[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul thoughts  (Read 13441 times)

tower912

• All American
DePaul thoughts
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
1.  MU isn't that good.
2.  Hyping Fischer...not a good game.   They started sitting on his passes out of the double team. 
3.  Offensive rebounding kept MU in the game. 
4.  Steve did not have the breakthrough game MU needed. 
5.  Carlino can shoot you into a game.   Today, he didn't do that.  He was the bad Carlino today.  No getting around it.  Somewhere, BYU fans are saying, "yeah, that guy.  We don't miss him." 
6.  MU played not to lose in the second half.   Sloppy with the ball, not enough movement off of the ball. 
7.  Gotta make open 3's.   Gotta make free throws. 
8.  No Cohen.   7 man rotation is awfully lonely.   
9.  MU's half court offense was not good today.   
10.  They let DePaul hang around.   They paid the price. 
11.  This was the best chance for MU to win a conference road game.   
12.  Duane should have been in more down the stretch.   
13.  I predicted 7 conference wins.  If we are lucky. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mu2323

• Starter
Re: DePaul thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »
If you lose to depaul you might as well end the season.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Lowered expectations by Jack Handy

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
5.  Carlino can shoot you into a game.   Today, he didn't do that.  He was the bad Carlino today.  No getting around it.  Somewhere, BYU fans are saying, "yeah, that guy.  We don't miss him."  

Agreed.  Never can blame a loss on one guy, but Carlino has to make a few shots for us to have a chance.  Plus he missed a couple of key free throws.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »
with Carlino so bad why not play Duane more he can create off the dribble much better.  
3 on 1 charge on Luke changed the game.  As a guard you only give to a big if he can finish above the rim on the break.  Derrick had 2 options over the top to Duane or take it himself

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
We went into conserve way too early and lost our aggressiveness in the second half. It was a rookie coaching mistake made in part to keep our team fresh.

This will be a problem all season in some ways.

Luke looked better than some here think. Loved that one swat-away block.

Folks, we'll learn!

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
13.  I predicted 7 conference wins.  If we are lucky.  

7 wins - not even sure who this team can beat - maybe DePaul at home?  1 - 17 - are we Depaul this year?

1.  MU isn't that good.
2.  Hyping Fischer...not a good game.   They started sitting on his passes out of the double team. 
3.  Offensive rebounding kept MU in the game. 
4.  Steve did not have the breakthrough game MU needed. 
5.  Carlino can shoot you into a game.   Today, he didn't do that.  He was the bad Carlino today.  No getting around it.  Somewhere, BYU fans are saying, "yeah, that guy.  We don't miss him." 
6.  MU played not to lose in the second half.   Sloppy with the ball, not enough movement off of the ball. 
7.  Gotta make open 3's.   Gotta make free throws. 
8.  No Cohen.   7 man rotation is awfully lonely.   
9.  MU's half court offense was not good today.   
10.  They let DePaul hang around.   They paid the price. 
11.  This was the best chance for MU to win a conference road game.   
12.  Duane should have been in more down the stretch.   
13.  I predicted 7 conference wins.  If we are lucky. 

Norm

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
Carlino - just awful, especially down the stretch. He has to stop taking 3's when he is bricking them all game long.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »
with Carlino so bad why not play Duane more he can create off the dribble much better.  
3 on 1 charge on Luke changed the game.  As a guard you only give to a big if he can finish above the rim on the break.  Derrick had 2 options over the top to Duane or take it himself

Because Matt Carlino is your senior leader. That's what you want when the chips are on the line.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
Not only does Carlino have to hit shots, worse, if he misses some then stops taking open looks. At that point he is completely worthless out there....like today.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
If you lose to depaul you might as well end the season.

We lost to DePaul in 2010.   That season turned out ok

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
Horrible game. I do like Billy Garrett, though.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
Because Matt Carlino is your senior leader. That's what you want when the chips are on the line.
Bench him for a few minutes and let him relax.  Duane would have helped he is an attacker and plays to win not to lose

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
Bench him for a few minutes and let him relax.  Duane would have helped he is an attacker and plays to win not to lose
If Carlino is not hitting shots, I think his body language changes to the point of sulking. Then the bad turnovers begin.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 06:15:19 PM »
Two possessions in a row Carlino's dribbled around until time ran down. Last time he passes to Fischer at top of key with three seconds left. No playmaker in the last few minutes. We just fumbled around

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
To me, there is only one overriding thought.  We can't shoot.  I think we were 3-23 on 3s and terrible at the foul line.  Most of the 3s were good open looks, too.  

Other than that, we've got to swing a guy to the three point line in the corner ball side when we dump to Luke in the low post so he has an outlet for the three.

That, and Taylor has got to learn a post move or two.  A jump hook or something.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »
To me, there is only one overriding thought.  We can't shoot.  I think we were 3-23 on 3s and terrible at the foul line.  Most of the 3s were good open looks, too.  

Other than that, we've got to swing a guy to the three point line in the corner ball side when we dump to Luke in the low post so he has an outlet for the three.

That, and Taylor has got to learn a post move or two.  A jump hook or something.

Maybe the most discouraging play in the game was Teve with perfect post position, pulls a drop step, clear hook opportunity... and then he opens his shoulders and has it swatted by the defender's wrist.  Kid hasn't perfected his game.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »

Yep.  Practicing free throws apparently doesn't mean much.   MU got the looks it wanted for the most part.  Luke passing opposite out of a double team, wide open look....clank.   When JJJ shot back-to-back corner 3's missing them both, I started to get that bad feeling. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »
* When MU stops attacking the rim, they lose
* Will need to evolve something for the double teams Luke faces
* Juan had a pretty good game, can't think of many poor plays on his part either
* That said, I think he runs out of energy with as many minutes as he is being asked to play
* Hopefully Sandy was absent due to illness and nothing more
* Carlino needs to have the sense to stop shooting when he is ice cold.  No only did he finish 1-10 from three, at least twice he dribbled around until the shot clock was about to expire and then dumped it on a teammate who had to heave a desperation three
* Carlino didn't single-handedly lose it, but it is difficult to think of a game where one player had a larger negative impact
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
14.  This is a rebuilding year.    Accept it. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »
Not a Final Four team ,hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
Steve is just not good. Hope began be productive at some point, but not optimistic.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »

That's pretty much it. What happened here is that the team, everyone, just did not hit any open shots. It seemed like we scored all of our points picking up garbage. DePaul's confidence was shot to start the game and they looked ready to roll over for us. Once they realized we weren't going to take advantage of their total lack of defense, their confidence went way up.

If we had a slightly below-average shooting night, I believe we win this game pretty easily. IMO, it's hard to imagine that such poor shooting will continue for the entire season. We have scored a lot more points against far better competition.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
If DePaul can neutralize Fischer, just imagine how the quality athletic bigs throughout the league will handle him?

It's going to be a long year for MU and Luke
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
There were plenty of things to criticize in this game tonight, but I was disappointed in the effort.

DePaul played like this was a Big East Conference game. Marquette could learn a thing or two from our opponent tonight.

On the bright side, we have 2 games in the next 6 days. So hopefully our guys don't have any time to dwell on this loss, and can get back to work.

Long season ahead. Don't overreact tonight. We will see a different team when they take the floor on Saturday.

Still expect a lot of quality wins from Marquette during the conference season. Tonight, was obviously not one of them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
Gotta respect the process, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
If DePaul can neutralize Fischer, just imagine how the quality athletic bigs throughout the league will handle him?

It's going to be a long year for MU and Luke

It is up to the guards to space the floor. I thought Luke played pretty intelligent basketball tonight.  That being said, with Derrick on the floor it is tough to beat the double teams of which Fischer will inevitably see a steady diet.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2014, 06:30:36 PM »
Taylor looks bad, has not developed, Juan on the other hand really hustles. All of Duanes 3's short, Carlino is a 50-50 player
and a real liability on D. I don't know how we beat 3 pretty good teams this year, DePaul won there first opener in 6 years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 06:32:06 PM »
It is up to the guards to space the floor. I thought Luke played pretty intelligent basketball tonight.  That being said, with Derrick on the floor it is tough to beat the double teams of which Fischer will inevitably see a steady diet.

Luke did some good things.  Luke did a number of bad things.  His three assists lead the team...as did his five turnovers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
It is up to the guards to space the floor. I thought Luke played pretty intelligent basketball tonight.  That being said, with Derrick on the floor it is tough to beat the double teams of which Fischer will inevitably see a steady diet.

Marquette got the looks they wanted out of double teams on Luke.  Cuts to the basket by Juan and Duane, wide open look after wide open look for Carlino.   Derrick shot a better % from 3 than Carlino did.    Today, the problem was Carlino's poor shooting and the team going into a shell over the last 5 minutes.  

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
it's tough to shoot on the road, tougher when your big is in foul trouble .... it happens.  But 6 turnovers in the last 7 minutes, & a -5 turnover margin overall were daggers.

MU was up 9 when the turnover festival re-commenced late.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:40:13 PM by NYWarrior »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
Just terrible. No excuse to lose to that team ever.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
fisher was bad, against a bad team with no size, which leaves me concerned. if you double fisher and are physical like north dakota and depaul, he doesn't play well at all. not sure what we can do, he has to man up and play better and our guys have to make some 3's. carlino was about as bad as you can be

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Yep.  Practicing free throws apparently doesn't mean much.   MU got the looks it wanted for the most part.  Luke passing opposite out of a double team, wide open look....clank.   When JJJ shot back-to-back corner 3's missing them both, I started to get that bad feeling. 

recruiting basketball players and shooters instead of athletes is a start.  Buzz was wowed by long athletes wojo wants basketball players

Class71

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
We lost to DePaul in 2010.   That season turned out ok

MU and DePaul were better teams in '09.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:48:02 PM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »
fisher was bad, against a bad team with no size, which leaves me concerned. if you double fisher and are physical like north dakota and depaul, he doesn't play well at all. not sure what we can do, he has to man up and play better and our guys have to make some 3's. carlino was about as bad as you can be
[/quot

Luke set up players for open shots, if they made some they would have stopped doubling him, having Derrick in that position or Carlino or even JJJ was trouble tonight. Hope one of the new recruits can shoot.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
Gotta respect the process, aina?

Yes. And I'm telling myself that now. We'll lose some we shouldn't lose and win some we shouldn't win.

But hard to keep that mantra when the loss comes against the worst high major program in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »

Derrick??? ? WTF are you talking about? Luke did a great job passing out of the double and EVERYBODY missed EVERYTHING. Derrick was the least of the issues.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
Doesn't bode well for the season if you can't beat a garbage team like DePaul.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

Derrick??? ? WTF are you talking about? Luke did a great job passing out of the double and EVERYBODY missed EVERYTHING. Derrick was the least of the issues.

+1

Derrick was one of our better players tonight. In a game where not many stood out, he at least was okay.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
Just terrible. No excuse to lose to that team ever.

I feel ya This is horrible DePaul is bad
What happened this is yet another drop in the never ending mood coaster.

LegalEagle15

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
Tough to win when you shoot lower than 40% from the floor and below 15% from three as a team. Sometimes the ball just won't go in the hoop. The announcers made a point early in the game when Duane Wilson missed a wide open three - in conference play you need to make the open shots when the defense gives them to you - and today the team as a whole struggled to do so. Combine that with some bad turnovers down the stretch and foul trouble for Luke and it's a recipe for a loss to a DePaul team that played tough down the stretch. One play that stood out to me was when Luke got doubled Juan dove down the lane wide open. Luke either didn't see him or didn't make the pass and instead opted to kick it out to someone else - ultimately resulting in a missed shot I believe. As Luke learns how to handle the double team and the team gets used to playing around Luke that will change. Hopefully next time they play the goals are regulation size.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »
MU was outscored on points off turnovers 16-0 in the 2nd half with ten turnovers. Wojo chose to play the three seniors the majority of those minutes, while JJJ, who scored seven in eight minutes, sat.

Luke was only 3-3 but with five turnovers as he got the ball in a position not to score with the opposing center suspended. MU's guards had no flow in their game. Our coach had a lost team out there, unable to push the advantage, while DePaul had a great PG on the floor.

Wojo is too hard headed for himself often times. This was a New Year's Eve gift from our seniors and coach to an empty arena of DePaul fans.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »
3-23 from 3.   19-34 from 2.   Clearly settle for too many 3's.     Also, playing Cohen his usual 10 minutes would have helped the fatigue issue down the stretch.   JJJ with 17 minutes isn't enough.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588396

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:01:55 AM by tower912 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »
+1

Derrick was one of our better players tonight. In a game where not many stood out, he at least was okay.
Yup, let's all celebrate that our senior PG, the elite gamechanger was "at least ok". The circle of life is now complete.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
13.  I predicted 7 conference wins.  If we are lucky.  

7 wins - not even sure who this team can beat - maybe DePaul at home?  1 - 17 - are we Depaul this year?

I predicted 7 wins as well.  I'm afraid many here were hopelessly optimistic.  A team that has no go to guy, a very short bench and not great free throw shooting is going to find it very difficult to win close games down the stretch, particularly on the road.  And I expect any game we have a chance to win in conf to be a "close game".  I don't think we go 1-17, I don't think we finish last.  I still think we split our conf home games and might steal one on the road.  I'd change my 7 -11 to 6-12 but that means we get 6 wins and avoid the basement. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »

Fischer found guys wide open time and time again out of the double team.  We just missed the open shots.  Fischer could have had 7-8 assists in this game.  The play under the basket late in the game was bad.  But guys missing open three after open three cost us the game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
3-23 from 3.   19-34 from 2.   Clearly settle for too many 3's.     Also, playing Cohen his usual 10 minutes would have helped the fatigue issue down the stretch.   JJJ with 17 minutes isn't enough.

There it is........you got the fatigue angle in.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »

I disagree.  I would say 17-18 of those three's were wide open.  That isn't settling.  We just missed them.  We simply had a bad shooting night.  DePaul played good defense for the last eight minutes of the game.  Other than that, we had a lot of good looks and it was just brick city.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
The most disappointing thing to me was Carlino showing no confidence in his shot after one miss. He short armed the heck out of his next one and was woefully short on his first free throw as well. Was shocked to see a senior go in the tank so quickly. Even a 3 point play he had was the result of him not taking a 3 with no one around. The way he was shooting I guess that's fine, but a shooter has to keep believing the next one is going in. He had none of that belief last night. It killed us.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
Carlino has never seen a shot that he doesnt like.  I believe he took 10 3s yesterday. Could he have taken 12-14?  Sure.  When the deep shot is not falling, you need to find other ways to score, dish, draw contact, etc.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
There it is........you got the fatigue angle in.

It took a while.   Are you going to try to make the case that Juan didn't look gassed at the end?

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
ridiculous that cohen didn't get some minutes, may have gotten some open 3 looks, he has shown he can make them. it's not like anyone else was making anything. overall bad first big east game for wojo, you can't play only 7 guys and expect to win in the big east.

unfortunately losing this game may have set up a disaster as there are no more gimme games in the big east (and i guess even depaul wasn't a gimme game-which is sad)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
It took a while.   Are you going to try to make the case that Juan didn't look gassed at the end?

Nope--just making a case that you will highlight the fatigue factor after every game. 

Surprising that being so fatigued, that there were fresh legs on sitting on the bench.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »
Nope--just making a case that you will highlight the fatigue factor after every game. 

Surprising that being so fatigued, that there were fresh legs on sitting on the bench.
yeah, all two of them.  ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »

Not every game.  I didn't mention after the cupcakes.   Of course, there was a better minutes distribution during most of them.   And I have no idea why Cohen didn't play. 

tower912

• All American

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »
yeah, all two of them.  ::)

If the discussion is fatigue, and you have and 8 man bench, and you only use 7.......that means someone didnt play.  Again, with respect to fatigue, we could have used those two legs.  Pretty simple, unless there is something that we do not know about behind the scenes.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2015, 11:45:58 AM »
Carlino has never seen a shot that he doesnt like.  I believe he took 10 3s yesterday. Could he have taken 12-14?  Sure.  When the deep shot is not falling, you need to find other ways to score, dish, draw contact, etc.

Hard to believe he was 1-10. Just awful.