'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Silencing Sam  (Read 2665 times)

MU82

• All American
Silencing Sam
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:36:28 PM »
This was talked about some near the end of the Markus Howard thread, but I thought it should stand on its own ...

Gard decided he wasn't going to let Sam spot up behind the arc and chuck wide-open 3s. Bucky paid attention to him and Hauser wasn't even part of the game. He took our first shot and never was open to shoot again. Yes, foul trouble had a lot to do with it, but he did play 18 minutes - which was only 6 fewer than his average going in. He simply was not allowed to stand wide-open and ready for passes.

Other teams let Sam's defender help on others, which was stupid. Why give up open 3s to a dead-eye shooter? Bucky didn't. That's smart.

The easiest person to take out of a game is a spot-up perimeter shooter. The middle-school team I coach faced one a couple weeks ago. Going in, I knew nothing about the team because they weren't in our conference. Early on, she hit two 3s and a 15-footer against our zone. I called time. We went to a "gadget" defense (called 1-3 Chaser; the back lines up like a regular 2-3, there is one guard at the top and the "Chaser" plays man-to-man). The girl didn't get another shot the rest of the game. Hell, back in my MU intramural days, I used to take the other team's outside shooter and totally shut him down. And I was no Ners, I'll tell you that.

It will be interesting to see if other teams follow Bucky's blueprint on defending Sam. There certainly are worse strategies to use against us.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Silencing Sam
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:39:42 PM »
This was talked about some near the end of the Markus Howard thread, but I thought it should stand on its own ...

Gard decided he wasn't going to let Sam spot up behind the arc and chuck wide-open 3s. Bucky paid attention to him and Hauser wasn't even part of the game. He took our first shot and never was open to shoot again. Yes, foul trouble had a lot to do with it, but he did play 18 minutes - which was only 6 fewer than his average going in. He simply was not allowed to stand wide-open and ready for passes.

Other teams let Sam's defender help on others, which was stupid. Why give up open 3s to a dead-eye shooter? Bucky didn't. That's smart.

The easiest person to take out of a game is a spot-up perimeter shooter. The middle-school team I coach faced one a couple weeks ago. Going in, I knew nothing about the team because they weren't in our conference. Early on, she hit two 3s and a 15-footer against our zone. I called time. We went to a "gadget" defense (called 1-3 Chaser; the back lines up like a regular 2-3, there is one guard at the top and the "Chaser" plays man-to-man). The girl didn't get another shot the rest of the game. Hell, back in my MU intramural days, I used to take the other team's outside shooter and totally shut him down. And I was no Ners, I'll tell you that.

It will be interesting to see if other teams follow Bucky's blueprint on defending Sam. There certainly are worse strategies to use against us.

Totally agree. And when Gard's strategy worked to perfection, what did Wojo do to counteract it?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
Totally agree. And when Gard's strategy worked to perfection, what did Wojo do to counteract it?

Put in Katin who pretty much kept us in the game in the first half.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »

That was quick. Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »

Exactly ... except for the "pretty much" part. Without Katin making everything, we're down double-digits easy.

Had Katin had the kind of game Sam did, he would have been ripped up and down on this board. Sam is the favorite son (at least now) and he can do no wrong; Katin is the red-headed stepchild.

Not that Sam being invisible against Bucky was really his "fault." He is who he is, and Bucky simply took him out of the game. We have seen a few glimpses of him doing other things on offense besides spotting up behind the arc, and as he gets more experienced he will become all the more valuable. Think about how varied Novak's game eventually became.

I'm very high on Sam, and he will still have some big games for us. But again, any team that chooses to eliminate his 3-point threat probably will be able to do it. The other 4 players will have to make opponents pay for that strategy.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »
Exactly ... except for the "pretty much" part. Without Katin making everything, we're down double-digits easy.

Had Katin had the kind of game Sam did, he would have been ripped up and down on this board. Sam is the favorite son (at least now) and he can do no wrong; Katin is the red-headed stepchild.

Not that Sam being invisible against Bucky was really his "fault." He is who he is, and Bucky simply took him out of the game. We have seen a few glimpses of him doing other things on offense besides spotting up behind the arc, and as he gets more experienced he will become all the more valuable. Think about how varied Novak's game eventually became.

I'm very high on Sam, and he will still have some big games for us. But again, any team that chooses to eliminate his 3-point threat probably will be able to do it. The other 4 players will have to make opponents pay for that strategy.

I get what you're saying about ripping Katin vs Sam. But there are major differences.

One is an 18yr old frosh who was expected to play spot minutes off the bench.

The other is a grad senior expected to start and average over 7 points a game and be a leader...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:25:04 PM »
I get what you're saying about ripping Katin vs Sam. But there are major differences.

One is an 18yr old frosh who was expected to play spot minutes off the bench.

The other is a grad senior expected to start and average over 7 points a game and be a leader...

I understand all the differences. I'm just saying that Sam basically can do no wrong and Katin can do no right for ScoopLand these days.

Again, I'm thrilled with Sam's season so far. I also still believe Katin will help us this season. My goal wasn't to make it an either-or scenario.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 12:32:20 AM »
I understand all the differences. I'm just saying that Sam basically can do no wrong and Katin can do no right for ScoopLand these days.

Again, I'm thrilled with Sam's season so far. I also still believe Katin will help us this season. My goal wasn't to make it an either-or scenario.

Katin definitely had his best game in a Marquette uniform. Too bad the rest couldn't match his play. Had he kept that up in the second, he would've been stud worthy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:12:41 AM »
Thanks '82 for picking up on this.  Hauser was silenced, but his man could not sag nor collapse to the middle at all, and it opened things up a little for Luke in the first half.  Gard had a good strategy until Dickhead got 2 fouls.  In the 2nd half, Gard changed strategy and started fronting Luke and stayed with Hauser as well.  This is why I pointed out that Howard needs to dish better.  When the defender is fronting the big and the guard drives, the big is open for an easy layup if the pass comes at the right time.  Bucky did this to us about 15 times during that game.  Gard's risk payed off because our big couldn't get position and our guards couldn't get him the ball. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 05:13:08 AM »
Now if we could play defense like UW we would be at least 8-2 and maybe 9-1. There is nothing wrong with our offense.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »
Now if we could play defense like UW we would be at least 8-2 and maybe 9-1. There is nothing wrong with our offense.

If we could play defense like UW we would be a top-15 in the country and a viable Final Four and National Title contender.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:04 AM »
If we could play defense like UW we would be a top-15 in the country and a viable Final Four and National Title contender.

Word.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
Thanks '82 for picking up on this. Hauser was silenced, but his man could not sag nor collapse to the middle at all, and it opened things up a little for Luke in the first half.  Gard had a good strategy until Dickhead got 2 fouls. In the 2nd half, Gard changed strategy and started fronting Luke and stayed with Hauser as well. This is why I pointed out that Howard needs to dish better.  When the defender is fronting the big and the guard drives, the big is open for an easy layup if the pass comes at the right time.  Bucky did this to us about 15 times during that game. Gard's risk payed off because our big couldn't get position and our guards couldn't get him the ball.

Great post. Actions have consequences. Great teams take what their opponent gives them and turn it to their advantage. Wisconsin was the better team this game. Establishing good position on the block and passing into the low post are definitely areas we can improve.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:30 AM »
Thanks '82 for picking up on this.  Hauser was silenced, but his man could not sag nor collapse to the middle at all, and it opened things up a little for Luke in the first half.  Gard had a good strategy until Dickhead got 2 fouls.  In the 2nd half, Gard changed strategy and started fronting Luke and stayed with Hauser as well.  This is why I pointed out that Howard needs to dish better.  When the defender is fronting the big and the guard drives, the big is open for an easy layup if the pass comes at the right time.  Bucky did this to us about 15 times during that game.  Gard's risk payed off because our big couldn't get position and our guards couldn't get him the ball. 

Having Happ in the game meant that Hayes was now guarding on the perimeter.  Between him and Brown, they can put a lot of length out there making it harder to shoot over them. 

The one thing that may have worked, and maybe Wojo should have tried it earlier, is to go small.  When we did that later in the second half, we were much quicker and had a nice run that forced Gard to take out Happ.  I think we had Markus, Katin, Haanif, Rowsey and Sam on the floor?  A risky strategy, but it did pay off in the short run.