'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'm 100% behind Wojo  (Read 11534 times)

rocket190

• Walk-On
I'm 100% behind Wojo
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
Flame me for being a new poster, but I'm not a new reader.

I think Wojo is a perfect hire.  He's young, enthusiastic, a helluva recruiter, and should have high b-ball intelligence.  Even though he seems defensive minded, I think he'll bring a more exciting brand of ball than Howland.  I prefer to differentiate from the BADgers, and their usual sloooooow offense.

I don't know how anyone can say that he doesn't have a likable resume.  He learned from one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball.  If your boss was one of the best (insert title) in the United States, don't you think you'd learn a thing or two from he/she????

Buzz was short, fat, white, and a non-player.....and he proved everyone wrong.  Like others have mentioned, I'd rather have a coach that leaves in 5-6 due to success, than a moderately successful lifer.

Props to Marquette, and good luck to Wojo!

MUINGB

• Starter
Re: I'm 100% behind Wojo
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
+  1000   GOOD THOUGHTS

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
"Flame me for being a new poster" Lol welcome to the jungle where new posters gets eaten alive!

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
Im ok with it.

If we were going to go the assistant route, i really would have preferred Mike Hopkins over Wojo.

1) Its easier to recruit to Duke than to Syracuse.
2) Both run practices and are responsible for watching game film but Hopkins draws up plays during timeouts (at least during OOC portion of schedule). I dont think Wojo did that.

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
I posted this on another thread, and I'll post it here.  We all know the playbook.  Wojo is at mu to practice being a head coach before he takes over at Duke when K retires.  MU = Duke D-league.  I'm pissed.  

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
I posted this on another thread, and I'll post it here.  We all know the playbook.  Wojo is at mu to practice being a head coach before he takes over at Duke when K retires.  MU = Duke D-league.  I'm pissed.  

That would have been the same for Shaka as well, but Shaka's in play for more than just Duke.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
Great hire!  Look forward to seeing him coach Marquette!!!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »

Duke has a lot of former assistants out there to choose from.

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »
not nearly as clear of a path as with wojo.  We all know how this is going to end.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »
It's comical that people think he's a shoe-in at Duke. It's probably thee most sought after college head coaching gig in the nation. Unless, he has MU going to multiple Final Fours over the next 5-6 years, I think Duke fans would be disappointed in his hire. Duke is about one thing, winning NCs--there is no such thing as a sentimental hire.  

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
Duke will only hire one of their own for head coach....I'd be hard pressed to find anyone more Duke than Wojo.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »
Duke will only hire one of their own for head coach....I'd be hard pressed to find anyone more Duke than Wojo.

Amaker?
SS Marquette

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »

Im with you. I said the same thing in another thread too

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
15 years as assistant coach at Duke. 15 YEARS. Yes, he will be back as coach at DUKE in the future.

RyanConroy

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
15 years as assistant coach at Duke. 15 YEARS. Yes, he will be back as coach at DUKE in the future.

Just take it easy, Cuonzo. We get it, you're upset. Best of luck getting back the use of those private jets.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

If Duke hires Wojo as its next coach, it means he'll have accomplished great things at Marquette.
I can live with that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »

He sure will.... after he goes to two final fours in five years and wins a national championship at MU.  And I'm ok with that.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »
I know we want our program to be elite, but come on guys.   Living in a little bit of a bubble if you think a coach who is successful for us being offered the Duke job isn't going to take it.  You would have said the same thing about Shaka if he took it.  Only Howland would have escaped this because of his age, or the perception is that Wardle would have never left because he played here.
We're not a blue blood program. It's just a fact.  Nothing wrong with that. Let's just go beat the blue bloods.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »

If that does happen, which is a BIG IF, we will have lost 2 of our last 3 head coaches to Indiana and Duke.  Frankly that is a hell of a stepping stone program.  #EliteBBallProblems
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
That may be the case - him going back to Duke - but as an organization, you cannot decide against hiring someone for the fear they'll leave for something better. Not if that person is your desired candidate.

Hell, anyone can leave any job at any time. If MU thought he was the best qualified, they'd be idiots to pass just because "you know, we aren't Duke. he'll want to take that job some day. Let's hire someone else." I've seen that at my job and it's a dumb way to hire (out of fear).

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
Amaker?

After Amaker failed at Michigan I can't imagine he'd be in the running.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
"Flame me for being a new poster" Lol welcome to the jungle where new posters gets eaten alive!

atk13thst - You could only hope to contain me ......  Once I took the seat belt off, you were toast.  #newposter

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
A coach that was a PG... Im all for it!

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
From the standpoint of credentials, I like what Wojo brings to the table. Ok, so he hasn't been the head guy, but he's been actively involved at the very highest level of college hoops. I have seen him on numerous occasions drawing plays in the huddle during Duke timeouts, and assistant coaches have far more involvement in running practices and game prep than I think a lot of people know. Wojo has been involved in way more huge games as a player and coach than just about any head coach we could have brought in who would view MU as a step up from possibly a mid-major program. Aside from Shaka, I really don't know that any other candidates talked about would have excited me any more than Wojo. That's not to say I was pulling for him or even had him on my radar as a potential candidate until the talk came up in the last couple days. Howland has great experience, but I can certainly understand the questions about him from MU's standpoint, particularly after aspects of the program's culture was an issue for the administration under Buzz.

Speaking of culture, one of the things I was most bummed about with Buzz leaving was the loss of the part of the culture that MU has become known for in terms of being tough and scratching and clawing for everything you can get (admittedly that seemed to be missing this year). Guys like Jerel, Wes, DJ, Jae, DJO and Jimmy helped build that reputation. Judging by how he was as a player, I fully expect that Wojo will work to instill and maintain that type of culture in the program. I love that.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »
After Amaker failed at Michigan I can't imagine he'd be in the running.

He also failed at Seton Hall.

Too much damage for him to overcome. He has a HUGE advantage at Harvard that should get him the auto-bid for some time. It makes him look better than he is.

feedback