collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90067 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 01, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
Just thought I'd mention something about the Cubs.  I've been laid up recovering from a kidney transplant (I highly recommend Yale if you ever have to do something like that), and I've watched pretty much every inning of playoff game since during most of the playoffs I wasn't able to do much but rest.  I have been working some from home the past few weeks, but this week is my first back in the office (today is 5 weeks since the transplant.)

At any rate, whoever is responsible for defensive positioning for the Cubs is amazing.  Throughout the playoffs, I have been very impressed by the number of hard hit balls by the Cubs opposition that have been hit right at someone.  Their pitchers rightly get a lot of credit because they are good, but besides being good defensive players, that team seems to be in the right place all the time.  I think that gives a big boost to the low ERAs their started have.  As an American League fan, I haven't seen the Cubs much during the season, but is that the norm or have the playoffs been unusual?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #451 on: November 01, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
Just thought I'd mention something about the Cubs.  I've been laid up recovering from a kidney transplant (I highly recommend Yale if you ever have to do something like that), and I've watched pretty much every inning of playoff game since during most of the playoffs I wasn't able to do much but rest.  I have been working some from home the past few weeks, but this week is my first back in the office (today is 5 weeks since the transplant.)

At any rate, whoever is responsible for defensive positioning for the Cubs is amazing.  Throughout the playoffs, I have been very impressed by the number of hard hit balls by the Cubs opposition that have been hit right at someone.  Their pitchers rightly get a lot of credit because they are good, but besides being good defensive players, that team seems to be in the right place all the time.  I think that gives a big boost to the low ERAs their started have.  As an American League fan, I haven't seen the Cubs much during the season, but is that the norm or have the playoffs been unusual?

It's been the norm throughout the season.  According to Fangraphs they had by far the highest defensive runs saved in baseball at 82 (the Astros were second at 51). 

They don't shift a ton but the positioning has been very good.  They also have some naturally gifted defensive players and versatility. 

Their staff also does an excellent job at inducing soft contact, which contributes to the very low BABIP. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #452 on: November 01, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »

And glad to hear your surgery went well!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #453 on: November 01, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »
Here's to a speedy recovery CTWarrior!

Prediction time!

Unfortunately, I think the Indians are going to get it done tonight. I like Schwarber hitting #2 and hope his magic continues but I'm afraid that there are just too many cold bats for the Cubs. Game 5 was a lot of fun, but looking at it closer, the Cubs had 5 of their 7 hits in one inning and did basically nothing otherwise. It should be another low-scoring game and I hope Arrieta is on tonight but I just think Tomlin and his curveball will do enough to get it to the bullpen - wouldn't surprise me to see Miller and Allen go the final 4+ innings tonight if Cleveland has a lead.

Indians 3, Cubs 1

That said, if the Cubs win tonight...Game 7: Cubs 10, Indians 8  ;)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
Here's to a speedy recovery CTWarrior!

Prediction time!

Unfortunately, I think the Indians are going to get it done tonight. I like Schwarber hitting #2 and hope his magic continues but I'm afraid that there are just too many cold bats for the Cubs. Game 5 was a lot of fun, but looking at it closer, the Cubs had 5 of their 7 hits in one inning and did basically nothing otherwise. It should be another low-scoring game and I hope Arrieta is on tonight but I just think Tomlin and his curveball will do enough to get it to the bullpen - wouldn't surprise me to see Miller and Allen go the final 4+ innings tonight if Cleveland has a lead.

Indians 3, Cubs 1

That said, if the Cubs win tonight...Game 7: Cubs 10, Indians 8  ;)

Cubs get to Tomlin early and win 5-2, forcing an insane game 7. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »
You should have said "no live animals".

C'mon, chili, you're making me feel worse and worse about myself. Don't bring me down in what once was my only 'safe space".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
Koufax became Koufax when the Dodgers moved into Dodger Stadium with its ridiculously high mound.  Prior to that he had been pitching in some great hitters parks in Brooklyn and in the old park in LA where they used to do Home Run Derby.

This would be a good point ... if it were true.

Koufax was still nothing special the first several years in L.A. For example, in 1960 (the Dodgers' third season in L.A. and his sixth as a big-leaguer), he was 8-13 with a 3.91 ERA, 197 strikeouts and 100 walks. Even the following year, when he went 18-13, he had a 3.52 ERA and walked 96.

It was when he realized that he didn't have to throw the baseball a bazillion mph on every pitch and learned how to pitch rather than throw that he truly became the Koufax of baseball lore.

In his final 5 seasons (1962-66), Koufax went 111-34 with a 1.95 ERA and a .0926 WHIP. Yes, the high mound had much to do with it, and yes so did pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium, but none of the other Dodger pitchers (not even Drysdale) were putting up Koufax's insane numbers. Mostly, it was his ability to harness his incredible stuff that made him what we all think of when we talk about Koufax. He averaged only 63 walks in an average of 275 IP those last 5 years.

P.S.: Glad your kidney transplant went well. I wish you a full, speedy recovery, my fellow Nutmeg Stater!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #457 on: November 01, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »
This would be a good point ... if it were true.

Koufax was still nothing special the first several years in L.A. For example, in 1960 (the Dodgers' third season in L.A. and his sixth as a big-leaguer), he was 8-13 with a 3.91 ERA, 197 strikeouts and 100 walks. Even the following year, when he went 18-13, he had a 3.52 ERA and walked 96.

It was when he realized that he didn't have to throw the baseball a bazillion mph on every pitch and learned how to pitch rather than throw that he truly became the Koufax of baseball lore.

In his final 5 seasons (1962-66), Koufax went 111-34 with a 1.95 ERA and a .0926 WHIP. Yes, the high mound had much to do with it, and yes so did pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium, but none of the other Dodger pitchers (not even Drysdale) were putting up Koufax's insane numbers. Mostly, it was his ability to harness his incredible stuff that made him what we all think of when we talk about Koufax. He averaged only 63 walks in an average of 275 IP those last 5 years.

P.S.: Glad your kidney transplant went well. I wish you a full, speedy recovery, my fellow Nutmeg Stater!

Bullcrap. PEDs

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2016, 04:50:50 PM »
C'mon, chili, you're making me feel worse and worse about myself. Don't bring me down in what once was my only 'safe space".

Lenny, just looking out for you.  If you weren't that specific, who knows what ZFB or 'Never would show up with.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:39:11 PM by real chili 83 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »
I think the warm weather could help the Cubs' cold bats. As a team, they're oddly better able to take advantage of AL rules than Cleveland due to Schwarber.

I don't know what happens tonight, and any pick I make will be colored by my fandom. I just want a game 7 and something to watch tomorrow.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »
Lenny, just looking out for you.  If you weren't that specific, who knows what ZFB or 'Never would show up with.

LOL - good point.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #461 on: November 01, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »
Good start, though runners on is where the Cubs have struggled. One run is good, but they need to do damage before Miller comes in.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #462 on: November 01, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »
Wow, what a mistake.  :o

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #463 on: November 01, 2016, 07:22:07 PM »
Me likeee

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #464 on: November 01, 2016, 07:22:52 PM »
Pretty sophisticated, eh ^^^^^

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #465 on: November 01, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »
This is going well

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #466 on: November 01, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »
Big being able to hand Arrieta a three run lead. Hope he's dialed in. And man, Baez makes it look so easy out there.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #467 on: November 01, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »
Si

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #468 on: November 01, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
Lindor is juicing.....his do.  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #469 on: November 01, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »
Just wonderful.

Crowd sound more Cubs than injuns.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #470 on: November 01, 2016, 08:16:18 PM »
Just wonderful.

Crowd sound more Cubs than injuns.

I thought the the same when Russell drilled that grand slam. If the Cubs hold on, I hope Arrieta can go deep and spare the pen.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #471 on: November 01, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
That drum beat is kinda odd.  Perhaps in person it has more "ambiance ".

tower912

• All American
« Reply #472 on: November 01, 2016, 08:34:16 PM »
Tiger fan wants to warn that Cleveland is hard to put away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #473 on: November 01, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
I really hope we don't see Chapman brought in for no reason.

Up by 5 in the seventh? Sorry, but what the f___?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #474 on: November 01, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
Play for tonight. Don't worry about tomorrow.

feedback