[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette opens +5.5 vs. UCLA  (Read 6173 times)

BM1090

• All American
Marquette opens +5.5 vs. UCLA
« on: December 10, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
via PointsBet.

Not all that different from the +3 opening line @KSU.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Marquette opens +5.5 vs. UCLA
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 03:08:52 PM »
Only 5.5 is pretty wild to me.

Would love to find a way to pull this off. But this screams blowout to me

Then again, so did Illinois and we know what happened there
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »

I mentioned this in another thread but I don't see a path to victory in this one other than a huge shooting variance game. UCLA is too good on both sides of the ball.

Maybe if Campbell regresses to his pre-2021 shooting percentages all at once.

We do get to the line at a much-higher rate than them. Maybe some home cooking?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:13:56 PM by BM1090 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
Seems very generous to me. If we lost by 5 I would not be upset. Would love to steal a W, but this will take an Oceans 11 level heist.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »

It actually screams trap game for Vegas bettors. The average fan will think UCLA -5.5 is juicy. Vegas usually knows better than the fans. I expect a tight one.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »
UCLA's shot quality this season as been poor. 5 is about right, plus shaka is now hitting at nearly 63% ATS as an Underdog since joining Texas. The market is adjusting/betting it up a bit.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »
UCLA's shot quality this season as been poor. 5 is about right, plus shaka is now hitting at nearly 63% ATS as an Underdog since joining Texas. The market is adjusting/betting it up a bit.

Their shot quality was poor during their FF run last year too. But the guys they have can make those shots consistently.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »
Their shot quality was poor during their FF run last year too. But the guys they have can make those shots consistently.

They lost 9 games last year before making the tourney as one of the last four in. They were 64th in SQ in 2020, and are currently 41st in SQ in 2021. They got pumped by Gonzaga, and beat Nova in OT at home.

My point more so is they arn't the best team in the country, nor are they the 4th best. Probably in the 15-30 range come the end of the year.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »
Overrated?

We'll find out tomorrow.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 04:10:18 PM »
They lost 9 games last year before making the tourney as one of the last four in. They were 64th in SQ in 2020, and are currently 41st in SQ in 2021. They got pumped by Gonzaga, and beat Nova in OT at home.

My point more so is they arn't the best team in the country, nor are they the 4th best. Probably in the 15-30 range come the end of the year.

Agree with most of this but think they likely settle in the 10-15 range

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 04:18:31 PM »
In most games UCLA plays, including this one, they arguably will have the best 2 players on the floor. And Campbell, Bernard and Riley (when healthy) are darn good, too.

The 2020-21 regular season means nothing when talking about (or ranking) this year's UCLA team.

I totally understand this betting line. 5.5 is a pretty good amount of points on the road against an 8-2 team that has some good wins. I'd have been surprised if it was much more than that. UCLA is a top-5 team with a nice win against the best team in Marquette's league; I'd have been surprised if it was much less than 5.5.

I hope we're hitting our shots, hitting the defensive boards and taking care of the basketball. If so, we can hang with them and maybe shock 'em. Wouldn't be any more shocking than the 2017 win vs Nova. If we're not doing those things, it could get ugly. We have very little margin for error in a game like this.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »

That narrative has been floated around here a bit and it’s misguided. They were without both Chris Smith and Jalen Hill for the second half of last season. They had some tough non con losses early to good teams and then played really well in conference. Cronin is a great coach and there was/is a lot of talent on the roster. Top 5 this year? Probably not, but 10-15 is the real deal.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
Well, we have to do the three things we have not done consistently all year, and have to do them all in one game.  Offensive rebounding, limit turnovers, hit our shots.   Big challenge, but possible as this team is developing.   Go Marquette!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
That is crazy line IMO. Would never bet against MU, but this would be an opportunity to do so.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 05:09:08 PM »

So what? They are a very good team. I am happy we have the matchup. It's great for MU.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »

Totally agree. It should be in the 12-14 range. I understand they don't want a road team giving up that many points, but these are not comparable teams in any way. I will be jumping up and down for joy if they only lose by 5.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
Totally agree. It should be in the 12-14 range. I understand they don't want a road team giving up that many points, but these are not comparable teams in any way. I will be jumping up and down for joy if they only lose by 5.

You’re going too far in the other direction. Rutgers was only +13.5 vs Purdue and didn’t have their best player.

I thought it would open around 7.5

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 06:56:27 PM »
That narrative has been floated around here a bit and it’s misguided. They were without both Chris Smith and Jalen Hill for the second half of last season. They had some tough non con losses early to good teams and then played really well in conference. Cronin is a great coach and there was/is a lot of talent on the roster. Top 5 this year? Probably not, but 10-15 is the real deal.

This may be, but he's also a POS. The Yancy Gates experience tells me everything I need to know about Mick Cronin. Part of the reason I think there are fewer big rivalries for us right now in conference.  No one as hated as a Cronin, Slick Rick, Boeheim, or Huggy Bear.

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 07:49:28 PM »
This may be, but he's also a POS. The Yancy Gates experience tells me everything I need to know about Mick Cronin. Part of the reason I think there are fewer big rivalries for us right now in conference.  No one as hated as a Cronin, Slick Rick, Boeheim, or Huggy Bear.

Go back and watch his post game presser. He came out looking about as good as he could given the situation. Frankly, whomever the Xavier coach at the time should be heavily criticized for letting his players sit at the podium and answer questions following the brew haha.

Great quotes and hilarious video, but if you’re criticizing anyone, it should be the x coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 07:58:25 PM »
I will be jumping up and down for joy if they only lose by 5.

As a realist, I would understand a loss to UCLA. And unless we give it away, I won’t be overly disappointed. But I won’t celebrate a close loss to anyone.

And I don’t think you will either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 08:28:56 PM »

I dunno man, Kevin Willard certainly tops Huggy Bear and Pitino for me.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 08:53:55 PM »
I dunno man, Kevin Willard certainly tops Huggy Bear and Pitino for me.

Not even close for me.  Willard has had some punks, but overall is not nearly as bad either of them.

Go back and watch his post game presser. He came out looking about as good as he could given the situation. Frankly, whomever the Xavier coach at the time should be heavily criticized for letting his players sit at the podium and answer questions following the brew haha.

Great quotes and hilarious video, but if you’re criticizing anyone, it should be the x coach.

Actions speak louder than words.  I don't care what you say in a press conference, only a 6 game suspension for Gates was ridiculous.  He should have been immediately kicked off the team.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 09:06:38 PM »
As a realist, I would understand a loss to UCLA. And unless we give it away, I won’t be overly disappointed. But I won’t celebrate a close loss to anyone.

And I don’t think you will either.

I thought we were a 10-12 win team at the start of the season. I am very happy where we are right now - even the 2 losses don't bother me so much.

I am starting to believe we could be better than that - with the outside possibility of getting in the tournament. So, yeah, it was hyperbole, but I won't be unhappy if we play well enough to lose a close game to a top 5 team.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2021, 09:14:45 PM »
I think with Covid people are underestimating  home court advantage… there has been a year or so where there have been minimal crowds. We need fiserv to rock and hopefully we steal a victory

panda

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 09:34:27 PM »
Not even close for me.  Willard has had some punks, but overall is not nearly as bad either of them.

Actions speak louder than words.  I don't care what you say in a press conference, only a 6 game suspension for Gates was ridiculous.  He should have been immediately kicked off the team.

Lol Cronin didn’t throw the punches. Get off your high horse.

feedback