[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: U-Conn't always get what you want  (Read 17311 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: U-Conn't always get what you want
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2021, 06:23:55 AM »
Less politics. More basketball.

I fully support the right of our basketball players to protest. Regardless of how any of us personally feel on an issue, they have the right to air their opinion, make their cause known peacefully and try to facilitate change.

What I disagree with is using a university basketball game as a forum to protest. The job the team had last night was to play basketball. And when you're up by 20 and lose, somehow your head isn't in what you're doing. The players may have made their point about Kenosha County last night but in the process they failed to do their job. Over time, that has the effect of diluting the forum as people expect to see a full effort focused on winning.

A good part of this issue is coaching leadership. Coaching is about preparation and orientation -- preparing your players to play and orienting them to the task at hand. The preparation and orientation last night was to win a very winnable basketball game. They didn't. That's on Coach Wojo

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2021, 06:28:44 AM »
Now watt Komrades, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »
Less politics. More basketball.

I fully support the right of our basketball players to protest. Regardless of how any of us personally feel on an issue, they have the right to air their opinion, make their cause known peacefully and try to facilitate change.

What I disagree with is using a university basketball game as a forum to protest. The job the team had last night was to play basketball. And when you're up by 20 and lose, somehow your head isn't in what you're doing. The players may have made their point about Kenosha County last night but in the process they failed to do their job. Over time, that has the effect of diluting the forum as people expect to see a full effort focused on winning.

A good part of this issue is coaching leadership. Coaching is about preparation and orientation -- preparing your players to play and orienting them to the task at hand. The preparation and orientation last night was to win a very winnable basketball game. They didn't. That's on Coach Wojo

In other words, I support the players protesting as long as it is how I would like them to protest.

Being a full time athlete on top of needing to stay eligible to be an athlete, all for $0.00 in your bank account. I expect every ounce of what you do to be about satisfying my need as a fan for wins on a basketball court, no matter what’s going on outside of the arena.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:41:21 AM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 06:53:32 AM »
“I know the guys are drained”

-wojo

Yes, they had no legs.  Can't do in game corrections for that problem.  The Packers use half time drugs, but this is college basketball, not allowed, ha.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2021, 06:59:15 AM »
9 pts in the last 13:55 of play.

No amount of excuses can get around that.

There is a difference between an excuse and a reason.
The reason will be corrected.
Remember when they could not handle the press or inbound situation?
Now it's the double team down low, the corner shooters, and tired legs.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2021, 07:03:43 AM »
I’ve been Projo for a long time. Like his character and the way he runs a clean program. And he represents the university well. But I’ve been on the fence this season. MU’s inability to stop UConn’s run tonight is pushing me more towards Nojo. The Nojo points on Wojo’s lack of in-game counter moves are true. And this team’s intensity tonight was no where near UConn’s.
No in-game move for tired legs.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2021, 07:05:30 AM »
In other words, I support the players protesting as long as it is how I would like them to protest.

Being a full time athlete on top of needing to stay eligible to be an athlete, all for $0.00 in your bank account. I expect every ounce of what you do to be about satisfying my need as a fan for wins on a basketball court, no matter what’s going on outside of the arena.

Wrong.

What I expect is that when you have a job to do, you do it. If you want to protest, do it off the court. Do it on your own time, like the rest of us.

I long have argued that the players are paid -- about $50,000 a year, all-in based on the current list price of a Marquette education and the ancillary costs associated with attending Marquette. If you think that payment is too low, either lobby Congress to break the NCAA cartel or find an alternative, like the D league. In return for this barter transaction, a player is expected to be prepared and focused to play basketball.

If I come to work shortly and say I can't do my job today because I'm upset about Kenosha or if I use my company's name and forum to advocate a cause that diminishes our ability to attract customers and execute on our mission, how long do you think I would last in my position? Same for you, Brother BLM.

Again, I blame this on Coach Wojo. It's his job to have the players prepared and focused. Obviously, they weren't last night.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »
I kept thinking about bench moves to change the dynamic and there really weren't any.    Lewis was ineffective.    Symir had just had a bad turnover and a dumb shot.    What do do?    Dexter?   Osa?      Had to roll with the starters.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2021, 08:03:54 AM »
Agree with basically everything in your post Rocky - Jacob Blake didn’t deserve to be shot 7 times that day. But the OP said the players were wearing black to “honor Jacob Blake”. Maybe he (or the players) misspoke. But if not, I don’t see a whole lot honorable about Jacob Blake.

You know what?  You are right and that's my bad.  They didn't wear black to "honor Jacob Blake."  They wore black "in support of Jacob Blake, his family and the Kenosha community."

Subtle difference but it is a difference.  Thanks for pointing that out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2021, 08:16:57 AM »
Very discouraging loss and a bad one to have to live with for 7 days. I'm sure the team isn't happy about that 7 day wait.

It was frustrating to not see any response to the high trapping. DJ not proving to be as effective as his reputation coming in. I don't think our team is as talented as some posters here aver. Polley coming off their bench appears better than anyone we have coming off our bench.

Jamal with several good moves to the basket today but the shots were just not dropping. More of that please.

UConn really pushed us around on the boards. Thought we would be stronger there. Justin hitting the wall early but good to see Dawson have a nice game.

Sad that this happened with their best player limited due to injury.

And please take your Jacob Blake comments to the appropriate thread.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2021, 08:27:01 AM »
Wrong.

What I expect is that when you have a job to do, you do it. If you want to protest, do it off the court. Do it on your own time, like the rest of us.

I long have argued that the players are paid -- about $50,000 a year, all-in based on the current list price of a Marquette education and the ancillary costs associated with attending Marquette. If you think that payment is too low, either lobby Congress to break the NCAA cartel or find an alternative, like the D league. In return for this barter transaction, a player is expected to be prepared and focused to play basketball.

If I come to work shortly and say I can't do my job today because I'm upset about Kenosha or if I use my company's name and forum to advocate a cause that diminishes our ability to attract customers and execute on our mission, how long do you think I would last in my position? Same for you, Brother BLM.

Again, I blame this on Coach Wojo. It's his job to have the players prepared and focused. Obviously, they weren't last night.

The players are not making any money.  So let's expect "amateur" athletes to be entirely focused on the game at hand no matter what's going on in life, but let's not compensate them for their play.

Not to mention, was Marquette focused when building an 18 point lead and then suddenly became distracted by their pregame protest 23 minutes into the game?  Sorry, but I'm just not buying that their protesting took their focus off the game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »
If you guys havn't noticed, it's the Big East and most of the schools are private and have religious affiliation.  I think all or at least most wear BLM patches on their uniforms.  If you don't like it root in another league.  I'm sure the SWC, or the SEC, or the ACC dont have BLM patches.

panda

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
If you guys havn't noticed, it's the Big East and most of the schools are private and have religious affiliation.  I think all or at least most wear BLM patches on their uniforms.  If you don't like it root in another league.  I'm sure the SWC, or the SEC, or the ACC dont have BLM patches.

I know for a fact the SWC doesn't wear them ! Or anything for that matter lol

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2021, 09:00:37 AM »
Yes, they had no legs.  Can't do in game corrections for that problem.  The Packers use half time drugs, but this is college basketball, not allowed, ha.
This year's ecvuse. They are tired.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2021, 09:05:41 AM »
i feel like people are to casual about a loss like this. up 18 and lose by double digits? some people are just like"oops tough game,were good though. on to the next one".

What else is there to do? Get angry? Too much else going on to be worked up about Marquette, at least thats how it is for me. Its apathy. Makes no sense to invest emotional energy in a product that will only be inconsistently successful. We know what the team can do (Creighton and WI) but it becomes a tired routine when they fall flat against teams they SHOULD be able to beat.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2021, 09:17:07 AM »
Very discouraging loss and a bad one to have to live with for 7 days. I'm sure the team isn't happy about that 7 day wait.

It was frustrating to not see any response to the high trapping. DJ not proving to be as effective as his reputation coming in. I don't think our team is as talented as some posters here aver. Polley coming off their bench appears better than anyone we have coming off our bench.

Jamal with several good moves to the basket today but the shots were just not dropping. More of that please.

UConn really pushed us around on the boards. Thought we would be stronger there. Justin hitting the wall early but good to see Dawson have a nice game.

But wait. They should be happy for the 7 day wait, because after all, "they are tired"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »

I think Dawson hit the wall in 2nd-half too, he was the one trying to guard Steph Curry er Polley and his offense disappeared after the awesome start

I'm not sure what to feel or think anymore, not allowed to be critical so like so many have said I guess it is time to just sit on the Apathy Bench with the sad face :(

I guess there is always next year, another great recruiting class coming in.......sigh
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
Heading into the season, this was a middle of the pack team.  Wins over Wisconsin and Creighton, both where we were a bit lucky to win caused higher expectations but it is clear as day that we are still a middle of the pack team.

Problem with this team does lie squarely on Wojo.  His teams never have an identity.  Its not defense.  In fact our defensive philosophy is awful.  I hate our help/rotational defense that leaves opponents wide open with any decent ball movement.  Its not offense.  We have little motion on the offensive of the ball.  It seems like this year we are trying to get the ball down low which is great but kick outs are slow and we turn the ball over at a ridiculous rate.

Last night UConn's defensive intensity and pressure was outstanding.  We had a hard time just making and catching a pass half of the time which forced us to rush our offense.  Where was the motion off the ball.  Why were we not passing out of the post double teams at a quicker rate with quicker passing.  Positioning off the post was awful.  Didn't punish them once so it kept coming. 

Its not rocket science.  Either Wojo doesn't know how to adjust or doesn't know how to translate his message for better execution or they don't practice any adjustments but it all falls on Wojo.  I view Wojo's coaching as this.  You need to try harder.  You need to shoot better.  You need to pass better.  You need to protect the ball better.  Great.  Any 10 year old can figure out to say those things.  The coaching part is telling them and showing them how to do those things. I think Wojo is failing miserably on those fronts, especially during games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
Kind of missing Chico's today.   The choking dogs peeing down their legs rant would be epic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
Kind of missing Chico's today.   The choking dogs peeing down their legs rant would be epic.

Buzz isn’t the coach. He’d make excuses for Wojo.

Plus, I don’t think he’s very far away.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:09 AM »

Chico went after Buzz and his players but he loved him some Crean and Wojo. If he were around he would find a way to defend last night’s performance and rip anyone who didn’t do likewise.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »

“This is how things are now, so if you don’t like it, root for another team.  Lots of things were going on when Buzz was here, just wait until the other shoe drops.  Brendan Bailey is an all-timer.”

There, that’s your Chico fix for the day.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:57:20 AM by Silent Verbal »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »

You know what?  You are right and that's my bad.  They didn't wear black to "honor Jacob Blake."  They wore black "in support of Jacob Blake, his family and the Kenosha community."

Subtle difference but it is a difference.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Fluffy

Thanks for the clarification.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »
Not having a bench to go to (only going eight players deep, with two of the three offering little-to-no production), once again, falls upon the responsibility and oversight of the head coach.  The reality that Dex and Sy do not contribute much (if at all) should speak volumes to where Jose falls.  Once again - roster construction, scholarships, recruiting - falls under the head coach. 

I have yet to see a Big East team we have played that only plays with an eight-man rotation (and a severely limited one at that).  This will only get more noticeable as the season goes on.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »
8 man rotations isn't the issue.  In fact, Duke when they beat Wisconsin and both Villanova teams that won the national titles did not go deep into their bench for a lot of minutes.  The problem is the 8 guys they played were all studs, and ours are not.

feedback