[Today at 11:16:26 AM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 264700 times)

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2024, 09:28:57 AM »
Ben's 'other offers' were from?   Hamilton was going to prep school for a year.  The staff said we like you.   Work with us instead.   I think they swooped in early and beat the rush.   Having said that, again, patience is a virtue.
5/3 on 54% eFG and an average defender (at best). Now if you think he's going to take an Oso leap next year, god bless but I don't agree.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2024, 09:29:41 AM »
I believe that we are going to see more play ready freshmen starting with this class. Shaka has had a luxury on not needing the young guys to play a big role because of the experience of the players coming back. It allowed him to roll the dice a bit on development vs. playing from day one. I would be shocked if Parham was not a contributor from day one next year.

I think MU is 100% set on bigs for next year and PG is the big question mark. I know TAMU does not see a portal PG and I hope he is wrong. I think they need an experienced guy with a motor, but not sure what Shaka does in the portal this year.

I don't know if we "NEED" a point guard. Assist rates don't matter. Look at the NBA. Heliocentric offenses work. Plus transfers always take 1/2 of a season to get adjusted to their knew team.

Having said that, if there is a "transfer" addition, it would be at that spot for me.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2024, 09:33:08 AM »
I have no idea how Ben will measure up to Oso, but I 100% know that he has shown far more tools than Oso did in his second year and it is not even close. He is starting at a much higher level going into next year than Oso was last year. The vast majority of scoopers, myself included, were scratching their heads when Shaka was talking about Oso handling the ball going into last year.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2024, 09:39:29 AM »
I have no idea how Ben will measure up to Oso, but I 100% know that he has shown far more tools than Oso did in his second year and it is not even close. He is starting at a much higher level going into next year than Oso was last year. The vast majority of scoopers, myself included, were scratching their heads when Shaka was talking about Oso handling the ball going into last year.
Because BG shoots a below average jumper? BGs a fun guy to root for, but this board thinks he's a lot better than he is currently. Oso did everything better his sophomore year besides shooting 3s. Soph year Oso played with a much lesser TK as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:41:38 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2024, 09:39:45 AM »

Yeah, Ben may never become Oso, but I think he's going to be solid in other ways.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2024, 09:42:10 AM »
I agree with this analysis.  I also think Al Amadou has very good potential.  Not to mention Shaka absolutely loves the kid's attitude.

Big men typically take longer to develop and Al was late to the game.  Not sure why some Scoopers think he should automatically be at a point where he's a viable player during non-garbage time just because we were done Oso in Omaha.

I can absolutely see Al evolving like Oso, though he may be a 5 year guy, versus what Oso's become in 4.
I don't know what AA develops into.  I can see him in a Barro role, sliding baseline and scoring off dump offs and putbacks.  An 8/5 guy in the Big East, possibly off the bench.   No crime in that.   For whatever reason, when I watch Seton Hall, I think of AA.  Basically interchangeable bigs using their length to fly around.   It isn't fair to compare him to Oso.  But there are other styles for athletic 6'9 guys to play.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:01 AM »
Anyone that simply judges Gold simply off of shooting % is not a serious basketball fan.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:41 AM »
Oso did everything better his sophomore year besides shooting 3s.

I don't disagree. But the strides Ben has made this year defensively are huge. He went from a guy that was hard to keep on the floor due to his defense to being able to execute a lot of the stuff Oso does now.

I want to see him more as a rim runner. I want to see him get some air under the ball from deep. But he's got ability and lost out on much of the summer this year. Excited to see if he can build on this next season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:59 AM »
Because BG shoots a below average jumper? BGs a fun guy to root for, but this board thinks he's a lot better than he is currently. Oso did everything better his sophomore year besides shooting 3s. Soph year Oso played with a much lesser TK as well.

I don’t see anyway Ben is better next year and doubt Al or Caedin are any good.  Shaka and his staff have done a terrible job identifying talent and worst yet, developing it.

I’d throw the bag at Steve Crowl and get a big aircraft carrier like him to man the middle.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2024, 09:44:53 AM »

Like some other scoopers, I find myself underestimating Shaka's ability to develop players even after he repeatedly has demonstrated his savvy at player development. Is it possible that Shaka knows more than scoopers?  ;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2024, 09:45:33 AM »
Like some other scoopers, I find myself underestimating Shaka's ability to develop players even after he repeatedly has demonstrated his savvy at player development. Is it possible that Shaka knows more than scoopers?  ;D

Absolutely not.  I saw Earl Tatum play so I definitely know more
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2024, 09:46:10 AM »
Anyone that simply judges Gold simply off of shooting % is not a serious basketball fan.

Amen!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2024, 09:46:58 AM »
I don't disagree. But the strides Ben has made this year defensively are huge. He went from a guy that was hard to keep on the floor due to his defense to being able to execute a lot of the stuff Oso does now.

I want to see him more as a rim runner. I want to see him get some air under the ball from deep. But he's got ability and lost out on much of the summer this year. Excited to see if he can build on this next season.
Agreed! Just think we need to keep our expectation in check in regards to him. Bring in a transfer big who can play 20+ min at the BE level and let the rest sort itself out.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2024, 09:48:04 AM »
Amen!
Good thing no one here is doing that.

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2024, 09:48:42 AM »
Agreed! Just think we need to keep our expectation in check in regards to him. Bring in a transfer big who can play 20+ min at the BE level and let the rest sort itself out.

It's just not happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2024, 09:49:28 AM »
It's just not happening.
I also don't disagree. I just think it's a bad move. Just like not doing it this year was also a bad move.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2024, 09:50:20 AM »
Ben Gold, assuming he returns to MU after going home to New Zealnd for a few weeks, is the starting center next year.  Finding a big willing to transfer in to play 12 minutes a game is difficult.   As MU has seen the last two seasons.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2024, 09:51:30 AM »
5/3 on 54% eFG and an average defender (at best). Now if you think he's going to take an Oso leap next year, god bless but I don't agree.

Ben's production per 30 minutes:

8.7 PPG and 5.9 RPG.  Those would be ok numbers for a starting C that's the 4th or 5th option on offense.

With even modest improvement in the offseason, Ben can be a 10-12 ppg, 6-7 rpg player.  That's just fine by me, since Kam and Jop will be the top two scores, with Stevie, Chase, and Ben as the 3rd, 4th, and 5th options.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2024, 09:51:44 AM »
Ben Gold, assuming he returns to MU after going home to New Zealnd for a few weeks, is the starting center next year.  Finding a big willing to transfer in to play 12 minutes a game is difficult.   As MU has seen the last two seasons.
But if he's good enough to play you find a way to give him more than 12mpg. You can play both.

The portal is a good thing. How many teams in the top 15 have a transfer in their starting 5, let alone a top 3 player on the team?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:55:53 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2024, 09:53:56 AM »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:55:59 AM by pbiflyer »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2024, 09:55:29 AM »
I also don't disagree. I just think it's a bad move. Just like not doing it this year was also a bad move.

If Shaka knew then what he knows now...what do scoopers think he would have done?

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2024, 09:57:28 AM »
If Shaka knew then what he knows now...what do scoopers think he would have done?
It's okay to disagree with a coach on one aspect and still overall think they're doing a good/great job.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2024, 09:59:13 AM »
GooolllldBrick.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2024, 10:00:01 AM »

He would do exactly what he did. Absolutely no doubt about that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2024, 10:00:23 AM »
I think Amadou is Big East material.   Patience is a virtue.

I agree.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback