV whenever he did something stupid.

Jop has those type of games a bit too often….but not as often as Buycks.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2024, 04:44:57 PM »
Jop made big improvements over the course of last year and I expect more improvement from him next year.  He got into better shape.  He got better defensively.  He figured out how to start scoring in the paint with his fadeaway mini jump shot and I think he improved more athletically.  That slam over Kalk was not happening the two years prior.  He needs to continue to improve in all of those areas and take care of the ball better on his drives.  I think it will happen.  Kam is the go to.  Jop will be the number 2. 

Need Tre to step up.  Most important player development over the summer.   

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2024, 05:15:57 PM »
Kam:  15% better ball handler and creator for others.
Stevie:  improved ballhandling, hits open 3s.
Joplin:  quicker release on jumper, more consistent.
Ben:  Henry, Joey, and Sam's skillset in a blender, with Oso's heart
Chase:  Health and steady progress.
Amadou:  6'9 230 lb Barro
Hamilton: Theo
Tre:   Mayo's skill, Junior's brain and court vision
Zaide:  more Kalkbrenner blocking.   Steady improvement
Owens:  Claude's athleticism and Scheierman's 35% 3 pt shooting.
Parham:  Ben Gold path, with less length and more bulk.
Sean:  healing

80% of the best case is a return to the sweet 16. (Match ups not withstanding)  90% is elite 8.   100% is the final four.   

If everything falls into place, all the pieces are such that next season could be even better.   Yes, nearly everything has to go right. (cockeyed optimist that I am)   It will be nice to see the full court pressure again.   And I don't think Hamilton and Amadou can currently play at the same time in Nevada's offense.

COLE. Sad.   ;D

Nice. I think Hamilton will be a bit better on offense than Theo.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2024, 06:00:20 PM »

I think he will continue to improve and will be a solid contributor next season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2024, 06:05:44 PM »
COLE. Sad.   ;D

Nice. I think Hamilton will be a bit better on offense than Theo.
Funny.  Hopefully, you are correct. His numbers are less important than his presence.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2024, 11:57:54 AM »
The prognosis for next season is very uncertain. A starting 5 of Gold, Joplin, Ross, K. Jones, and Mitchell is certainly solid. But, which of those guys, other than Kam and maybe Chase, is likely to play major minutes on a top-10 team? And, behind that 5 is a lot of unknown, limited experience, no experience, and 2 freshmen. The best case scenario is that the two freshmen can actually contribute in a meaningful way, that Hamilton is actually a player who can provide good minutes at the post, and that Lowery and Norman make a big step forward. Otherwise, it may be a bit of a let-down season.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2024, 12:24:16 PM »
The prognosis for next season is very uncertain. A starting 5 of Gold, Joplin, Ross, K. Jones, and Mitchell is certainly solid. But, which of those guys, other than Kam and maybe Chase, is likely to play major minutes on a top-10 team? And, behind that 5 is a lot of unknown, limited experience, no experience, and 2 freshmen. The best case scenario is that the two freshmen can actually contribute in a meaningful way, that Hamilton is actually a player who can provide good minutes at the post, and that Lowery and Norman make a big step forward. Otherwise, it may be a bit of a let-down season.

They ALL have played major minutes on a top-10 team already.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2024, 12:28:49 PM »

The COLE on this thread is amazing.  👀

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2024, 12:35:34 PM »

That was my first reaction too. I don't what he defines as "major minutes" but surely Kam, Stevie, and Joplin already qualify.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
And, assuming recent predictions hold and all return and stay healthy, all will be getting major minutes on a top 15 team.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2024, 10:29:37 PM »

Very similar to two years ago.  Hopefully the same result. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2024, 11:46:02 PM »
Best case scenario is a national title.

Next question.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2024, 05:32:36 AM »
Very similar to two years ago.  Hopefully the same result.
No one will be picking MU 9th in the Big East.   Some will be picking MU 9th in the country. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2024, 06:13:27 AM »
Sean just needs to come into form in time for the BET.

When you look at the turmoil and turnover in the other BEAST teams, it's hard to see how any of them will be better than MU.  Of course, some of the new free agents will gel with their teams and perform well, and other coaches will somehow create a whole that's greater than the sum of the parts.  I don't think any other team in the BEAST (the country???) has 8 guys returning and MU has 8 guys who got serious game minutes returning.

I think UCONN will still be more than competitive.