Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A-10 gets 6 bids? Big East 4 (sorry didn't see Xavier)  (Read 9508 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: A-10 gets 6 bids? Big East 4 (sorry didn't see Xavier)
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »
Weak league!!

2 good teams
5 mediocre teams that all could have won the A10
3 bad teams

FIFY

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »
Can it happen? Sure, anything's possible. But it's a long shot. Who will be surprised? I will, Rob Jeter will, his players will and anyone who knows anything about basketball and the laws of probability will. As a matter of fact, you might be the only one who isn't.

Well, I called FGCU over G'Town last year, so maybe the laws aren't understood by all.   ;D

I need to study it for the next few days, I'm not picking anything yet. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »

Care to address the reality that there are 5 Sub 100 teams in the A-10, while Big East has 1?  And Dayton piled up 6 wins against those Sub 100 A-10 teams...and not to mention the 3 losses to Sub 100 teams...MU had ZERO losses against Sub 100 teams per Ken Pom...

Nope.  I don't at all.  I'm not saying it is a power conference.  There is a lot of crap at the bottom for sure.  I'm saying Dayton played well enough to be one of the last teams in.  There are solid teams in the A 10 as well.  Dayton beat most of them at one point. They don't have a great resume, but an 11 seed?  Sure.    

Its fun to say MU didn't lose to a team worse than 100 in Kenpom.  But that seems to mean absolutely nothing.  We lost to a few teams with RPI above 100.  That seems to matter. 

MU had 5 top 100 RPI wins.  Dayton had 10.  That is a pretty significant disparity.  MU also had 14 losses to that same group, Dayton had 7.  So they were 10-7 vs RPI top 100 and MU was 5-14.  

SMU had 19 of their 23 wins against teams with an RPI above 100, and 3 losses worse than Dayton's 3 bad losses (including a loss to RPI 227 -- Georgetowns loss to N'eastern is 221).  SMU also ended their season with a loss to a team with and RPI in the 140s.  They had less good wins and just as many bad losses.  They had a SOS of 137.  Its nice they were ranked, but every one knows that doesn't mean anything.  Here is the proof.  

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
As a current Dayton flyer senior who goes to every Marquette game when in town I think Dayton deserves to be in.  I have been a huge Marquette fan all my life and will always be. In the beginning of the year I laughed at my flyer friends who said Dayton was better than Marquette. As I watched all season both teams play (obviously if they played at the same time I would watch Marquette over Dayton) I do think Dayton is better than Marquette. They are very athletic and can really shoot the three. I always think Marquette can beat anyone on any day, due to the coaching and how tough we are, I think Dayton would beat us this year as sad as that makes me. They have a great fan base and I do think they would be a nice member in our conference

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 11:47:23 PM »
Well, I called FGCU over G'Town last year, so maybe the laws aren't understood by all.   ;D

I need to study it for the next few days, I'm not picking anything yet. 

My upset calls, 2 of the 3, VCU, Wisconsin and Iowa State do not make it out of the first round.

Stephen F. Austin is used to winning and VCU is over-rated.

American excels at efficiency on offense and sharing the ball, they will penetrate and dish and take advantage of UW's weakness.  UW comes out shooting cold and leaves in a hurry.

Iowa State draws a NCCU team that causes turnovers at will, Hoiberg's club will turn it over too much and leave early.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »
Nope.  I don't at all.  I'm not saying it is a power conference.  There is a lot of crap at the bottom for sure.  I'm saying Dayton played well enough to be one of the last teams in.  There are solid teams in the A 10 as well.  Dayton beat most of them at one point. They don't have a great resume, but an 11 seed?  Sure.    

Its fun to say MU didn't lose to a team worse than 100 in Kenpom.  But that seems to mean absolutely nothing.  We lost to a few teams with RPI above 100.  That seems to matter. 

MU had 5 top 100 RPI wins.  Dayton had 10.  That is a pretty significant disparity.  MU also had 14 losses to that same group, Dayton had 7.  So they were 10-7 vs RPI top 100 and MU was 5-14.  

SMU had 19 of their 23 wins against teams with an RPI above 100, and 3 losses worse than Dayton's 3 bad losses (including a loss to RPI 227 -- Georgetowns loss to N'eastern is 221).  SMU also ended their season with a loss to a team with and RPI in the 140s.  They had less good wins and just as many bad losses.  They had a SOS of 137.  Its nice they were ranked, but every one knows that doesn't mean anything.  Here is the proof.  

MU had 8 wins over RPI Top 100....3 of the 8 were against Top 50.  Anyway...I don't really care that Dayton got in...the bigger issue is the A-10 is wildly overrated and I think you will see that bear itself out once the tourney kicks off.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
My upset calls, 2 of the 3, VCU, Wisconsin and Iowa State do not make it out of the first round.

Stephen F. Austin is used to winning and VCU is over-rated.

American excels at efficiency on offense and sharing the ball, they will penetrate and dish and take advantage of UW's weakness.  UW comes out shooting cold and leaves in a hurry.

Iowa State draws a NCCU team that causes turnovers at will, Hoiberg's club will turn it over too much and leave early.

Those are ballsy.  I see Wisconsin going to the Sweet 16 without much trouble.  Iowa State doing well, also.  VCU, I might be with you on that one.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:32 AM »
Those are ballsy.  I see Wisconsin going to the Sweet 16 without much trouble.  Iowa State doing well, also.  VCU, I might be with you on that one.

I agree the first two are ballsy, I will note I have one of the worst track records in picking NCAA games in the history of mankind.  I always pick too many upsets and ones that come pack to bite me. 

I do think if either of those teams lose early, it'll be the first round.  If they don't lose there, they are both easily sweet 16 teams or better.  One of those possible let down situations, but once they get settled are dangerous.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 12:23:54 AM »
My ultimate ballsy picks

Virginia being the first 1 seed in history to lose to a 16
ASU going to the Elite 8
Dayton going to the S16
New Mexico going to the Elite 8
Umass to S16

Terrible picks?  Time will tell

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:13 AM »
Its fun to say MU didn't lose to a team worse than 100 in Kenpom.  But that seems to mean absolutely nothing.  We lost to a few one teams team with RPI above 100.  That seems to matter.  

Not that it really matters, but I FIFY

@Butler (RPI 146) was our one SUB 100 RPI loss. Our two worst losses after that were the two to Saint John's (RPI 65).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
MU had 8 wins over RPI Top 100....3 of the 8 were against Top 50.  Anyway...I don't really care that Dayton got in...the bigger issue is the A-10 is wildly overrated and I think you will see that bear itself out once the tourney kicks off.  

Not sure what RPI you are using.  Looking at ESPNs, we have wins over GW, Providence and Xavier in the top 50.  We have 2 wins over Georgetown from 50-100.  The next closest is Seton Hall at 125.   That's 5. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
Not sure what RPI you are using.  Looking at ESPNs, we have wins over GW, Providence and Xavier in the top 50.  We have 2 wins over Georgetown from 50-100.  The next closest is Seton Hall at 125.   That's 5. 

My bad...I looked at Pomroy in coming up with the 8.  Obviously the NCAA committee uses RPI as a huge driver of who gets in...that is never more clear than this season's selections.  I've just always found Pomory far more accurate with regard to gauging team's quality/strength...as compared to RPI.

Who knows....anything is possible...A-10 may show well in tourney...but I'd be surprised.  Think VCU presents a lot of challenges for many teams with their full court ball pressure...St. Louis?  Eh...didn't really have a whole lot of quality wins outside of conference...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
We get it CBB, they weight RPI heavily, youre right, happy? Now that being said they shouldnt use it so heavily. Its flawed at best. Just an example the MU womens volleyball team were #3 in the RPI at one point but as good as they were, they were no where near the top 30 teams in the nation. Dayton does not deserve to be in the tourney. Im kind of surprised UDpride hasnt made a return to the board.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:34 AM »
Think Marquette and NBE have considerably work to do to gain respect. We have known that for some time but seeing the reality is hard to swallow. Also not sure if any of the four that made the dance will have a good run. Having said that NBE could get big press if Providence stays on fire. Everyone loves an underdog.
Agreed. There is plenty of marketing that needs to be done with the BEast. If Creighton and Vanillanova can have a deep run, that will help. But, obviously, the Committee and media have given the league a deep discount, which is too bad. landing some big time recruits will also help.

Have any of the current BEast teams landed a top 20 or Burger Boy for next year? Don't really know. The league needs to get a couple. It would also help if there were some high profile coaches in the league, but that takes time. Right now, that claim would probably only go to Wright, and maybe Thompson III, who many would argue are not high profile. Hopefully the Fox1 contract will build some steam also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
Agreed. There is plenty of marketing that needs to be done with the BEast. If Creighton and Vanillanova can have a deep run, that will help. But, obviously, the Committee and media have given the league a deep discount, which is too bad. landing some big time recruits will also help.

Have any of the current BEast teams landed a top 20 or Burger Boy for next year? Don't really know. The league needs to get a couple. It would also help if there were some high profile coaches in the league, but that takes time. Right now, that claim would probably only go to Wright, and maybe Thompson III, who many would argue are not high profile. Hopefully the Fox1 contract will build some steam also.

Seton Hall has with Whitehead. By the looks of it most of the BE teams like X, MU, Nova and GTown are looking to make big splashes with the 2015 class.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

You can find out here!

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41881.25

So far only one burger boy in the BEast, Seton Hall's Issiah Whitehead. However, BEast is tied for 2nd most top 100 recruits with 14. They trail the ACC (20) and are tied with Kentucky...I mean...the SEC (14).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
As a current Dayton flyer senior who goes to every Marquette game when in town I think Dayton deserves to be in.  I have been a huge Marquette fan all my life and will always be. In the beginning of the year I laughed at my flyer friends who said Dayton was better than Marquette. As I watched all season both teams play (obviously if they played at the same time I would watch Marquette over Dayton) I do think Dayton is better than Marquette. They are very athletic and can really shoot the three. I always think Marquette can beat anyone on any day, due to the coaching and how tough we are, I think Dayton would beat us this year as sad as that makes me. They have a great fan base and I do think they would be a nice member in our conference

Drink bleach.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
You can find out here!

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41881.25

So far only one burger boy in the BEast, Seton Hall's Issiah Whitehead. However, BEast is tied for 2nd most top 100 recruits with 14. They trail the ACC (20) and are tied with Kentucky...I mean...the SEC (14).
Good one eagle: Ky.: 13; Rest of SEC: 1 (A tad bit of exaggeration there)
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
Dayton doing well in the crapshoot, just like VCU did a few years ago.

feedback