* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 483287 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1625 on: April 14, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
Give me Jair Bolden, grad transfer combo guard from South Carolina, six foot four, tough kid who likes to play defense and shoots 41% from 3

And then let's hope for DJ and/or Mane

Any indication that Marquette has contacted him?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #1626 on: April 14, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »
Any indication that Marquette has contacted him?

No unfortunately.  I would expect Wojo would be very interested though.

I would prefer this young man over Turner.  NYC kid with an edge, smooth stroke, played his best games against the best competition in a power conference.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: April 14, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
Anyone know who has been in contact with him?  It looks like he might have been Creaned, as SC was over the scholarship limit.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1628 on: April 14, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »
No unfortunately.  I would expect Wojo would be very interested though.

I would prefer this young man over Turner.  NYC kid with an edge, smooth stroke, played his best games against the best competition in a power conference.

I mean...that's a bit of a reach.  The Turner ship has obviously sailed, but he would have very likely been our best player.  Bolden looks like a nice option to have, but not a high impact player.  Just my opinion.  I'd happily take Bolden on next year's roster as we sit here today. 

Anyone know who has been in contact with him?  It looks like he might have been Creaned, as SC was over the scholarship limit.

No published list I can find. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: April 14, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
Give me Jair Bolden, grad transfer combo guard from South Carolina, six foot four, tough kid who likes to play defense and shoots 41% from 3

would be an DeJulius (#77 to #67) type of impact, jumping from #77 to #68
http://www.barttorvik.com/transfercast.php?team=Marquette&run=1&player=Jair+Bolden%3BSouth+Carolina

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: April 14, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
Some posters: wojo is the head coach. Assistants don't have much direct control over the program. The failings of Marquette basketball is on Wojo!

The same posters: the only reason we got recruits was because of one particular assistant. Recruits don't want to play for wojo. And that same assistant is the only reason our current players don't transfer.

Please, I beg of you that are Stan stans, take your fan allegiance with him to LMU and beyond.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1631 on: April 14, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »
There hasn't been a ton of chatter about Carton publicly, but someone just earlier today said that Carton will just play professionally if he can't get a waiver to play immediately.  So me thinks he wants one unless that info is bad (which is possible).

Because nothing's as good for one's mental health as jumping right into the pressure cooker that is the NBA.

And don't think that NBA teams don't know that.  Who would take a chance on him before he shows a year of stability?

Oh, and he wasn't really ranked high enough coming out of high school to be considered a likely one and done.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: April 14, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
Depends who was in it.

And if he was wearing Depends.

Nice!

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: April 14, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »
Sam Hauser liked Goodman’s tweet of Turner going back to Bowling Green.
I am getting drunk.

nm, Beaten to the punch
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:24:06 PM by 4everDawson »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1634 on: April 14, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
Because nothing's as good for one's mental health as jumping right into the pressure cooker that is the NBA.

And don't think that NBA teams don't know that.  Who would take a chance on him before he shows a year of stability?

Oh, and he wasn't really ranked high enough coming out of high school to be considered a likely one and done.

I doubt he'd be playing in the NBA.  Likely overseas.  But yah, I agree with your overall thought process - Carton needs to find a school and get a good (full) season under his belt before the NBA is really an option. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: April 14, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »
I doubt he'd be playing in the NBA.  Likely overseas.  But yah, I agree with your overall thought process - Carton needs to find a school and get a good (full) season under his belt before the NBA is really an option.

Overseas could be even more stressful, language, living on his own, etc.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1636 on: April 14, 2020, 01:50:24 PM »
One of the changes I would like to see CBB make(and this has nothing to do with Turner, thought this before him but just reaffirmed it for me) is once you enter the portal...that's it, there is no going back to your current school. To me, this would make kids think a little harder about if it's really what they want, if they can't just run back to the safety of "home".

I'm sure others have said it and I'm just too lazy to go back and look, but you wonder if Turner knew he wanted to stay at BG all along, and he just entered the portal to drum up hype and attention from pro scouts?  It probably worked, too. 

And I'm not for restricting players from returning to their original school after they enter the transfer portal.  If the school wants to pull their scholarship for the next year and fill their spot, that's one thing, but to put restrictions on players to return to a team that would welcome them back seems excessive.   

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: April 14, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
Offers and conditions of that offer are two way streets.  Just because he chose to go back to BGSU doesn't mean he had other great options to choose from.  He would have been a grad transfer but I wouldn't be surprised if he heard a lot of you will need to win your spot.  We aren't going to guarantee a starting job for you.  Without getting to visit the school and play with the team, lots of doubts could arise.  Is he much better than Symir?  Being the best player on a bad team doesn't mean you would be able to replace the bench player on a good team.  With BGSU he knew what he was getting.

The fact that he went to none of the final schools on his list and returned tells me he wasn't going to get what he was hoping for at any of them.

Maybe the fact that he was second fiddle to Greg Elliot on his high school team, where Elliot was a star made him consider that nothing at high major schools is guaranteed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1638 on: April 14, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
I'm sure others have said it and I'm just too lazy to go back and look, but you wonder if Turner knew he wanted to stay at BG all along, and he just entered the portal to drum up hype and attention from pro scouts?  It probably worked, too. 

I doubt that.  NBA scouts knew about him before.  Their opinion of his game hasn't changed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: April 14, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/Cincinnati-Bearcats-basketball-recruiting-Rapolas-Ivanauskas-commitment-graduate-transfer-146037900/

Rapolas Ivanauskas to Cincinnati, no position overlap, but do they have any remaining scholarships to give?  DeJulius may be down to 3. 
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: April 14, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/Cincinnati-Bearcats-basketball-recruiting-Rapolas-Ivanauskas-commitment-graduate-transfer-146037900/

Rapolas Ivanauskas to Cincinnati, no position overlap, but do they have any remaining scholarships to give?  DeJulius may be down to 3.

Best I can tell from their board they still have 1 available

I mean Texas Tech currently sits at one OVER...and that was before Burton Committed.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: April 14, 2020, 03:21:57 PM »
Overseas could be even more stressful, language, living on his own, etc.

Seems like Australia/NZ teams are becoming popular alternatives to college... make some good $, no class, same language, beaches, laid back lifestyle in general... damn why don't we all move there??

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: April 14, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
Seems like Australia/NZ teams are becoming popular alternatives to college... make some good $, no class, same language, beaches, laid back lifestyle in general... damn why don't we all move there??
The fact Mane has visited MU is great...maybe an edge for Wojo, but I definitely can see Mane taking the Australia/NZ option if we approach mid-June and on-campus visits are still no-go.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: April 14, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
The fact Mane has visited MU is great...maybe an edge for Wojo, but I definitely can see Mane taking the Australia/NZ option if we approach mid-June and on-campus visits are still no-go.

Oh to be 19 with nearly limitless options...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: April 14, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »

After the 3 weeks we spent there on our honeymoon on the beaches in Far North Queensland...I ask myself that every day.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1645 on: April 14, 2020, 04:22:14 PM »

I do wonder about this option.  Is it sensible in the current climate?  Are their going to be legitimate options to play professionally anywhere in the next 6-9 months?

Of course, we can say the same about college hoops.  Does the luxury of a scholarship outweigh the uncertainty of finding a place to play?  Maybe just working out in preparation for the 2021 draft is appealing.  Or is that a high risk, low reward if there is no 2020-21 NBA season. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: April 14, 2020, 04:37:20 PM »
Watch Wisconsin somehow pull a Carton commitment out of their asses. Would anyone be surprised as much as MU fans have already been kicked in the nuts this off season?? It would be our luck, I swear.  :-\
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »
Watch Wisconsin somehow pull a Carton commitment out of their asses. Would anyone be surprised as much as MU fans have already been kicked in the nuts this off season?? It would be our luck, I swear.  :-\

good news, at least this nut kick will be avoided. Flood said Wisconsin is not pursuing Carton this morning

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: April 14, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
Oh to be 19 with nearly limitless options...

Sounds like a night at Angelo’s
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: April 14, 2020, 05:03:42 PM »

Victimhood Alert...I repeat, this is NOT a drill, Victimhood Alert!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson