'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Arena Ticket Update  (Read 194069 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: New Arena Ticket Update
« Reply #850 on: October 24, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »

Maybe this is just their way of culling the sweater-vest crowd since "God's way" is moving slower than they thought.

Ha.  The last thing I want to do is PO an alum who might have MU in their will!   :)

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #851 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
Agreed. I don't have a printer at home because we don't print enough to justify it. And while I've done the screenshot method for mobile tickets, I don't like having to count on that. This is one of those things I'm old school on and am not a fan of being forced to adapt to. I have friends that in their 30s and 40s that don't have smart phones, I imagine there are many in the sweater vest crowd that are the same.

I also like to hang on to special tickets.  Have a pile of them in a box from various sporting events over the years that have meaning.  Marquette beating #1 Villanova is one. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #852 on: October 24, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »
I know I do.  I 1000% hate using a phone for tickets.  HATE.  I know my phone will screw up or not have coverage at just the wrong moment.

If you're concerned about your phone messing up, use google pay. You can download tickets at any time so you don't need service when you check in. Literally just need to make sure your phone is charged. And if it's not you can log into your google account from someone else's phone.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #853 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:09 AM »
I'm sure he will.  And chick is now going to be 100% responsible for mine!   ;D

Now we know who he was really talking about.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #854 on: October 24, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
It's really not that difficult.  Both Marquette and Ticketmaster (or any sports or entertainment venue) have a generic ticket they print out when you buy at the walk ticket counter.  You old foggies will get these in the future versus your handy dandy embossed tickets (for a service charge). 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #855 on: October 24, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
I also like to hang on to special tickets.  Have a pile of them in a box from various sporting events over the years that have meaning.  Marquette beating #1 Villanova is one.

Thatsmyticket.com makes nice holders for special events.  They will also create replica tickets if you have a printed one.  I have my Nova ticket in one of their holders.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:43:16 AM by TallTitan34 »

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #856 on: October 24, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »
Electronic ticketing sucks and here's why:

Screenshot the ticket and make sure your battery is charged -- Fine, if you want to use an electronic ticket, this is probably the best advice, but, assuming you have a smartphone and want to carry it everywhere, what if you drop your phone in the mass of crowd trying to get in and it breaks?  Now you have no ticket and a huge bill to buy a new phone or get yours fixed - awesome!  Drop a piece of paper, no problem.  The simplest technology, i.e. a piece of paper, is usually the best, and is in this case as well.  I am not an octogenarian or even close, but I will always go through whatever the hassle is to have a piece of paper on me that gives me the right to enter game.  This doesn't mention the additional delays from people trying to get logged into their phones (or find them in their purse), then find the electronic ticket on their phone, make sure their phone doesn't turn off or dim while trying to scan it, etc.  This is technology for the sake of technology and making tickets less easily transferable, and it has very few benefits but a number of downsides.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #857 on: October 24, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
Now we know who he was really talking about.

Does he require a paper airline ticket when flying to Las Vegas to put real quarters into the old school arm-pulled slots too?  Time for a trade in?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #858 on: October 24, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »

Screenshot the ticket and make sure your battery is charged -- Fine, if you want to use an electronic ticket, this is probably the best advice, but, assuming you have a smartphone and want to carry it everywhere, what if you drop your phone in the mass of crowd trying to get in and it breaks?  Now you have no ticket and a huge bill to buy a new phone or get yours fixed - awesome!  Drop a piece of paper, no problem.  The simplest technology, i.e. a piece of paper, is usually the best, and is in this case as well.  I am not an octogenarian or even close, but I will always go through whatever the hassle is to have a piece of paper on me that gives me the right to enter game.  This doesn't mention the additional delays from people trying to get logged into their phones (or find them in their purse), then find the electronic ticket on their phone, make sure their phone doesn't turn off or dim while trying to scan it, etc.  This is technology for the sake of technology and making tickets less easily transferable, and it has very few benefits but a number of downsides.

This is why Spirit charges you extra to check in with a live person. The rest of us prefer cheaper tickets and don't want to pay for you.

Buy a Mophie and a protective screen. If you suffer catostrophic life event like dropping your phone in the Turners crapper, walk over 10 steps to the FF ticket office and they will print you your paper tickets when you present your ID.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #859 on: October 24, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
This is why Spirit charges you extra to check in with a live person. The rest of us prefer cheaper tickets and don't want to pay for you.

Buy a Mophie and a protective screen. If you suffer catostrophic life event like dropping your phone in the Turners crapper, walk over 10 steps to the FF ticket office and they will print you your paper tickets when you present your ID.

I didn't say it wasn't cheaper, I said it wasn't better.  Big difference.  I prefer to pay for quality, but to each their own.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #860 on: October 24, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »

This is technology for the sake of technology and making tickets less easily transferable...

Wow, different perspectives, I guess.  From my perspective, ease of transfer is the absolute No. 1 benefit of electronic ticketing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #861 on: October 24, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
I didn't say it wasn't cheaper, I said it wasn't better.  Big difference.  I prefer to pay for quality, but to each their own.

So you are fine with MU charging you $50 for printing and shipping.  Great to me. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #862 on: October 24, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »

1. Like Dr. B says you can go to the ticket office at the FF and have your tickets printed so you still have a ticket
2. If you save them to google pay or a similar app you can bring up your tickets on another phone
3. I don't think its fair to include the cost of fixing a phone to this situation. Getting an electronic ticket didn't make you drop your phone, you dropped your phone.
4. All this can happen with a paper ticket. Gust of wind, it rains, you drop it and someone steps on it and tears it where it scans, falls out of your pocket and you don't notice. Like the broken phone you just go to the FF ticket office and have them print it there.
5. I put the likelihood of you dropping your phone so hard that it is destroyed specifically during the narrow window of time where you take it out to scan your ticket at way less than 1%. It might happen to one person (out of 10-18K) every couple of games. To ask the university to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars because of something that will happen only a few times a season at most is silly.

As for the it slows down the line argument, it could be true but if it is, I don't think it's by that much. I see just as much potential to fumble around looking for their paper ticket in ten different pockets as I do for people having issues with their phones. Not enough of an inconvenience to justify the cost IMHO.
TAMU

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #863 on: October 24, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »
So you are fine with MU charging you $50 for printing and shipping.  Great to me.

Where did I say I needed MU to print them and ship them to me?  I'm simply stating that I prefer a hard copy ticket and always will.  If you disagree, that's great and I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #864 on: October 24, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Ha.  The last thing I want to do is PO an alum who might have MU in their will!   :)

Not picking on you Glow but I've heard comments like this before and I am always amazed by the alleged pettiness of some of our donors. If someone is going to withhold their donation because the university decided to switch to digital tickets, that is amazing to me. I don't rub elbows that high up so it could absolutely be true but I really hope it isn't.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:45:45 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #865 on: October 24, 2018, 11:25:01 AM »
Wow, different perspectives, I guess.  From my perspective, ease of transfer is the absolute No. 1 benefit of electronic ticketing.

Also, I am much more likely to forget a paper ticket at home than to not have my phone charged, working, and available.
Have some patience, FFS.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #866 on: October 24, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »
Textbook example of a pretty small offseason change, causing people to freak out.  This is why we need basketball in our lives.  Tuesday can't get here soon enough

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #867 on: October 24, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Also, I am much more likely to forget a paper ticket at home than to not have my phone charged, working, and available.

The electronic ticket is absolutely a great backup option, no doubt.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #868 on: October 24, 2018, 12:00:07 PM »
I'm 32 and I'd prefer a printed ticket everyday over an electronic ticket. At least give the option to print from Ticketmaster.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #869 on: October 24, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
Where did I say I needed MU to print them and ship them to me?  I'm simply stating that I prefer a hard copy ticket and always will.  If you disagree, that's great and I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

I don't disagree as to your preference.  I disagree about me having to pay for it. 

Listen, Marquette has done all it can do to keep the cost of tickets in the new arena reasonable and to give folks a range of options...all while maximizing revenue in a year that the tax deductions law changed.

Not printing the high security, four color graphics that are different for every game is one way.  MU has 11,000 ticket holders times 20 games = 220,000 tickets.  I think a $1 a ticket for design, set-up, materials, printing, handling and postage is a reasonable estimate, if not low.

If you want to print them at home, it is entirely possible from the app.  I have an iPhone and I can either send them to Apple Wallet or I can send them directly to my printer from the MU Ticketmaster site.  Others have Androids and the Google options. If you need help, Scoopers can aid you.  It's simple once you know how to do it.

As I said, in emergencies, MU fully staffs the ticket windows for either Will Call or to print lost tickets.  They are very high service.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:34:14 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #870 on: October 24, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
This might be our best Scoop debate yet.  Well done everyone!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #871 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Said like 100 years ago probably:

"What?? I can no longer attend this sporting event simply by showing up and having William who sold me my admittance vouch for me? What is this paper thingy you are giving me, young whippersnapper? I have to keep this.....tik-ket {looks at object with disdain} and show it to attend the event? What if I lose it as I change from my work jacket into my evening jacket? What if my maid throws it away not knowing what it is? What if I get here and have forgotten this....tik-ket, am I suppposed to send my carriage driver back to my domicile to retrieve it while I stand outside like some street urchin? Good sir, I am incredulous, please make sure William is at the event to vouch for my identity. Good day......I said GOOD DAY!"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #872 on: October 24, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
Maybe this is just their way of culling the sweater-vest crowd since "God's way" is moving slower than they thought.

Bravo. I laughed out loud, and when my wife asked why, I read it to her, and she also laughed out loud. (That said, I still want paper tickets).

The Marquette corner of my office features a custom framed piece with the article from the Journal-Sentinel, a picture I took of the students rushing the court, and both tickets from the Villanova game framed. I look forward to doing the same for the next time we clinch the Big East title at home as well as when we win the National Championship in the next two years. Not having paper tickets to frame will make for a significantly less interesting montage display.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #873 on: October 24, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »

Lol yes hopefully Marquette Athletics runs like Spirit airlines does.

"Oh I am sorry to bring a coat inside is an extra $35"

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #874 on: October 24, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »
The Marquette corner of my office features a custom framed piece with the article from the Journal-Sentinel, a picture I took of the students rushing the court, and both tickets from the Villanova game framed. I look forward to doing the same for the next time we clinch the Big East title at home as well as when we win the National Championship in the next two years. Not having paper tickets to frame will make for a significantly less interesting montage display.

Look for me in that photo, I am the devilishly handsome one in a great coat.

I also have an iphone 6 with a rough battery life that wont live through a few hours at the bar beforehand and waaaay to cheap to spend $1,000 on a new one. But hey since we are going digital and MU is saving all of this money maybe they can buy me a new one