[Today at 10:56:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night  (Read 15637 times)

1617novakn

• Walk-On
Re: Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
IDo you think Buzz Williams is retarded? I think if Steph Curry has the ability to put up 30-40 while being double covered, he may find a way to feed him the rock in our system.

Also, why are you ragging on him for shooting too much? The kid makes the shots when defenses spend the entire game trying to stop him and ONLY him. If a defense had to worry about Steph, Jerel, Wes, and Lazar - I dare say that we would not lose a game. (Maybe the Nova game just because they put up 102).

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »
welcome to the conversation Wareagle, I think you just might have a brain! Sure is nice eh?

Btw, to the joke who transposed DJ's shot attempts on Steph's averages. Lets do it the other way around. What if DJ shot as much as Steph? He would get killed on campus. Literally killed.

DJ's shot attempts are controlled by his lack of a jump shot, not the system of competition.

From here on out, no one is allowed to talk about weak competition unless you can explain to me how he scored 44 against Oklahoma this year. Or how he lead his team to the tourney run will averagin 30+ against zaga, wisconsin, G-town, and kansas. He is an equal opportunity sharp shooter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
Someone's got a man crush!

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »
BTW to all of the posters out there that say Steph is not a real PG because he is a scorer just as much as a passer.

CP3 = 21 ppg

Deron Williams = 19.3 ppg.

They are also the NBA's number 1 and 2 assist men and unequivocally the two best young PG's. Care to elaborate on that argument at all?

I will enter my stock response to anything that you say...Remember that Steph Curry has more assists per game with much much inferior teammates.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
IDo you think Buzz Williams is retarded? I think if Steph Curry has the ability to put up 30-40 while being double covered, he may find a way to feed him the rock in our system.

Also, why are you ragging on him for shooting too much? The kid makes the shots when defenses spend the entire game trying to stop him and ONLY him. If a defense had to worry about Steph, Jerel, Wes, and Lazar - I dare say that we would not lose a game. (Maybe the Nova game just because they put up 102).

So your theory is that Williams would find a way to get Curry "30-40?"  Therefore he'd have to take shots from someone right?  Who do you want him to take them from?  McNeal?  Matthews?  Hayward?  They all shoot better than Curry does now...that doesn't seem to make much sense.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:37:49 PM by Shankapotamus »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
welcome to the conversation Wareagle, I think you just might have a brain! Sure is nice eh?

Btw, to the joke who transposed DJ's shot attempts on Steph's averages. Lets do it the other way around. What if DJ shot as much as Steph? He would get killed on campus. Literally killed.

DJ's shot attempts are controlled by his lack of a jump shot, not the system of competition.

From here on out, no one is allowed to talk about weak competition unless you can explain to me how he scored 44 against Oklahoma this year. Or how he lead his team to the tourney run will averagin 30+ against zaga, wisconsin, G-town, and kansas. He is an equal opportunity sharp shooter

DJ would be averaging 23.9 with Curry's attempts.  8th in the country.  He'd be a legend.

And please stop calling Curry a "sharpshooter."  That is laughable considering his shooting percentage.  He's a scorer who gets streaky occasionally.

And definately *not* a BE caliber point guard.

Pardner

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
If folks want to envision life without DJ, hearken back last year to the home Louisville game when we was ill and didn't start...brutal.  DJ is a freak athlete and is the engine on both sides of the ball (something Curry cannot claim).  He may have a bad half but it doesn't affect his entire game.  Put him on UNC with all that talent and Dookie V proclaims him a god.  If MU had a true 5, this contest wouldn't even be close.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »
you seem to be "glossing over" the fact that Steph gets his numbers when defense try to do one thing...stop him. What do you think DJ's shooting percentage would be if the defense keyed in on trying to stop him. He is our 4th option, not exactly the focus of anyone's defense.

Show any other fan in the nation this conversation and they would laugh everyone out of the room. I am almost embarassed that you feel this way - our 11 ppg 5 assist PG is better than a first team all american at the same position. Sports writers are smart people, why isn't DJ a first team all american?

Never mind, this really isn't worth it. Dominic James is better than Steph Curry because DJ plays in the big east. As much as it genuinely pains me to say this, talk to me about competition when Steph Curry is an NBA starter in 5 years and DJ is in the NBDL. I wish to god he could make it in the NBA, but I am more of a realist.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
talk to me about competition when Steph Curry is an NBA starter in 5 years and DJ is in the NBDL. I wish to god he could make it in the NBA, but I am more of a realist.

College success =/= NBA success. You know that.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »
It is relevant when you are playing the "small school" card and claiming the Curry can not do it against an elite level.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 11:43:30 PM »
It is relevant when you are playing the "small school" card and claiming the Curry can not do it against an elite level.

No, it isn't. Projecting who will have the better NBA career has absolutely nothing to do with who is a better fit for this MU team.

Besides, who's to say that Curry won't be the next Adam Morrison/JJ Redick; i.e. PHENOMENAL college players who have yet to find their way in the Association?

So, like I said: college success =/= NBA success. You know that.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
It gets to the point where you (posters who believe MU is better with Dom than Steph Curry) are so wrong, it literally is not worth it anymore to continue. I think I have reached that point.

By the way, any of you guys want to get into a NCAA tournament pool. You are exactly the kind of people that pick MU to win it all every year, should be easy money.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
Someone's got a man crush!

man crush might be an understatement. i think steph may want to think of preemptive restraining order.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »
It gets to the point where you (posters who believe MU is better with Dom than Steph Curry) are so wrong, it literally is not worth it anymore to continue. I think I have reached that point.

By the way, any of you guys want to get into a NCAA tournament pool. You are exactly the kind of people that pick MU to win it all every year, should be easy money.

You're like the kid that takes his ball and storms home to his mommy just because you didn't get your way.

Instead of continuing a discussion with a counterpoint or evidence, you claim that everyone else is an idiot and that arguing with them is pointless.  It's a big waste of words when you could have just as easily typed, "whatever" or "no u."

Opinions are just that.  Claiming that someone else's opinion is patently incorrect without evidence that proves otherwise is usually a tell that you're either arguing for the sake of arguing, or you're a little brat that's used to getting his way and when he doesn't he storms off.  This forum may be filled with fans, but the people also tend to be relatively intelligent (save a few poor souls).  If you want to prove a point in the future it would help if you came with a level head and posted facts to bolster your argument.  Attempts to tear down someone else's arguments with insults to their intelligence and bravado are a crutch for the weak minded. 

Again, I'm not trying to say that  you're wrong in your arguments.  I'm just trying to point out that there are more efficient and respectable ways to prove your point.  That being said; this is the Internet and you could be a 13 year old for all I know, so keep on doing whatever makes me happy.  I'm just trying to pass the time at work :p

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 10:53:48 AM »
You need to see my point. To a point, "facts" and "evidence" mean absolutely nothing to some people. The only "facts" I get in rebuttal yo my arguement is:

A: Curry plays against worse competition
B: DJ has a better assist to turnover
C: Curry only scores because he shoots too much and his percentage isn't great

My direct responses were as follows

A: He lits up the very best team in the country when he plays them. 44 against OKLA and NC State. 30+ average in the NCAA's last year.
B: I concede that point, and counter argue that the other statistics that Curry dwarfs DJ in overcome 1 more assist/TO per game. Also, Dom has 3 future NBA players to pass to.
C: Curry plays every game with 5 guys trying to stop him and only him. Yet, he overcomes that EVERY game and shoots better than DJ, who is the 4th scoring option on his team. DJ's shots are either wide open 3's, layups off of a nice drive, or some sort of combination of unnecessary runners/forced 15 footers.

If you want to talk about facts, lets talk about these. Lets talk about Curry leading a group of nobodys to the elite 8. Or the fact that he almost triples DJ's scoring. Keep telling me 1 assts/TO per game nullifies 19 points per game. When you say that, I become ignorant and refuse to talk about facts.

And for the record, the only reason I talk about Curry is because I gave a list of 11 PG's better than DJ and for WHATEVER reasons, the board felt the need to start at the TOP with the ebst PG and start arguing. This started out arguing that DJ was better than TY Lawson, but when a "fact" was thrown out that Lawson acutally shoots much better than DJ, that argument stopped. Funny how a DJ Truther prviously claimed Lawson shoots worse. God I love your "facts?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »
Listen son...you need to go back and re-read what I have been saying the entire thread.

DJ is a better *point guard* than Curry is.  That is all I have ever stated.  Curry may very well be a better overall player.  Curry may well have a better NBA career.  But if I am picking a college *point guard* to lead my team, I'm sticking with DJ.  He turns the ball over less, he is a great defender, and he's done it for three years at the highest level.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
by page 3 you would think that there would just be an agreement to disagree...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »
Geeze this is out of hand.  Both players have very different roles for very different teams.  Curry is supposed to score, and he does.  DJ is supposed to run the offense and facilitate the game not only for himself but for the other players on the court.  For Curry, his most important stat is points.  For DJ, it may well be Assists/ turnovers.  Different players, different roles, different teams.  Both very good at what they do.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »
If you want to talk about facts, lets talk about these. Lets talk about Curry leading a group of nobodys to the elite 8. Or the fact that he almost triples DJ's scoring. Keep telling me 1 assts/TO per game nullifies 19 points per game. When you say that, I become ignorant and refuse to talk about facts.

And for the record, the only reason I talk about Curry is because I gave a list of 11 PG's better than DJ and for WHATEVER reasons, the board felt the need to start at the TOP with the ebst PG and start arguing. This started out arguing that DJ was better than TY Lawson, but when a "fact" was thrown out that Lawson acutally shoots much better than DJ, that argument stopped. Funny how a DJ Truther prviously claimed Lawson shoots worse. God I love your "facts?

I wasn't trying to say that you didn't use any facts.  I'm trying to explain that when you surround your facts with opinions and bravado that it significantly cheapens your logical argument.

"DJ Truther?"  Really?  Take your impassioned ranting elsewhere and treat people with respect.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
I am messing with you. I mean, I truly believe 100% what I say - I just like to me more jovial about it. Admit it....DJ Truther was pretty funny.

Quick response to the poster just above who said you cant compare apples (DJ) and oranges (Curry) because they have different roles, being a scorer and a more "true" assist/PG man. Well Curry actually averages more assists and steals, so he does pretty decent outside of his "role". It would be more truthful to say his role is to "do everything".

In response to Skanasaurus - I will concede your point. DJ is a better defender and assist/TO guy. Yes. In my opinion, you - and other posters on this board - have formulated your opinion of what a "great" point guard is around what you have seen our great point guard doing the last 3 years, dishing and playing D. It is great what you he has done and I am thankful he played here, but there is more to be desired from - what you call - a top 3 PG in the country.

Look at the past Cousy award winners. DJ Augustin, Acie Law, Dee Brown, Raymond Felton, Jameer Nelson....would you describe these guys as being strictly assist/TO guys and defensive stoppers? No, they bring an extra wrinkle to the game that puts them above, their scoring ability. They had it, CP3 and Deron Williams have it, these are the greatest model of great point guards. I think the torch was passed this year in the Olympics, when Jason Kidd was laughably put on the team (just assist guy) but CP3 and Deron were the true PG's.

Like I said, I respect your point but you need to understand that a great point guard does more than get assists and not turn the ball over. I mean, 5.4 assists isn't ridiculously high, his strength is the assists/TO stat is his low turnovers, which is the first thing you ask for in a PG, not the only thing.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
I am messing with you. I mean, I truly believe 100% what I say - I just like to me more jovial about it. Admit it....DJ Truther was pretty funny.

It's the internet.  When you have a presupposition that someone's being a jerk, you read their posts like they're being a jerk intentionally.  If you were trying to be lighthearted, then yes it was funny :P  I suppose that I read a few too many political forums where calling someone a "truther" is a very serious personal attack on one's character, lol.

Nice post btw.  I may not agree with you 100%, but without the extracurricular jabs it's much easier to see your point clearly :)

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
extracurricular jabs is what message boards are built on! haha

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »
and I would like to reiterate, I love DJ and thank god he chose to play her. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him play and we would not be where we are without him. I wish him all the luck.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
I wasn't saying you can't compare them at all.  I was saying they both do what their teams need them to do.  Stop projecting stupid notions on me.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
I personally think what you say is a "stupid notion" so I am sorry that I got it confused.

DJ plays his "role" because that is all that he can do.

Curry plays DJ's role (more assits per game with worse teammates-albeit more TO's- and more steals if you want to talk about defense) and he plays his own, which is 30 ppg.

DJ is not playing a "role" he is doing what he is capable of doing. His skill set does not allow him to do anything more than he is currently doing. He is not a good enough finisher or shooter to score more points per game. When you use the term "role" as in "playing his role" than you hint that the player can do things other than what he is doing, but for the betterment of the team, he narrows it down to only a couple of the best things. Take Jimmy Butler, he was a scorer in Juco - now he plays within his role. We have seen flashes of his ability to score, but he helps the team more by playing his role.

Dom cannot do anymore than he does. When he tries to do more than dish and facilitate he goes 1-9 from 3's. His game is dictated by his limitations. Steph Curry has the same "role" as James does, they both hand out assists and run the offense. Curry is just able to do it as good, and more.