[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Excessive? Seattle Police Officer  (Read 7818 times)

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
Excessive? Seattle Police Officer
« on: June 16, 2010, 04:12:29 PM »
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this officer's use of force (punching the 17 year old girl directly in the face).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2638

Personally, I think it's a bit excessive.  Yes, the full circumstance isn't fully shown in the video, but I still don't think this was appropriate.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Excessive? Seattle Police Officer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
Can't have citizens pushing around cops.  

Pepper spray would have been better but it was obvious no respect was shown toward law enforcement and they physically assaulted the officer.  

That said, this will only turn out bad for the officer, he should have kept his cool especially over j walking, that's just stupid. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:19:24 PM by Stone Cold »

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »
I don't really see an assault on the officer.  Yes, they were clearly not listening to the officer and causing a problem, but I didn't see a punch or slap thrown his way.  The 17 yr old stepped in the break the grip the officer had on the suspect and did seem to give a slight shove which to some may be assault, but I don't think it is in this instance.

Wrongs done by both parties if you ask me, but really?  Over J walking?!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
Any grabbing of a police officer is deemed assault. (I think)  While it is unfortunate that the person on the receiving end of this is a 17 yr old girl, but I don't really see any problem in his actions.  He has no way of knowing what the intentions are of the girl or the people that are intervening.  It would have been very easy for someone to grab at his gun in all the commotion.

*I should note that my father was a police officer for 35+ years, so that may influence my opinions.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:47:37 PM »
I feel bad for the girl because I think the punch was excessive.

But... I think I can honestly say that I will go my entire life without getting punched in the face by a cop.

Coincidence? Probably not. I've never laid my hands on a cop, and I never will.

Don't want to get punched? Don't mess with a cop. I know life isn't that simple, but sometimes it is.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:57:31 PM by 2002MUalum »

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
I am happy the officer did what he did.  One girl was getting in the way of an arrest and clearly not cooperating.  Had he not set some sort of standard, it could have escalated farther.

It is easy to sit back in our chairs and say he should have done this or should have done that, but in the heat of the moment, its not that easy.

Kudos to the police officer, and i really hope this doesn't turn into the next beer summit at the white house. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Any grabbing of a police officer is deemed assault. (I think)  While it is unfortunate that the person on the receiving end of this is a 17 yr old girl, but I don't really see any problem in his actions.  He has no way of knowing what the intentions are of the girl or the people that are intervening.  It would have been very easy for someone to grab at his gun in all the commotion.

This is correct. Its two on one (at least), they are pushing him and grabbing him, etc. I am guessing department policies would have supported him pulling his gun in that situation, had he deemed it necessary. I have hard time criticizing the cop when the two others were clearly instigating trouble, putting him and others at risk, and breaking the law. As is all too typical, the wrong person is being criticized.

Ditto to the comment that I will never get punched in the face by a cop.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
I'll tell you who needs to get punched in the face....this guy.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
Justified.  You don't grab the arm of an officer that's trying to cuff somebody.  That's really asking for it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »
Maybe someone will have a beer with him and make it all better

Don't touch a cop...period.  Listen to a cop....period.

Was the punch excessive?  Probably, but was done in a split second.  If she isn't resisting arrest and the other girl not putting her hands and assaulting him (yes, that's an assault)....does she get punched?  Nope.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Probably spill over from the Bay View graduation.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
Totally excessive, he should have tazed the chick instead.

Can't say I feel sorry for the girl.  If it was two 17 year old boys that were pushing around a cop, I doubt there would be too many questions. 

BTW...in other odd cop news...don't shoot at zombie's in case they turn out to be cops...

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=22351
LONGMONT — A man who fired four shots at a Longmont police officer who tried to arrest him on May 8 told investigators later that he believed he was being pursued by a zombie, according to Boulder District Attorney’s Office reports.

Longmont police Officer David Blake returned fire on Brandon Duke near Main Street and Boston Avenue and struck Duke once in the arm and once in the back. Another bullet grazed Duke’s head.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
I fail to understand how she is the victim after not only she resisted a ticket, but grabbed the officer.  With the way that she was slapping at him, she should consider herself lucky she wasn't hurt further. But hey she is a 17 year old girl in America, the most power class of individual in our great nation.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32:40 AM »
the loss of respect for authority figures continues.  note the number of police chases.  criminals run from the law, hurt innocent bystanders,  it's the cops fault...what if this girl had a weapon, or got a hold of the policeman's gun or other weapon and innocents were harmed??  then it's the cops fault...
sometimes one has to do what he has to do...whale on the bitch and throw her in jail, or what's left of her.  time for respect for the law to return.  last time i checked, j-walking is against most city ordinances.  cops trying to keep citizens safe/fom getting run over by a car.  it's the ole "broken window" approach to law enforcement.  need to start somewhere 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »
sometimes one has to do what he has to do...whale on the bitch and throw her in jail, or what's left of her. 

Wow... I'm speechless. =/

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »
sometimes one has to do what he has to do...whale on the bitch and throw her in jail, or what's left of her.  time for respect for the law to return.  last time i checked, j-walking is against most city ordinances.  cops trying to keep citizens safe/fom getting run over by a car.  it's the ole "broken window" approach to law enforcement.  need to start somewhere  

Political bomb deleted: Go Marquette
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:04:31 AM by reinko »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 08:41:03 AM »
Yet you are the same fella showing up at teabagger rallies afraid of the communist boogeyman police state that will take over this nation.

Respecting the law is important, and this woman was way over the line. Advocating for the cops in this instance does not equate to giving law enforcement a blank check to disregard reasonable restraints on unlawful search and seizure.  I'd be afraid of that, too.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »
Yet you are the same fella showing up at teabagger rallies afraid of the communist boogeyman police state that will take over this nation.

Ya, participating in peaceful rallies is totally contradictory to expecting citizens to respect the law! Get your story straight and come back to us wyzgy!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:49:59 AM »

reinko- don't be an ass.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Ok, I'm the ass.  I am the one who advocated for this:  "sometimes one has to do what he has to do...whale on the bitch and throw her in jail, or what's left of her."

I threw a bomb that touched a nerve on some folks, for that I apologize.

Edit: I am done, I broke my own rule of no politics. Go Marquette.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:02:10 AM by reinko »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
1) It makes no difference whether she was 17 or 27 or 57.  But the media loves to sensationalize stories when minors are involved for some reason.

2) This wasn't excessive force, this was self-defense - imagine what would have happened if one of the two thuggettes would have pulled a gun.  Now what do you do.  Will Jesse Jackson be at the officer's funeral because he was "brave" enough to put the comfort of his assailant in front of his own personal safety?

In a two-on-one situation - no matter if you're a private citizen or a police officer - there are two ways to protect yourself: 1) run away or 2) neutralize one of the assailants immediately so to even the numbers.

Most police officers would rather die in the line of duty than run away, and sometimes, a punch is the quickest means to even the numbers.  Although in bad taste, justified.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
reinko- don't be an ass.

the problem is that wyz and many other drop little gems like these all the time, and they never retract them.

I fully expect you to show up in threads where it happens, and give them crap too.

More on topic,  I am more liberal than most, but you guys all have it right.  YOU DON'T TOUCH A POLICE OFFICER.  Who are this girl's parents that didn't teach her that?  

I hope the girl gets charged with assaulting an officer.

A lot of times officers overstep their boundaries, this is not one of them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:30:20 AM by Hards_Alumni »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
There were two girls shoving him while he was trying to arrest them.  He needed to do something but just drawing the tazer would have been enough.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »
There were two girls shoving him while he was trying to arrest them.  He needed to do something but just drawing the tazer would have been enough.

Do we know he had a tazer?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »
the problem is that wyz and many other drop little gems like these all the time, and they never retract them.

I fully expect you to show up in threads where it happens, and give them crap too.

More on topic,  I am more liberal than most, but you guys all have it right.  YOU DON'T TOUCH A POLICE OFFICER.  Who are this girl's parents that didn't teach her that?  

I hope the girl gets charged with assaulting an officer.

A lot of times officers overstep their boundaries, this is not one of them.

+1000

I kept thinking to myself after I saw that stupid video, "Would I ever attempt to stop a police officer from arresting my friend?"  The answer is HELL NO.  Who thinks it's ok to resist or fight law enforcement?  But of course it's a race thing not a stupidity thing.