'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Any MU bars in Chicago?  (Read 7984 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Any MU bars in Chicago?
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
Does anyone know of any bars in Chicago that show all the MU basketball games?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
Re: Any MU bars in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »
Schoolyard on Southport Ave. shows all the games and usually has a good crowd.  It can be tough to find a table if you don't show up really early for Saturday games.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
Four Shadows bar on Diversey and Ashland show the games too, smaller crowd than schoolyard.

I believe Finley Dunnes on Lincoln Ave show the games too, but I am not positive on that.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »
Schoolyard on Southport Ave. shows all the games and usually has a good crowd.  It can be tough to find a table if you don't show up really early for Saturday games.

+1

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to go to the schoolyard
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

kcasper13

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »
Four Shadows painted a big MU sign on the building last year that you can see heading south on Ashland.  Got to give it up to them for that.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »
Finley Dunne's on Lincoln, just south of Addison.  Has all the games and tolerable food. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 08:36:11 PM »
I like Schoolyard - nice bar, good crowd.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
new bar opened this summer....Halsted Harp...has MU ties.  2138 N. Halsted, in Lincoln Park.

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
There is also Cortland's Garage in Bucktown for all of those who aren't looking to trek over to Lakeview; it is a bit tucked away, but it is right by the highway (90/94) and a METRA stop.  The closest main intersection is Ashland and Armitage, and the bar is just a block south and west from that intersection.

I was there during last season and saw that they were flying the MU flag, so I inquired about games and they were just getting starting to figure out what they wanted to do for the games.  I recently checked back with them and they will be playing all games with sound and they said they will be offering some drink specials on top of their standard food deals (excellent bar food by the way; burger was rated 10 top in the city).  From what I hear the owner's sister is an MU Alum. 

It might be a nice alternative to the very crowded Schoolyard.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »
Murphy's Bleachers shows a lot of the games and is owned / run by an MU alum.
But I like to throw handfuls...

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
The Southsiders go to a sports bar owned and run by a 2001 MU grad.  2 or 3 of the bartenders went there between 1996-2003... Dingers (10638 S. Western Ave). 

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »
Schoolyard on Southport Ave. shows all the games and usually has a good crowd.  It can be tough to find a table if you don't show up really early for Saturday games.

If you live on the N.Side, The Schoolyard is definitely the place to go for games... The manager is a friend who graduated from MU in 2001 and hired a bunch of others who graduated from there.  I like the MU anthem that's played during TV timeouts, the cheap 32 oz drafts... but the Mad Dog 20/20 that's served in a brown paper bag pushes it over the top.  The only caveat is that you should try to pay in cash instead of running a tab... that is unless you want to pay for drinks you didn't order.    

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
McDunna's - 1505 W Fullerton Ave (just east of Ashland, on Fullerton)

jayswia

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
Are there MU bars in the burbs?  I moved from lakeview and now watch games at home? :(  I would rather drink mad dog among friends.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
Since this thread has remained relatively popular maybe a couple of you guys would like to update the MU friendly Chicago(land) Bars portion of the Wiki?

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/chicago_il

augoman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »
have to mention Will's Northwoods Inn on Racine in Lakeview.  Even had the MU bball schedule printed on plastic drink cups last year.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 06:54:23 PM »
have to mention Will's Northwoods Inn on Racine in Lakeview.  Even had the MU bball schedule printed on plastic drink cups last year.

Great bar but lots of rodents running around there. But they have Leinies Original on tap.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
Great bar but lots of rodents running around there. But they have Leinies Original on tap.
I've always wanted to watch an MU-UW game at Schoolyard, then race over a few blocks to Redmonds or Waterhouse and start flaunting the blue and gold. ;D
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »
The Schoolyard is definitely the place to go for games    

IWatching games there makes you feel like you are back in the 414.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

Agreed.  I used to live at Lincoln and Diversey and would go to Wills a fair amount.  I actually got annoyed at their display of MU items because it was far outnumbered by the obnoxious amount of UW memorabilia.  I got the impression they were trying to cater to all Wisconsin residents.

I stick to Schoolyard for sure.  Really fun atmosphere and love the yellow cups that now litter my cabinets.

I wasn't aware that Halligan used to be a MU supporter of sorts.  I go there quite frequently and don't recall seeing any sort of Marquette stuff still there.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I wasn't aware that Halligan used to be a MU supporter of sorts.  I go there quite frequently and don't recall seeing any sort of Marquette stuff still there.

Halligan's is more of a Notre Dame bar... I believe they have one MU flag there and alumni hang out there, but I wouldn't consider it an MU bar.  However, during the Final Four run, alot of MU alumni hung out there for the games as an alternative to Schoolyard. 

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
McDunna's (Fullerton and Greenview) is a great place to watch MU games.  By the end of the game, you'll be staggering out of there for cheap.  I love day-drinking.   

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 01:34:39 AM »
Are there MU bars in the burbs?  I moved from lakeview and now watch games at home? :(  I would rather drink mad dog among friends.

Which burbs? i know lake county

jayswia

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
Which burbs? i know lake county

I am out in Naperville. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »
IWatching games there makes you feel like you are back in the 414.

I would agree, I was there for the Missouri game and despite the outcome, it was alot of fun.  Fantastic crowd.  Everyone was hanging on every second and they also gave out free cans of Lite at the end.

I go to Schoolyard a bunch and the crowd is decent for most games.  But if you don't mind sacrificing a seat for a good environment, its a fun place to watch the big games (ND, WI, tourney, etc).
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
Feature's Bar in downtown Naperland generally will be showing MU games and I think there is an MU connection with the ownership.