[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: villanova point guard  (Read 7769 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: villanova point guard
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
Stats tell the story? Really??  I was never a Warren Sapp quote, but one of the best sports quotes ever came from him; "stats are for losers"

Kudos. Never heard that one before. Can hardly wait for baseball to use it on my Moneyball friends.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
Just back from the game sitting courtside....I'm even more disgusted in person watching Derrick "run" the point. 

Buzz having the quick hook on Dawson today was also disgusting.  John missed a couple good runners in the lane, but he puts so much more pressure on a defense than Derrick.

Gardner goes for 28.  Mayo's line next to Jakes??  C'mon man.  Mayo didn't even get the start in OT - just freaking stupid.  Cannot believe Buzz this year.

Was also frustrating to see buzz send mayo to the scorers table only to bring him back over and over. Did this for about 2 minutes in the second half from about the 7min mark to the 5min mark before he finally put him in.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
I'll also note that if we had Villanova's PG on this team, everyone here would be calling for his head and saying that you can't win basketball games with a PG that barely shoots 40% from the floor and can't even shoot 30% from 3.  Further they would be saying that for a PG that limited offensively they better be able to get more than 3.1 assists per game from them.

Did he have a great game against us today, yes.  Did Derrick have a great game against ASU, yes.  Did Dawson have a great game against Georgetown, yes.

PG's are always overly criticized and rarely get the credit they deserve.  Lets look at our PGs in detail.

Derrick Wilson:
Big, strong PG.  Plays tough and is a fierce rebounder, averaging 4 rebounds per game.  Plays the scouting report to a T and does exactly what the coach asks for.  Reliable, although severely limited offensively.

Overly patient.  Has a tendency to dribble too much when the first offensive option is taken away, instead of driving or moving the ball with the dribble.  One of his biggest limitations is his tendency to always being looking to the right leading to missed offensive opportunites when plays open to his left.

Offensively a poor shooter despite good form.  When left undefended (often) he knows how to attack the hoop and can draw fouls and 3-pt plays because of his toughness.

Defensively, strong at keeping his man in front of him.  Rarely lets his man beat him off the dribble, allowing you to play off the ball players more aggressively as you do not require as much help defense.  Doesn't take chances leading to above average shooting percentage for jump shots as he isn't a threat to block the shot.

Net grade:  C his offensive weaknesses are offset by his defensive intensity, hustle and rebounding.  With the right players around him his lack of an offensive threat can be mitigated.

John Dawson:
Typical freshman with a lot of raw talent.  Has the potential to be great, but still makes a lot of simple mistakes. 

Offensively.  Patient, strong ball handler.  Has a complete offensive game.  Great court vision and knows how and when to deliver the ball.  Can create for himself by both attacking and with step-backs.  Smooth shot with range to 25 feet.  At times is soft with his passes leading to stupid turnovers early in the game.  Tends to improve as the game proceeds.

Defensively.  Still learning.  Has a hard time staying in front of his man, leading to easy scoring opportunities and fouls.  At times misses rotation assignments that lead to easy scores.  Quick hands that can allow him to get a steal.  Although he has troubles staying in front of his man, he has a knack for recovering and can sometimes make a play on the ball with his athleticism.

Grade:  Mixed bag.  When he is on his game B+.  When he is struggling, C-.  Best option is to play him in bursts and when hot let it ride.

My contention is that people see Dawson at the B+ level and think that means he always plays that way and forget the C- action.  D. Wilson is consistently a C...This team needs consistency sometimes.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
Defense, offensive rebounds and inability to get loose balls cost MU the game today. Their D was awful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »
Defense, offensive rebounds and inability to get loose balls cost MU the game today. Their D was awful.
No.  Derrick Wilson cost MU the game today...duh!i

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
I'll also note that if we had Villanova's PG on this team, everyone here would be calling for his head and saying that you can't win basketball games with a PG that barely shoots 40% from the floor and can't even shoot 30% from 3.  Further they would be saying that for a PG that limited offensively they better be able to get more than 3.1 assists per game from them.

Did he have a great game against us today, yes.  Did Derrick have a great game against ASU, yes.  Did Dawson have a great game against Georgetown, yes.

PG's are always overly criticized and rarely get the credit they deserve.  Lets look at our PGs in detail.

Derrick Wilson:
Big, strong PG.  Plays tough and is a fierce rebounder, averaging 4 rebounds per game.  Plays the scouting report to a T and does exactly what the coach asks for.  Reliable, although severely limited offensively.

Overly patient.  Has a tendency to dribble too much when the first offensive option is taken away, instead of driving or moving the ball with the dribble.  One of his biggest limitations is his tendency to always being looking to the right leading to missed offensive opportunites when plays open to his left.

Offensively a poor shooter despite good form.  When left undefended (often) he knows how to attack the hoop and can draw fouls and 3-pt plays because of his toughness.

Defensively, strong at keeping his man in front of him.  Rarely lets his man beat him off the dribble, allowing you to play off the ball players more aggressively as you do not require as much help defense.  Doesn't take chances leading to above average shooting percentage for jump shots as he isn't a threat to block the shot.

Net grade:  C his offensive weaknesses are offset by his defensive intensity, hustle and rebounding.  With the right players around him his lack of an offensive threat can be mitigated.

John Dawson:
Typical freshman with a lot of raw talent.  Has the potential to be great, but still makes a lot of simple mistakes. 

Offensively.  Patient, strong ball handler.  Has a complete offensive game.  Great court vision and knows how and when to deliver the ball.  Can create for himself by both attacking and with step-backs.  Smooth shot with range to 25 feet.  At times is soft with his passes leading to stupid turnovers early in the game.  Tends to improve as the game proceeds.

Defensively.  Still learning.  Has a hard time staying in front of his man, leading to easy scoring opportunities and fouls.  At times misses rotation assignments that lead to easy scores.  Quick hands that can allow him to get a steal.  Although he has troubles staying in front of his man, he has a knack for recovering and can sometimes make a play on the ball with his athleticism.

Grade:  Mixed bag.  When he is on his game B+.  When he is struggling, C-.  Best option is to play him in bursts and when hot let it ride.

My contention is that people see Dawson at the B+ level and think that means he always plays that way and forget the C- action.  D. Wilson is consistently a C...This team needs consistency sometimes.

Arcidiacono is a stud PG. Anyone calling for his head would have to be a head case. As for our PGs, you can't compare a Freshman getting very limited minutes with Derrick who leads the team in minutes. He's an east-west player while Dawson thinks north-south. Buzz has a philosophy that Freshmen have.t earned their playing time. Mistakes call for bench time. Upperclassmen have money in the bank. Excuses are tolerated. Like it or not, that's Buzz. It will be interesting to watch and see if Buzz love will promote Anderson to starter next year in his senior season.
Players win awards but teams win championships

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
Arcidiacono is a stud PG. Anyone calling for his head would have to be a head case. As for our PGs, you can't compare a Freshman getting very limited minutes with Derrick who leads the team in minutes. He's an east-west player while Dawson thinks north-south. Buzz has a philosophy that Freshmen have.t earned their playing time. Mistakes call for bench time. Upperclassmen have money in the bank. Excuses are tolerated. Like it or not, that's Buzz. It will be interesting to watch and see if Buzz love will promote Anderson to starter next year in his senior season.

I agree with the bolded.  The point is that we do have a lot of head cases around here and they would be calling for Archidiacono's head.  If you don't think so you haven't been watching how MU fans around here treat there PG's over the past decade.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
I think it's funny that after watching our guards, especially our PG, get badly outplayed all game, we defend him by saying he was fine.

As I always say, it isn't Derrick's fault that he's only as good as he is. But let's not pretend that he's actually good, OK. As usual, if we had just been able to trade PGs with the opponent, we would have won.

We start every single game knowing that we will have to overcome significant deficits in 3-point shooting and backcourt scoring. In today's college hoops, it is almost impossible to win a game against a quality opponent when losing both of those stats by 21, 30, 36 points.

Villanova has one good frontcourt player. It is ranked No. 4 in the nation because of its guards. That's how you win in college basketball.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:30:10 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
I think it's funny that after watching our guards, especially our PG, get badly outplayed all game, we defend him by saying he was fine.

As I always say, it isn't Derrick's fault that he's only as good as he is. But let's not pretend that he's actually good, OK. As usual, if we had just been able to trade PGs with the opponent, we would have won.

We start every single game knowing that we will have to overcome significant deficits in 3-point shooting and backcourt scoring. In today's college hoops, it is almost impossible to win a game against a quality opponent when losing both of those stats by 21, 30, 36 points.

Villanova has one good frontcourt player. It is ranked No. 4 in the nation because of its guards. That's how you win in college basketball.

Yet because of our excellent frontcourt we were able to keep with them and take the game into overtime.  It is easy to say that by switching PGs with them we would have won.  Yes, trade an average PG for a great PG and that will win a close game.

But if we had managed to win this game, they could say it is because they lack a front court.  Trade one of their bigs for Devante and they win the game.

Its as if everyone around here thinks that all 5 positions should be absolute studs.  Sometimes it does not work out that way, injuries, transfers etc make college basketball tough.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:40:23 PM by forgetful »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
this - what's better - De Wilson's FT % or his layup %....

i love how people say that if the players were better around De Wilson, he would not be a liability.

Umm, is it not the job of PG to create for others and make others players better.  the Nova PG sure was able to make shots, drive, and setup other players.

Keep making excuses that it's not the PG play, I will keep making arrangements for than MU 2013/2014 .500 team banner....

How many missed free throws, balls lost in the lane, precious late game seconds dribbling around the perimeter and lack of intensity bringing the ball up. If you saw the game you witnessed what a point guard really does to help his team win..

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
this - what's better - De Wilson's FT % or his layup %....

i love how people say that if the players were better around De Wilson, he would not be a liability.

Umm, is it not the job of PG to create for others and make others players better.  the Nova PG sure was able to make shots, drive, and setup other players.

Keep making excuses that it's not the PG play, I will keep making arrangements for than MU 2013/2014 .500 team banner....

Derrick had 7 assists today.  He would have had more had it not been for several missed wide open lay ups.  Derrick was fine.  We lost because we let them get offensive rebound after offensive rebound and defended poorly.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »

THIS... there was no "scrappy" in this team today. I saw little to no diving for loose balls, no hustle plays, not giving that extra effort we've been used to seeing! 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Yet because of our excellent frontcourt we were able to keep with them and take the game into overtime.  It is easy to say that by switching PGs with them we would have won.  Yes, trade an average PG for a great PG and that will win a close game.

But if we had managed to win this game, they could say it is because they lack a front court.  Trade one of their bigs for Devante and they win the game.

Its as if everyone around here thinks that all 5 positions should be absolute studs.  Sometimes it does not work out that way, injuries, transfers etc make college basketball tough.

My basic point is that we have a starting PG who, well, I'm not going to recap what he is, but he wouldn't start for lots and lots and lots of teams. Still, the apologists among us say he would be fine if the players surrounding him just did their jobs better.

And we have a starting 2 who is a low-major player who probably wouldn't start for a single other high-major team. Still, the apologists among us say he would be fine if we would just repeatedly set him double-screens.

I say it's very difficult to win basketball games against good opponents with a backcourt that needs apologists to make excuses for it.

As for your point about what Villanova fans might have said about their frontcourt if they lost ...

1. Villanova has won repeatedly despite its limited frontcourt, including sensational wins over Kansas and Iowa, because they don't have to make excuses for their outstanding guards.

2. They didn't lose, so it's moot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:28 PM »
There's a lot of anger here.  I get it, we lost. But we took a top 5 team (probably top 10 after Monday) to overtime when we ourselves are a fringe bubble team. The coach must have done something right.

I didn't watch the game, I'm stuck at a staff retreat in Weimar freaking Texas. So I can't really comment on how the game went. But the thing that sticks out to me most in the box score is the fact that Nova grabbed 13 offensive boards and shot 48% from the floor. That is NOT a PG problem. They have ONE player over 6"7. How the hell did they get 13 offensive boards and what I assume were several easy putbacks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »
Can't look at the box score for all the answers in this one.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
There's a lot of anger here.  I get it, we lost. But we took a top 5 team (probably top 10 after Monday) to overtime when we ourselves are a fringe bubble team. The coach must have done something right.

I didn't watch the game, I'm stuck at a staff retreat in Weimar freaking Texas. So I can't really comment on how the game went. But the thing that sticks out to me most in the box score is the fact that Nova grabbed 13 offensive boards and shot 48% from the floor. That is NOT a PG problem. They have ONE player over 6"7. How the hell did they get 13 offensive boards and what I assume were several easy putbacks.

Who goes on a retreat in Weimar, TX.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 09:15:11 PM »
I'd tell 'em to take their job and stick it so far up...
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
Who goes on a retreat in Weimar, TX.

I'm joining the committee next year just to make sure it doesn't happen again
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »
tough loss  really shows the value of a multi dimensional point guard   he killed us!!! 

You mean the PG that committed the biggest bone-headed play of the game ... Fouling Mayo which allowed us to tie?

You mean the PG that was shooting 4-11 (2-6 from 3pt)?

You mean the PG the blew FTs late in the game to let us back in it?

Yes, he won the game in OT but did as much as Mayo to cause
OT in the first place.

Don't get me wrong he's a good player and I'd love to have him.  Yes he's better than Derrick.

But let's stop with the traditional love, he has his flaws too.  That was not Jabari Parker out there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
You just watched a PG control the overtime (Actually you saw one against G'Town as well) and you say our PG WASN'T a problem today?

Wilson   36 minutes
Dawson   8 minutes

That is ridiculous!!!!

Derrick wasn't the biggest problem against Nova.

But that break down in minutes is a problem.  Regardless if you think Derrick should get the majority or not, he can't be playing 36 minutes and expect to be effective late in the game.

Dawson wasn't great either, but I think he was hampered in the second half by being put in with essentially a "second unit" of players.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
You mean the PG that committed the biggest bone-headed play of the game ... Fouling Mayo which allowed us to tie?

You mean the PG that was shooting 4-11 (2-6 from 3pt)?

You mean the PG the blew FTs late in the game to let us back in it?

Yes, he won the game in OT but did as much as Mayo to cause
OT in the first place.

Don't get me wrong he's a good player and I'd love to have him.  Yes he's better than Derrick.

But let's stop with the traditional love, he has his flaws too.  That was not Jabari Parker out there.
No I believe he means the PG that had 20 points, 11 assists and repeatedly whupped Derrick's ass with the dribble--THAT PG.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 09:08:58 AM »
It is obvious that Wilson and Thomas are not high Major players.It is really exposed when you play them together.Jake can't create his own shot and Derrick is not a good penetrator to create any open looks.Hilliard,Bell and Arcidiacono now that is 3 good high major players.Nothing against Wilson and Thomas but they are in over there head which is no fault of there own.Good guys.Lets support  the team and things  will be better in the future.Duane Wilson,JaJuan Johnson and Deonte Burton,you 3 need to be patient.I have seen many great players at MU that have been dissappointed in there first year and ended up having great careers.Look no further than Odartey Blankson who played 2 years,started as a sophomore and transferred.Probably the biggest mistake he ever made.He listened to the wrong people.Your time will come and you will be part of a great team.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
No I believe he means the PG that had 20 points, 11 assists and repeatedly whupped Derrick's ass with the dribble--THAT PG.

I said he was a good player and I'd love to have him.  But 10 of his 20 points was from the line after we intentionally fouled him late.  Another good chunk was in OT (which he did as much as anyone to cause happen).

He played a good game but many others have played better against us.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
One thing I've noticed before but was really driven home in this game:

If the opponent has a good PG, it can afford to extend the shot clock, confident that it will still get a decent scoring opportunity as the clock winds down inside 10 or 5 seconds.

For us, if the ball is in Derrick's hands as that clock winds down -- as it so often is -- we almost always are resigned to an empty possession.

Villanova's guards can start to create a play with 10 seconds left on the shot clock and the outcome often will be good.

If Marquette's starting guards are in the same situation, we get either a wild drive from Derrick, an off-balance heave from Jake or a pass to Jamil resulting in his off-balance heave.

It's a major deal.

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Granted it's not until 2015, but I really think Nick Noskowiak is going to be our version of Arcidiacono. Pretty comparable ratings-wise. Both are four-star point guards with similar skill sets and build.  Noskowiak is currently ranked 52nd in the Rivals 150 Class of 2015. Arcidiacono graduated with a ranking of 57 in the class of 2012. So you can whine all you want about why Buzz doesn't have a crafty point guard like Arcidiacono, but the reality he has one on the way. Just give it time.