[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2010 NBA Mock Draft  (Read 13927 times)

MUBalla23

• Starter
2010 NBA Mock Draft
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
It has Lazar going 45th to the Raptors
http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

Markusquette

• All American
Re: 2010 NBA Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
NBAdraft.net is a great resource for player profiles but they have consistently proven to be nothing more.  Regardless, I love the site, but they had all the MU guys getting picked at certain points last year and we all know the outcome. 

However, I do think Lazar will be taken, and I actually agree with the range they have him at now.  Some teams might want him early second round.  I'd love to see the Bucks pick him up with one of their second rounders.  I think there are going to be a number of second round steals this year.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
Still early for these but Draftexpress is a quality site.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Still early for these but Draftexpress is a quality site.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

I was surprised to see Zoubek on there.  I know he is big, but never thought he was effective enough at the college level for NBA consideration.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
I think that is a pretty good prediction

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »
I think it says something about how screwed up NBA teams priorities are if Lazar doesn't get drafted.  Why wouldn't you want to take a summer league/training camp flier on a guy who finished top 5 all time in points and rebounds at a school that ESPN called one of the 30 best all time programs in the country?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »
I think it says something about how screwed up NBA teams priorities are if Lazar doesn't get drafted.  Why wouldn't you want to take a summer league/training camp flier on a guy who finished top 5 all time in points and rebounds at a school that ESPN called one of the 30 best all time programs in the country?

You can say what you want about the NBA, but if you're a GM of a professional team what would you do? Draft a 6'6" PF that isn't extremely athletic with an ok J and a great motor that you know will be too slow to guard 3's and too short to guard 4's, or draft an athletic freak that hasn't proven anything yet but has a slight chance of being a rotational player?

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
Why wouldn't you want to take a summer league/training camp flier on a guy who finished top 5 all time in points and rebounds at a school that ESPN called one of the 30 best all time programs in the country?

Can you explain how this would be an indicator as to how successful he would be in the NBA? Sorry to inform you, but these days, if a college player even sticks around for 4 years, he obviously isnt that good (or that his game doesnt translate well to the NBA).

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
Can you explain how this would be an indicator as to how successful he would be in the NBA? Sorry to inform you, but these days, if a college player even sticks around for 4 years, he obviously isnt that good (or that his game doesnt translate well to the NBA).
Tim Duncan does kind of suck doesn't he?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »

Tim Duncan came out of college in 1997. I'm not sure that still counts as "these days" as the original poster said.

Now that I think about it, who is the most successful NBA player (since, say, 2005) who spent 4 years in college?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

I wonder how long Wesley can keep fooling them in the NBA if that's the case.

I think you are right that MU being a top 30 program isn't an indicator, but to say because you played 4 years you won't amount to anything in the NBA is wrong.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 09:35:28 AM »

I bet I can create a longer list than you can (at least 20x longer). And let's start post-2000 (the early and mid-90's was a different era for college babsketball).

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
Tim Duncan came out of college in 1997. I'm not sure that still counts as "these days" as the original poster said.

Now that I think about it, who is the most successful NBA player (since, say, 2005) who spent 4 years in college?

Danny Granger and Brandon Roy are the biggest names...and of course Steve Novak  ;D

goldeneagles09

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »
Jameer Nelson stayed for 4 years even though he won various awards during his undergraduate years. Now he's the starting PG on a Championship-caliber team.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
Ummm Tim Tebow, hello

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
Jameer Nelson stayed for 4 years even though he won various awards during his undergraduate years. Now he's the starting PG on a Championship-caliber team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his problem was playing at a small school and teams being weary of him. Kind of like S. Curry. It's not like Lazar had such a great year that was flashing with potential. He was just solid through his whole college career and added a lot of stats. He did great things at MU, but its not like he led us to anything like an elite 16 bid that would get him noticed.

W. Matthews is the exception to the rule. How about the other 2 amigos?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »

I'm an All-Star. No, really, I am.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »

Let's take a look at his teammates....

Vince Carter........3 years
Dwight Howard....didnt go
Rashard Lewis.....didnt go
Jason Williams.....arguable (2 seasons played)
Adonal Foyle.......3 years
Brandon Bass......2 years

4 year college players

Nelson
Anthony Johnson
Matt Barnes
JJ Redick

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
You can say what you want about the NBA, but if you're a GM of a professional team what would you do? Draft a 6'6" PF that isn't extremely athletic with an ok J and a great motor that you know will be too slow to guard 3's and too short to guard 4's, or draft an athletic freak that hasn't proven anything yet but has a slight chance of being a rotational player?

My criticism was more leveled at the "pick a Euro and just leave him there for a couple of years to see if he develops" crap.  Such a weak 2nd round pick.  If you aren't required to give the guy a contract, then why not roll the dice on the guy who managed to put up numbers that no one else ever did at a high profile school?

And even to your point, we're talking about drafting something where you know EXACTLY what you get, and drafting something that might exist in the future if you're lucky.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »

I flat out said it would be a summer league/training camp flier.  I'm not saying it's an obvious indicator of anything, I'm saying that NBA GMs know exactly what they're getting with Lazar.

I had the same criticism of the draft last year when Jerel broke a 40 year old scoring record and couldn't get a sniff.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

Tyler Hansbrough.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »
Tyler Hansbrough.

If that were true, it would be really sad.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
My criticism was more leveled at the "pick a Euro and just leave him there for a couple of years to see if he develops" crap.  Such a weak 2nd round pick.  If you aren't required to give the guy a contract, then why not roll the dice on the guy who managed to put up numbers that no one else ever did at a high profile school?

And even to your point, we're talking about drafting something where you know EXACTLY what you get, and drafting something that might exist in the future if you're lucky.

The problem is that you know exactly what you will get with Lazar. He's a borderline roster guy and nothing more. Where as a Euro may suck, but at least there is a chance you get a rotational player. There's also benefits to having a Euro stashed. It saves a roster spot for a vet that can contribute. Why waste a roster spot and money on a guy who you don't think is ready. Look at Ersan for the Bucks. He's a second round pick that spent a couple seasons in Europe. If he was a 4-year college player (he's only 22 right now), he would've been a rookie this year. Instead this is his second year on the Bucks and got 2 years on a team (FC Barcelona) in a league way more competitive than the NCAA.

Trust me, I would love to see hometown guys on the Bucks over Euros, but they are doing what's best for them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:42:44 AM by martyconlonontherun »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
If that were true, it would be really sad.

I retract my answer.   I read the question wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »
Notable 4-year players in the draft:

2005 - Danny Granger, Hakim Warrick, David Lee, Travis Diener, Ryan Gomes
2006 - Brandon Roy, Randy Foye, Steve Novak, Craig Smith
2007 - Al Thornton, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry
2008 - Jason Thompson, Roy Hibbert
2009 - Terrence Williams, Tyler Hansbrough, Darren Collison, Toney Douglas, Sam Young, Marcus Thornton, AJ Price, Wesley Matthews

It's not the cream of the crop, but guys like Granger, Lee, Roy, Foye, Thornton, and Hibbert are looking like very good pros. I included MU guys, not to say that Diener and Novak have had comparable careers, but they're our guys. This past year was a very good year for seniors. All of the guys listed are averaging at least 7 ppg, which at least shows quality contribution from a rookie.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback