[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 03:22:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Defensive theory  (Read 2869 times)

tower912

• All American
Defensive theory
« on: December 10, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
What kind of defense should be run when your guard and wings don't contain the dribble, are undersized, and the few bigs you do have are slow?
I'm serious.  It is easy to criticize wojo and his scheme.  How do you hide the physical shortcomings of this team?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Defensive theory
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »
What kind of defense should be run when your guard and wings don't contain the dribble, are undersized, and the few bigs you do have are slow?
I'm serious.  It is easy to criticize wojo and his scheme.  How do you hide the physical shortcomings of this team?

Probably zone. But that's still gonna lose you a lot of games. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
Wojo getting paid millions to devise the answer to that question. It is clear he doesn't have the answer.

At some point we have to consider a zone.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:53:03 PM »
Stay in man, but pack it in. UW has had teams far less quick than this MU roster, but has been able to contain teams defensively.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
I am beginning to think a form of pack-line defense as well. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
Stay in man, but pack it in. UW has had teams far less quick than this MU roster, but has been able to contain teams defensively.

This - we need to defend less space and allow for shorter recovery distance when we get beat/help.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
You don't. You outscore your opponents. Going to zone hampers your offense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Man. No question. Start teaching the correct principles, as in force baseline. Teams get 'paint touches' way too easily on us. And its a joke.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »
One simple adjustment... fish stays in the box on high screens.  Don't switch, don't shade, don't pursue.  He gets too far out of position and cannot recover.  The man getting screened must get over the screen and back to his man.
This is not rocket science...it's an adjustment Popovich will make 2-3 times per game based on his and opposing personnel.

I'm also OK with Heldt shading on the screens because he recovers better than fish and is more defensively aware.  If the opponent is getting too many open 3's off of high screens, remove fish and insert Heldt. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »
One simple adjustment... fish stays in the box on high screens. Don't switch, don't shade, don't pursue. He gets too far out of position and cannot recover. The man getting screened must get over the screen and back to his man.

This is not rocket science...it's an adjustment Popovich will make 2-3 times per game based on his and opposing personnel.

I'm also OK with Heldt shading on the screens because he recovers better than fish and is more defensively aware. If the opponent is getting too many open 3's off of high screens, remove fish and insert Heldt.

I'd be okay with this — except that our on-ball defenders are getting burned like crazy. Markus must have run straight into at least four screens set by Happ, including one that knocked him flat on his back. Without help, that turns into an easy 2 points (or a possible and-one). Either they need to step up their games, or the team needs to communicate better — so the on-ball defender can go under the screen, or someone other than Luke can help stop dribble-drive penetration.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:51:47 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »
I really do not like Fisher running around outside against the pick and roll.  Big mistake, one reason is that he always picks up a stupid foul when a player turns the
corner.  Even if he does not do anything and the offensive player runs into him they call a cheap one on Fisher.  Every game it seems.  Better to play a 2-1-2 zone and
lose from the outside instead of seeing lay-up after lay-up.  From that D, you can double low with the middle man, and the top player can move lower in the zone.
That way they could have doubled Happ much like Creighton did.    Let Vito and Showalter beat you from outside and guard Koenig pretty straight and Hayes. 

MU to small bottom line.  Not getting Kyle Washington is the killer.  Him instead of Reinhardt, big difference.  Reinhardt or even Sam guarding Hayes one-on-one was
a joke.  No way.  Looking at the Big East, it will be challenging to say the least.  Even beating Georgetown will be really hard as they are really athletic.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
Man. But everyone on the team needs to at least try and play defense

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 12:33:54 PM »
Zone is not the answer unless the question is what defense should we use situationally based on  match-up or personnel.

The problems with our defense start with the pick and roll. We are too slow with our interior defense which then forces the weak side help to stay too long so we either end up giving up easy lay-ups or corner 3s. I'd take one of two options, trap on the ball or run the defense under the screen. Right now teams are shooting 65% on 2s against us, I'd argue we should give up more looks at 3 in exchange for better interior defense.

Ultimately the next month will tell me what I need to know about Wojo. Can he adjust his philosophy to address the concerns. Wojo has repeatedly acknowledged that the defense is an issue, what does he do about it is the question. If he can't adjust(either by teaching the current philosophy "better" or changing strategy) then this season is lost for NCAA and that means with Wojo we are going to be talent dependent aka when we have the "right" players we'll win when we don't we won't.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 12:34:56 PM »
You don't. You outscore your opponents. Going to zone hampers your offense.

100% correct, our defensive rebounding and the offense we generate from that is good to great. Going to zone(except for match-up based occasions) will make the offense worse and the defense not equivalently better.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »

Your best bet is the Box and 1 or Triangle and 2... but those won't work against teams who have more than 2 above-average players on the floor.  Unfortunately for MU, nearly every BE team is going to put at least 3 and as many as 5 above-average players on the court.

The only other alternative (other than what Wojo is doing) is to go to set schemes/plays on defense and show them a different look every possession, i.e. turn the game into a chess match and hope you can disrupt their offense into missing more shots.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »
Your best bet is the Box and 1 or Triangle and 2... but those won't work against teams who have more than 2 above-average players on the floor.  Unfortunately for MU, nearly every BE team is going to put at least 3 and as many as 5 above-average players on the court.

The only other alternative (other than what Wojo is doing) is to go to set schemes/plays on defense and show them a different look every possession, i.e. turn the game into a chess match and hope you can disrupt their offense into missing more shots.

The easiest solution, then, is to leave the Big East and head on over to the A-10.

Defensive problems.  Solved.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 02:23:17 PM »
The easiest solution, then, is to leave the Big East and head on over to the A-10.

Sometime it is best to try different defenses, maybe that would help.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »

Or just put together a team of guys who can win in the Big East. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »
Or just put together a team of guys who can win in the Big East.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback