'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hey Doug  (Read 9139 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: Hey Doug
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
No
Remedial Science and Special Education

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
Here is what people dont realize.  The people that are most uncomfortable with Race are White people that are never around black people.  I work with Black students and Latino Students every day and and I often use my whiteness as a joke.  I also feel comfortable to joke around about stereotypes with my students as it addresses the racial issue that otherwise is bubbling underneath the surface.  For instants yesterday in class a black student asked me "why black dudes always winning on that dancing with the stars show"  I said "Cause white dude aint got no rythym"

Class laughs, Ice is broken, Lesson goes smoothly.

I'm picturing you with a puppet named Franklin....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-PkutG_Q2Q

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Here is what people dont realize.  The people that are most uncomfortable with Race are White people that are never around black people.  I work with Black students and Latino Students every day and and I often use my whiteness as a joke.  I also feel comfortable to joke around about stereotypes with my students as it addresses the racial issue that otherwise is bubbling underneath the surface.  For instants yesterday in class a black student asked me "why black dudes always winning on that dancing with the stars show"  I said "Cause white dude aint got no rythym"

This is great comedy. If it isn't, the bolded reminds me again why our society is failing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
So are you teaching Ebonics?  

I speak Jive, myself.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

leever

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »

Little Dougie's comment wasn't funny and neither was yours. 

Are you currently enrolled in an ESL course while you are teaching?

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
Yes a typo is why society is failing ::). And I don't care if you don't think it was funny it is meant as an icebreaker

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
Little Dougie's comment wasn't funny and neither was yours. 

Are you currently enrolled in an ESL course while you are teaching?

Uh oh, someone's onion thin skin is in danger!

leever

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
Yes a typo is why society is failing ::). And I don't care if you don't think it was funny it is meant as an icebreaker

Putting your "typo" aside, I find it interesting that you and Mr. Gottleib choose to use your "whiteness" as a joke.  Serious question - Do your Black and Latino students frequently use their blackness and Latino-ness as jokes?  As a white man can you poke fun at the Blacks and Latinos or is that the "racial issue that otherwise is bubbling underneath"?  Are they allowed to use your "whiteness" as a joke?

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
Putting your "typo" aside, I find it interesting that you and Mr. Gottleib choose to use your "whiteness" as a joke.  Serious question - Do your Black and Latino students frequently use their blackness and Latino-ness as jokes?  As a white man can you poke fun at the Blacks and Latinos or is that the "racial issue that otherwise is bubbling underneath"?  Are they allowed to use your "whiteness" as a joke?
Yes they joke about their own racial stereotypes alot. That is what is so awesome about working Racine. It is a mixed community where people are actually comfortable joking about their own racial stereotypes.     Teachers with good relationships with their students often talk about And acknowledge those stereotypes with the class.  Race is not an easy topic to address and to be honest Gottlieb who works with and has been around black people his whole life thought it would be all fun.     

feedback