'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noreen visiting Oklahoma  (Read 5449 times)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Noreen visiting Oklahoma
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
Didn't see this posted anywhere else...apologies if I am duplicating old news.

"GopherIllustrated.com reports that 2010 Minnesota Mr. Basketball Kevin Noreen of Minnesota Transitions is visiting Oklahoma this week and that he turned down a take-it-or-leave-it offer from Marquette while on a visit there. Meanwhile, the Gophers have not offered Noreen a scholarship."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:15:22 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Noreen visiting Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:59:06 PM »
What's take it or leave it offer?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
Maybe a take the offer or we will give it to someone else who happened to be Gardner.  It sure looked like we strung out Gardner as long as we could.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »

Gardner wanted to come here.  MU would have preferred Noreen but weren't going to sit around and wait for him because Gardner was going to take the USF offer.  When he refused the take it or leave it, MU offered Gardner.

IOW, no one else is leaving.

That's how I interpret it.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »

At the time this is what I assumed was going on by reading between the lines, and it seems to be the case. Gardner wanted to come to MU, but its likely that Buzz preferred Noreen and Dieng. They both visited, one chose UL, the other wasn't ready to commit to MU, and Buzz offered Gardner who had been patiently waiting

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out... Hopefully for MU Gardner plays with a chip on his shoulder and ends up being better than both Dieng and Noreen. We shall see in the future

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
who else was interested in gardener?? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
who else was interested in gardener?? 

South Florida had an offer on the table for him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
If correct, I think it was played correctly.  I was very excited about noreen, even more so than dieng, but it was not worth risking losing gardner just to be on noreens short list.  I don't think we can overestimate how crucial it will be to finally have one player as physical as gardner who can take the opposing wide bodies off crowder and butler so they aren't worn down.  I wish lazar had had the benefit of gardner last year.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
At the time this is what I assumed was going on by reading between the lines, and it seems to be the case. Gardner wanted to come to MU, but its likely that Buzz preferred Noreen and Dieng. They both visited, one chose UL, the other wasn't ready to commit to MU, and Buzz offered Gardner who had been patiently waiting

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out... Hopefully for MU Gardner plays with a chip on his shoulder and ends up being better than both Dieng and Noreen. We shall see in the future

This is exactly how I see this, as well.  Interestingly enough, Rivals now shows Noreen and Marquette with an interest level of "NONE".  This was not the case a couple weeks ago.  I believe that ship sailed the minute he left town.  Incidently, I believe Buzz handled the situation perfectly.  We want players who want to be at Marquette, period.  If you allow certain players to string you along, chances are good you'll be left holding the bag.  After the Gardner commit, I believe we are done for 2010.  And, I am very pleased with how things turned out.

BTW, Kevin.  It is now May, make up your mind already.  School starts SOON, where ever that may be.  ?-(

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
I cannot believe Tubby hasnt offered the kid... Its also hard to believe that for someone with such a bright future (maybe more so with the education route rather than the basketball route) Noreen still hasn't decided where he is going

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:03 PM »
If he ends up at Oklahoma, I think someone should look into that ACT score.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »

Gardner wanted to come here.  MU would have preferred Noreen but weren't going to sit around and wait for him because Gardner was going to take the USF offer.  When he refused the take it or leave it, MU offered Gardner.

IOW, no one else is leaving.

That's how I interpret it.

I'm almost 100% sure Gardner's and Noreen's decisions weren't dependent on each other so Marquette would have signed both.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:04:00 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
If you state an opinion with almost 100% certainty, you may want to offer some supporting evidence.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 09:43:04 PM »
If you state an opinion with almost 100% certainty, you may want to offer some supporting evidence.

They play two different positions and evidently MU is still recruiting for 2010.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
They play two different positions and evidently MU is still recruiting for 2010.

People have said this, but where's the evidence of this? No one was brought in over the weekend that anyone was aware of on here. Haven't heard of any new offers or targets. In fact, when Gardner was signed, someone inside of the program indicated that someone was going to prep school, so it's clear we don't have any space available.

In Buzz's system so far, we've generally seen a 3-guard/2-forward setup, and both Gardner and Noreen would fit the role of forward. Not the same type of players, but in the past two years, probably would have played inside roles primarily.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »

Since Gardner's committment things have quieted considerably.  The late signing period ends in just over a week.  If we were still actively recruiting 2010, I would expect more speculation, innuendo and rumor.  I'd be shocked if we signed anyone else at this point.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
We are still recruiting 2010.  According to Rivals, Chipola JC forward Steadman Short visited MU on Friday.  He was committed to Marshall until their coach left, and prior to JUCO, he spent his freshman year at High Point under current MU assistant Bart Lundy, but left HP when Lundy left. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
bma, do you have any idea what the motivation is behind that? From what I've seen, Maryland and Ole Miss are also recruiting Short, so he's probably at least a decent prospect, but with a team that looks so settled and no more rumors of anyone leaving, why are we continuing to recruit with just a week to go? Do you think there's something out there that we don't know about?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »
bma, do you have any idea what the motivation is behind that? From what I've seen, Maryland and Ole Miss are also recruiting Short, so he's probably at least a decent prospect, but with a team that looks so settled and no more rumors of anyone leaving, why are we continuing to recruit with just a week to go? Do you think there's something out there that we don't know about?

Consider me shocked. 

Bma,
Rivals has MU with high interest and an offer to Short.  Also, confirms that he visited on 5/7.  Maryland and Ole Miss are the only other schools listed, with Med interest.
If short were to sign, do you see a second freshman going prep?  I hope we do not have a transfer on our hands.

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:38 AM »
do we need this guy? more to the point, do we need this guy at the expense of one of our own?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 06:52:27 AM »
Consider me shocked. 

Bma,
Rivals has MU with high interest and an offer to Short.  Also, confirms that he visited on 5/7.  Maryland and Ole Miss are the only other schools listed, with Med interest.
If short were to sign, do you see a second freshman going prep?  I hope we do not have a transfer on our hands.

If we sign someone else, it won't be because another freshman is going the prep route....unless something completely out of the blue happens in terms of academics.

Wouldn't put too much stock in Rivals saying there's high interest and an offer.

feedback