collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: And we start off the max contracts with...  (Read 4145 times)

shiloh26

• Starter
And we start off the max contracts with...
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »
... Rudy Gay? 

Reportedly 5 years/81.6 million, the max he can receive.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/1/1547692/nba-free-agency-rudy-gay-re-sign-grizzlies-max-contract

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: And we start off the max contracts with...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »
Wouldn't you have loved to win the sperm lottery and collect mega sheckles for running around in your undies?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
 At least its not the $119 million that the Hawks are giving away. They are paying about 40 million more than they should. Six years, $119 million. Hawks can have him for that much, he's not that good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Joe-Johnson-to-sign-a-ridiculous-deal-with-the-A?urn=nba,252877
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »
... Rudy Gay? 

Reportedly 5 years/81.6 million, the max he can receive.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/1/1547692/nba-free-agency-rudy-gay-re-sign-grizzlies-max-contract

This is why the Grizzlies are the worst team in Basketball.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »
Both of these just officially busted my ESPN-Free-Agency-Predictor Bracket...

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »
Not surprised Rudy gay got a max contract, but I am surprised it came from Memphis on day 1.  I was expecting a team who lost out on LBJ, Bosh, Wade to sign him to max and try and promote that as a crowning jewel for an organization, but apparently Memphis decided they wanted to hang on to this "jewel" lol

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
The kind of jack being thrown around is mind boggling.

Johnson: 120 million for 6 years--foolish!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
What baffles me most is that Darko Milicic signed a 4 year/20 mil deal with the T-Wolves. Really? Darko? Really?  :D :D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »
Not surprised Rudy gay got a max contract, but I am surprised it came from Memphis on day 1.  I was expecting a team who lost out on LBJ, Bosh, Wade to sign him to max and try and promote that as a crowning jewel for an organization, but apparently Memphis decided they wanted to hang on to this "jewel" lol

Yeah, I mean, Rudy Gay is a good player, but he should not be making this much money.  He's a decent piece, but he's not a guy to build around.  He's young enough, so maybe he'll earn his keep, but I just see this coming back to haunt the Grizzlies in 3 years. 

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »
There is bound to be a terrible contracts guiser this free agent period.  If you think about all these teams have been clearing space to sign LeBron, Wade or Bosh with Max contracts, but now there are so many teams that have done so that there is a ton of money for everyone else in the free agent class.  Teams will use their cap space because you can't roll it over to next season and therefore grossly over spend on mid-level talent.  It's a problem the NBA needs to address.  Also, the teams need to sell to their fans that they landed someone key, when in reality they landed a so so player for way too much money!

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Yeah, I mean, Rudy Gay is a good player, but he should not be making this much money.  He's a decent piece, but he's not a guy to build around.  He's young enough, so maybe he'll earn his keep, but I just see this coming back to haunt the Grizzlies in 3 years. 
They aren't the only franchise that is going to make this type of deal... look at ATL already doing the same for an old Joe Johnson.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »
Amir Johnson (and his 6 points, 5 boards per game) just got a 5-year, $34M deal from Toronto.

Man, I wish I was 6'8"!

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:31:18 AM »
Amir Johnson (and his 6 points, 5 boards per game) just got a 5-year, $34M deal from Toronto.

Man, I wish I was 6'8"!

Yeesh.  Makes me feel a little better about the Drew Gooden deal, but only by comparison. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »
I wish I had come up with this line:

Even Gilbert Arenas thinks giving Joe Johnson $119 million is crazy.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
Its looking more and more like everyone is going to stay put.  Johnson staying, wade staying, gay staying.  Bosh will move (most likely miami), stoudamire will move.  Nowitski will probally stay.  That leaves Boozer, who will probally leave, and Lebron, who could just as easily stay put.  That means NY, NJ, and Chicago could be fighting for stoudamire and Boozer, leaving 2 max contracts for 5, maybe 6 max contract spots depending how chicago manuvers.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »

Man, I wish I was 6'8"!

Ha, That and 5 good games in april is all it takes.