'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last Night's Student Section = Weak Sauce  (Read 13962 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: Last Night's Student Section = Weak Sauce
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »
Could we please stop this stupid thread from being started every year? Boo-hoo, the student section isn't the best in the nation (as if that is actually a serious claim or something we all believe). Do we not have better things to talk about?

And thank you MUsoxfan for stating the situation so well and thinking like a reasonable person. We students love basketball at Marquette, but it's not the only thing we do.

Desert Eagle I think you meant:

OH BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 03:05:29 PM »
This is from last season, but I can't imagine much has changed.     You guys whine about not being able to fill up a 4,000 seat student section when Duke and their fabled "Cameron Crazies" can't get 1,200 to half their games. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3100960

People are goofing on others for saying "Well, you guys just like telling people how great you had it back in the day when you were here and how you think everything was better."       I'm here to tell you how great you have it here now.  I've been pretty proud of the student section every time I've driven up to see a game this year. 

It's simply not with in the realm of being reasonable to expect a full house in the student section for every game.  Yes, there were a handful of us here that post at this forum dedicated to MU bball that went to every game.   That passion does not convey to the casual fan when they have other things on their plate.    Simply by being a Student Season ticket holder does not make someone a great fan, but it's nice to have them whenever possible

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
When it comes down to it, students should get their butts into the gym for every game.  I don't care if they're playing Marathon Oil, the power of a well-attended and energetic student section cannot be ignored.
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

LON

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
This is from last season, but I can't imagine much has changed.     You guys whine about not being able to fill up a 4,000 seat student section when Duke and their fabled "Cameron Crazies" can't get 1,200 to half their games. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3100960

People are goofing on others for saying "Well, you guys just like telling people how great you had it back in the day when you were here and how you think everything was better."       I'm here to tell you how great you have it here now.  I've been pretty proud of the student section every time I've driven up to see a game this year. 

It's simply not with in the realm of being reasonable to expect a full house in the student section for every game.  Yes, there were a handful of us here that post at this forum dedicated to MU bball that went to every game.   That passion does not convey to the casual fan when they have other things on their plate.    Simply by being a Student Season ticket holder does not make someone a great fan, but it's nice to have them whenever possible

My issue isn't with filling it completely up on Tuesday, I know that's going to be tough unless it's a very highly rated opponent or rival.

I don't know if you saw it on Tuesday though, there was barely ANYONE in the upper level student section and the lower bowl section wasn't nearly full as well.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »
So it's ok to demonstrate school spirit, only when it falls in line with your priorities?

Who ever said that attending Marquette basketball games is the only way to show school spirit? How do you know that the activities they are doing that keeps them from attending games is not how they show their pride in their school?

Quite a few times through my time at Marquette, I would have to attend state, regional and national conferences that meant I would miss games - and everytime, it gave me the ability to showcase my pride and school spirit to other schools nationwide.

Men's basketball games represent the one time the student body can come together in large numbers to show their spirit and represent the school....not to mention have a great time.   I wouldn't expect all the students to be lined up for 6 hours with their faces painted before every game...but, honestly, students now don't know how good they have it with this team. 

If we can't get students into the upper level for a conference game when we're ranked 10th in the country after 3 consecutive NCAA appearances how are things going be next year when we'll be forturnate to be in the bubble or NIT conversations?

Again, the studying argument doesn't work, it's 3 hours out of a day.  If kids can't move their club meeting to accomodate a game then so be it and I'm pretty sure there's not a 7pm mass on Tuesday nights.  To me it's indifference....which is hard to understand given the success of the team, the fun had while attending games, etc.

I agree that there are few events where Marquette as a whole can come together as one, but basketball games are by no means the only (Hunger Cleanup, Mass of the Holy Spirit, Al's Run, etc). I agree that students don't know what they have in this team...but at the same time, by saying that, they didn't know what they had in 02-03 - we have already passed the total season attendance from that entire season and with only 30k more this season, this season will be the most attended season of all time (yes I realize that takes all seats into account, but the students are a big chunk of that seating).

I do not agree with you thinking that indifference is the cause of them not going to games. On any given game night, there are probably close to 50 other things that any given student could choose to do that is related to Marquette. Just because you have the most fun attending a game does not mean that everyone else does. While they care about the game and the team, they get more enjoyment and fun (and, yes, may even feel they are showing more school spirit) out of another activity.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
Oh the good ole days.... I genuinely want to barf.

A previous poster nailed it on the head. MU students aren't satisfied with a 2.5 anymore. This school is trying to do something more than produce a good basketball team. If you haven't noticed, the school itself is moving up the academic rankings just as fast as the basketball team.

And stop calling this a "Big East" game. St. Johns vs Depaul is a Big East game, do you want to go see that. Quit being shell shocked by the BEast. Call it what it was, a game against a crapty crapty Seton Hall team.

For whoever posted that they were a MU grad in 06 and they "did it better"...that is a joke. I came here in 05 and can say that is 100% not true.

I apologize that you guys miss your college days, but please, dont feel sorry for us. We are having more than our share of fun, getting good grades, and FILING the Bradley Center with regularity.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »

A previous poster nailed it on the head. MU students aren't satisfied with a 2.5 anymore. This school is trying to do something more than produce a good basketball team. If you haven't noticed, the school itself is moving up the academic rankings just as fast as the basketball team.

And stop calling this a "Big East" game. St. Johns vs Depaul is a Big East game, do you want to go see that. Quit being shell shocked by the BEast. Call it what it was, a game against a crapty crapty Seton Hall team.

For whoever posted that they were a MU grad in 06 and they "did it better"...that is a joke. I came here in 05 and can say that is 100% not true.

I apologize that you guys miss your college days, but please, dont feel sorry for us. We are having more than our share of fun, getting good grades, and FILING the Bradley Center with regularity.

Filling the Bradley  Center with regularity??.....Hardly!

2000 seats max for the students and you'll still fill the seats for only 2-4 games a year.

romey

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »

I'm sorry, I can't resist............  Maybe you should study even more, so you can learn how to spell.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
Filling the Bradley  Center with regularity??.....Hardly!

2000 seats max for the students and you'll still fill the seats for only 2-4 games a year.

The student section is approximately 4,500.  Right now I would say it's almost completely filled at least 5 times a year if not more (I can't go to every game because I live in Chicago).  The lower level of the student section is probably almost 2,000 and that's filled almost every game I would venture to say.

I'm not sure why this topic always comes up.  Do you think if the student section was smaller that those tickets would be bought by other fans?  I think that's highly doubtful.  The attendance of the student section tends to correlate with the attendance for the rest of the seats sans season ticket holders.  For big games, the student section is packed as is the rest of the Bradley Center.  For lower games the student section attendance is down as is the rest of the arena.  I think the size and location of the student section is good right now. 

Some of you can chrip all you want about how you went to every game when you were there but I guarantee student attendance is higher now than it was during most of the 80's and 90's.  Heck, I know itss higher than when I first started going to games (2001) when I could walk in just before tip and get a lower level seat for most games with the exception of Cincy and Louisville.  Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the fact that the team has experinced sustained success.

In my opinion both the "student section sucks" and "the student section should be bigger"/"the student section should be moved to surround the court" are dumb threads.  Unless the students start having significantly better/worse attendance there is no reason to change the current placement of the student section.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
You're right, I actually spelled "crappy" wrong. No no...not a typo. I'm an idiot.

Regardless, I feel that last point is almost too good and too thorough to argue against. Very well put.

Also, why was the Duke Cameron Crazy article on the first page just swept under the rug? That is the best student section the nation isn't it?

"What? Wait a second....they don't fill out there much smaller student section? Well that takes away merit for our current MU student bashing, lets not address it at all."

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
My issue isn't with filling it completely up on Tuesday, I know that's going to be tough unless it's a very highly rated opponent or rival.

I don't know if you saw it on Tuesday though, there was barely ANYONE in the upper level student section and the lower bowl section wasn't nearly full as well.

Here's the picture I took from my seats:  http://twitpic.com/1jo4s
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:30 PM »
I'm sorry, I can't resist............  Maybe you should study even more, so you can learn how to spell.

He didn't spell anything wrong "crapty" is an autocorrect from sh*tty.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »
in three months when i graduate i don't plan on criticizing for the most part casual student fans who don't feel the need to go to a crummy game on a week night...a $4.88 ticket i remind you. maybe if tickets were pricier, students would feel more obligated to go to a game they otherwise wouldn't, but in that case they probably wouldn't buy tickets in the first place. so you tell me what would be best.
its selfish and stupid for people to criticize others and take offense for not going to a basketball game. i see the "when i was a student...." personal narratives as negatively and as circular as some see the "other priorities" argument. i guess it does offend some enough to make such a big deal about it though. i mean i thought it was a personal decision, but i guess buying a student ticket is a binding contract according to some.
i personally haven't missed a home game other than winter break games, but thats just me. i'm not going to crap on people who have other things to do or simply don't want to.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:09:23 AM by muhoosier260 »

romey

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2009, 07:33:18 AM »
He didn't spell anything wrong "crapty" is an autocorrect from sh*tty.

How about "filing" the Bradley center?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
How about "filing" the Bradley center?

There has probably been some DEfiling of the BC.