[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul thoughts  (Read 13442 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: DePaul thoughts
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
Gotta respect the process, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
If DePaul can neutralize Fischer, just imagine how the quality athletic bigs throughout the league will handle him?

It's going to be a long year for MU and Luke

It is up to the guards to space the floor. I thought Luke played pretty intelligent basketball tonight.  That being said, with Derrick on the floor it is tough to beat the double teams of which Fischer will inevitably see a steady diet.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2014, 06:30:36 PM »
Taylor looks bad, has not developed, Juan on the other hand really hustles. All of Duanes 3's short, Carlino is a 50-50 player
and a real liability on D. I don't know how we beat 3 pretty good teams this year, DePaul won there first opener in 6 years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 06:32:06 PM »
It is up to the guards to space the floor. I thought Luke played pretty intelligent basketball tonight.  That being said, with Derrick on the floor it is tough to beat the double teams of which Fischer will inevitably see a steady diet.

Luke did some good things.  Luke did a number of bad things.  His three assists lead the team...as did his five turnovers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
It is up to the guards to space the floor. I thought Luke played pretty intelligent basketball tonight.  That being said, with Derrick on the floor it is tough to beat the double teams of which Fischer will inevitably see a steady diet.

Marquette got the looks they wanted out of double teams on Luke.  Cuts to the basket by Juan and Duane, wide open look after wide open look for Carlino.   Derrick shot a better % from 3 than Carlino did.    Today, the problem was Carlino's poor shooting and the team going into a shell over the last 5 minutes.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
it's tough to shoot on the road, tougher when your big is in foul trouble .... it happens.  But 6 turnovers in the last 7 minutes, & a -5 turnover margin overall were daggers.

MU was up 9 when the turnover festival re-commenced late.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:40:13 PM by NYWarrior »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
Just terrible. No excuse to lose to that team ever.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
fisher was bad, against a bad team with no size, which leaves me concerned. if you double fisher and are physical like north dakota and depaul, he doesn't play well at all. not sure what we can do, he has to man up and play better and our guys have to make some 3's. carlino was about as bad as you can be

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Yep.  Practicing free throws apparently doesn't mean much.   MU got the looks it wanted for the most part.  Luke passing opposite out of a double team, wide open look....clank.   When JJJ shot back-to-back corner 3's missing them both, I started to get that bad feeling. 

recruiting basketball players and shooters instead of athletes is a start.  Buzz was wowed by long athletes wojo wants basketball players

Class71

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
We lost to DePaul in 2010.   That season turned out ok

MU and DePaul were better teams in '09.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:48:02 PM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »
fisher was bad, against a bad team with no size, which leaves me concerned. if you double fisher and are physical like north dakota and depaul, he doesn't play well at all. not sure what we can do, he has to man up and play better and our guys have to make some 3's. carlino was about as bad as you can be
[/quot

Luke set up players for open shots, if they made some they would have stopped doubling him, having Derrick in that position or Carlino or even JJJ was trouble tonight. Hope one of the new recruits can shoot.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
Gotta respect the process, aina?

Yes. And I'm telling myself that now. We'll lose some we shouldn't lose and win some we shouldn't win.

But hard to keep that mantra when the loss comes against the worst high major program in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »

Derrick??? ? WTF are you talking about? Luke did a great job passing out of the double and EVERYBODY missed EVERYTHING. Derrick was the least of the issues.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
Doesn't bode well for the season if you can't beat a garbage team like DePaul.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

Derrick??? ? WTF are you talking about? Luke did a great job passing out of the double and EVERYBODY missed EVERYTHING. Derrick was the least of the issues.

+1

Derrick was one of our better players tonight. In a game where not many stood out, he at least was okay.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
Just terrible. No excuse to lose to that team ever.

I feel ya This is horrible DePaul is bad
What happened this is yet another drop in the never ending mood coaster.

LegalEagle15

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
Tough to win when you shoot lower than 40% from the floor and below 15% from three as a team. Sometimes the ball just won't go in the hoop. The announcers made a point early in the game when Duane Wilson missed a wide open three - in conference play you need to make the open shots when the defense gives them to you - and today the team as a whole struggled to do so. Combine that with some bad turnovers down the stretch and foul trouble for Luke and it's a recipe for a loss to a DePaul team that played tough down the stretch. One play that stood out to me was when Luke got doubled Juan dove down the lane wide open. Luke either didn't see him or didn't make the pass and instead opted to kick it out to someone else - ultimately resulting in a missed shot I believe. As Luke learns how to handle the double team and the team gets used to playing around Luke that will change. Hopefully next time they play the goals are regulation size.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »
MU was outscored on points off turnovers 16-0 in the 2nd half with ten turnovers. Wojo chose to play the three seniors the majority of those minutes, while JJJ, who scored seven in eight minutes, sat.

Luke was only 3-3 but with five turnovers as he got the ball in a position not to score with the opposing center suspended. MU's guards had no flow in their game. Our coach had a lost team out there, unable to push the advantage, while DePaul had a great PG on the floor.

Wojo is too hard headed for himself often times. This was a New Year's Eve gift from our seniors and coach to an empty arena of DePaul fans.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »
3-23 from 3.   19-34 from 2.   Clearly settle for too many 3's.     Also, playing Cohen his usual 10 minutes would have helped the fatigue issue down the stretch.   JJJ with 17 minutes isn't enough.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588396

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:01:55 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »
+1

Derrick was one of our better players tonight. In a game where not many stood out, he at least was okay.
Yup, let's all celebrate that our senior PG, the elite gamechanger was "at least ok". The circle of life is now complete.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
13.  I predicted 7 conference wins.  If we are lucky.  

7 wins - not even sure who this team can beat - maybe DePaul at home?  1 - 17 - are we Depaul this year?

I predicted 7 wins as well.  I'm afraid many here were hopelessly optimistic.  A team that has no go to guy, a very short bench and not great free throw shooting is going to find it very difficult to win close games down the stretch, particularly on the road.  And I expect any game we have a chance to win in conf to be a "close game".  I don't think we go 1-17, I don't think we finish last.  I still think we split our conf home games and might steal one on the road.  I'd change my 7 -11 to 6-12 but that means we get 6 wins and avoid the basement. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »

Fischer found guys wide open time and time again out of the double team.  We just missed the open shots.  Fischer could have had 7-8 assists in this game.  The play under the basket late in the game was bad.  But guys missing open three after open three cost us the game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
3-23 from 3.   19-34 from 2.   Clearly settle for too many 3's.     Also, playing Cohen his usual 10 minutes would have helped the fatigue issue down the stretch.   JJJ with 17 minutes isn't enough.

There it is........you got the fatigue angle in.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »

I disagree.  I would say 17-18 of those three's were wide open.  That isn't settling.  We just missed them.  We simply had a bad shooting night.  DePaul played good defense for the last eight minutes of the game.  Other than that, we had a lot of good looks and it was just brick city.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
The most disappointing thing to me was Carlino showing no confidence in his shot after one miss. He short armed the heck out of his next one and was woefully short on his first free throw as well. Was shocked to see a senior go in the tank so quickly. Even a 3 point play he had was the result of him not taking a 3 with no one around. The way he was shooting I guess that's fine, but a shooter has to keep believing the next one is going in. He had none of that belief last night. It killed us.

feedback