[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ranking next year  (Read 7239 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Ranking next year
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
This is week 17 of the season and we will be ranked 15 to 20 (out later today).

Last year's week 17 IU was ranked 18.  Week 18 last year IU was ranked 15.  IU went to the S16 last year and no further.  IU was preseason #1 this year.  At a minimum, IU showed you do not have to be FF to be preseason #1 as many here believe/suggest.

Why not MU making the top 5 preseason next year?  This year team is no better or worse than last year' IU team.  As others have noted, 2 through 5 we will be about as good as anyone in the country (if all the assumptions in the first post happen).

Indiana went to the Sweet 16 last year before losing to the eventual national champions. They returned almost their entire team for this season, including Cody Zeller, a consensus All-American and PoY favorite.

Marquette has had a wonderful season and hopefully still has a month of wonderfulness left. And that's the point. If we get to the Sweet 16, we'll be a top-15, maybe even top-10 team going into next season. Having said that, if you can find a consensus All-American/PoY favorite on our roster, you have far better vision than I do!

I wasn't saying Marquette can't be ranked in the top 5 going into next season. It could happen, especially if we get to the Final Four this year. All I was saying is that Marquette fans can believe we are the very best team in history, but that won't affect the ranking because, unfortunately, we're not the ones doing the ranking. If we go deep into March -- or better yet, into April -- and return everybody who is expected to return, we will be ranked very high going into 2013-14.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
Marquette has ZERO chance of being ranked in the top 5 going into next season.

Indiana, Kansas, Duke, Syracuse and Louisville all have higher rated recruiting classes than MU, all are currently ranked higher than MU and, most importantly, all have more name recognition than MU. This list doesn't even include Kentucky and North Carolina who will likely be given the benefit of the doubt by a lot of voters too. MU will likely open the season in the 15-20 range and at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter much.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »
Marquette has ZERO chance of being ranked in the top 5 going into next season.

Indiana, Kansas, Duke, Syracuse and Louisville all have higher rated recruiting classes than MU, all are currently ranked higher than MU and, most importantly, all have more name recognition than MU. This list doesn't even include Kentucky and North Carolina who will likely be given the benefit of the doubt by a lot of voters too. MU will likely open the season in the 15-20 range and at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter much.

MU will be ahead of Indiana with 4 starters leaving, Kansas loses top 2 players, Syracuse loses there backcourt, yes, Louisville might be #1 and Kentucky #2, with NC in the Top 10 but
so will MU if they have Otule, Gardner back, Duane Wilson should have all the shots he wants from the top of the key as that shot is wide open, he has range, no reason MU shoud not
be in the Top Ten.  Also, Georgetown will lose Porter.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
MU will be ahead of Indiana with 4 starters leaving, Kansas loses top 2 players, Syracuse loses there backcourt, yes, Louisville might be #1 and Kentucky #2, with NC in the Top 10 but
so will MU if they have Otule, Gardner back, Duane Wilson should have all the shots he wants from the top of the key as that shot is wide open, he has range, no reason MU shoud not
be in the Top Ten.  Also, Georgetown will lose Porter.

Indiana has the #3 recruiting class coming in to go along with last year's top 10 class. Kansas and Syracuse both have top 5 classes coming in.

MU is a top 15-20 team this year that will lose their PG but you honestly think that Otule, Gardner and the #55 recruit in the country will be enough to get MU into the top 10 to start the season? I'm not saying the team won't end up in the top 10 or even be #1 at some point in the season. Who knows? But to say they'll be ranked in the top 10 to start the season is just plain ignorant.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
I think if we only lose Trent and Jr we would possibly be Top 10.  I agree we would not be top 5.  It depends what happens the rest of the way.  We win out and win 1 game in Big East and 2 NCAA we would get some hard looks in the TOP 10. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »
I think if we only lose Trent and Jr we would possibly be Top 10.  I agree we would not be top 5.  It depends what happens the rest of the way.  We win out and win 1 game in Big East and 2 NCAA we would get some hard looks in the TOP 10. 
I think we would need 3 wins (elite 8) to get serious consideration for a Top 10 spot. Then again it depends who we beat and what our national ranking going into the tourney.

Basically, there is no way we move up after the season. There are too many good teams with better young talent. We either need to be in the top 10 rankings by a deep run in the BEast tourney or finish in the top 8 of the ncaa tourney to have a shot. I think our magic number is six more wins this year. Split them however you want.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
I'm not saying the team won't end up in the top 10 or even be #1 at some point in the season. Who knows? But to say they'll be ranked in the top 10 to start the season is just plain ignorant.

My sense is the writers realize that they have undervalued Buzz the last few years.  They now finally get it.  So, I'll bet they will "fully value," if not overvalue, MU next season.

Also, the polls are out and we are 15 now.  If we win both road games this week, we might move up a spot or two (only because the history suggests a team or two in front of us will lose).  Make the finals of BE championship next week, which is not that much of a stretch, and top 10 (as in 10th) in two weeks is not out of the question. (side note, Jake hits the shot against UWGB and we are 10 right now.)

Now that Buzz will no longer be undervalued and this might be a top 10 team in two weeks, no way our presason rank is less than this year's end of season rank.  How can this team be 15 now and the writers say 15 to 20 next preseason?  Our preseason rank will be higher, not lower.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:41:25 AM by AnotherMU84 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
My sense is the writers realize that they have undervalued Buzz the last few years.  They now finally get it.  So, I'll bet they will "fully value," if not overvalue, MU next season.

Also, the polls are out and we are 15 now.  If we win both road games this week, we might move up a spot or two (only because the history suggests a team or two in front of us will lose).  Make the finals of BE championship next week, which is not that much of a stretch, and top 10 (as in 10th) in two weeks is not out of the question. (side note, Jake hits the shot against UWGB and we are 10 right now.)

Now that Buzz will no longer be undervalued and this might be a top 10 team in two weeks, no way our presason rank is less than this year's end of season rank.  How can this team be 15 now and the writers say 15 to 20 next preseason?  Our preseason rank will be higher, not lower.

Because Marquette is not a blueblood, has no current national star players, has no big-name national recruits coming in, will be losing 2 starters, teams ranked below them will get more national pub and have higher ranked recruiting classes and many writers probably view MU as "top 15 by default" this season.

Look, I hope that MU goes wire-to-wire #1 next season. I just don't see any way they'll be ranked as high going into the season as many on here believe.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
Because Marquette is not a blueblood

This year preseason

#4 tOSU
#5 Michigan
#6 NC State

They are no more blueblood that MU

has no current national star players

This year, yes.  Next year see Blue, Vander he will be a BE preseason POY and possibly on a National POY preseason short list.

has no big-name national recruits coming in

Yes no top 10 players but the class is top 5 to 7 depending on who you listen too.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »
This year preseason

#4 tOSU
#5 Michigan
#6 NC State

This year, yes.  Next year see Blue, Vander he will be a BE preseason POY and possibly on a National POY preseason short list.

Yes no top 10 players but the class is top 5 to 7 depending on who you listen too.

OSU, Michigan and NC State all fit into the categories of having "national star players" and "big-name national recruits."

I like Vander as much as anyone on this board, but he's not going to be on the "short list" for National POY coming into next season.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »
Because Marquette is not a blueblood, has no current national star players, has no big-name national recruits coming in, will be losing 2 starters, teams ranked below them will get more national pub and have higher ranked recruiting classes and many writers probably view MU as "top 15 by default" this season.

Look, I hope that MU goes wire-to-wire #1 next season. I just don't see any way they'll be ranked as high going into the season as many on here believe.

Last year we finished the season ranked #9. We lost 37.4 ppg, 13.2 rbs and 5.2 assts from that team and added two recruits whose were ranked around 90 and 130. We're now rated #15 and lose 16 ppg, 7.6 rbs and 6.2 assts. We add 3 top 60 4stars and one first team juco AA to the mix and should have Todd Mayo for the entire season. I think we squeeze into the the top 10 preseason next year.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:19 PM »
I'd guess 11. They usually put a few undeserving blue blood teams in there which will push MU out of the top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if they were anywhere from 11-20 though. It really depends on who comes back from other teams and what not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
This year preseason

#4 tOSU
#5 Michigan
#6 NC State

I'm a Vander fan. But he's not gonna be preseason anything if he doesn't get back out of single-digits and lead us somewhere these next few weeks.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
I'm a Vander fan. But he's not gonna be preseason anything if he doesn't get back out of single-digits and lead us somewhere these next few weeks.

So Vander's projection for next year is an emotional response to the last game and not the 25 that came before?

Because you seem to be saying if he explodes for 25 tomorrow night against Rutgers he is back on the list.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
This year preseason

#4 tOSU
#5 Michigan
#6 NC State

I'd say Clevlin Melvin is gonna be preseason POY
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:24 PM »
So Vander's projection for next year is an emotional response to the last game and not the 25 that came before?

Because you seem to be saying if he explodes for 25 tomorrow night against Rutgers he is back on the list.

Last 3 games: 20 pts, 8 turnovers.

And it's not even a reflection of that. Vander is a 14-point scorer. He is a nice player. But he is not Wade. He's not even DJO. Not yet, not at this point. Just as it's little more than hope to call him a future NBA player -- not a single mock draft has him as a draft pick in either 2013 OR 2104 -- it's little more than hope to call him a legitimate national PoY prospect.

Look, I don't want to talk bad about the kid, and I don't think I am. I've defended him lots of times here when others were ripping him. I simply strive for everybody being realistic.

If some don't see the difference between the national perception of Cody Zeller coming into this season with his Indiana supporting cast vs. the likely perception of Vander Blue going into next season with his MU supporting cast, then, OK, we'll be No. 1 going into next season.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
Last year we finished the season ranked #9. We lost 37.4 ppg, 13.2 rbs and 5.2 assts from that team and added two recruits whose were ranked around 90 and 130. We're now rated #15 and lose 16 ppg, 7.6 rbs and 6.2 assts. We add 3 top 60 4stars and one first team juco AA to the mix and should have Todd Mayo for the entire season. I think we squeeze into the the top 10 preseason next year.
I will bet you and all other comers that we are not preseason Top 10 next year.  I don't care what happens in this year's tournament*, there is no chance it will happen.  

*I reserve the right to welsh on this bet if we win the whole damn thing!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
Indiana has the #3 recruiting class coming in to go along with last year's top 10 class. Kansas and Syracuse both have top 5 classes coming in.

MU is a top 15-20 team this year that will lose their PG but you honestly think that Otule, Gardner and the #55 recruit in the country will be enough to get MU into the top 10 to start the season? I'm not saying the team won't end up in the top 10 or even be #1 at some point in the season. Who knows? But to say they'll be ranked in the top 10 to start the season is just plain ignorant.

Kentucky had the #1 recruiting class last year, how are they doing?  The year Kentucky won they had 6 NBA players with 3 having some experience, you will never tell me that happens
that much, mainly never.  Indiana will not have as much experience as MU, I do not agree.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »
I say the Preseason rank for 2013-14 will be #15.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
[quote author=MerrittsMustache link=topic=36607.msg460748#msg460748 date=

[/quote]

If MU finishes between 10 and 15 this year and returns 8 of its 10 man rotation while adding a top 10 recruiting class I don't think saying we'll start next year in the lower portion of the top  10 is ignorant.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Kentucky had the #1 recruiting class last year, how are they doing?  The year Kentucky won they had 6 NBA players with 3 having some experience, you will never tell me that happens
that much, mainly never.  Indiana will not have as much experience as MU, I do not agree.

Kentucky opened the season at #3 in the country. That's what this debate is about - preseason rankings.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
I will bet you and all other comers that we are not preseason Top 10 next year.  I don't care what happens in this year's tournament*, there is no chance it will happen.  

*I reserve the right to welsh on this bet if we win the whole damn thing!
I think there is a respectable chance that it happens. I also think, if it happens there is a respectable chance we are overrated. I rather be underrated at start of year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »
I hope we're ranked super-high before the season because it gives us a better chance of keeping a high rank all year, which means we'd get to go to a BCS bowl. All we have to do is play East Tennessee State, Rice, BYU-Hawaii and Savannah State in the non-conference schedule, and we'll be golden. If our QB stays healthy, maybe we can even win the mythical national championship!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:33 PM »
Next year's class is stacked, and I think we can agree that the 2015 MU team could be still better.

Next year a top 10, and even a top 5 preseason ranking can be important to recruiting.  Only very high level players will consider MU because of the lack of playing time.  Or, only players confident they will get playing time no matter who is on MU will come.  (i.e., Kevon Looney or players at that level).

Or, to prevent a bust of a class, we need positive buzz out of the gate (no pun intended) otherwise I fear next fall's class could disappoint.

Thoughts?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
Next year's class is stacked, and I think we can agree that the 2015 MU team could be still better.

Next year a top 10, and even a top 5 preseason ranking can be important to recruiting.  Only very high level players will consider MU because of the lack of playing time.  Or, only players confident they will get playing time no matter who is on MU will come.  (i.e., Kevon Looney or players at that level).

Or, to prevent a bust of a class, we need positive buzz out of the gate (no pun intended) otherwise I fear next fall's class could disappoint.

Thoughts?

Only needs a big man to come in and start, there must be somebody out there who wants to do that.  It would be nice to do some damage at the Garden next week, more PR for
Buzz, bring on Louisville, time to play them again.

feedback