collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: is this how high school graduation ceremonies go now??  (Read 9725 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
is this how high school graduation ceremonies go now??
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
this is milwaukee bayside h.s.-wow how times have changed !!  i have a lot of opinions about this, but, man i dont remember my parents or those of my classmates being so disruptive and classless and disrespectful and...and these are the kids that we are looking to take over the next generation and...good  dancers though  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEBMC8cMtio

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: is this how high school graduation ceremonies go now??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »
Not to sound racist, but it's an inner-city thing. I went to Racine Horlick that has a mixed student population and you can really tell the difference in action. The suburban kids were the ones bored cause they all expected to graduate, whereas it was more of a celebration for those in the inner city. It's sad that its a big deal for these kids to graduate, but these kids actually beat the odds of very low graduation rates in southeastern wisconsin cities.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
That's pretty sad. I'm embarrassed for the way this reflects on the City of Milwaukee. I'm not sure if this is more emblematic of our public school system or the generation. Regardless, it just reaffirms my feelings that I should send my kids to a private school.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »
That's pretty sad. I'm embarrassed for the way this reflects on the City of Milwaukee. I'm not sure if this is more emblematic of our public school system or the generation. Regardless, it just reaffirms my feelings that I should send my kids to a private school.

I don't know where you live, but I would be careful sending your kids to a private school just because it is private.  There are a lot of very good private schools...and there are a lot of bad private schools.

My kids graduated from a small town public school and the Lutheran school in the same county is terrible.  The Catholic school in the county over is better...but not as good as the public schools.  I'm sure if you are in a big metro area that it would be different.

And there was nothing like this at their graduation.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
Not to sound racist, but it's an inner-city thing. I went to Racine Horlick that has a mixed student population and you can really tell the difference in action. The suburban kids were the ones bored cause they all expected to graduate, whereas it was more of a celebration for those in the inner city. It's sad that its a big deal for these kids to graduate, but these kids actually beat the odds of very low graduation rates in southeastern wisconsin cities.

Really, there's nothing racial about it. I went to Tosa West and it was the same deal. Those who had postgraduate education lined up behaved, as did their families. The ones who didn't, and just barely graduated, were more disruptive as were their families. This went across racial lines.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »
I don't know where you live, but I would be careful sending your kids to a private school just because it is private.  There are a lot of very good private schools...and there are a lot of bad private schools.

North side of Milwaukee, not sure if it's classed as Brown Deer or not because I just moved in less than a month ago. But most likely I'll be in Milwaukee for at least the next 22 years, and MPS doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. And expected work commitments will prevent me from moving outside the city limits, so as nice as some of the public school systems might be, it may not be an option.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Pretty much agree.  It all depends on the environment you were brought up in and the expectations set for you and your future.

If this is the expectation that they have set for themselves and others have set for them and they have achieved that goal there is nothing wrong in celebrating the fact that they have done so, however it is ridiculous when it turns to just being rude and inappropriate to others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »
North side of Milwaukee, not sure if it's classed as Brown Deer or not because I just moved in less than a month ago. But most likely I'll be in Milwaukee for at least the next 22 years, and MPS doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. And expected work commitments will prevent me from moving outside the city limits, so as nice as some of the public school systems might be, it may not be an option.

Yeah...then I'd go with private schools.  I was raised in the public schools, my mom taught in them, my kids go to them...but I would never send my kids to MPS.

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:55:25 PM »
Reason #1 you don't hand out the actual Diplomas during the graduation ceremony.  It seemed that a majority of the booing was coming from the section where the filming was taking place.  You're telling me there were no parents responsible enough to go over and tell these hoodlums to show some respect and shut up?  Disgraceful for that entire community IMO.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »
I'd like to say that it is unfortunate that a few ruined it for the majority, but it appears that most of the student body and many of the spectators were involved in the disruption.  Thus, are unfair stereotypes perpetuated.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
Really, there's nothing racial about it. I went to Tosa West and it was the same deal. Those who had postgraduate education lined up behaved, as did their families. The ones who didn't, and just barely graduated, were more disruptive as were their families. This went across racial lines.

Tosa East was quiet, calm and respectful.  There was cheering for individuals from their families, but it was concluded by the time the next student's name was called.  It wasn't until the end of the ceremony when 5-10 of our 380 classmate's names weren't called that we even realized that some people don't graduate high-school.

I'd be pissed if my graduation were interrupted because some asshat's family decided to act like a bunch of idiots just because they love the attention. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »
Were they allowed to do an opening prayer at the ceremony....now that really would have been disruptive.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
Tosa East was quiet, calm and respectful.  There was cheering for individuals from their families, but it was concluded by the time the next student's name was called.  It wasn't until the end of the ceremony when 5-10 of our 380 classmate's names weren't called that we even realized that some people don't graduate high-school.

I'd be pissed if my graduation were interrupted because some asshat's family decided to act like a bunch of idiots just because they love the attention. 

I have no idea why police weren't called.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »

My kids graduated from a small town public school and the Lutheran school in the same county is terrible.  The Catholic school in the county over is better...but not as good as the public schools.  I'm sure if you are in a big metro area that it would be different.

And there was nothing like this at their graduation.

+1
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

muhoosier260

• All American

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:51 PM »
You're telling me there were no parents responsible enough to go over and tell these hoodlums to show some respect and shut up?  Disgraceful

i believe this is where part of the problem lies.  either no parent, or one parent-usually the mom and a very young mother at that.  dad is either awol or in jail-not the best role model-this is really a sad situation in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:53:12 PM by wyzgy »

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 02:41:48 AM »
To be fair, I attended Milwaukee Hamilton's graduation and it went off without incident. 

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 06:36:24 AM »
To be fair, I attended Milwaukee Hamilton's graduation and it went off without incident. 

in other words, the way these ceremonies are SUPPOSED to go ;D

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »
I would have walked off the dias and mailed out the diplomas.  How embarrassing!  Lets pump 10's of millions more into that school for facilities!  It isn't too surprising that the kids misbehave..., but the audience was idiotic.  I can imagine the high degree of discipline and respect that is taught in the homes.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
and last year's graduation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-888tmo08&feature=related

Oh my God people are crossing the street and carrying balloons! What a DISGRACE!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »
It shouldn't be as expensive or complicated as people think to fix the schools. http://providenceeffect.org/
Required parent involvement + teachers held accountable + daily mission statement = 10+ years of 100% college placement for inner city chicago highschool.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
It shouldn't be as expensive or complicated as people think to fix the schools. http://providenceeffect.org/
Required parent involvement + teachers held accountable + daily mission statement = 10+ years of 100% college placement for inner city chicago highschool.
It can't be that easy or it would have been done by now.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »
Oh my God people are crossing the street and carrying balloons! What a DISGRACE!

....and three squad cars with lights and sirens, something that indicates an incident, as the video title says. an uncommon sight at a graduation for sure.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
It can't be that easy or it would have been done by now.

At any point in human history you can find instances of that attitude keeping things from being fixed. 
It hasn't been done because entrenched systems are not prone to upheaval. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »
At any point in human history you can find instances of that attitude keeping things from being fixed. 

actually, in 'Freakonomics'  the success of the Chicago school system experiment is debunked.  The teachers actually gave the answers to the students as it was easier than teaching them..., and they kept their jobs.  Consequences are part of the answer, yes, but better watchdogs are too.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
  Kinda' making point, aren't you?

miamiflashfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »

I grew up in Brown Deer and moved out after third grade because my parents thought the schools were going downhill, and Brown Deer obviously isn't even MPS.  Even in third grade, I felt that I wasn't getting a good education because the teachers couldn't keep the kids who didn't want to learn under control.  Now I go to Mukwonago High School and receive a great education in my opinion.  All I have to say is do your research (which I'm sure you will), because even some of the non-MPS school districts in the Milwaukee area are becoming "infected" by the inner-city and are heading in the wrong direction.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 11:48:43 PM »
wow.... I'm not going to say anything else because I don't want to sound like a racist, but I could really say a lot...what a disgrace.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 08:27:27 AM »
wow.... I'm not going to say anything else because I don't want to sound like a racist, but I could really say a lot...what a disgrace.

translation: I am a racist

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
translation: I am a racist
  HAH!

Off the subject, but anyone see the news last night .. Eagle was hit by a tornado, and they were interviewing the Village President.  He had on a shirt with huge red lettering:  REDNECK DAD.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
not only saw it, but LMAO!!! I have dealt w/ him on some property issues in the recent past.  He seems to be very much 'by the book' in spite of his laid back appearance.  Have to believe I would have thrown on a different shirt, but pretty funny.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:49 PM »
actually, in 'Freakonomics'  the success of the Chicago school system experiment is debunked.  The teachers actually gave the answers to the students as it was easier than teaching them..., and they kept their jobs.  Consequences are part of the answer, yes, but better watchdogs are too.

You have no clue what I'm talking about.  Those were isolated teachers who were caught years ago.  
None of whom were from the specific school (Providence St. Mel) I'm talking about.   It is located in a terrible neighborhood, filled with low income (black) students and sends 100% to college every year.  With over 50% of them going to major universities and the school as a whole testing in the 80th percentile.   I'd love to see someone debunk their results.

Freakenomics is good but you should step it up to Gladwell.  Tipping point, outliers, etc

feedback