'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why we could get Jabari Parker  (Read 13690 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Why we could get Jabari Parker
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Parker_(basketball)

Sorry, I thought Dad went to Univ of Washington.  I know I read something about a connection, can't recall.

WIKI has him to Texas A and M.  Actually a nice writeup to read.

Yes Sonny went to A&M...Sonny and Romar played together on the Golden State Warriors...that is the connection.  A strong one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »
Almost every time, but not this time.  Parker is not your typical HS top recruit.  In fact, he's quite different.  Religion is a big factor with him.  His father has worked with top HS players for quite a while, often with Jabari joining in the workouts.  His favorite statement regarding Jabari is; "Basketball is what Jabari does, not who he is."  His family will be be blown away simply by having Calipari in their living room.   I think the hero worship of basketball players atmosphere at Kentucky and the entitled attitude of some of their recruits will be a negative as well as the distance.  Nor do I think that Calipari will be able to sell them on any unique ability to develop Jabari.  Kentucky does have more experience than anyone else with handling players who are one and dones.  However, the only people who aren't assuming that Jabari won't be a one and done are his family.

Whether he picks UK or not, they will almost certainly be in the race. If I had to guess right now, I'd assume that he ends up at one of five schools: DePaul (proximity), Michigan State (close and history of FFs), Marquette (close and Taylor), Kentucky (not too far and recent history of top talent), or Washington (Sonny/Romar connection). I'm sure others will be interested, but I think it will end up one of those. And despit the religion, I just don't see BYU. That distance coupled with the lack of a personal connection...and level of competition.

I would say MSU, UK, and Washington are the top three, probably in that order. We may be in the mix, but I still think it's a distant possibility.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
If I had to make a prediction today, I think if he chose not to stay close to home, it would be between UK and Duke. If he chose to stay close, it would be MSU or Illinois but Illinois I doubt can get him at this point. If we somehow lose players before this fall, which is when Parker said he wants to decide, and we have open scholarships, then I think we could seriously be in the picture. I don't think he would want to go to BYU just because they are mormon because BYU is nowhere near building a championship team which is what Parker wants.

You can assume that being a NCAA champion contender is more important to Jabari than going to a predominately Mormon school if you want, just remember what they say about assume.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
Lexington is a 4-5hr drive from Chicago, not a flight

Lexington is not a 4-5 hour drive from Chicago.  More like 6-7... not exactly something you want to do 20x a year during the winter.

But I'm sure Calipari would send UK's jet to pick up the Parker family if that's what it took.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
Lexington is not a 4-5 hour drive from Chicago.  More like 6-7... not exactly something you want to do 20x a year during the winter.

But I'm sure Calipari would send UK's jet to pick up the Parker family if that's what it took.

Cal could arrange a relocation to Lexington for the whole family. A house, cars and a job where attendance is optional can all be part of the "package".

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »

You must obide by the speed limit ;) I personally want to get out of Indiana as fast as humanly possible when I make the drive.  It's 6 if you hit traffic with me behind the wheel.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:21 PM »

An obvious NCAA violation.  Having Sonny get a job as a consultant with a company owned by a Kentucky alum that had a private jet to fly him to work on game days would be the way a the pros from Kentucky might get it done.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
If I recall correctly, MU was a finalist for Shannon Brown, who was a top 5 player. Sort of a wishful thinking finalist, since Michigan State was a foregone conclusion for a while, but MU definitely was in his top 3 or so.

Also a finalist for Brian Butch who was RSCI #7.

It was Tom Crean's failure in getting Iman Shumpert that was the "final straw" in him bailing on Marquette.

I will always resent his leaving for two reasons: 1) Not telling the players and literally leaving in the middle of the night; and 2) letting one recruit dictate his life.
We Are Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »
An obvious NCAA violation.  Having Sonny get a job as a consultant with a company owned by a Kentucky alum that had a private jet to fly him to work on game days would be the way a the pros from Kentucky might get it done.

NCAA violation?  You realize that this is Calipari that we're talking about, right?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »
It was Tom Crean's failure in getting Iman Shumpert that was the "final straw" in him bailing on Marquette.

I will always resent his leaving for two reasons: 1) Not telling the players and literally leaving in the middle of the night; and 2) letting one recruit dictate his life.

Shumpert did not come to MU because Crean was not good enough, not MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
You bashin' Crean again?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »
Lexington is a 4-5hr drive from Chicago, not a flight
A pretty comfortable one in a 2012 SL 500, too.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
A pretty comfortable one in a 2012 SL 500, too.

I'd guess a 2013 Range Rover.

SL 500s are for country clubs.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
NCAA violation?  You realize that this is Calipari that we're talking about, right?

point blankin'

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
Gatorade Player of the Year.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-basketball/story/_/id/7804376/jabari-parker-named-gatorade-national-boys-basketball-player-year

This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the gatorade POY be one of the top recruits in the nation (muhammed, noels, etc)? Is Parker, right now, better than them?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the gatorade POY be one of the top recruits in the nation (muhammed, noels, etc)? Is Parker, right now, better than them?

Yes, he is.  I can't remember which one between Muhammed and Noels was a 2013 recruit but reclassified to 2012 so late that he could not even be considered for McDonald's All American (I think it was Muhammed), but Parker was ranked 1st in the 2013 rankings while Muhammed/Noels was ranked 3rd in the 2013 rankings.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
Noel reclassified to 2012. And yeah...Parker as a junior is already the best HS player in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
You know while we're all trying to figure out where Jabari is going to college, it just occurred to me that he has a two year Mormon mission commitment coming up that would derail things for a couple of years.  Would the Mormon Church give the national HS player of the year a pass?  It could be argued that he's doing more for the Church as a high profile basketball player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
You know while we're all trying to figure out where Jabari is going to college, it just occurred to me that he has a two year Mormon mission commitment coming up that would derail things for a couple of years.  Would the Mormon Church give the national HS player of the year a pass?  It could be argued that he's doing more for the Church as a high profile basketball player.

It is not a required mission for the Mormon faith.  It is strongly recommended/suggested, but not all Mormons go on a 2 year mission.

The volleyball club I coach for runs a coach's clinic each year and the past 2 years 1 of the coaches who has run it is BYU's head men's volleyball coach and we talked to him about the recruiting process for them in regards to that for a while at lunch once.  Pretty interesting.  The person going on the mission pays entirely for it by themselves.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

so he'll come here for a year, do some gambling and then never be heard from again?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
so he'll come here for a year, do some gambling and then never be heard from again?

Or he could go on his mission and involuntarily end up starring in adult films (with a stunt cock, of course).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
Or he could go on his mission and involuntarily end up starring in adult films (with a stunt cock, of course).

I borrowed that DVD from dr blackheart.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »

Too bad he couldn't get the same urine tester as Ryan Braun.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Is Mortonsen holed up in Utah? Another of Crean's gems.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback