[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Masks at Fiserv Forum  (Read 27060 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Masks at Fiserv Forum
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2021, 08:59:29 PM »
From data through this December, 1.37% of fully vaccinated people (2 or 3 shots per their definition) had a breakthrough case.  Yet, you know 12 of them? Are you the superspreader?

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/breakthrough-covid-19-infections-deaths-rose-delta-outpaced/story?id=81822930

How dare he share a personal anecdote. Off the top of my head, I can think of eight people in my life in the past week with a breakthrough case.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »
He doesn't have to, there are dozens of studies that prove it.

Being a medical professional certainly doesn't exempt your wife from being a bonehead along with the dental dudes around here.
name calling behind a keyboard? Ok.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2021, 09:01:26 PM »
How dare he share a personal anecdote. Off the top of my head, I can think of eight people in my life in the past week with a breakthrough case.

Too many people here treat anecdotes like some sort of trump card.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2021, 09:10:01 PM »
Too many people here treat anecdotes like some sort of trump card.

I’ll just post some article I find that blindly supports my previous opinion next time then and refuse to acknowledge any point that refutes it because “how could it possibly be wrong”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2021, 09:13:29 PM »

Yep.

Lots of people ask for studies that show wearing a mask makes a difference. You provide one and ask for any peer-reviewed studies that contradict it and...crickets....

Shocking.
arrogance from Fluffy’s basement…shocking. Articles released from the University of Arizona School of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, McGill Univ. (Canada), Mayo-Rochester all point to mask wearing as marginal in success of preventing covid transmission. You want to wear a mask? Follow Dr Science, er, Fauci and wear a mask. No one is stopping you. I said I’m anti-mandate. I don’t/won’t wear a mask except when flying, as…mandated.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2021, 09:43:43 PM »
arrogance from Fluffy’s basement…shocking. Articles released from the University of Arizona School of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, McGill Univ. (Canada), Mayo-Rochester all point to mask wearing as marginal in success of preventing covid transmission. You want to wear a mask? Follow Dr Science, er, Fauci and wear a mask. No one is stopping you. I said I’m anti-mandate. I don’t/won’t wear a mask except when flying, as…mandated.

Does this mean we won't be seeing Dr. Viper's extensive research on the efficacy of masking?

• All American
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2021, 07:10:15 AM »
Look, the fact is we really don't know for certainty about this stuff right now and how it relates to omicron.  Being cautious for a short period of time isn't the worst thing to do.  Looks like this wave ramps up quick, then goes away quick.  So hopefully this won't be long.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2021, 07:17:08 AM »
I think there's a pretty obvious distinction between:

Do masks work?

and

Do mask mandates work as a public health initiative?

Masks, especially N95s and even KN95s work to mitigate transmission and to mitigate risk of infection. This isn't revelatory stuff and has been pretty settled from the jump. People who dispute this do so mostly in bad faith because they are dishonest (or have been hoodwinked).

BUT.

Mask mandates? They kinda sorta don't work. Mostly because we've demonstrated as a society that we have no interest whatsoever in doing what's necessary to make them work. People wear low quality masks (maybe because they don't have access to better ones, perhaps they should!), and they wear them incorrectly (nose out or pulled down under the chin to talk, or because someone is committed to eating popcorn slowly so as to never have to actually wear one, etc.). So many people do this that the efficacy of the masking *policy* probably does not work because is undermined to the point that people can point to it and go "it's security theater! Just like the TSA exists to create the illusion of security, mask mandates exist to create the illusion of taking action."

Both of these things can be true at the same time.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2021, 07:50:34 AM »
I am a physician and been taking care of COVID patients for 2 years at local hospitals.

BOTTOM LINE:
Vaccines / boosters do nothing at this point to stop infection or spread. 
Masks are meaningless in my opinion

Vaccines / boosters do SO MUCH to prevent serious disease / hospitalization / death in HIGH-RISK people (OBESE # 1 risk in my experience, but others as well).  This is the KEY.   Rest of the people just need to get it and recover.

In my opinion, if leaders would just say this and admit their misinformation - so many more would get the vaccine voluntarily.  Instead of just saying you will never get it or spread it, if you get all the vaccines. 

• All American
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2021, 07:57:11 AM »
In my opinion, if leaders would just say this and admit their misinformation - so many more would get the vaccine voluntarily.  Instead of just saying you will never get it or spread it, if you get all the vaccines. 

Who has said "you will never get it or spread it" if vaccinated?  I don't recall anyone saying vaccinations are 100% effective.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »

Who has said "you will never get it or spread it" if vaccinated?  I don't recall anyone saying vaccinations are 100% effective.

One of many examples you can find.  Both from medial and government.  Even Aurora CEO said this when mandating the vaccine, where now so many Aurora staff who were mandated to be fully vaccinated, are now out of work and dealing with serious staffing shortages.

https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1475193955704881152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1475406298812497926%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fmedia%2Fsocial-media-users-demand-apology-msnbc-rachel-maddow-vaccines

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
If media / government just say the vaccine is a great tool to prevent serious disease and death, and thats really it, everything would be so much better, because that is what it is.

A great tool for that, in addition to promoting treatments that we can actually give people, instead of just saying "go home and come back if you can't breath", which is what I have been doing for way to long.

• All American
« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »
One of many examples you can find.  Both from medial and government.  Even Aurora CEO said this when mandating the vaccine, where now so many Aurora staff who were mandated to be fully vaccinated, are now out of work and dealing with serious staffing shortages.

https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1475193955704881152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1475406298812497926%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fmedia%2Fsocial-media-users-demand-apology-msnbc-rachel-maddow-vaccines

Oh.  What you said "leaders" I thought you meant people with actual authority - like people who knew something about public heath, medicine and the like.  Not talking heads who have different motivations.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #213 on: December 31, 2021, 08:12:04 AM »

Oh.  What you said "leaders" I thought you meant people with actual authority - like people who knew something about public heath, medicine and the like.  Not talking heads who have different motivations.

Also, Joe Biden and his press secretary both saying it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1471600971755274245?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1471600971755274245%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fdougp-3137%2F2021%2F12%2F20%2Fjen-psaki-says-biden-will-soon-clarify-something-about-covid-19-caution-one-eighty-in-progress%2F

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2021, 08:14:12 AM »

Total a$$hole mentality right here. Putting others at risk because you’re too tough to wear a mask and put aside your bone head opinions. I hate wearing pants but I have to. Damn shame but this is a society. Also viper…….LOL

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »
Total a$$hole mentality right here. Putting others at risk because you’re too tough to wear a mask and put aside your bone head opinions. I hate wearing pants but I have to. Damn shame but this is a society. Also viper…….LOL

There is no "putting others at risk".  This is just not true.  Its impossible to avoid the virus in my opinion, after treating covid patients in the ER for 2 years.  Either you get the vaccine and very likely will prevent serious disease in yourself when you do get it, or you are infected and have mild symptoms.  Its no more simple than that.   

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2021, 08:21:12 AM »
There is no "putting others at risk".  This is just not true.  Its impossible to avoid the virus in my opinion, after treating covid patients in the ER for 2 years.  Either you get the vaccine and very likely will prevent serious disease in yourself when you do get it, or you are infected and have mild symptoms.  Its no more simple than that.

I’ll just leave this here that contradicts your boy vipers, LOL, comment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2021, 08:28:40 AM »
I’ll just leave this here that contradicts your boy vipers, LOL, comment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

What is the point you are trying to make with the article?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »
Who knew Scoop was inhabited by so many doctors, especially those whose "expert" opinions contradict the great majority of their peers and the medical research.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2021, 08:31:07 AM »
Haha. geeagle ”is a doctor.” No one really talks like that medicine, and the point is plainly untrue to boot. This thread is perfect.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2021, 08:37:39 AM »
Haha. geeagle ”is a doctor.” No one really talks like that medicine, and the point is plainly untrue to boot. This thread is perfect.

I am a board certified emergency physician for 8 years.  I do see the realities of this virus first hand.  Which point is plainly untrue?    Its so clear that I am admitting very sick unvaccinated high-risk people to the hospital recently, and unvaccinated healthy people and vaccinated high risk people are not admitted and recover at home.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2021, 08:49:00 AM »
I am a board certified emergency physician for 8 years.  I do see the realities of this virus first hand.  Which point is plainly untrue?    Its so clear that I am admitting very sick unvaccinated high-risk people to the hospital recently, and unvaccinated healthy people and vaccinated high risk people are not admitted and recover at home.

I'll play along ...

How does treating people in an ER setting make you an expert on the efficacy of masking? So much so, in fact, that your more credible than the volumes of peer-reviewed, published studies that contradict your opinion?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2021, 09:05:31 AM »
I like Kur’s contributions this season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2021, 09:06:00 AM »
I am a physician and been taking care of COVID patients for 2 years at local hospitals.

BOTTOM LINE:
Vaccines / boosters do nothing at this point to stop infection or spread. 
Masks are meaningless in my opinion

Vaccines / boosters do SO MUCH to prevent serious disease / hospitalization / death in HIGH-RISK people (OBESE # 1 risk in my experience, but others as well).  This is the KEY.   Rest of the people just need to get it and recover.

The voice of reason. However, too much money is involved, to have true transparency during this clusterfook, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »

Btw, are you able to collaborate my information that there are nurses and staff, who have tested positive for covid, are known to their superiors, and are working in hospitals due to staff shortages?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"