'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So, here we are 16-5, 5th place in the Big East, 9 to play  (Read 3335 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
So, here we are 16-5, 5th place in the Big East, 9 to play
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
Still looks like a 20 to 22 win season to me before tournament play.

The losses have been extremely frustrating, no doubt.  On the other hand, shows how high the bar is set nowadays that when we are nationally ranked, 5th place in the Big East, many more winnable games in front of us, and fans are ticked.

I like it.

My advice to the players....tune us dingbats on the message boards off...you're the same team, same staff that won some great games earlier in the year...no reason you cannot do it again. 

Stay mentally tough

The Lens

• All American
Re: So, here we are 16-5, 5th place in the Big East, 9 to play
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:13:17 PM »
That's like saying the Brewers were a 1/2 game out in Mid August...nevermind the fact they were 14 games over .500 in June.

This teaming is trending down and it's not competitive in losses.  That's why people are frustrated, not b/c we're unreasonable but b/c we can recognize a sinking ship when we see one.

And 20 win seasons mean squat these days.  20 win gets you the NIT. 

Coppin State
IUPUI
IUPU FW
Savanah State
UWM
Sacramento State
Chaminade
Utah Valley State
Florida Gulf Coast State University

We were 9-0 when the schedule was released.  I know a LOT of teams do it but to use the 20 barometer in this era of exempt tourneys and more allowed games is not a true measurement.  MU fans aren't being unrealistic, they were told the NIT etc is not good enough.   Our "new" expectations are the results of the Admin deciding 20 wins a years is no longer good enough.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
If we end up with only 20 wins, we'll enter tournament play alright...National Invitational Tournament play. That would represent a 4-6 record in our final 10 games...including that fantastic Florida Gulf Coast non-conference game.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
20 wins in college basketball is similar to what 1000 yards rushing in a season for an NFL back used to be.

Used to sound good and impressive, but now, it seems like anyone with a good/decent season can do it. It's not what it used to be.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »
20 wins in college basketball is similar to what 1000 yards rushing in a season for an NFL back used to be.

Used to sound good and impressive, but now, it seems like anyone with a good/decent season can do it. It's not what it used to be.

Depends who the 20 wins are against, what your RPI is, where you finish in the league, etc.  I don't disagree with you, but no bad losses (unlike all the 20 win teams last year that didn't get in), a few very good wins...we'll see what happens.

Now, if we lose to Rutgers or St. John's....now you're talking about some significant problems that might not be overcome.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »
I'll do what I always do.  Toss out all wins vs. 100+ RPI teams. 

By the end of the year, we'll have played a whopping 16 games vs. Top 100:

We'll have lost to Duke, @UL, UL, @WVU, @UConn, @ND, Pitt, GTown, @Nova, @Syracuse
We'll have beaten @Wisc, Prov, SHU, ND, @Cincy, @SHU.

That's a 6-10 record versus decent, top 100 teams.  That's very much a bubble record.  I think we'll be 4-6 over our last 10 (which started yesterday).

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

Depends who the 20 wins are against, what your RPI is, where you finish in the league, etc.  I don't disagree with you, but no bad losses (unlike all the 20 win teams last year that didn't get in), a few very good wins...we'll see what happens.

Now, if we lose to Rutgers or St. John's....now you're talking about some significant problems that might not be overcome.

I agree. So far no bad losses. the ass kickings we took were at the hands of good teams. 2-4 against Top 50 is suspect, but I think 20 gets us in. Problem is, we are probably one and done again.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
We will beat Villanova. I do believe to get an NCAA bid it will take 10 Big East wins and a first round win in the Big East tournament. There is no way the Big East gets 9 bids. The loser of the 8/9 game is out. I also think you will see a two or three game difference between the top 3 teams and the rest of the league. To make the tournament MU has to go 4-4 in the last 8 conference games. They have Rutgers, St. John's and Villanova. I believe those are wins. They have to win one against Notre Dame, Pittsburg, Georgtown or Syracuse.
That will be tough, but I have to believe we will win at least one of them. What I am most worried about is the first round game in the Big East tournament.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:11:31 PM »
We will beat Villanova. I do believe to get an NCAA bid it will take 10 Big East wins and a first round win in the Big East tournament. There is no way the Big East gets 9 bids. The loser of the 8/9 game is out. I also think you will see a two or three game difference between the top 3 teams and the rest of the league. To make the tournament MU has to go 4-4 in the last 8 conference games. They have Rutgers, St. John's and Villanova. I believe those are wins. They have to win one against Notre Dame, Pittsburg, Georgtown or Syracuse.
That will be tough, but I have to believe we will win at least one of them. What I am most worried about is the first round game in the Big East tournament.

A few weeks ago you thought 5 bids didn't you?  Not at least you're entertaining 8 bids?

10 wins should get you in, even without a first round BET win

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
I'll do what I always do.  Toss out all wins vs. 100+ RPI teams. 

By the end of the year, we'll have played a whopping 16 games vs. Top 100:

We'll have lost to Duke, @UL, UL, @WVU, @UConn, @ND, Pitt, GTown, @Nova, @Syracuse
We'll have beaten @Wisc, Prov, SHU, ND, @Cincy, @SHU.

That's a 6-10 record versus decent, top 100 teams.  That's very much a bubble record.  I think we'll be 4-6 over our last 10 (which started yesterday).

Makes me sick to my stomach to say that I agree. We really need to get a string of wins together to complete our resume. Hey, we're a ranked team in February, that's a good thing. The odds of us becoming an NIT team without injuries is slim, but there is reason to worry here.
We Are Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
Ten Big East wins and a first round lost means we go 5-5 in our last 10 games including a meaningless win against Florida Atlantic. I believe if that happens we will not get a bid. I was saying 5 bids. Connecticutt winning at Indiana takes us up t 6 bids. Right now if the Big East were to get nine bids you are saying that Marquette, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia and Seton Hall are all getting bids. I see two or three of those teams getting bids, which gives the Big East 6 or 7 bids. Pitt was problably the best team in the conference before they lost 2 starters to injuries. They have two losses to the current bottom 4 in the conference. At least to date the worst team we have lossed to is West Virginia. I also expect the lack of depth to catch up to Syracuse. I will be surprised if they beat Uconn tonight. All the above 5 teams currently have winning records in conference. If they finish at .500 and lose in the first round they will have losing records in their last 10.