'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: illinois SOTG  (Read 7241 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: illinois SOTG
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2021, 11:00:08 PM »
Morsell. Kuath certainly had a defensive impact but I think Morsell's defense was just as key and he added the offensive production. Morsell's ability to harass ballhandlers AND defend an entirely different player at the same time is amazing. So many times he left his man to go make life difficult for Curbelo but did it in a way that there was no way Curbelo could get his man the ball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2021, 11:04:26 PM »
J Lew

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2021, 08:13:55 AM »
Are we falling into that trap that happened when Markus was here where we try to spread around SOTG and avoid giving it to the obvious choice? I think Kur had his best game so far, but Morsell is the easy choice. I know rebounding is a team focus but when we get out-rebounded by 20 and our starting center only has 5 boards, that’s not good. Morsell had just as many boards, played just as good defense, albeit at a different position, and was productive offensively again. Out of the TO Shaka called when we were down 12, everyone knew that Morsell was taking the shot, but he drilled it anyways. He’s just our “we need a basket now” guy. So solid, easy choice.

Edit: also, not SOTG worthy, but Stevie being the primary defender on Curbello in crunch time was very nice. Dude will be a stud once the game slows down a bit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:46:12 AM by Its DJOver »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2021, 08:28:23 AM »
Are we falling into that trap that happened when Markus was here where we try to spread around SOTG and avoid giving it to the obvious choice? I think Kur had his best game so far, but Morsell is the easy choice. I know rebounding isn’t a team focus but when we get out-rebounded by 20 and our starting center only has 5 boards, that’s not good. Morsell had just as many boards, played just as good defense, albeit at a different position, and was productive offensively again. Out of the TO Shaka called when we were down 12, everyone knew that Morsell was taking the shot, but he drilled it anyways. He’s just our “we need a basket now” guy. So solid, easy choice.

I would select Kuath in a close one, and it has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to spread around SOTG. I'd give it to Morsell every game, just as I'd have given it to Markus every game, if I felt he was the one.

I've already stated my case for Kuath, so I obviously disagree with you about Morsell being "the easy choice" this time. I think it's almost a coin flip, so obviously I'd have no problem with Morsell getting it (not that it would mean a hill of beans if I did have a problem with it).

Kolek and Lewis are also deserving of mention but are behind the other two IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2021, 08:38:32 AM »
The only two ways you should be able to win SOTG in 23 minutes is if you hit a game winning shot (i.e. Justin v Bucky last year), or a blowout buy game where you sit most of the second half because the game is done. Again, thought Kur had his best game, but certainly no SOTG performance in my eyes. To each their own.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
Are we falling into that trap that happened when Markus was here where we try to spread around SOTG and avoid giving it to the obvious choice? I think Kur had his best game so far, but Morsell is the easy choice. I know rebounding is a team focus but when we get out-rebounded by 20 and our starting center only has 5 boards, that’s not good. Morsell had just as many boards, played just as good defense, albeit at a different position, and was productive offensively again. Out of the TO Shaka called when we were down 12, everyone knew that Morsell was taking the shot, but he drilled it anyways. He’s just our “we need a basket now” guy. So solid, easy choice.

Edit: also, not SOTG worthy, but Stevie being the primary defender on Curbello in crunch time was very nice. Dude will be a stud once the game slows down a bit.

Agree with all of this.

Morsell has been unreal. So far from just a strong defensive presence and leader. It's also easy to forget now how our transfers usually take months to find their way and truly contribute. Morsell and Kolek have been more than impressive in that regard. It was nice to see Kuath show more against a step up in competition than we'd seen as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
The only two ways you should be able to win SOTG in 23 minutes is if you hit a game winning shot (i.e. Justin v Bucky last year), or a blowout buy game where you sit most of the second half because the game is done. Again, thought Kur had his best game, but certainly no SOTG performance in my eyes. To each their own.

All fair.

Morsell has been unreal. So far from just a strong defensive presence and leader. It's also easy to forget now how our transfers usually take months to find their way and truly contribute. Morsell and Kolek have been more than impressive in that regard. It was nice to see Kuath show more against a step up in competition than we'd seen as well.

Good point about our transfers, both historically and now.

Couldn't be more thrilled with Morsell; he is SO much better than advertised. Kuath was less than advertised the first two games but came through big vs Illinois. Kolek has been solid, and I look to see how much he can keep improving.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
Are we falling into that trap that happened when Markus was here where we try to spread around SOTG and avoid giving it to the obvious choice? I think Kur had his best game so far, but Morsell is the easy choice. I know rebounding isn’t a team focus but when we get out-rebounded by 20 and our starting center only has 5 boards, that’s not good. Morsell had just as many boards, played just as good defense, albeit at a different position, and was productive offensively again. Out of the TO Shaka called when we were down 12, everyone knew that Morsell was taking the shot, but he drilled it anyways. He’s just our “we need a basket now” guy. So solid, easy choice.

Not that we actually have a vote, but I should clarify: I think Morsell was the SOTG against Illinois.

My posts above about Kur were simply to comment on how nice it is to get blocks without a lot of fouling. So far this season, Kur has had at least as many blocks as fouls every game (SEIU - 3B and 2PF; UNH - 1 and 1; Illini - 5 and 1). I realize, of course, that this is a very small sample size, but if you look at stats from his two seasons in Oklahoma he did this in 35 of 57 games. For comparison, Theo did this only 32 times in 92 124 games at Marquette (and none of his four games at Duke). Oh...and Kur never fouled out of a game at Oklahoma (and only had four fouls twice).

I should point out that I was a big Theo fan and sometimes thought he was unfairly targeted by officials. I'm just saying that I hope we continue to get blocks from Kur without him always being in foul trouble.

Edited to correct the number of game Theo played at Marquette - 124. The "92" was the number of games when Theo didn't have at least as many blocks as fouls.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:21:57 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2021, 09:44:19 AM »
Are we falling into that trap that happened when Markus was here where we try to spread around SOTG and avoid giving it to the obvious choice?

Morsell was great, I said Kolek. The reason was because TK was so instrumental in getting the offense going. It felt like we really struggled to score without him in there. His two 3s were massive and he really pulled the offensive strings. Coming up with the defensive play and lay-up that won the game solidified my thought that he was just that dude all night long.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »
Not that we actually have a vote, but I should clarify: I think Morsell was the SOTG against Illinois.

My posts above about Kur were simply to comment on how nice it is to get blocks without a lot of fouling. So far this season, Kur has had at least as many blocks as fouls every game (SEIU - 3B and 2PF; UNH - 1 and 1; Illini - 5 and 1). I realize, of course, that this is a very small sample size, but if you look at stats from his two seasons in Oklahoma he did this in 35 of 57 games. For comparison, Theo did this only 32 times in 92 games at Marquette (and none of his four games at Duke). Oh...and Kur never fouled out of a game at Oklahoma (and only had four fouls twice).

I should point out that I was a big Theo fan and sometimes thought he was unfairly targeted by officials. I'm just saying that I hope we continue to get blocks from Kur without him always being in foul trouble.

It's almost comical how far away he can be from the body of the offensive player and still block their shot due to his long arms. What a huge advantage in avoiding fouls.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
Sorry folks, I've been so busy trying to figure out how to dry these damn blankets out, I neglected to get Kur's award up earlier.

Felt his play, especially in the late part of the game was the difference maker, hence, SOTG.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2021, 09:57:36 AM »
Sorry folks, I've been so busy trying to figure out how to dry these damn blankets out, I neglected to get Kur's award up earlier.

Felt his play, especially in the late part of the game was the difference maker, hence, SOTG.
No worries. I just figured you were too fixated on tonight's line to get this done

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
It all depends on how the blankets got wet.

So, a Kur for what ails us.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2021, 10:07:50 AM »

Great pic. Did he make that dunk?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »
Congratulations Kur on an award well earned.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
I given up trying to put input on this, I was happy to see they gave it to Kuath. It was the right choice,

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
this is outrageous. its unfair. 2-5 fg and 5 blocks is ok. morsell ballin like kobe and defending like pippin stud by far

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
this is outrageous. its unfair. 2-5 fg and 5 blocks is ok. morsell ballin like kobe and defending like pippin stud by far

I think you should protest by refusing to Venmo your $100 Scoop monthly subscription cost.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »

+1

While I was really happy to see Kur have a good game after two head scratching performances there is no way (imo) that he deserved SOTG. Morsell was an easy #1, Kolek and Lewis were a toss up for 2 and 3, Kuath a solid but distant 4.

Most improved player? Absolutely. SOTG? No way.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2021, 02:26:16 PM »
Great pic. Did he make that dunk?

It was against SIUe, and he missed his two dunk attempts that game, so I'm gonna say no.  But it's still a great shot (credit MU game gallery)

https://gomarquette.com/s3/gomarquette.com/custompages/gallery/MBB_vs_SIUE/thumbs/_big_AK2X3680.JPG

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2021, 03:07:24 PM »
It was against SIUe, and he missed his two dunk attempts that game, so I'm gonna say no.  But it's still a great shot (credit MU game gallery)

https://gomarquette.com/s3/gomarquette.com/custompages/gallery/MBB_vs_SIUE/thumbs/_big_AK2X3680.JPG

Sounds right. I think he's missed 3 dunks so far, all challenged.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2021, 05:53:25 AM »
Going to get a perma ban
Goal is National Championship

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2021, 09:39:25 AM »
Interesting choice.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.