* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SI research report on Big East Pre Season Rankings 2019-20  (Read 14132 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
SI research report on Big East Pre Season Rankings 2019-20
« on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Sports Illustrated prepared the following pre season rankings of the Big East.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/07/09/big-east-power-rankings-villanova-seton-hall-georgetown
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: SI research report on Big East Pre Season Rankings 2019-20
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
They could have done at least a few extra minutes to research on MU besides looking at a stat sheet...   :o

I see why this was not an excellent research report.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
wow!  dan didn't burn many calories getting that report together.  looks like something he could have thrown together while pushing out his sunday morning growler
don't...don't don't don't don't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:44:47 PM »
Very weak assessment based on anecdotal information and high-level facts.

That said, if we're the sixth best team in a weak conference, then Wojo's seat will be at 1000 degrees Kelvin in late February.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 11:55:52 PM »
Very weak assessment based on anecdotal information and high-level facts.

That said, if we're the sixth best team in a weak conference, then Wojo's seat will be at 1000 degrees Kelvin in late February.

It's never been a weak conference and certainly will not be weak this season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »

Brother Eagle, weak is defined by Big East standards -- according to the article there is not a national championship contender here. The SI assessment suggests we're not as strong as some of our peers.

Regardless of whether our conference is strong, if we're sixth best with a senior laden team, then I stand by my comment that Wojo's seat will make even Satan complain about the heat. As things should be.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 07:20:34 AM »
6th best team in the big east this year likely makes the tournament with some room to spare. So no,  the seat would not be that hot.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 08:37:10 AM »
6th best team in the big east this year likely makes the tournament with some room to spare. So no,  the seat would not be that hot.

History suggests that the 6th place BE team will be 9-9 and have about a 50/50 chance of making the NCAAs. That feels like a crapshoot to me.

Orlando makes or breaks MU under that scenario. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 08:54:41 AM »
History suggests that the 6th place BE team will be 9-9 and have about a 50/50 chance of making the NCAAs. That feels like a crapshoot to me.

Orlando makes or breaks MU under that scenario.

This will be one of if not the strongest and deepest Big Easts since realignment. I think 9-9 will go a lot further this season than it has in the past. I see six top 35 teams in the Big East with two more with legitimate tournament aspirations. Plus two cellar dwellers in DePaul and St. John's that will give out a lot of wins to the top 8 teams. Villanova isn't the national title favorite like they were in the past but I think they are still top 10. Marquette, Seton Hall, and Xavier all have cases for top 25.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »
This will be one of if not the strongest and deepest Big Easts since realignment. I think 9-9 will go a lot further this season than it has in the past. I see six top 35 teams in the Big East with two more with legitimate tournament aspirations. Plus two cellar dwellers in DePaul and St. John's that will give out a lot of wins to the top 8 teams. Villanova isn't the national title favorite like they were in the past but I think they are still top 10. Marquette, Seton Hall, and Xavier all have cases for top 25.

All this puts a lot of pressure on Orlando. That is the most balanced Holiday tournament MU has participated in that I recall (especially with a crap home OOC).  No 8-10 NBE team has ever made the NCAAs.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 09:23:14 AM »

Uhhhh...? Last year was pretty weak.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »
Last year the Big East was fifth in conference RPI at the end of the year.  That was the lowest since the C7 breakaway.  It has finished as high as second or as low as fourth.  And while they got four teams into the tournament, the only one to win a game got throttled in the second round.

So while in the grand scheme of things, the Big East isn't a weak conference, historically it was weak last year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »

Uhhhh...? Last year was pretty weak.

It's all relative.  If BE is ranked 5th best conference according to the analytics sites... are they weak compared to the usual BE level, other P6 conferences, or just in general?   I doubt MWV would call themselves weak at 5th... but the ACC surely wouldn't be happy at that level.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
SI's assessment is meaningless. The only opinion that counts is your own. If we were to finish 6th or at any level and you think that is a great accomplishment you will be a happy camper. Otherwise, you will be frustrated and look for a coaching change that will not happen given our administration.

For me this team will need to demonstrate, in games against significant opponents, they have a well rounded team. If it is a one man show with a supporting cast it will not be enjoyable.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
I'm expecting this team to finish higher than sixth.  It would be a disappointing season to be .500 even though that may comfortably get MU into the tournament.  Regardless of the Hauser's situation, this is the year MU has been building toward.  They have a All-American, NPOY candidate returning, an impact transfer (two if you count Jayce), solid senior players in Morrow and Sacar, and good young talent.

I'm not expecting a national championship.  I'm really not even expecting a BE championship.  But a 4-seed, second weekend appearance has got to be where this team ends up at least.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
SI's assessment is meaningless. The only opinion that counts is your own. If we were to finish 6th or at any level and you think that is a great accomplishment you will be a happy camper. Otherwise, you will be frustrated and look for a coaching change that will not happen given our administration.

For me this team will need to demonstrate, in games against significant opponents, they have a well rounded team. If it is a one man show with a supporting cast it will not be enjoyable.

Even without the Hausers, this team is very old, 3 fifth year seniors, 4 older by age players as well in McEven, Howard, Cain, and Bailey.  Add Theo and Elliott.  Thats 9 players with tremendous experience, should be better than 6th if Wojo can coach Howard to be more of a facillator or
one of the other guards steps up and can play turnover free point guard.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
I'm expecting this team to finish higher than sixth.  It would be a disappointing season to be .500 even though that may comfortably get MU into the tournament.  Regardless of the Hauser's situation, this is the year MU has been building toward.  They have a All-American, NPOY candidate returning, an impact transfer (two if you count Jayce), solid senior players in Morrow and Sacar, and good young talent.

I'm not expecting a national championship.  I'm really not even expecting a BE championship.  But a 4-seed, second weekend appearance has got to be where this team ends up at least.

Thinking alike, agree totally

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »

I agree on expectations. I personally see a second place finish and a 5 seed as a realistic expectation. Below that and I'll be disappointed. But there is difference between personal disappointment and coach ending up on the hot seat.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 10:42:19 AM »
I agree on expectations. I personally see a second place finish and a 5 seed as a realistic expectation. Below that and I'll be disappointed. But there is difference between personal disappointment and coach ending up on the hot seat.

Unless the top team is winning 16+ games and 2nd through 7th all win 8-11 games, I think 2nd place in this year's Big East will be in the 2-3 seed range.

(No longer directed at you) My favorite comment on Scoop is that "this administration" won't be making a change.  What does that even mean?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Class71

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Unless the top team is winning 16+ games and 2nd through 7th all win 8-11 games, I think 2nd place in this year's Big East will be in the 2-3 seed range.

(No longer directed at you) My favorite comment on Scoop is that "this administration" won't be making a change.  What does that even mean?

Means no Hot Seat for Wojo. That is he will not be fired. He is well liked. He is the kind of coach MU wants. Results are secondary. Win or loose he will  continue as head coach. Time to move on.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
DePaul has the potential to be a dangerous team by the second half  of the conference season. Likewise The Johnnies.

DePaul had good momentum at the end of the season last year . I think they can maintain it with a little bit of time to transition to the new group of talent.

DePaul has some quality newcomers coming in to replace the production that was graduated. It will take a while for everyone to jell, but the potential is there. Carte' Are Gordon, Charlie Moore, Darious Hall are all  interesting transfers. Romeo Weems and Markese Jacobs (should be healthy by end of season) are high quality freshman. Paul Reed was named the most Improved Player in the Big East and was very formidable last year , will likely be an All Big East type player this year .  Gage and Butz are serviceable Big East types.

Heron and Figueroa are both back for the Johnnies and there are a slew of transfers  coming in. Mike Anderson is a quality coach who will milk as much as he can from the group he has. Similar to DePaul it will take a while to get everyone working together in a cohesive way.

Hopefully, both The Johnnies and DePaul have moderate OCC schedules and can build their NET ranking early before the conference season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »

Good point, though I think that's exactly what could happen. I see Nova as a 2 seed, but then I see Marquette, Seton Hall, Xavier, and Creighton all in the 4-7 seed range with Providence right behind in the 8-10 seed range. 1 very good team, lots of really good teams, a couple good teams, and two bad teams.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
Means no Hot Seat for Wojo. That is he will not be fired. He is well liked. He is the kind of coach MU wants. Results are secondary. Win or loose he will  continue as head coach. Time to move on.

Simply not true.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
DePaul has the potential to be a dangerous team by the second half  of the conference season. Likewise The Johnnies.

DePaul had good momentum at the end of the season last year . I think they can maintain it with a little bit of time to transition to the new group of talent.

DePaul has some quality newcomers coming in to replace the production that was graduated. It will take a while for everyone to jell, but the potential is there. Carte' Are Gordon, Charlie Moore, Darious Hall are all  interesting transfers. Romeo Weems and Markese Jacobs (should be healthy by end of season) are high quality freshman. Paul Reed was named the most Improved Player in the Big East and was very formidable last year , will likely be an All Big East type player this year .  Gage and Butz are serviceable Big East types.

DePaul has a good young class that could be good in a few years. Maybe they upset a team or two this season but they are still going to be nowhere near the tournament (or NIT).

Heron and Figueroa are both back for the Johnnies and there are a slew of transfers  coming in. Mike Anderson is a quality coach who will milk as much as he can from the group he has. Similar to DePaul it will take a while to get everyone working together in a cohesive way.

Hopefully, both The Johnnies and DePaul have moderate OCC schedules and can build their NET ranking early before the conference season.

Heron and Figueroa were the 3rd and 4th best players on a team that finished 88th in KenPom. The slew of transfers include a guy from Houston Baptist (333rd in Kenpom that year), a juco who only managed 4.1 points a game for Jacksonville (320th in Kenpom that year) as a freshman, a guy who averaged 5 points a game for Monmouth (295th in Kempom) this year, a guy who averaged 3 points a game for Mississippi State, and a former 3 star who appeared in 1 game for NC State (who I don't think is eligible for the first semester).

I have no doubt that Anderson will have them in fighting shape in a few years. But they will be very bad this season.
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »

+1