'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Conference reallignment proposition  (Read 7218 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Conference reallignment proposition
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
Based on Calhoun's recent issues with the 18 game season, and the lurking pull-out of the football schools, the remaining BE teams should consider adding the following teams: Xavier (#16 & Jesuit), Dayton (#25), St. Josephs (Jesuit) and Saint Louis (Jesuit & Majerus).  This would allow for two divisions, New England & Great Lakes.  If you played divisional teams twice and one crossover game against each team, it would be a total of 16 conference games.  Most importantly, it would be a very strong conference.

NE
Villanova
St. Joes
St. Johns
Providence
G'town
Seton Hall

GL
DePaul
Marquette
ND
Dayton
St. Louis
Xavier
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
Re: Conference reallignment proposition
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »
Didn't know Calhoun had that much pull.

But seriously, why would a team like Syracuse, a team with some of the most history leave the BE?

And SLU?  St. Joes?  Blech!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
It always amazes me that whenever this topic comes up and someone proposes an "all catholic" conference, that several mid to low majors are included. Why?? Why woud you want to see MU leave the best conference in the country and then realign themselves with very low majors?? That has never made any sense to me. :o
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
It always amazes me that whenever this topic comes up and someone proposes an "all catholic" conference, that several mid to low majors are included. Why?? Why woud you want to see MU leave the best conference in the country and then realign themselves with very low majors?? That has never made any sense to me. :o

Nobody(outside of Rick Majerus) wants MU to leave the Big East.  But many people think that once the current deals are done, the football schools are going to leave the conference so that they don't have to share as much revenue, forcing MU and the other basketball only schools to come up with a new conference.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
Based on Calhoun's recent issues with the 18 game season, and the lurking pull-out of the football schools, the remaining BE teams should consider adding the following teams: Xavier (#16 & Jesuit), Dayton (#25), St. Josephs (Jesuit) and Saint Louis (Jesuit & Majerus).  This would allow for two divisions, New England & Great Lakes.  If you played divisional teams twice and one crossover game against each team, it would be a total of 16 conference games.  Most importantly, it would be a very strong conference.

NE
Villanova
St. Joes
St. Johns
Providence
G'town
Seton Hall

GL
DePaul
Marquette
ND
Dayton
St. Louis
Xavier

In bold are the charter members of the BE. IMHO, a potentially strong BK conference but NOT ONE state school.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
Being a member of the Big East is the big thing that seperates us from some of our "peer" schools like St. Louis and Xavier.  If we lose the BE, we are much more in danger of becoming a mid-major than those mid-majors are becoming major.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
I would say this arrangement isn't very likely for a few reasons.

1) Any new league, particularly the emerging football-centric league, would have to give up both it's NCAA tournament auto-bid for the first 5 years, plus would lose the Big East's automatic BCS bid spot.  Plus I believe that the original BE members (the basketball-only schools namely) would have the right to the BE name and automatic bid.

2) The Big East WILL NOT willingly surrender the NYC, DC, Chicago, and Philadelphia media markets.  No freaking way.  While a new league will have some residual presence in these markets (i.e. Rutgers in NYC), it would result in a huge drop off in their TV royalties.  Your remaining media markets would be Hartford, Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Tampa, NYC/NJ, and Morgantown.  Looks good on paper, but not like having 4 of the top 10 like they do now.

3) ND will not leave the Big East for an all-Catholic league.   They are committed to their Olympic sports programs big-time, and this league would not give them enough in terms of the number of sports it would offer beyond men and women's basketball.

4) It's more likely, IMO, that the Big East eventually drafts a football only member.  There aren't too many fits, but if they could convince Navy to leave independent status, pull a team like Central Florida out of CUSA, or convince one of the D1-AA football schools in the BE (GTown and Villanova) to jump to full D1 status, it'll put them at 9 and quiet the football coaches down. They won't get ND as long as NBC is willing to give ND millions a year.       
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:31:16 PM by The General »
The General has taken on a new command.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:08:05 PM »
Playing the teams out east is a big draw about why to come to MU instead of a Big 10 or Big 12 program.  The more games in New York the better for our program.  We don't want games against Xavier, SLU, etc.  They are comparable schools, but who is going to tune in to watch those? 

I think that instead of 18 games, everyone should play each other once making it a 15 game schedule.  Then, each team could schedule more games against other major conference teams.  Think about it, when the conference schedule started, the Big East had 9 ranked teams.  Now, we have 6.  Maybe if we pounded on some teams of equal caliber, it would be a different story.  Instead of playing Nova, G-town, and DePaul twice, our conference looks better if we played something like Illinois, Kansas St., and Arizona.  And imagine if everyone did that then.  It would let our teams rest before the tournament because of easier games and would prove conference superiority.

All-in-all, I think that the league is great the way it is from Marquette's perspective.  For football, we are a BCS conference, so I don't know what the complaining is about.  South Florida and West Va were title game contenders 2 years ago.  Also, leaving the Big East does not necessarily mean that big time football recruits from Texas, Florida, and California are going to start coming to Syracuse, UConn or Louisville.  The football is fine as it is, too.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:17:59 PM »
The football schools don't share football revenue with the basketball only schools.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »
They won't get ND as long as NBC is willing to give ND millions a year.       

Or when the BCS revokes the special ND clause in the arrangement.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
MU could always follow what Gtown and Nova is doing and what UConn has done and get a football team.

Anyone notice that giant empty space north of the BC?

Yes I realize I am opening a giant can of worms with that statement but I love to dream about a Golden Eagles Football team.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:47:32 AM »
MU could always follow what Gtown and Nova is doing and what UConn has done and get a football team.

Yes I realize I am opening a giant can of worms with that statement but I love to dream about a Golden Eagles Football team.

I would presume that Senator Kohl is hoping that open space gets turned into a new arena for the Bucks, or at least something to drive up the revenues for the Bucks.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »
I think that instead of 18 games, everyone should play each other once making it a 15 game schedule.  Then, each team could schedule more games against other major conference teams.  Think about it, when the conference schedule started, the Big East had 9 ranked teams.  Now, we have 6.  Maybe if we pounded on some teams of equal caliber, it would be a different story.  Instead of playing Nova, G-town, and DePaul twice, our conference looks better if we played something like Illinois, Kansas St., and Arizona. 

Leaving aside the problems with 8 home games/7 away, leaving 3 extra games means each team will invest in at least 2 "buy" games if not 3 to earn as much money as possible.

I'm all for the Big East playing more great non-conference teams, but in reality without a football team to support half the schools - more non-conference games just means more chances to earn as much money as possible with additional home games.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »

I'm sorry, but that idea should never see the light of day.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
This would not be an issue of the football schools leaving the BE, but rather an issue of the Big East giving teh boot to non-football schools in favor of some different schools.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 08:24:02 AM »
This would not be an issue of the football schools leaving the BE, but rather an issue of the Big East giving teh boot to non-football schools in favor of some different schools.
Anyone happen to know what the procedure is for a conference revoking the membership of a school? I know the BE booted Temple about a decade ago... is it just a simple majority vote?

Anyway, assuming you consider ND a non-football school relative to its BE interests, that's exactly half the league. So unless one of the non-football schools voted against its own interests, you still wouldn't have a simple majority needed to boot the non-football schools. Thus, I'm pretty sure if the football/non-football split ever occurs, the basketball schools will be keeping the BE name and the autobid.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 08:33:56 AM »
From a money standpoint you just dropped Pittsburgh, Louisville, Jersey, Tampa, Upstate NY, Connecticut, and Morgantown for more southern OH and IN exposure (probably not good for recruiting)

Plus who in their right mind would trade games with Louisville, Syracuse and Uconn for St Joe, Dayton, and SLU?
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »

We'd need to come up with $100 million.  Additionally we'd either need womens sports that would allow for another 85-100 individuals to play, or we'd have to cut men's sports to be able to support a football team of that size.  That would be a monumental undertaking.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »
I am not suggesting they would simply say, "you're out." I am assuming if something like this would happen, it would be a several year process involving pretty significant realignment involving multiple schools and conferences like we saw a few years back.

Fact is, as much as we don't want to acknowledge it, schools like MU and Villanova are not bringing as much to the party as are schools like Rutgers and USF, let alone Pittsburgh, WVU, UConn, etc.

mu1642

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »
This is a stupid suggestion@@@@

bma725

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »

Actually it wouldn't be.  The conference by laws are set up so that if there is a split, the name and everything associated with it go to whichever new conference has the highest number of founding Big East members.  Since there are only 6 founding members left in the conference, and 4 of them are basketball schools, that means the name and conference would stay with the basketball schools assuming they all stuck together.  

So really, the football schools couldn't boot anyone out, because they don't get to keep the name or anything like that.  They'd have to start a completely new conference on their own.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 08:51:50 AM »
Certainly, the reallignment possibility is not the preferred option (retaining the current structure is), just a thought about who MU could naturally allign with in the event that the break-up occurs.  It should be noted that for a good stretch of the 90s, SLU was a pretty big rival, and Xavier was often held up as a model program for MU.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Norm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
NE
Villanova
St. Joes
St. Johns
Providence
G'town
Seton Hall

GL
DePaul
Marquette
ND
Dayton
St. Louis
Xavier

While I am mostly in agreement with those who have argued it is better to stay in the current makeup of the Big East, if something like this were to happen I would substitute several teams to get a better geographical makeup. Here's how I would arrange it:

NE
Villanova (Philadelphia)
Duquesne (Pittsburgh)
St. Johns (New York)
Providence (Providence)
G'town (Washington, DC)
Seton Hall (South Orange, NJ/New York)

MW
DePaul (Chicago)
Marquette (Milwaukee)
Detroit-Mercy (Detroit)
Creighton (Omaha)
Butler (Indianapolis)
Xavier (Cincinnati)

If Notre Dame were to hop on board, then you could also add Dayton or St. Louis. Just my two cents.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
11 Catholic schools....and Butler?

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm just sayin'...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:32 AM »
Why do these proposals always put us in a mid-major conference?  If I'm ND I'm joining the Big Ten before any of these conferences.  Heck, I'd rather see MU in the Big Ten before these conferences.  And we'd surely get the "students aren't going to games" threads for every game on the schedule.  I really think, and hope, the BE would division-up in football vs. non-football before splitting completely.  Would probably make dealing with revenues easier, and would still give us games against actual good teams every year.

feedback